Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Modifiersx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
tndvekas760 wrote:
HI GMATNinja
I eliminated C for the reason that noun modifier 'having' is incorrectly modifying Eurasia....Am I wrong here?
Further, I eliminated choice B because I thought the use of noun modifier THAT is incorrect (to add more, it is using ,that). I should I not get confused in these kinds of situations. Cause I was following the rules I learnt about modifiers.
Thank You!

The "having" in (C) isn't necessarily wrong. You could certainly argue that it reaches behind the prepositional phrase and modifies "a herbaceous plant."

Luckily, we have a much better reason to get rid of (C), as explained in this post.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sislam04 wrote:
egmat

Kindly can you be explicit as possilbe here because it seems like there's disagreement in the thread with some of the other experts.

Does the comma + -ing modifier only modify the closest action "displaces..." or because of the 'and' parallel marker does it modify the entire thing "That gives...and displaces..." ? It would seem incorrect to say the later is correct because we agreed that in answer A, the action of giving mouth sores has nothing to do with rending the land useless.

Hello sislam04 and lakshya14,

Since both of you have similar doubts, I have tagged both of you in this post. :-)

When a comma + Verb-ing action modifier is preceded by two verbs in the preceding clause, then this action modifier modifies just the preceding verb. The usage is evident through the correct answer choice of this official sentence. It is logical to say that rangeland becomes worthless because leafy spurge displaces grasses and other cattle food.

The following is another correct official sentence in which we see the same usage: To map Earth's interior, geologists use a network of seismometers to chart seismic waves that originate in the earth's crust and ricochet around its [i]interior, traveling most rapidly through cold, dense regions and more slowly through hotter rocks[/i].

In this sentence, the comma + verb-ing modifier "traveling..." logically modifies the preceding verb "ricochet".

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
in option B , how are we allowed to place that after a comma ?
This is an error in most other examples
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arpanahanda01 wrote:
in option B , how are we allowed to place that after a comma ?
This is an error in most other examples

Hi Arpana, let's look at an easier example first.

Arpana owns a car, a 1984 Maruti-800, that is no longer manufactured.

In this example, "a 1984 Maruti-800" is just a non-essential modifier, modifying/describing a car. How do we know this is a non-essential modifier? Well, that's because this modifier is de-limited by commas on both sides. Since this is a non-essential modifier, we can ignore this modifier to expose the core of the sentence.

Arpana owns a car, a 1984 Maruti-800, that is no longer manufactured.

Notice that when you ignore this non-essential modifier, the core of the sentence is:

Arpana owns a car that is no longer manufactured.

Notice there is no comma before that now. So basically, the comma in the original sentence was not before that; the comma was after Maruti-800.

Similarly, with B, the sentence is:

About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia, with milky sap, that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food, rendering rangeland worthless.

So, the core of the sentence is:

About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy spurge that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food, rendering rangeland worthless.

Notice there is no comma before that now. So basically, the comma in the original sentence was not before that; the comma was after sap.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
@AndrewN- Just to confirm if I have understood this question correctly, request you to please let me know if my below summary is correct.

About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displacing grasses and other cattle food and rendering rangeland worthless.

"displacing grasses and other cattle food and rendering rangeland worthless" can refer to any of the following nouns:
1. sap
2. leafy spurge
3. 5 million acres

Option A is wrong because the above modifying phrase can refer to any of these three nouns (that is all three of them make sense meaning-wise)> Hence, there's a clear ambiguity in concluding the actual referent. Eliminate Option A.

In Option B, it is clear that the referent is "leafy spurge" (and of course there are no structural/grammatical errors)- Hence our answer is B.

egmat wrote:
sevenplusplus wrote:
could anyone explain how A is wrong?

Hello sevenplusplus,

I would be glad to help you resolve your doubt. :-)

Let's take a look at the original sentence:

About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displacing grasses and other cattle food and rendering rangeland worthless.

