Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45 (Online)
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [1]
Send PM
Re: Best time for taking the GMAT after 10-day cramming? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey bb, Menlo claims it's been significantly tightened in October 2020 at the upper levels. I'm not sure of the accuracy, but linked to them as their's is more recent.

Originally posted by ved02 on 12 May 2021, 15:36.
Last edited by ved02 on 12 May 2021, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
agentcooper wrote:
Hi all, I have a question about date selection, would love some input!

I know cramming isn't ideal but here's my situation:

I did GMAT 4 times 4 years ago - got 700 3 times. Now I'm trying again and shooting for 730+. Did the official practice tests without studying, got 750 and 710.

Now - My work situation is pretty intense: I typically do 12-14 hour days. So, I'm taking next week off just focusing on studying. I plan on starting this Saturday so I have 5/15 - 5/24: 10 full days.

My plan is to 1) review my saved questions from 4 years ago, 2) do a CAT every second day, and 3) go through as many of the OG Verbal/Quant review questions as possible.

I have a few options for test dates:
[*] 5/26 @ 8 AM - pretty much right after my 10-day bootcamp. Downside is I will likely be buried in work on 5/25 and won't have any bandwidth to study
[*] 6/1 or 6/2 or 6/4 - I can take the day before the test to study

My question is this: based on your experience, what's the optimal time for taking the GMAT after cramming?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to hear about your work situation. I can understand. A cousin of mine did a similar thing cramming. It sort of worked out but it was pretty crazy.
I am actually not good with cramming.... so I have no advice for you on the best process for it. I would just say I hope you will learn things and remember them... I am very curious how it goes so please update us once you take the test.

As to the test itself, I would suggest NOT studying the day before. Think about it - if you are going to have an eating contest, you don't want to do a big dinner the night before. GMAT is kind of like :lol: you want to be fresh and performing at the top your abilities. If you think spending a day before doing questions will energize you the day after to perform then great but if you are just trying to get 1 more of crazy studying, then I would say don't. You have done the cramming before so you have had your shot. I would suggest taking the day before the gmat easy and perhaps cramming for 8 days, take 1 day off, and take the test then.

P.S. My approach was actually studying 2 hours before work. I know it is super tricky for people who are in demanding types of jobs (the same case with my cousin. It is tough). Anyway, I would highly recommend making lots of notes and writing down what you are learning. Write it all down as notes and make pages and pages of notes - that will help you remember it.

I am worried. It is a very risky plan. I hope it works for you. Feel free to post if you have any other questions/ideas. Ideally would be to take some decent amount of time to prep (def not more than a month or two)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb makes a great point. I'm usually great at cramming, did that for CFA and most of my exams. But the key thing to succeed, for me, has always been a great word document, with errors, key learnings, good questions I got wrong, and other observations. On the final day, I usually just go through it and internalise. Typically I whittle it down to stuff I find tricker as I get closer to the exam. Currently, my Verbal doc and Quant doc are around 30 pages each!

Best of luck! :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22038 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi agentcooper,

If you take the test on 6/1 (or later) would you have any time to study between May 26th and your test date?
Current Student
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi agentcooper,

If you take the test on 6/1 (or later) would you have any time to study between May 26th and your test date?

I would but not a ton. Maybe 1 hour a day. It would be at the end of day when I'm exhausted though, so not ideal. Weekends I can devolve ~8 hours.
Current Student
Send PM
ved02 wrote:
I think go with 6/2 or 6/4. Here's an analogy: A person planning to run their first marathon would practise running increasing distances everyday, but take 1-2 days off prior to the actual event. He won't run 50k just before the event. In the case of GMAT, light revision and practise is fine but wouldn't recommend a CAT.

That said, 10 days cramming might not be enough. You need time to internalise and need to be pretty fresh and relaxed when giving the actual test to maximise your potential. If your Quant is solid around Q48-51, then I'd suggest devote less time to it and just refresh the basic fundamentals with your previous error log. Prioritise on maximising your Verbal as it's far more bang for the buck. The higher scores are skewed towards a high verbal over quant. The scoring matrix's here if interested: https://menlocoaching.com/mba-applicati ... ore-table/

Thank you! That's super helpful. Will definitely focus on verbal.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
agentcooper wrote:
Hi all, I have a question about date selection, would love some input!

I know cramming isn't ideal but here's my situation:

I did GMAT 4 times 4 years ago - got 700 3 times. Now I'm trying again and shooting for 730+. Did the official practice tests without studying, got 750 and 710.

Now - My work situation is pretty intense: I typically do 12-14 hour days. So, I'm taking next week off just focusing on studying. I plan on starting this Saturday so I have 5/15 - 5/24: 10 full days.

My plan is to 1) review my saved questions from 4 years ago, 2) do a CAT every second day, and 3) go through as many of the OG Verbal/Quant review questions as possible.

