Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 899
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [3]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Caffeine, the stimulant in coffee, has been called “the most widely us [#permalink]
Kudos
junii wrote:
Please someone explain in Detail Q2?

Hey junii, Perhaps citing the exact place where the answer (Option D) lies might help.

1. Caffeine (last sentence of the 2nd paragraph- "Snyder et al. propose that caffeine, which is structurally similar to adenosine, is able to bind to both types of receptors, which prevents adenosine from attaching there and allows the neurons to fire more readily than they otherwise would."

2. Adenosine (2nd to last sentence in the 1st paragraph) - "Adenosine normally depresses neuron firing in many areas of the brain."

I'm happy to help further if needed. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Re: Caffeine, the stimulant in coffee, has been called “the most widely us [#permalink]
Can someone explain Q1 and Q6?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [2]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

A. The passage discusses a current investigation, not one planned for the future.

B. The passage examines two explanations, but the earlier theory is discussed only to expose its weakness and the differences between the explanations are not reconciled. Most of the passage is devoted to the more recent hypothesis.

C. Only two theories are presented in the passage.

D. Correct. The recent hypothesis provides an alternative to an earlier one and is supported by evidence and arguments.

E. Lines 32–37 do pose such a challenge to the earlier theory; however, the challenge is a small part of the whole passage. Similarly, in the final paragraph, an exception to the more recent theory is introduced, only to be dismissed as an unimportant concern.

The correct answer is D.

6. The author quotes Snyder et al.[highlighted] in lines 43–48 most probably in order to

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

A. The quotation explains the results of an experiment, not assumptions about a theory.

B. Correct. The quotation summarizes the experiment with mice and reports a major finding in support of the hypothesis.

C. The quotation generalizes on the basis of the experiment; it does not limit the finding to mice.

D. Specific, not general, correlations were made between the ability to bind to receptors and to stimulate locomotion.

E. The passage includes no such objections; therefore no refutations are needed.

The correct answer is B.

AasthaSinghvi wrote:
Can someone explain Q1 and Q6?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Is this an official guide passage??

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
JenniferMassey wrote:
Is this an official guide passage??

Hi JenniferMassey

Yes! this passage is from the official guide Verbal review 2016.

PS: You can see the source tag area to know the source of the question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 262
Send PM
Re: Caffeine, the stimulant in coffee, has been called the most widely us [#permalink]
Is this actually a 600-700 level passage? I'm generally pretty good at RC but found this to be fairly challenging and I would have thought it was a 700-level passage if I didn't see the tags. Any thoughts on this?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [0]
Send PM
Re: Caffeine, the stimulant in coffee, has been called the most widely us [#permalink]
Expert Reply
UserMaple5 wrote:
Is this actually a 600-700 level passage? I'm generally pretty good at RC but found this to be fairly challenging and I would have thought it was a 700-level passage if I didn't see the tags. Any thoughts on this?

The following should be the difficulty level of each question, in my opinion.

Question #1: 700
Question #2: 700
Question #3: 500
Question #4: 600
Question #5: 600
Question #6: 700
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 45
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
This RC took me around 31 minutes to solve! Should I really appear on the test? However, I am not timing myself right now and I am in my early days of my preparation. On the bright side, I corrected 5 out of 6. :) :'(
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 45
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Hi Sajjad1994, can you help me with the question no 6? I picked D because I assumed that the highlighted passage talked about correlations and I rejected B here since it did not talk about any experiments specifically.

6. The author quotes Snyder et al.[highlighted] in lines 43–48 most probably in order to

(A) reveal some of the assumptions underlying their theory
(B) summarize a major finding of their experiments
(C) point out that their experiments were limited to the mouse
(D) indicate that their experiments resulted only in general correlations
(E) refute the objections made by supporters of the older theory
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Please read the explanation in the post in the link below

https://gmatclub.com/forum/caffeine-the ... l#p2827944

Thank you!

jarbit wrote:
Hi Sajjad1994, can you help me with the question no 6? I picked D because I assumed that the highlighted passage talked about correlations and I rejected B here since it did not talk about any experiments specifically.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Caffeine, the stimulant in coffee, has been called the most widely us [#permalink]
Hi Experts,

GMATNinjaTwo
GMATNinja
KarishmaB

I have read the above explanations for Q6 and I'm still not able to figure out why the option is B and not A.

I thought the assumption is "the ability of the compounds to compete at the receptors correlates with locomotion." Thus, this is how caffeine causes stimulation.

I'm still not able to understand how is it a finding of an experiment.

Thanks
Kitty
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Caffeine, the stimulant in coffee, has been called the most widely us [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
KittyDoodles wrote:
I thought the assumption is "the ability of the compounds to compete at the receptors correlates with locomotion." Thus, this is how caffeine causes stimulation.

I'm still not able to understand how is it a finding of an experiment.

This problem follows GMAC's typical pattern: The more technical detail there is in the text, the LESS important it is for you to understand those details specifically.

In fact, all you really need to figure out the role of the quote is to notice the verb with which it's presented:
"..., they reported"

What, from a scientific experiment, would you report? You'd report the findings of the experiment. (You could e.g. list or mention assumptions made in the experimental design, but it wouldn't make any sense to say that you were 'reporting' assumptions.)

If you do comprehend what's stated in the quote, then you can notice that a statistical correlation is being reported ("the higher X is, the higher Y is as well").
Correlations come from data, which must be the results of the experiment (not its assumptions or anything else).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 2.35
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Q5 structural similarity(identical) vs structural relationship(between two objects, can be similar or different) got me wrong, how can one say both are same.
Q1 primary purpose: blank on that question, lost in such long RC... can anybody help how to reach the PP?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63667 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply

Question 5

hrusher wrote:
Q5 structural similarity(identical) vs structural relationship(between two objects, can be similar or different) got me wrong, how can one say both are same.