(Blue = subject, Green = verb, Pink = comma + verb-ing modifiers)

Let's understand what the sentence intends to convey. The sentence states that in the US, some 5 million acres of land have been invaded leafy spurge. Describing the leafy spurge, the sentence states that it's a plant from Eurasia. It has milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle. This leafy spurge displaces grasses and other cattle food and renders rangeland worthless.

However, the way this sentence is worded, it suggests that because leafy spurge gives mouth sores to cattle, it displaces grasses and other cattle food and has rendered rangeland worthless.

We get this illogical meaning from the sentence because of the incorrect usage of the comma + verb-ing modifiers* displacing and rendering.

The comma + verb-ing modifier must modify the preceding action logically and must also make sense with the doer of the modified action.

In this official sentence, the comma + verb-ing modifiers displacing and rendering illogically modifies the preceding action gives by presenting the result of this action. Grasses and other cattle food are not displaced and rangeland are not rendered worthless because leafy spurge gives mouth sores to cattle.

This is the reason why Choice A is incorrect.

From the context of the sentence, we can understand that because leafy spurge displaces grasses and other cattle food, rangeland are rendered useless. So we do have this logical cause-and-effect in the sentence that must be communicated in correct grammar.

Let's evaluate Choice B now:

About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia, with milky sap, that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food, rendering rangeland worthless.

This choice correctly conveys the logical intended meaning. The comma + verb-ing modifier displacing has been turned to simple present tense verb displaces. The comma + verb-ing modifier rendering correctly modifies the preceding action displaces, presenting the result of this action. Because the leafy spurge displaces grasses and other cattle food, it renders rangeland worthless.

*The correct usage of comma + verb-ing has been covered in great details and with pertinent examples in our SC course, In fact, this concept features in the Free Trail course offered by e-GMAT. You can register for free at e-gmat.com and review the concept.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:
@AndrewN- Just to confirm if I have understood this question correctly, request you to please let me know if my below summary is correct.

"displacing grasses and other cattle food and rendering rangeland worthless" can refer to any of the following nouns:
1. sap
2. leafy spurge
3. 5 million acres

Option A is wrong because the above modifying phrase can refer to any of these three nouns (that is all three of them make sense meaning-wise)> Hence, there's a clear ambiguity in concluding the actual referent. Eliminate Option A.

In Option B, it is clear that the referent is "leafy spurge" (and of course there are no structural/grammatical errors)- Hence our answer is B.

Yes, Pankaj0901, you are on the right track. You could make a case that the modifier in (A) was even referring to the action of milky sap giving mouth sores to cattle. But that would not make much sense, would it? Since sap gives sores to cattle, grasses are displaced? Hmm... Better to play it safe when in doubt. If (B) is a clearer sentence, the awkward with milky sap phrase notwithstanding, then that is the direction we should go.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Quote:

Let's understand what the sentence intends to convey. The sentence states that in the US, some 5 million acres of land have been invaded leafy spurge. Describing the leafy spurge, the sentence states that it's a plant from Eurasia. It has milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle. This leafy spurge displaces grasses and other cattle food and renders rangeland worthless.

However, the way this sentence is worded, it suggests that because leafy spurge gives mouth sores to cattle, it displaces grasses and other cattle food and has rendered rangeland worthless.

We get this illogical meaning from the sentence because of the incorrect usage of the comma + verb-ing modifiers* displacing and rendering.

The comma + verb-ing modifier must modify the preceding action logically and must also make sense with the doer of the modified action.

In this official sentence, the comma + verb-ing modifiers displacing and rendering illogically modifies the preceding action gives by presenting the result of this action. Grasses and other cattle food are not displaced and rangeland are not rendered worthless because leafy spurge gives mouth sores to cattle.

From the context of the sentence, we can understand that because leafy spurge displaces grasses and other cattle food, rangeland are rendered useless. So we do have this logical cause-and-effect in the sentence that must be communicated in correct grammar.

