Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The tricky "than that in" comparison w/ example [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
donnylee wrote:

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paving about S5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

Hi EducationAisle,

Thank you for the follow up.

I'm used to resort to a formulaic technique when it comes to these sort of things. Is there anything wrong for me to think of the correct answer as:

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than they were last year because refiners are paving about S5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

and then drop the words (in blue) to give the answer?

I don't see anything wrong with the above sentence. And if given both the above and the correct answer, surely the I'll choose the correct answer due to economy of words. My prompt is for comments in thinking of an answer in this way: use the unabridged version as a check on its correctness.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: The tricky "than that in" comparison w/ example [#permalink]
Expert Reply
donnylee wrote:
Is there anything wrong for me to think of the correct answer as:

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than they were last year because refiners are paving about S5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

and then drop the words (in blue) to give the answer?

Hi donnylee, this is correct interpretation.

Quote:
if given both the above and the correct answer, surely the I'll choose the correct answer due to economy of words. My prompt is for comments in thinking of an answer in this way: use the unabridged version as a check on its correctness.

Am pretty sure we would never see both of these in the options. However, your initial question was whether mentioning the verb is mandatory, in case of a tense change after the comparison operator.

Hence, I cited the official example to illustrate that despite the tense change after the comparison operator, explicitly mentioning the verb (with correct tense) is not mandatory in all scenarios. These scenarios are detailed out in the comparison chapter of our book.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [2]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 3.9
WE:Consulting (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Comparison Paradoxy [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi All,

I came across the below OG questions and found differences in the OG explanation which I am unable to comprehend.

OQ1: Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

OE1: There is an illogical comparison between prices at the producer level and a time period (a year ago)

OQ2: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

OE2: There is a comparison between this year's and last year's heating-oil prices.

Aren't both the explanations contradicting? What am I missing here?

Experts mikemcgarry, egmat , GMATNinja, KarishmaB, sayantanc2k, daagh, chetan2u
Could you please help me?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Comparison Paradoxy [#permalink]
Expert Reply
KarthikvsGMAT wrote:
Hi All,

I came across the below OG questions and found differences in the OG explanation which I am unable to comprehend.

OQ1: Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

OE1: There is an illogical comparison between prices at the producer level and a time period (a year ago)

OQ2: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

OE2: There is a comparison between this year's and last year's heating-oil prices.

In question 1, the comparison is between prices and a time period. This is incorrect.

Question 2 option (A) is elliptical.
The missing words could very well be
... prices are expected to be higher this year than last [year's prices].
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31909 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
KarthikvsGMAT wrote:
Hi All,

Karthik, I do not think there is anything wrong in the first part. It follows almost the same structure as the second sentence.
Having said that there must be some other errors in sentence 1 that make it wrong. And it is widely believed that although you can never doubt the answer but the explanations are not the best always.

If you are talking of ellipsis it can be done to both..

OQ1: Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than - the prices at the producer level - a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.
So nothing wrong here too. The choice is wrong basically for other reasons
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KarthikvsGMAT wrote:
Hi All,

In my opinion, you're correct. We noticed this at MPrep a while ago and had a discussion about it - I don't think we ever came to a satisfying conclusion, except for 'sometimes the official explanations are misleading.'

In general, if you see something like this ('prices are 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago') in an official problem, look at the other issues first and eliminate whatever you can. If you end up with two answer choices that both seem otherwise correct, but one says 'a year ago' and the other says 'the prices from a year ago', go with the one that spells it out more clearly. But there will most likely be another, clearer issue to work with first.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Comparison Paradoxy [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
KarthikvsGMAT wrote:
Hi All,

Hi Karthik, as others have correctly pointed out, there is nothing wrong in either of these sentences from a comparisons perspective; however, the official explanations are sometimes less than ideal.

In OQ1, the real problem is: .....in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised..... Hurting is not parallel to raised.

An officially correct sentence:

The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970’s.

Again, this is a correct sentence from a comparison perspective.

It would be wrong to consider that its numbers is being incorrectly compared with when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970’s.

The way to read this is:

The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than (its numbers were) when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970’s.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these concepts of comparison, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Use of Higher Than [#permalink]
I need some clarification for the usage of Higher Than in sentence correction questions.

