Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Journalist
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [15]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GRE 1: Q165 V153
Send PM
Journalist
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [2]
Send PM
Re: Is MBA really worth the $200K and 2 years? [#permalink]
Kudos
mSKR wrote:
Wonderful !
Thanks for the insights

Thank you, mSKR :) Would love to know your takeaways!
Journalist
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mivas wrote:
worthless article. avoid reading.

Hi, mivas. Thank you for the feedback.
May I know what would've made the article worthy in your opinion? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [2]
Given Kudos: 415
GMAT 1: 600 Q36 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Kudos
This is a well-balanced article,highlighting both the pros and cons!However,a few important details would be nice - Did "Luis" and "Arya" also have to return to their home country?How can Subash possibly pay off a $200k loan with an indian salary?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [2]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
Anupamakashyap97 wrote:
mSKR wrote:
Wonderful !
Thanks for the insights

Opportunities: Candidates seek out better job/life opportunities and believe that securing an MBA is one way to achieve that.

It is very well suited to my reasoning.

I agree visa could be issue and I know few people who had to come back to his country even after MIT Sloan FP program , but he told that no one can the experience, learning and skills take from him that he learnt there. He was promoted to Head in few years.

Reason for selecting school and in which area is clear to me.

Repercussions and Way forward in the COVID era
My reasoning is same as my friend's : I don't know what lies ahead in future but it doesn't prevent me pursuing MBA.

To conclude, I firmly believe that MBAs are worthy
>> FULLY SUPPORT<<

On a Side Note:
Btw, It is easy to criticize any article. I prefer to take positive things out of it . So Thanks Anupamakashyap97 for writing it up.
I started following you and looking forward to read your next article.

Thanks for the contribution:) :thumbsup:
Journalist
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Send PM
danbrown9445 wrote:
This is a well-balanced article,highlighting both the pros and cons!However,a few important details would be nice - Did "Luis" and "Arya" also have to return to their home country?How can Subash possibly pay off a $200k loan with an indian salary?

Hi, danbrown9445. Thanks a lot for the feedback :)
To answer your question-- Yes, all three had to return to their home countries; however, disclosing information on their loan repayment seemed very personal.
Will definitely try to provide as much insight into it the next time around. :D
Journalist
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Send PM
mSKR wrote:
Anupamakashyap97 wrote:
mSKR wrote:
Wonderful !
Thanks for the insights

Opportunities: Candidates seek out better job/life opportunities and believe that securing an MBA is one way to achieve that.

It is very well suited to my reasoning.

I agree visa could be issue and I know few people who had to come back to his country even after MIT Sloan FP program , but he told that no one can the experience, learning and skills take from him that he learnt there. He was promoted to Head in few years.

Reason for selecting school and in which area is clear to me.

Repercussions and Way forward in the COVID era
My reasoning is same as my friend's : I don't know what lies ahead in future but it doesn't prevent me pursuing MBA.

To conclude, I firmly believe that MBAs are worthy
>> FULLY SUPPORT<<

On a Side Note:
Btw, It is easy to criticize any article. I prefer to take positive things out of it . So Thanks Anupamakashyap97 for writing it up.
I started following you and looking forward to read your next article.

Thanks for the contribution:) :thumbsup:

Hi, mSKR! Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm glad you had a few takeaways.

Yay! That's so nice to know :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [2]
Given Kudos: 415
GMAT 1: 600 Q36 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Kudos
Anupamakashyap97 wrote:

Hi, . Thanks a lot for the feedback :)
To answer your question-- Yes, all three had to return to their home countries; however, disclosing information on their loan repayment seemed very personal.
Will definitely try to provide as much insight into it the next time around. :D

So not even one of them got a work visa?
I understand your point about not disclosing financial details,but for many applicants from low income countries, the MAIN purpose of doing an MBA from abroad is getting a job in that country.
Would love to hear more about the visa/financial aspect in your next article.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 429
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: Simon
GMAT 1: 580 Q38 V32
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V23
GMAT 3: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 4: 630 Q45 V31 (Online)
GMAT 5: 670 Q47 V35 (Online)
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Is MBA really worth the $200K and 2 years? [#permalink]
Kudos
Anupamakashyap97 great article. However, there are a few questions worth answering. Don't MBA students get an OPT for 12 month after graduation? Did Luis, Arya, and Subhash use it before going to their home countries? And, don't specific MBAs (like MBA in finance) provide a 24-month extension after 12 month of OPT?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [3]
Given Kudos: 351
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Great insights! More so coming from the real experiences of present students from different MBA programs. There is still hope and optimism in all the gloom and doom scenario.

My specific question is - if Indian students in abroad programs have to come back to India for whatever reasons, is not it prudent to go for top Indian programs such ISB PGP, IIM-A PGPX etc. ?

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [2]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
UkrHurricane wrote:
Anupamakashyap97 great article. However, there are a few questions worth answering. Don't MBA students get an OPT for 12 month after graduation? Did Luis, Arya, and Subhash use it before going to their home countries? And, don't specific MBAs (like MBA in finance) provide a 24-month extension after 12 month of OPT?

I know some of the background of these people (I don't know Arya though) but Luis and Subhash did get the OPT and stayed in the US for 12 months. One of them ended up not getting it in the lottery and the other person was either unable to secure it or chose to go back to their home country.... I hope I am not stepping over the privacy curtain here by disclosing any of this :-o

And you are absolutely correct - most Top 30 MBA programs today do offer a 3-year OPT for the 2021 incoming class through the STEM OPT designation (You can see the list here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/top-stem-mba ... 13573.html and many offered it for the last 1-2 years. There are a few schools that were not able to offer it for people graduating even as recently as last year - Spring 2020). Unfortunately these 2 individuals were not eligible for the STEM OPT as their class was not included in STEM designation/option.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mivas wrote:
worthless article. avoid reading.

Could say the same about your post and capitalization skills.... impressed you actually ended your grammatically deficient sentence with a period :-o
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
Can anyone give me more reasons about having to land off Top Tier US program otherwise just dont go for MBA?
are there really opportunities for international students seeking for H1B after graduating from a rank 60-80 program? from my experience this year, admission and fundings are more relaxing and generous for those programs

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [3]
Send PM
Kudos