Regarding Q5, let's start by considering the following key points from the passage:

• According to Snyder, caffeine "affects behavior by countering the activity in the human brain of...adenosine."
  • Adenosine normally creates its effect by "inhibiting the release of neurotransmitters."
  • Adenosine normally binds to receptors A1 and A2.
  • "Caffeine, which is structurally similar to adenosine, is able to bind to both types of receptors..." (i.e. A1 and A2).

Let's now consider answer choice (C):

Quote:
5. Snyder et al. suggest that caffeine’s ability to bind to A1 and A2 receptors can be at least partially attributed to which of the following?

(C) The structural similarity between caffeine and neurotransmitters

The passage does talk about a structural similarity. However, it tells us that caffeine is similar to adenosine, not too neurotransmitters. Notice adenosine inhibits the release of neurotransmitters, so adenosine itself is not a neurotransmitter. Eliminate (C).

Let's now consider (B):

Quote:
(B) The structural relationship between caffeine and adenosine

As you suggest, the word "structural relationship" doesn't necessarily mean similarity. It could mean similarity, or it could mean some other type of relationship.

That being said, the passage does suggest that caffeine's ability to bind to A1 and and A2 is related to its structural similarity to adenosine. And if two structures are similar, you could say they have a "structural relationship."

So while (B) doesn't specify that the structures are similar exactly, it's still a true statement: the structural relationship between caffeine and adenosine (i.e. in this case, the fact they have similar structures) helps explain why caffeine can bind A1 and A2. For that reason, (B) is correct.

Question 1

hrusher wrote:
Q1 primary purpose: blank on that question, lost in such long RC... can anybody help how to reach the PP?

For tips on identifying the primary purpose of this passage, check out this video, which analyzes this passage in detail and goes through several of the questions (including question 1). For general pointers on how to identify the primary purpose, check out our RC guide for beginners or this RC video playlist.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Please read the explanation in the post in the link below

https://gmatclub.com/forum/caffeine-the ... l#p2827944

Thank you!

jarbit wrote:

Sajjad1994
I would be so appreciative if you also perhaps have the Official Explanations (I do not see the exact code) for the following questions:

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the theory proposed by Snyder et al?
(A) At very low concentrations in the human brain, both caffeine and theophylline tend to have depressive rather than stimulatory effects on human behavior.
(B) The ability of caffeine derivatives at very low concentrations to dislodge adenosine from its receptors in mouse brains correlates well with their ability to stimulate mouse locomotion at these low concentrations.
(C) The concentration of cyclic AMP in target neurons in the human brain that leads to increased neuron firing can be produced by several different phosphodiesterase inhibitors in addition to caffeine.
(D) The concentration of caffeine required to dislodge adenosine from its receptors in the human brain is much greater than the concentration that produces behavioral stimulation in humans.
(E) The concentration of IBMX required to dislodge adenosine from its receptors in mouse brains is much smaller than the concentration that stimulates locomotion in the mouse.

The passage suggests that Snyder et al believe that if the older theory concerning caffeine’s effects were correct, which of the following would have to be the case?
I. All neurotransmitters would increase the short-term concentration of cyclic AMP in target neurons.
II. Substances other than caffeine that inhibit the production of phosphodiesterase would be stimulants.
III. All concentration levels of caffeine that are high enough to produce stimulation would also inhibit the production of phosphodiesterase.
(A) I only
(B) I and II only
(C) I and III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Thank you for your time and help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Hello, adkikani. If you need to answer a question about binding, then you should look for the keyword bind in the passage, particularly because the frame of the question, as an EXCEPT, lets you know that you are looking for a detail. How about we approach the task, answer by answer?

surat wrote:
4. According to Snyder et al., all of the following compounds can bind to specific receptors in the brain EXCEPT

surat wrote:
(A) IBMX

Analysis: The last paragraph states that IBMX bound very well in the context of adenosine receptor binding and stimulation. You might be able to kill two birds with one stone here and cross off (C) as well, but if you were being extra careful, at least you could get rid of this answer choice.

surat wrote:
(B) caffeine

Analysis: Paragraph two states that Snyder et al. propose that caffeine, which is structurally similar to adenosine, is able to bind to both types of receptors. Yes, this is a proposal rather than a statement of fact, but look at the question again: According to Snyder et al. This answer cannot be argued against.

surat wrote:
(C) adenosine

Analysis: If the two previous analyses did not convince you that adenosine can bind to receptors in the brain, then I am not sure how many instances you need from the passage to convey the point. The first such instance is from the beginning of paragraph two: adenosine must first bind to specific receptors on neuronal membranes. Three strikes and you're out.

surat wrote:
(D) theophylline

Analysis: The highlighted portion of paragraph four draws attention to theophylline, which was one of the most effective compounds in both regards. Which regards, exactly? One of them is spelled out with an id est: the higher their capacity to bind at the receptors. Thus, theophylline is not our answer.

surat wrote:
(E) phosphodiesterase

Analysis: The process of elimination points to this odd one out, without even a check. However, in the interest of providing a full analysis, what does the passage say about phosphodiesterase? The appositive phrase attached to the word in paragraph three tells us: an enzyme that breaks down the chemical called cyclic AMP. The rest of the paragraph talks about this enzyme, but nowhere will you find the keyword bind.

I have said it before, and I will reiterate here: keep your approach simple. The more you delve into the semantics or possibilities of each answer choice, the harder the test is going to be for you. Stick to the surface.

- Andrew

Please rectify your answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
Send PM
Can someone explain Q6? GMATNinja
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts