Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: Evaluation of Profile and School Selection [#permalink]
Vikassingla wrote:
Guys!!

I took GMAT on 09.05.2021 and have received GMAT score of 710 (Q49 V36 IR 5) on 12.05.2021. Please suggest what are my chances of getting admission into good B Schools in India and outside India.

GMAT Score - 710
Country - India
Working Experience - 6 Years in Fortune 500 Organization (PSU) in both Sales & Marketing and Operations.
Age - 27 Y
CGPA - 8.68/10 from average university

Thanks in Advance !

Hi Vikas,

Congrats on scoring a great GMAT score.

GMAT score is one of the important components but not the only component for the evaluation of candidate for any B school. GMAT score at its maximum constitutes only 30-40% of overall admission score weightage. So it will be really helpful to get more details of your profile to give a realistic assessment.

But considering your GMAT score and good academic record in undergrad, you are perfectly placed to get admitted into any top Indian B School - be it IIMA/B/C or ISB. Plus your experience in PSU is a differentiator. You need highlight that in a way to impress admission committees.

For foreign colleges, the ball game is little different. You are of course in the striking distance of any college given your GMAT score, but we need to consider many more factors. It will be great if you can share more details on that.

In case you require to talk to people with similar backgrounds to chalk out your strategy, do reach out to us.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Evaluation of Profile and School Selection [#permalink]
PSUTOPRIVATE

In my professional career, I have worked with Oil Marketing company (PSU) for 6 years, out of which 5 years as a sales Manager and 1 year as an executive operations.

While working as an Assistant Sales Manager, major responsibilities include Dealership management (70+), Increment of Sales revenue & Market Share, Infrastructure planning for existing network of fuel stations, Network Expansion through market research and ROI analysis, Governance & Statutory compliance at existing fuel stations, Training & Seminars for stakeholders, and Implementation of various government and company initiatives.

Further from 2015 -2016, major responsibilities as an Executive operations include Supply & Distribution of fuel to fuel stations, Procurement of material and services, Plant maintenance, Compliance to statutory laws & licenses, Safety training to stakeholders, HSSE.

As an executive operations I have attended various training programme conducted by organization from time to time such as Fire fighting, basic first aid, Disaster management & Hazop study But i do not have any professional certifications. Do I require to add some professional certifications in my profile to make my application strong?

I am targeting IIM A, ISB or good foreign institute (with scholarship).

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Vikassingla wrote:
PSUTOPRIVATE

In my professional career, I have worked with Oil Marketing company (PSU) for 6 years, out of which 5 years as a sales Manager and 1 year as an executive operations.

While working as an Assistant Sales Manager, major responsibilities include Dealership management (70+), Increment of Sales revenue & Market Share, Infrastructure planning for existing network of fuel stations, Network Expansion through market research and ROI analysis, Governance & Statutory compliance at existing fuel stations, Training & Seminars for stakeholders, and Implementation of various government and company initiatives.

Further from 2015 -2016, major responsibilities as an Executive operations include Supply & Distribution of fuel to fuel stations, Procurement of material and services, Plant maintenance, Compliance to statutory laws & licenses, Safety training to stakeholders, HSSE.

As an executive operations I have attended various training programme conducted by organization from time to time such as Fire fighting, basic first aid, Disaster management & Hazop study But i do not have any professional certifications. Do I require to add some professional certifications in my profile to make my application strong?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Vikas,

Thanks for sharing the detailed profile. Your work experience is a good mix of marketing and operations. It has the perfect balance of operational scale of PSU as well as scope of personal excellence in marketing. At the top of that you have a good GMAT score. Now, its just a matter of packaging your profile in a marketable essay!!

Truth to be told, professional certifications help more in getting placements and less in college admissions. You can pursue them only if you have spare time. The certifications should be aligned to your post MBA career goals.

IIMA and ISB are very much in your reach. In foreign colleges, you can target INSEAD, London Business School, HEC Paris, IESE Business School, Duke:Fuqua, UVA Darden, if you want to get admitted with a hope of scholarship.

Hope it helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi guys. I'm a Indian candidate looking to do MBA

Age = 27

# Educational Background is as follows

1) Bachelors of Business studies = 68%

2) Master of economic policy from Australian National university (50% reduction in tuition fees)

# Extra Cir = *Played district level chess & cricket
*State level player in tennis and Badminton
*Black belt in 2 martial art forms

# Work ex.

Started working after my Master completion went straight for my master after completing my BBS

# Department of Finance & treasury as a economist. Received 1 promotions till now, 2.5 years of work ex as of now

1) Assist in undertaking in-depth economic analysis and research on policy and regulatory issues
2) Prepare written and verbal advice on analytical issues for key stakeholders
3) Participate in negotiations and consultation with a broad range of external stakeholders
4) Provide support to the Commissioner and Director in the preparation of meetings, presentations and conferences

# Ord Minnett - Senior Analyst - Private capital - 1 year

1) Facilitating communication with new investment prospects and engage with companies to evaluate investment eligibility according to our investment mandate;
2) Shortlisting and prepare briefing materials on new investments, and collaborate with the team in analysing new opportunities and building investment thesis;
3) Building investment and company financial models:
4) Undertaking competitor analysis and preparing associated reports;
5) Absolute and relative valuation analysis;
6) Investment return profiling;
7) Undertaking due diligence; and
8) Preparing investment rationale and investment committee papers

GRE = 325

Language = 4 = French, Hindi, English & Italian
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AksZchs wrote:
Hi guys. I'm a Indian candidate looking to do MBA

Age = 27

# Educational Background is as follows

1) Bachelors of Business studies = 68%

2) Master of economic policy from Australian National university (50% reduction in tuition fees)

# Extra Cir = *Played district level chess & cricket
*State level player in tennis and Badminton
*Black belt in 2 martial art forms

# Work ex.

Started working after my Master completion went straight for my master after completing my BBS

# Department of Finance & treasury as a economist. Received 1 promotions till now, 2.5 years of work ex as of now

1) Assist in undertaking in-depth economic analysis and research on policy and regulatory issues
2) Prepare written and verbal advice on analytical issues for key stakeholders
3) Participate in negotiations and consultation with a broad range of external stakeholders
4) Provide support to the Commissioner and Director in the preparation of meetings, presentations and conferences

# Ord Minnett - Senior Analyst - Private capital - 1 year

1) Facilitating communication with new investment prospects and engage with companies to evaluate investment eligibility according to our investment mandate;
2) Shortlisting and prepare briefing materials on new investments, and collaborate with the team in analysing new opportunities and building investment thesis;
3) Building investment and company financial models:
4) Undertaking competitor analysis and preparing associated reports;
5) Absolute and relative valuation analysis;
6) Investment return profiling;
7) Undertaking due diligence; and
8) Preparing investment rationale and investment committee papers

GRE = 325

Language = 4 = French, Hindi, English & Italian

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your profile. Your profile has following positive points -
1. GRE score is good
2. Bachelor in Business Studies is always a plus for management colleges
3. Rich work experience particularly that in the government department. Government experience is always a plus.
4. Experience in the fields of finance. Finance candidates are always in demand.
5. Exceptional Extracurriculars - level of participation is a big positive
6. 4 languages! well, well... its great

The profile points which will pose potential challenge -
1. You will need give good rationale for pursuing second masters degree
2. Your post MBA goals alignment needs to be done properly. If you want to pursue in finance, then the question of "why MBA" will again come back to you!
3. The undergrad score is not a boosting point!

If you can work on your challenges and highlight your positives in a compelling manner, then you can aim for the best of the B-schools. It would have been great if you could have told something about your aimed colleges and post MBA goals to give a more realistic assessment of profile.

Anyways, hope it helped!
Do contact us if you need to discuss your career choice, colleges to aim or even life in general. We will be happy to help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
PSUTOPRIVATE

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure about b-schools so didn't mention any. Appreciate if you can suggest any

I would like to return to my current filed after MBA or work in top sports company. As you can see I'm very much interested in playing sports
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: Carlson (A$$)
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Evaluation of Profile and School Selection [#permalink]
Nationality / Age: Indian /26
GMAT/GRE Score: Would be appearing in July End..... aiming for 720+
GPA / Work experience: 8.41/10 (Undergrad), 8.44/10 (Post Graduate Diploma in Banking and Finance), 10th - 87% (Gold Medalist), 12th 78% / 15 Months as Technical Support in US based MNC and 36 Months as Credit Manager (1 Promotion) in Public Sector Bank with 4 people reporting to me.

In my work-ex, I'm basically heading a department of almost 70 Crore now. It includes public dealing, NPA Management, Credit Assessment of Firms and Individuals, Inspection of Asset and their classification, Credit Monitoring etc

Educational Background: Electrical Engineer
Post-MBA goals: Investment Banking
Schools you are applying to: Not yet finalized but would be applying only if I get 720 or more to below schools - Simon, Jones, McDonough, Kelley & Kenan-Flagler

What other schools are in my hitting range with scholarship?

I'd be certainly gunning for Scholarship 😅

Profile Evaluation would be highly appreciated 😊

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Vikassingla wrote:
PSUTOPRIVATE

Thanks in advance!

Hi Vikassingla,

Congratulations for IIMA!

Keep shining, Keep growing!

Best wishes
GMAT Club Bot