This choice correctly conveys the logical intended meaning. The comma + verb-ing modifier displacing has been turned to simple present tense verb displaces. The comma + verb-ing modifier rendering correctly modifies the preceding action displaces, presenting the result of this action. Because the leafy spurge displaces grasses and other cattle food, it renders rangeland worthless.

*The correct usage of comma + verb-ing has been covered in great details and with pertinent examples in our SC course, In fact, this concept features in the Free Trail course offered by e-GMAT. You can register for free at e-gmat.com and review the concept.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi egmat

My analysis of the sentence, in addition to yours, is:
a herbaceous plant ... is additional information
And displacing does not make sense with the subject 5 million acres in United States. That is why displacing is not the correct verbing modifier to be used here.

Is this analysis correct?
Or else(without this analysis) how can we say that displacing could not have modified the main clause of the sentence?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
ishikasoni111 wrote:
Hi egmat

My analysis of the sentence, in addition to yours, is:
a herbaceous plant ... is additional information
And displacing does not make sense with the subject 5 million acres in United States. That is why displacing is not the correct verbing modifier to be used here.

Is this analysis correct?
Or else(without this analysis) how can we say that displacing could not have modified the main clause of the sentence?

Hello ishikasoni111,

Thank you for the query. :)

Well, you can look at the modification in that way. However, I simply love this question for the logic it plays on, and that is what I discuss in this question.

Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
sislam04 wrote:
GMATNinja

In your post you use the word 'seems' to say the word 'that' modifies milky sap. Is that because the word 'that' can reach over two prepositional modifiers and touch back to the plant? so one reading would result in a logical meaning with the -ing modifier and in an illogical meaning?

In (B), it is clear that "that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food" modifies "a herbaceous plant from Eurasia." In (A), however, the absence of the commas surrounding "with milky saps" leads us to believe that "that gives mouth sores to cattle" modifies "milky sap" and not "a herbaceous plant from Eurasia" (even though both interpretations are technically possible). In (A), unlike in (B), the meaning is open to interpretation, and that alone gives us one vote in favor if (B) over (A).

Regardless of whether it's the "herbaceous plant" or the "milky sap" that actually gives mouth sores to cattle, (A) has another issue: "giving mouth sores to cattle" doesn't displace grasses. So the use of "displacing" as a modifier in (A) doesn't make much sense. (For more on that, check out our original explanation.)

The meaning makes more sense in (B) -- the herbaceous plant (1) gives mouth sores to cattle and (2) displaces grasses and other cattle food. These two actions are what render the rangeland worthless.

Looping back to your question, I don't think the problem with (A) is that there's one logical interpretation and one illogical interpretation. Instead, I think there are two separate problems. The first problem is that it's unclear what actually gives mouth sores to cattle (is it the milky sap or the plant itself?). The second problem is that the action of giving mouth sores to cattle is not what displaces grasses.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
sevenplusplus wrote:
could anyone explain how A is wrong?

Hello sevenplusplus,

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi egmat VeritasKarishma EducationAisle I have a fundamental query. In most of the explanations, it is mentioned that
Quote:

My question is do the verb-ing modifiers also modify the action of the preceding clause even if that clause is dependent as with option A i.e. we have a dependent clause inside an appositive that gives mouth sores to cattle ?

Your inputs would be much appreciated.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
My question is do the verb-ing modifiers also modify the action of the preceding clause even if that clause is dependent as with option A

If I understand correctly, you are asking whether a present participial phrase can ever modify a dependent clause. The answer is yes.

An example:

Global warming is said to be responsible for extreme weather changes, such as the heavy rains that led to flooding throughout the state of California, causing more than $2 billion in damages, and the heat wave in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States, which was also the cause of a great amount of damage and destruction.

In the above example, present participial phrase (causing...) modifies heavy rains, the subject of the preceding dependent clause.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Full disclosure: I totally got punked by this one during our last verbal chat. Join us for the next one! https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-chat- ... 78-20.html I mean, it's fun to see a guy with an 800 get embarrassed, right? :oops: :-D

As some others have pointed out, this one is all about the intersection of structure and meaning. (And there are already some excellent explanations here, but, well, I promised to write one as penance, so here you go.)