I have a few options for test dates:
[*] 5/26 @ 8 AM - pretty much right after my 10-day bootcamp. Downside is I will likely be buried in work on 5/25 and won't have any bandwidth to study
[*] 6/1 or 6/2 or 6/4 - I can take the day before the test to study

My question is this: based on your experience, what's the optimal time for taking the GMAT after cramming?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to hear about your work situation. I can understand. A cousin of mine did a similar thing cramming. It sort of worked out but it was pretty crazy.
I am actually not good with cramming.... so I have no advice for you on the best process for it. I would just say I hope you will learn things and remember them... I am very curious how it goes so please update us once you take the test.

As to the test itself, I would suggest NOT studying the day before. Think about it - if you are going to have an eating contest, you don't want to do a big dinner the night before. GMAT is kind of like :lol: you want to be fresh and performing at the top your abilities. If you think spending a day before doing questions will energize you the day after to perform then great but if you are just trying to get 1 more of crazy studying, then I would say don't. You have done the cramming before so you have had your shot. I would suggest taking the day before the gmat easy and perhaps cramming for 8 days, take 1 day off, and take the test then.

P.S. My approach was actually studying 2 hours before work. I know it is super tricky for people who are in demanding types of jobs (the same case with my cousin. It is tough). Anyway, I would highly recommend making lots of notes and writing down what you are learning. Write it all down as notes and make pages and pages of notes - that will help you remember it.

I am worried. It is a very risky plan. I hope it works for you. Feel free to post if you have any other questions/ideas. Ideally would be to take some decent amount of time to prep (def not more than a month or two)

Thank you bb, I too am worried :cry: If I don't give this muscle memory approach a go and ride the momentum I fear I won't get a chance to be fully immersed or hit 730. I'll definitely keep you posted!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
PS. You quant is already at 50. The max you can get is Q51… you should know those things … you are scaring me a bit 😂

agentcooper wrote:
ved02 wrote:
I think go with 6/2 or 6/4. Here's an analogy: A person planning to run their first marathon would practise running increasing distances everyday, but take 1-2 days off prior to the actual event. He won't run 50k just before the event. In the case of GMAT, light revision and practise is fine but wouldn't recommend a CAT.

That said, 10 days cramming might not be enough. You need time to internalise and need to be pretty fresh and relaxed when giving the actual test to maximise your potential. If your Quant is solid around Q48-51, then I'd suggest devote less time to it and just refresh the basic fundamentals with your previous error log. Prioritise on maximising your Verbal as it's far more bang for the buck. The higher scores are skewed towards a high verbal over quant. The scoring matrix's here if interested: https://menlocoaching.com/mba-applicati ... ore-table/

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Might be helpful to think back to the previous times you gave the GMAT. How many days did you wait for each of them? Did you perform any better/worse depending on the amount of time?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
PS. You quant is already at 50. The max you can get is Q51… you should know those things … you are scaring me a bit 😂

agentcooper wrote:
ved02 wrote:

Posted from my mobile device

I will say take 1 day off just before the exam.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think you have to take one day off before the exam. it's easy for you.
Send PM
Expert Reply
agentcooper wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi agentcooper,

I would but not a ton. Maybe 1 hour a day. It would be at the end of day when I'm exhausted though, so not ideal. Weekends I can devolve ~8 hours.

What did you end up deciding to do?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all! bb ved02 gmatknightDOTcom ScottTargetTestPrep
I wanted to give you an update - I did my test today at 1 PM and got 730 (Q50 V38) which is my target score!

My preparation went as planned - I took a week off and studied for 9 consecutive days. Then for about a week or so, I studied ~2 hours a day.

I actually ran out of time during the verbal section... I had ~27 min left when I was at Q15 and I guessed a few answers towards the end. But I suppose I got very lucky...?

Any way, I want to thank you all for chiming in and extending your expertise. As many people have said in the past, GMAT Club has been of immense help!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow! Congratulations agentcooper! That's a great score!
Super cool you have been able to get there! V38 and guessing questions, you must have done well and maybe were lucky, but I think you did well :-)

P.S. Join us at the MBA Spotlight Virtual MBA Fair in 2 weeks! All top 20 schools will be there.
Register here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ucp.php?mode=fair_register
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Send PM
Congrats agentcooper! Best of luck with your apps :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
agentcooper wrote:
Hi all! bb ved02 gmatknightDOTcom ScottTargetTestPrep
I wanted to give you an update - I did my test today at 1 PM and got 730 (Q50 V38) which is my target score!

My preparation went as planned - I took a week off and studied for 9 consecutive days. Then for about a week or so, I studied ~2 hours a day.

I actually ran out of time during the verbal section... I had ~27 min left when I was at Q15 and I guessed a few answers towards the end. But I suppose I got very lucky...?

Any way, I want to thank you all for chiming in and extending your expertise. As many people have said in the past, GMAT Club has been of immense help!

Congrats!!!
GMAT Club Bot