Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What do you mean Rhyme?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhmcjen wrote:
What do you mean Rhyme?

Meaning that the people I worked with were horrible individuals, intentionally cruel and beyond A-type, most were at least morally reprehensible if nothing else, but some downright went out of their way to make life difficult for others. It's dissapointing to know those same people are sitting on huge bonuses right now.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
lhmcjen wrote:
What do you mean Rhyme?

Meaning that the people I worked with were horrible individuals, intentionally cruel and beyond A-type, most were at least morally reprehensible if nothing else, but some downright went out of their way to make life difficult for others. It's dissapointing to know those same people are sitting on huge bonuses right now.

Patrick Bateman type?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
helg wrote:
rhyme wrote:
lhmcjen wrote:
What do you mean Rhyme?

Patrick Bateman type?

No, cause he was nice to people in public. GS people ain't.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
helg wrote:
rhyme wrote:
lhmcjen wrote:
What do you mean Rhyme?

Patrick Bateman type?

No, cause he was nice to people in public. GS people ain't.

He was only nice to people who were stronger than him. The rest he treated like **** :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
To be honest, I have no intention of going into finance. But 8 billion pounds (a tad less than $16B) in bonuses is absurd. Few companies even have that as their annual revenue.

Originally posted by dukes on 14 Dec 2006, 06:57.
Last edited by dukes on 14 Dec 2006, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
lhmcjen wrote:
What do you mean Rhyme?

Please elaborate...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
To be honest, I have intention of going into finance. But 8 billion pounds (a tad less than $16B is absurd. Few companies even have that as their annual revenue.

Yea, and I think thats what makes it irritating. It's so excessive, it's insane. Granted, you go work for GS, you loose your life. Completely. Sleeping underneath your desk because it takes too long to get home and come back - showering in the gym because you don't have time to go home and do it. You throw away your life for several years in return for lots of money. In other words, if anyone out there deserves to get big bonuses, its the people at GS.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm broke and plenty hungry... count me in!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
lhmcjen wrote:
What do you mean Rhyme?

Please elaborate...

I could go on for hours about this... what specifically do you want to know? Keep in mind, my experiences, are just that - my experiences.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am willing to trade parts of my life for large sums of cash.
Where do I sign up?

They should just make a machine that can suck away 5 - 10 years of your life and dump out money on the other end. I'd be up for that also...

:wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
I am willing to trade parts of my life for large sums of cash.
Where do I sign up?

They should just make a machine that can suck away 5 - 10 years of your life and dump out money on the other end. I'd be up for that also...

:wink:

An MBA can work like that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sucks 2 years of your life and dump out money afterwards :twisted:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would suggest avoiding New York if at all possible. I totally agree with Rhyme about not being able to go home for showers and about how terrible the people can be. But if I have found that part of it is the banking (and law) culture of New York. The problem, of course, is that a great majority of Investment Banking jobs are found in New York; but some are available in Los Angeles, San Francisco and a few other places and the people and environment tend to be nicer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with you pelihu, having lived in manhattan for the past 9 years its easy to see that personal lives are expected to take a back seat to work priorities, no matter what sector. its a bit cliched but the line between the 2 is more than blurred, it doesn't exist.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
sujith wrote:
I agree with you pelihu, having lived in manhattan for the past 9 years its easy to see that personal lives are expected to take a back seat to work priorities, no matter what sector. its a bit cliched but the line between the 2 is more than blurred, it doesn't exist.

There is a line. On one side is work, on the other is life. You stay on one side.

I had a pillow underneath my desk at Goldman. I showered at a local gym. I didn't even work out. I bought cheap underwear, wore it, and threw it out because I didn't have time to do laundry. I knew a guy who paid the maintenance staff to put a tiny bed in a utility closet. He basically lived there. On days where I showed up after 7am, I usually got a tongue lashing. Sometimes it was good natured "What are you working banking hours now?" other days it was not so polite. Dinners out were usually excruitiating, as your "rank" in the firm was largely determined by how profitable your division had been the last quarter. If your division had not done well (and to give you an idea of how much they look at this - they actually list divisions on pamphlets - not alphabetically, but by profit. I don't know if they still do, but hey, you have to be a bit insane to reprint stuff just because some group had an extra $10MM over another) it wasn't uncommon for people to publicly trash you. I remember one dinner in particular, where a VP went around the table asking for people's opinions, and when he got to me he stopped and said "You don't matter, we'll skip you." That's goldman for you. Step on everyone you can, smash your coworkers into submission and claw your way to the top.

Over the last few years, I've come to realize a few things:

1) I want to make enough money to enjoy life and travel and life comfortably, but I don't need to be rich to have a good time.

2) I'd rather make less and be happy and have time to do things, especially while I'm still in my 20s, than work long hours and make more money. Whats the point of making money if you dont have time to spend it?

3) I like working for myself the most. It's scary and exciting, and it's also, usually, the most lucrative choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme I DEFINATELY agree.... i am a auditor and i've worked those 1am nights VERY rarely but i thought to myself if i did this all the time i would absolutely HATE my life because I'd never enjoy it... i am in the smae boat i want to make money but i dont need a lot jst enough to travel, be happy, and hopefully support a family one day... for now i just help my own parents and that makes me happy... and now its off to do my MBA which also makes me happy :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]