Quote:
A. States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displacing grasses and other cattle food and rendering

I really only notice two things in (A). "That gives mouth sores to cattle" seems to modify "milky sap", and I guess that's OK.

But then at the end of the sentence gives us a pair of parallel "-ing" modifiers, "displacing grasses... and rendering rangeland worthless." And what do they modify?

Hold that thought. We'll come back to that in a second.

Quote:
B. States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia, with milky sap, that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food, rendering

OK, so the added commas around "with milky sap" change things just a tiny bit: "that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses..." now clearly modifies "a herbaceous plant from Eurasia." Hm, that makes a lot of sense.

And now "rendering" clearly modifies the preceding clause, "that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food." That also makes a lot of sense: rangeland is rendered useless by this evil plant that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces their food sources.

Back to (A), then:
Quote:
A. States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displacing grasses and other cattle food and rendering

So wait: in (A), it's the milky sap that gives the mouth sores to cattle -- not the leafy spurge itself, as (B) would indicate. In that sense, (B) seems to be a slightly better choice. It's a bigger problem, presumably, if the entire plant gives mouth sores to cattle.

More importantly: "displacing grasses and rendering rangeland useless", would generally modify the preceding clause. And that's pretty illogical in (A): "that gives mouth sores to cattle" has absolutely nothing to do with "displacing grasses." And in that sense, (B) is much clearer.

So (A) is gone. And the rest are easier to eliminate:

Quote:
C. States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia having milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle and displacing grasses and other cattle food, rendering

Parallelism in (C) is clearly wrong: "... and displacing grasses" is parallel to what, exactly? "Having milky sap", I guess? That's a mess. We can comfortably eliminate (C).

Quote:
D. States, having been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displaces grasses and other cattle food, and renders

I really don't love "having been invaded" in this case. In general, "having + verb" needs to be the first of two actions, and that's just not happening here. (For more on this topic, see our last chat transcript.)

Also, the parallelism at the end of the sentence isn't ideal: "... with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displaces grasses..., and renders rangeland worthless." The sap displaces grasses? That doesn't make sense. (D) is gone.

Quote:
E. States, having been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia that has milky sap giving mouth sores to cattle and displacing grasses and other cattle food, rendering

(E) is similar to (D): "having been" doesn't seem quite right, and "giving mouth sores to cattle" is parallel to "displacing grasses", suggesting that the milky sap displaces grasses -- and that doesn't make sense. (E) is gone, too, and (B) is our winner.

GMATNinja I have two doubts:

(i) in (A), why can't displacing grasses and other cattle food and rendering modify States have been invaded by leafy spurge? Since a herbaceous plant from Eurasia with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle modifies only leafy spurge, next modifier starting with a participle can modify the first clause. Please let me know where am I going wrong

(ii) if the intended meaning of (B) is different from (A), why did we assume that (B) gives the right meaning, and (A) doesn't?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Dear Experts,

I read all posts in this forum. But I am still confused (C) and (B).

I can eliminate D & E because
D - It doesn't make sense that an area displaces by itself
E - Fragment
A - Eliminate because displacing and rendering

But I don't understand why C is incorrect. For me, C is better than B

I understand what the sentence intends to convet.
US have been invaded by leafy spurge. Leafy spurge has milky sap. milky sap gives mouth sores to cattle. This leafy spurge displaces grasses and other cattle food. Therefore, These make rangeland worthless

(C) - conveys this meaning.

(B) changes the meaning. Leafy spurge if-self (not milky sap) gives mouth sores to cattle. Also, For me, ", with milk sap, that.... " is awkward.

Could any expert explain me (B) and (C)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja

In option A, I really read it as "States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displacing grasses and other cattle food and rendering..."