In OG 2019, answer for 758 states this:
Correct: Prices are higher now than (those of a year ago) ...
Incorrect: Prices are higher now than (a year ago)
Reason: "The sentence as written makes an illogical comparison between prices at the producer level and a time period (a year ago); surely the intended comparison is between such prices now and those of a year ago" - Direct quote from OG

But in OG 2019, answer for 772 states this:
Correct: Prices are expected to be higher this year than (last) ...
Incorrect: Prices are expected to be higher this year than (last year's)
Reason: "the possessive year's is not parallel with the adverbial phrase this year" - Direct quote from OG

Focusing specifically on the usage of "higher than" and ignoring all the other errors in the options provided (eg. not parallel), when is it right to compare (prices vs last) and (prices vs that of last year)? I've copied the questions below for your easy reference.

ps: I dont need a breakdown on how you derive the answer - that is available on another existing thread in this forum. Also, i have the view that the objects of comparison should have higher priority than the sentence being parallel, so i would like to exclude parallelism from the discussion for now if possible.

[OG 2019] 758. Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the South are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

(A) than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the South are hurting crops and therefore raised

(B) than those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the South are hurting crops and therefore raising

(C) than a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the South, and are hurting crops and therefore raising

(D) as those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the South hurt crops and therefore raise

(E) as they were a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the South, and are hurting crops and therefore raising

[OG 2019] 772. Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: Use of Higher Than [#permalink]
Expert Reply
NunuBot wrote:
In OG 2019, answer for 758 states this:
Correct: Prices are higher now than (those of a year ago) ...
Incorrect: Prices are higher now than (a year ago)
Reason: "The sentence as written makes an illogical comparison between prices at the producer level and a time period (a year ago); surely the intended comparison is between such prices now and those of a year ago" - Direct quote from OG

Hi NunuBot, am pretty sure that Prices are higher now than a year ago is a correct statement. For that reason, we should consume official explanations with a pinch of salt:).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Re: Use of Higher Than [#permalink]
Thanks for the replies.

I am under the impression that:
... higher A than B ....

Would require both A and B to be comparable and parallel, with being comparable more important than being parallel.

So...
Correct: Market prices are expected to be higher (now) than (a year ago)
Correct: Market is expected to charge a higher (price now) than (those a year ago)

Since (now) and (a year ago) are comparable, and so is (prices now) and (those a year ago).

By the same token:
Incorrect: Market is expected to charge a higher (price now) than (a year ago)
Incorrect: Market is expected to charge a higher (price now) than (last year's)

Given the inconsistencies in the OG's answers on the usage of Higher Than across multiple questions, perhaps I should not rely on this phrase for the initial split.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Use of Higher Than [#permalink]
Expert Reply
NunuBot wrote:
Incorrect: Market is expected to charge a higher (price now) than (a year ago)

Well, this is incorrect for another reason.

When a sentence uses an action verb (charge in this case) and there is a tense change between the two parts of comparison sentence, then it becomes mandatory to explicitly mention the verb with the correct tense. So, the correct sentence will be:

Market is expected to charge a higher price now than it did a year ago.

Or

Market is expected to charge a higher price now than it charged a year ago.

NunuBot wrote:
Incorrect: Market is expected to charge a higher (price now) than (last year's)

This can be eliminated because of parallelism; there is nothing parallel to last year's in the first half of the sentence.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
SC Comparison question - more than [#permalink]
I've my official exam in 3 days and I am still struggling with comparisons.

Can someone help me with how to figure out when is verb required vs not in following comparisons

1. Prices are five percent higher now than a year ago.

My understanding:
What is being compared? - Prices now vs Prices a year ago so it should be
Prices are five percent higher now those of a year ago.

2. Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last
What is being compared? - Prices this year vs Prices last year
Above is correct. I don't understand why following is wrong
Heating-Oil prices are expected to be higher this year and last's (or prices of last year)

I've found myself often struggling with more than, more [verb] than related questions.

Is there any article which I can use?

Thank you
CEO
CEO
Send PM
SC Comparison question - more than [#permalink]
Expert Reply
H Rohit, both the following sentences are correct:

1. Prices are five percent higher now than a year ago.

2. Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last

Quote:
I don't understand why following is wrong
Heating-Oil prices are expected to be higher this year and last's (or prices of last year)

This is not a great construct, more from a parallelism perspective. When we have possessive (such as last's in this case), one would expect a similar construct on the left hand side. For example:

Peter's salary is more than Michael's.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 280
Send PM
Comparison parallelism - "higher x than y" [#permalink]