Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [10]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [2]
Send PM
Re: (How much) can I improve my score? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pairakesh10 wrote:
Hi bb,
Two weeks ago, I started to study for GMAT. I gave a Gmat prep test and scored 390!! This was disastrous, but I have never been to study and come across Gmat like Math or Verbal in last 6 years. I understood that, there is need of lot of effort in basics and well as practice. I am targeting for 700+ and I will study till I reach this goal. After reading your reply to above post, I worried to understand that my score may not go beyond 600? The prep test I gave was without the basic brush up of Math or English.

You should set your expectations that you will require a LOT of effort to get up there.
I hope you will be the greatest improvement student on GMAT Club with 370 points of improvement. However, right now the record stays at 300-310. I don't mean to say you can't reach that goal... all I am saying is that no one else has so far.

Best Regards,
BB
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
(How much) can I improve my score? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
From what I have seen, a person can achieve GMAT score increases as long as she or he keeps going, uses effective approaches, and keeps finding new levers to pull.

We often hear that people's GMAT scores top out at certain levels, but to understand what's going on, we have to examine those stories thoroughly and ask ourselves whether those people kept going, used effective approaches, and kept finding new levers to pull.

Many people believe in score ceilings or don't really care to achieve large score increases. So, simply looking at what happened without considering why it happened is not particularly useful. Sure, someone achieved a score increase of under 100 points and didn't achieve any increase from her or his second to third GMAT, but what did that person do, or not do, when preparing?

On a related note, the current GMAT Club score increase record, and what is quite possibly the largest GMAT score increase ever, was achieved by member daldilaimi, who achieved a 530 point score increase, going from her first GMAT score of 250 to her final GMAT score of 780.

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 16 May 2021, 07:16.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 17 May 2021, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Marty - thank you. That's a nice reply but the OP has already graduated back in 2015 ;)

Would love to use your firepower perhaps in another topic and by the way, great YouTube Live on Friday!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F16VCFxF_t4
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
Marty - thank you. That's a nice reply but the OP has already graduated back in 2015 ;)

People are still coming to this post for information on what constitutes a reasonable GMAT score increase. Hence the over 23K views. So, I put in my 2c and updated the record. :)
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Continuing the general thread on how much of a score jump is possible on the GMAT.

It all comes down to the WHY question. Why did you get your most recent score on the GMAT?

The OP was right to focus on the nature of the GMAT -- it's NOT a Math or English test (a knowledge test as he called it). Once you've understood that it's a test of Executive Reasoning -- then you can focus properly on assessing your gaps to being ready to hit your target score.

The key thing to remember is we've all had very different education and experience that has shaped our reasoning skills. But they can be learned with very focused effort and ideally great coaching.

Based on client experiences (1100+), I can refer to the following timelines:

Jumps of 200+ points in 3-4 months
Jumps of 100+ points in 2 months
Jumps of 30 to 50 points (depending on starting score) within a month.

The key is focus -- if you can answer the WHY question (what were your gaps that caused you to get questions wrong) -- then you can focus your efforts more closely and get to your target much faster.

There are 2 reasons why improving your GMAT score takes so long on your own:

1) You don't know what your really gaps are (WHY question again) -- so you do a lot of unnecessary work with a 25% or less of really effective effort -- that means out of every 20 hours less than 5 hours is actually helping you to improve your score.

2) Lack of expert help. You can't see your own process gaps because you don't have the experience in coaching so you self-coaching becomes a two step process. 1) learning to be your own coach then 2) actually coaching yourself through the required improvements.

Happy to get on a call with anyone who needs help creating focus in the RETAKE prep -- and even doing a FREE diagnostic session if it makes sense.
GMAT Club Bot