Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V33
GPA: 3.3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially ser [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja,
is option D wrong because it uses specially instead of especially?
i don't think Capability of the respiratory system is making this option incorrect. am i right?

Regards,
Kshitij
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Send PM
Re: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially ser [#permalink]
goutamread wrote:
Question: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system's ability to deal with all other pollutants.
A. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal
B. an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing
C. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
D. a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal
E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal

Determine whether a PRONOUN is ambiguous or not? (by the 'Ron Purewal')

Note: The content/knowledge was not produced by me; it was merely assimilated from Ron's sessions. ( Please visit https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm for more such lessons). I have just compiled various notes , for my convenience,from his videos. (I am just playing a plagiarist).

Ambiguous Pronoun :

(As explained by Aristotle SC grail) Sometimes, a sentence is structured in a way that a pronoun can refer to more than one noun, and as a result the reader is confused about the author‘s intentions - what the pronoun is referring to.

John encouraged Jerry to start a pest control business
because he felt that the residents of the city would be
willing to pay for the same.

Who does 'he‘ refer to, John or Jerry?

because John felt that the residents of the city would be

In this session(please see the attachment), Ron stated that Pronoun ambiguity is NOT an "absolute" rule. He further explained how to determine whether a pronoun is ambiguous or not.

I didn't understand Ron's point #2 & #3, that are,

GMAT will tolerate pronoun ambiguity if
2. the PRONOUN is PARALLEL to the INTENDED NOUN
3. the PRONOUN is NOT PARALLEL to the other NOUNS (s)

He said: in the first clause:
Sulphur Dioxide is the subject ; acid rain is the object of preposition
In the second clause: ’it’ is the subject; 'diminishes' is the verb;
Hence satisfies #2 condition - CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN HOW?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Target4bschool wrote:
goutamread wrote:
Question: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system's ability to deal with all other pollutants.
A. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal
B. an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing
C. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
D. a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal
E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal

Determine whether a PRONOUN is ambiguous or not? (by the 'Ron Purewal')

Note: The content/knowledge was not produced by me; it was merely assimilated from Ron's sessions. ( Please visit https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm for more such lessons). I have just compiled various notes , for my convenience,from his videos. (I am just playing a plagiarist).

Ambiguous Pronoun :

(As explained by Aristotle SC grail) Sometimes, a sentence is structured in a way that a pronoun can refer to more than one noun, and as a result the reader is confused about the author‘s intentions - what the pronoun is referring to.

because he felt that the residents of the city would be

Who does 'he‘ refer to, John or Jerry?

because John felt that the residents of the city would be

In this session(please see the attachment), Ron stated that Pronoun ambiguity is NOT an "absolute" rule. He further explained how to determine whether a pronoun is ambiguous or not.

I didn't understand Ron's point #2 & #3, that are,

GMAT will tolerate pronoun ambiguity if
2. the PRONOUN is PARALLEL to the INTENDED NOUN
3. the PRONOUN is NOT PARALLEL to the other NOUNS (s)

He said: in the first clause:
Sulphur Dioxide is the subject ; acid rain is the object of preposition
In the second clause: ’it’ is the subject; 'diminishes' is the verb;
Hence satisfies #2 condition - CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN HOW?

Unfortunately there are no black and white rules governing pronoun ambiguity. All we know for sure is that pronoun ambiguity is sometimes okay, so you always want to look for other decision points and see if the meaning is clearer in some answer choices than others.

That said, I think you might be referring to the following scenario: if the subject of the second clause is a pronoun, it CAN refer back to the subject of the first clause -- even if there are a ton of other potential referents in the sentence. For more on that, check out this post (and the video referenced in that post).

I hope that helps a bit!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM