Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx   Subject Verb Agreementx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51

GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an asteroi [#permalink]
Kudos
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
AnthonyRitz wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America, which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks the end of the geologic era known as the Cretaceous Period.

(A) which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks
(B) which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking
(C) and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark
(D) an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks
(E) an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark

Could you explain one more thing why GMAC did not use THOSE for the plant and animal extinctions (plural)?
Thank you...

"those" is a garden variety pronoun, but a relative pronoun was required to modify (not just reference) the "plant and animal extinctions" in this sentence. Relative pronouns have no number and no agreement issues.

AnthonyRitz
It's hard for me to comprehend the highlighted part! Could you explain it a bit with example (pure sentence)?
Thanks

I'm just saying that "those" works as a regular, normal pronoun. An example might be "Bill's toys are nicer than those that belong to Ted."

It can also be a demonstrative pronoun (functioning as an adjective), as in the sentence "Those toys are mine."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/that
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: ISB '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an asteroi [#permalink]
What if in the first example one of the options is, "......slammed into N.A., causing plant and animal extinctions that mark.....

Would this version be correct @GMATNina ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
AashishGautam wrote:
What if in the first example one of the options is, "......slammed into N.A., causing plant and animal extinctions that mark.....

Would this version be correct @GMATNina ?

Hi AashishGautam

i.e. Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America, causing plant and animal extinctions that mark the end of the geologic era known as the Cretaceous Period.

As per above sentence, comma + modifer 'causing plant and animal extinctions' modifies subject of preceding clause (an asteroid).

It conveyes MEANING that an asteroid caused plant and animal extinctions. Is it conveying correct meaning?

I hope this may help you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
This one isn't too awful, compared to some of the QOTDs we'll inflict on you later this week. For the most part, this is a nice story about straightforward uses of "that" and "which" modifiers, with some meaning stuff thrown in.

The uses of "that" and "which" can get nastier, though. Check out last Monday's YouTube webinar for more on the various uses of "that" on the GMAT... and we'll feature the other examples from the webinar as QOTDs later this week.

Quote:
A. which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks

"Which" can only modify "North America" here, and that makes no sense at all: "North America, which... marks the end of the geologic era"?! The placement of the "-ing" modifier doesn't seem great, either. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
B. which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking

Again, the modifier beginning with "which" is modifying "North America" again, and that makes no sense: "North America, which caused the plant and animal extinctions..." Eliminate (B).

Quote:
C. and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark

I'm OK with the use of "that" here, but the parallelism doesn't work. The parallelism marker "and" is followed by "causing plant and animal extinctions", and I can't find anything in the sentence that could possibly be parallel to "causing." (C) is gone.

Quote:
D. an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks

The last part of the underlined portion makes me hesitate: "it" could refer to "event", I guess. So "...an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and the event marks the end of the geologic era..." That's not awful, but I really don't understand why we're starting a whole new clause there, with "event" as the subject. It makes a whole lot more sense when the end of the sentence says "... marks the end of the geologic era..." function as a modifier for "extinctions" -- and that's exactly what (E) does.

Since "it" is the subject of the second clause, you could also argue that it refers back to the subject of the first clause: "an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest." But that wouldn't really make much sense, either: the asteroid marks the end of the geologic era? Hm, not so sure about that one. But either way: even if you're OK with the pronoun, (E) does a much better job of conveying the meaning of the sentence.

Incidentally, there's another version of this answer choice in the verbal guide (any edition): "an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, which marks..." Clearly, that's wrong for a different reason: "extinctions... marks" is a clear subject-verb error.

Either way, (D) is gone.

Quote:
E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark

(E) has two "thats", and they're both perfectly fine. The event caused the plant and animal extinctions, and the extinctions mark the end of the geologic era. Nice and clear. (E) wins.

GMATNinja - boss, can you please explain why in option E we should not have "that marked" the end of ... ? Is it correct to have "that mark" ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mk96 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark

(E) has two "thats", and they're both perfectly fine. The event caused the plant and animal extinctions, and the extinctions mark the end of the geologic era. Nice and clear. (E) wins.

GMATNinja - boss, can you please explain why in option E we should not have "that marked" the end of ... ? Is it correct to have "that mark" ?

It's not uncommon to use a past event to make a generalization in the present. I can write "the 2017 Warriors remain the best offensive team I've ever seen," and use the present tense "remain" because I'm writing about my perspective today on a historical phenomenon.

Same deal here. The extinctions may have happened in the past, but an observation about when one geological period ends and another begins can happen in the present. Put another way, the extinctions never stopped marking the end of the Cretaceous Period. Using the past tense "marked" would be confusing, since it would suggest that it's no longer valid to think of the extinctions as the dividing line between those periods.

I hope that clears things up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
I am solving the Verbal Review Offical 2019 and the option D is different. It is : "an event that caused plant and animal
extinctions, which marks"

How is this wrong and one would pick E over this ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
wps002 wrote:
I am solving the Verbal Review Offical 2019 and the option D is different. It is : "an event that caused plant and animal
extinctions, which marks"

How is this wrong and one would pick E over this ?

Hello, wps002. I can confirm that both the 2019 and 2020 editions of the Verbal Review list choice (D) in exactly the way you have quoted. I cannot comment on how the question may appear in earlier editions, but if it has changed over time, then there should be a SIMILAR QUESTION link at the bottom of the original post. (I am assuming that there is not a typo, since the question appears the same way on the BEATtheGMAT forum.) In any case, GMATNinja has touched on your query in this post and the one just beneath it. I hope they help clarify your concerns.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America, which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks the end of the geologic era known as the Cretaceous Period.

(A) which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks
What caused plant and animal extinctions? - X years ago, an asteroid slammed into North America- This event caused plant and animal extinctions.
“which” incorrectly refers to North America- This would mean that North America caused plant and animal extinctions. Eliminate.

(B) which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking
Same as A. Eliminate.

(C) and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark
We don’t have a clause after the conjunction “and”.
“Causing” is a participle and not a verb. Eliminate

(D) an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks
What does “it” refer to?
What marked the end of the geologic era? Plant and animal extinction. Hence, a relative pronoun would make the meaning of the sentence clear and logical.
Eliminate.

(E) an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark
Correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V36
Send PM
A&B - which modifies North America. That doesn't make sense
C- Parallelism error for and:
D- it refers to asteroid and not the event. The sentence loses its meaning.
E- correct answer

One question from my end - for parallelism is same tense necessary. In option D, are 'asteroid slammed' and 'it marks' parallel.

Thanks in advance!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

Send PM
Kudos