Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
GMAT strategy please [#permalink]
Aryaneski, you should try TargetTestPrep, they could really help you with your prep.
ScottTargetTestPrep.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: GMAT strategy please [#permalink]
Aryaneski wrote:
Hi all

Anyone feeling burned out after about 2 months of rigorous study? What did you do? I still couldn’t get a consistent GMAT score and it’s driving me crazy. 🙃 I only have a month- can 1 month of push my score to 700?

My scores over the past weeks:
-end Apr: 530 (GMAT Official Practice)
-the same week: 610 to 700 on Kaplan PracticeTests
-Last week: 650-660 (Veritas and Manhattan practice tests)
-Yesterday: a surprising 550 (Princeton Practice Test)
Note: I am saving other actual gmat practice exams towards the last wks to give a better idea of where I am. What’s the best interval for this? weekly or every 2 days before the actual exam?

Target date: originally May but pushed back to June 12 to give more time

Additional questions:
RC tips - one of my major weaknesses
How do you stay kind to yourself? and how do you manage GMAT related stress ?
Any discord study groups so we can study together/discuss occasionally?
Tips on calming yourself during the test? Careless mistakes are one of my major errors

Happy to hear your thoughts 🥳

Posted from my mobile device

Sources of study?

Verbal - Manhattan, Aristotle, etc?

I don't see reference to from which source you're studying and what has been your approach towards individual section.
You cannot do much with RC and strictly speaking you're either good at it or not. How's your CR and RC.

How good are your basics in Quant?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Aryaneski,

I'm sorry to hear about how things have been going with your GMAT prep. From your initial post, it seems as though you are taking practice exams well before you are ready to do so but yet are expecting pretty significant improvement with each test.

I'm happy to provide some additional advice but would like to first learn more about your situation with the GMAT. Once you respond to the questions already asked, I can provide some advice. In the meantime, here is a helpful article for you to check out:

The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aryaneski wrote:
Hi all

Anyone feeling burned out after about 2 months of rigorous study? What did you do? I still couldn’t get a consistent GMAT score and it’s driving me crazy. 🙃 I only have a month- can 1 month of push my score to 700?

My scores over the past weeks:
-end Apr: 530 (GMAT Official Practice)
-the same week: 610 to 700 on Kaplan PracticeTests
-Last week: 650-660 (Veritas and Manhattan practice tests)
-Yesterday: a surprising 550 (Princeton Practice Test)
Note: I am saving other actual gmat practice exams towards the last wks to give a better idea of where I am. What’s the best interval for this? weekly or every 2 days before the actual exam?

Target date: originally May but pushed back to June 12 to give more time

Additional questions:
RC tips - one of my major weaknesses
How do you stay kind to yourself? and how do you manage GMAT related stress ?
Any discord study groups so we can study together/discuss occasionally?
Tips on calming yourself during the test? Careless mistakes are one of my major errors

Happy to hear your thoughts 🥳

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Aryanesk,

Even though you say that RC is your major weakness, I can strongly say that there are certain conceptual gaps in other topics and that you are highly struggling with the application of concepts. This generally happens when you do not focus on the right aspects while learning. If you have concentrated more on practicing questions, then I'm afraid that's not the right way to do so. GMAT is a test of application of concepts. So, before you practice questions, you need to be 100% confident with the concepts and the methodology.

To manage GMAT related stress, I suggest you to have a proper study plan. When you are clear of what to study on any given day, it makes half the things simple. So, do not overthink. Try to focus more on the process of solving questions instead on practicing more questions. This should ideally help. Do not take too many mock tests. I suggest you to stick with official mocks as they are the most reliable ones.

Having said that, to improve your score by more than 100 points in 30 days, you need to put in significant amount of effort. I hope you can invest good number of hours for studies every day. In fact, I can help you in a much better way if you can provide me a few more details such as:

• your current study strategy
  • your approach of solving questions
  • the resources you are using
  • the number of hours you can study in a day

Please provide me answers to the above questions so that I can guide in a better way. You can write back to me here or a better way is to discuss the same over a call. You can use the link below to schedule a call with me.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
"Careless mistakes are one of my major errors"

Identifying WHY those careless errors are occurring may be helpful (i.e. mental math errors, bad handwriting).
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Aryaneski

You've asked lots of good questions that lots of people I come across have also faced:

Q: RC tips - one of my major weaknesses

I shared this in another post:

What really costs you time on RC is "deep re-reading".

What does that mean?

A big part of the GMAT Performance Coaching that we provide is focused on great process. Any good process has to start with a focus on timing. Time is the most precious commodity on the GMAT.

Your approach to RC has to focus on avoiding re-reading for things that require a deep read such as:

1. Purpose / main point / key focus of author
2. Tone of the author/passage

Many of my clients tend to get so caught up in understanding and remembering every small detail in the passage they forget that some of them are easily found by skimming when you come across a question.

The hard ones to skim are 1 and 2 above. So if you ignore purpose and tone in your first read, you're setting yourself up to have to deep re-read -- that can take unto 5 minutes and completely ruin your timing on the Verbal section.

Q: How do you stay kind to yourself?

Recognize that you're trying to do something on your own that ideally you need expert help with. The in-test process is the toughest part to improve on your own. You should try to focus more on improving your test taking tactics. It's incredibly powerful for fighting exam stress, improving timing and allowing you to answer harder questions with greater success.

Q: How do you manage GMAT related stress ? Tips on calming yourself during the test?[u] [/u][

Again it comes down to consistent processes for verbal and quant questions. When you face a new question -- the stress / panic reaction is often because you keep starting from scratch (ie. coming up with an approach for each question). Instead, if you build consistent process (especially the first step in attacking each question type, you'll experience a remarkable drop in stress.

Q: Careless mistakes are one of my major errors?

You can start by not calling them careless errors. Remember the GMAT is designed to elicit mistakes that seem careless. There's the wordiness of the questions (word problems), the trickery in DS questions (C trap?) and those crazy SC questions where the entire 4 lines are underlined. The test writers are really smart people who know how to write questions that make you make mistakes that aren't normal for you.

The only cure for those types of errors is what I call RESILIENT PROCESS. if you're naturally talented at math, you're used to doing things in your head and reading questions and quickly spotting all the key info. But the GMAT doesn't play that way. They don't reward great math or English skills -- they reward great executive reasoning skills (that's what the GMAT is -- a test of executive reasoning skills). They want you to have to use great process and precise steps to reason your way through questions. Hence, what feel like careless mistakes are the result of how the GMAT is designed and test takers failure to adapt to it.

Happy to discuss further on a call and a FREE diagnostic session if it makes sense.

Best of luck[/u]
GMAT Club Bot