Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [2]
Given Kudos: 295
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [3]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Send PM
Re: ONE BAD RC Can Spoil your GMAT. RC > SC [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
I think you're identifying a real problem that some test-takers have, Hemanthdasu13. It's true that a lot of folks ignore RC, and that's clearly not a great idea. Frankly, I think a lot of test-takers are afraid of it or just think that it's impossible to improve, so they avoid it. And obviously, that's a big mistake.

Of course, everybody you tagged would agree that most test-takers need to take a hard look at the RC skills, and do whatever it takes to get better at RC. So would @SajjadAhmad, who has heroically attempted to inspire more engagement in the RC forums for years now.

So I agree wholeheartedly with your punchline: keep at it, especially if some aspect of RC scares you. :)

Thanks for your response " Guruji "

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
I don’t think RC is ignored. RC is a very challenging skill to master. Much more so than SC or CR. It is harder to teach and there is not that much to teach.

You want to invest time into whatever gives you the highest score during prep and also during the test…..

You can see our GMAT research in the “gnat prep what if scenarios” topic. We messed up all RCs in one case.

RC is ignored as in , the man hours spent on RC is significantly low.

This thought is consistent Atleast with the forums I'm in touch with.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hemanthdasu13 wrote:
I just wanted to know if my thinking is spot on or am i just overthinking.

Every now and then I've seen lot of GMAT aspirants especially Indians put lot of emphasis on sentence correction.
IMO RC should play a key role since one bad RC can really hurt your chances. SC questions are anyway scattered and it's risk is - lets say diversified.

I used to literally hate social sciences and all those topics about humanities, philosophy etc. But with lot of effort I'm starting to increase my accuracy.

This might be just a start to ensure there's no so called ” bad RC day"

Also want to know why it's so neglected by so many aspirants given that it has more number of questions as well.

Bunuel GMATNinja VeritasKarishma ChiranjeevSingh bb Nikhil

Sajjad1994

SC gives you maximum ROI in terms of effort put in during prep as well as during the actual exam. It's easier to improve in SC since most questions test from a defined set of errors (tenses, SV agreement, parallelism, modifiers etc). Once you get a hang of how to choose the best available option, your accuracy improves a whole lot. Often, decision points help you answer each SC question in under a minute. So it gives you the biggest bang for your buck, so to say.

Improving in RC, on the other hand, is a slow, tedious process. That doesn't mean it cannot be done but a period of 2-3 months is certainly not enough to make a marked difference. What helps is a lot of regular reading (it helps with SC too) on every conceivable topic, and still, what you get may be totally out of your comfort zone. Yes, RC is extremely important and understanding the question types helps, but it is a life skill you build over years.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
In my opinion CR is the most easy section, SC is at number two (It is easiest for many native English speakers) for me being a non-native and RC is the most challenging. One can master CR and SC sections in ten day each but i don't thing RC can be mastered within ten days. Conclusively, the RC is important and specially you cannot ignore this section if you are looking for a V38+ score in the verbal.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
"...want to know why it's so neglected by so many aspirants"

Might be because there is a lot one can "actively" do to improve SC (i.e. memorizing idioms). For RC, it's probably fair to say there is less out there to "work with".
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
ONE BAD RC Can Spoil your GMAT. RC > SC [#permalink]
I like RC :inlove: :inlove: more than CR :inlove: and CR more than SC :D . I get to know some new information every time I read a passage.
Solving questions confirm my understanding whether it was right or otherwise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mSKR wrote:
I like RC :inlove: :inlove: more than CR :inlove: and CR more than SC :D . I get to know some new information every time I read a passage.
Solving questions confirm my understanding whether it was right or otherwise.

I generally hate RC but I'm trying to love it the way you do, seems like that's the only way you can get through.

GMAT Club Bot