I thought that "a herbaceous....to cattle" provides more info about the leafy spurge and is enclosed within commas and therefore it is the invasion by the leafy spurge that displaces grasses and other cattle food thereby rendering the rangeland worthless.

Would you be able to point out where I am going wrong?
I read through most solutions, I am still unclear.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy [#permalink]
The usage of THAT in option A may be worth looking at.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Full disclosure: I totally got punked by this one during our last verbal chat. Join us for the next one! https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-chat- ... 78-20.html I mean, it's fun to see a guy with an 800 get embarrassed, right? :oops: :-D

As some others have pointed out, this one is all about the intersection of structure and meaning. (And there are already some excellent explanations here, but, well, I promised to write one as penance, so here you go.)

Quote:

I really only notice two things in (A). "That gives mouth sores to cattle" seems to modify "milky sap", and I guess that's OK.

But then at the end of the sentence gives us a pair of parallel "-ing" modifiers, "displacing grasses... and rendering rangeland worthless." And what do they modify?

Hold that thought. We'll come back to that in a second.

Quote:
B. States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia, with milky sap, that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food, rendering

OK, so the added commas around "with milky sap" change things just a tiny bit: "that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses..." now clearly modifies "a herbaceous plant from Eurasia." Hm, that makes a lot of sense.

And now "rendering" clearly modifies the preceding clause, "that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food." That also makes a lot of sense: rangeland is rendered useless by this evil plant that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces their food sources.

Back to (A), then:
Quote:

So wait: in (A), it's the milky sap that gives the mouth sores to cattle -- not the leafy spurge itself, as (B) would indicate. In that sense, (B) seems to be a slightly better choice. It's a bigger problem, presumably, if the entire plant gives mouth sores to cattle.

More importantly: "displacing grasses and rendering rangeland useless", would generally modify the preceding clause. And that's pretty illogical in (A): "that gives mouth sores to cattle" has absolutely nothing to do with "displacing grasses." And in that sense, (B) is much clearer.

So (A) is gone. And the rest are easier to eliminate:

Quote:
C. States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia having milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle and displacing grasses and other cattle food, rendering

Parallelism in (C) is clearly wrong: "... and displacing grasses" is parallel to what, exactly? "Having milky sap", I guess? That's a mess. We can comfortably eliminate (C).

Quote:
D. States, having been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displaces grasses and other cattle food, and renders

I really don't love "having been invaded" in this case. In general, "having + verb" needs to be the first of two actions, and that's just not happening here. (For more on this topic, see our last chat transcript.)

Also, the parallelism at the end of the sentence isn't ideal: "... with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displaces grasses..., and renders rangeland worthless." The sap displaces grasses? That doesn't make sense. (D) is gone.

Quote:
E. States, having been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia that has milky sap giving mouth sores to cattle and displacing grasses and other cattle food, rendering

(E) is similar to (D): "having been" doesn't seem quite right, and "giving mouth sores to cattle" is parallel to "displacing grasses", suggesting that the milky sap displaces grasses -- and that doesn't make sense. (E) is gone, too, and (B) is our winner.

Hi Charles,

As always, your detailed answer is once again very helpful.

I just wanted to clarify something, as you said: "that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses..." now clearly modifies "a herbaceous plant from Eurasia." Hm, that makes a lot of sense.
Why doesn't "that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses..." modifies with milky sap now? Is it because with milky sap is a modifier and a herbaceous plant from Eurasia is an appositive?

Would highly appreciate if you can explain. Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , sayantanc2k, RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert (Carolyn), ccooley , GMATNinjaTwo , SarahPurewal , EMPOWERgmatVerbal (anyone who is available),

Inserting the option (B) in the original sentence makes following:

"About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia, with milky sap, that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food, rendering rangeland worthless."

Why doesn't "that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses..." modifies "with milky sap" now? Is it because "with milky sap" is a modifier and "a herbaceous plant from Eurasia" is an appositive?

Would highly appreciate it if you can explain. Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts