Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Advices needed on improving verbal! [#permalink]
Thanks AndrewN! I did one GMAT prep test and scored 630 V28. I'm planning to reserve the 2nd one for final evaluation.

gmatknightDOTcom Thanks for your reply! Didn't quite get the part on " (for tackling roughly 30 timed questions)" can you kindly elaborate?

Also, anyone has a rough idea how many questions to practice is considered fairly sufficient for CR, SC, RC?
and between reviewing wrong questions and practicing new questions which is more important?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Advices needed on improving verbal! [#permalink]
In a sense, it's not about solving one question with high accuracy; it's about solving 30 under timed conditions. If you have a solving approach that has very high accuracy, but sucks up a lot of time, you may find yourself struggling for time later on during the exam (or mentally tired depending on your solving style).

Li6ning wrote:
Thanks AndrewN! I did one GMAT prep test and scored 630 V28. I'm planning to reserve the 2nd one for final evaluation.

gmatknightDOTcom Thanks for your reply! Didn't quite get the part on " (for tackling roughly 30 timed questions)" can you kindly elaborate?

Also, anyone has a rough idea how many questions to practice is considered fairly sufficient for CR, SC, RC?
and between reviewing wrong questions and practicing new questions which is more important?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
Quote:

Hello again, Li6ning. In response to your follow-up query, there is no set number of questions you need to practice to achieve mastery. Rather, set your sights on achieving a certain level of accuracy within the different question types: quality study time over quantity. Otherwise, you are likely to keep making the same mistakes and will show little improvement, regardless of the number of questions you comb through. I actually wrote a lengthy response fairly recently on common GMAT™ preparation mistakes. Perhaps it will be of use to you.

Good luck, and if you have further questions, you know where to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AndrewN Thanks for the link. I read through it and associated material. I'll change my tactic a little to spend some time on review than just doing questions, and probably start with L600 questions as I was only doing L700 previously.

Thanks! I will try those out and ask if I need more pointers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gmatknightDOTcom I totally agree with you, that it's a mental endurance course.

My way of tackling...
For SC, i usually try to identify the mistake in the original sentence. If I really can't spot any I will move to answer choices to look for difference or split. I try to carry the meaning while examine the choices, but sometimes with longer sentences I don't do it too well.

For CR, i usually read the question stem twice to understand the argument flow, and pre-think. Even if I can't think of exact falsification assumption (E-gmat steps) I will give myself a general direction to look out for in the answer choices. Sometimes my pre-think scenario is not what the answers are offering (eg there could be two possible assumptions 1& 2 to the question, but I only think of 1 in looking out for the answer choices and fail to identify 2 in the choices) I would have a hard time thinking other ways to identify the correct choices. My inference is rather weak. I ran into cases where I'm down to two choices and I'd select the wrong one. For 700 gmatclub question I can only get less than 50% even without giving myself time pressure.

If you have any recommended tactics or suggestion to mine please let me know. Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
There are fundamental issues (i.e. not knowing certain logical traps) and test-taking issues (i.e. time-management). The latter may also include issues with how you read and ABSORB. During a first session, I might ask a student to solve a few questions for me in real time - and walk me through their thinking process/approach.

One thing that may help your SC (when reviewing) is to not only see why an answer choice is correct but also why the incorrect answer choices are wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts