Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 388 [22]
Given Kudos: 115
Schools: HEC CBS '23 EDHEC
GPA: 2.95
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: Researchers explain, being very eager to have constant access to food [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Gknight5603 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Not really a 700 level SC

A) explain, being very eager to have constant access to food and secure backup from stronger members if they get caught in a fight, that baboons

No good

B) explain that, being very eager to have constant access to food and secure backup from stronger members if they get caught in a fight, baboons

no good

C) explain that because they are very eager to have constant access to food and secure backup from stronger members if they get caught in a fight, so baboons

Horrible

D) explain, very eager to have constant access to food and secure backup from stronger members being caught in a fight, baboons

explain ........ baboons . Not good

E) explain that baboons are very eager for constant access to food and backup from stronger members in a fight; they therefore

explain why X does so....(they) refers correctly to baboons

E i the answer

sir in E can't "they" refer back to researchers?

Because researchers are the subject for first independent clause so the pronoun of the second independent clause may unambiguously refer back to the subject of the first.

please explain

Posted from my mobile device

No from the context. This is very important when you are looking for the meaning of the sentence. They must refer to the baboons for logic.

Moreover, they groom.....if the researchers groom ...make no sense

Therefore should be enclosed between two commas. From these nuances, you can see a high-end question from a good question for the GMAT exam

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: Researchers explain, being very eager to have constant access to food [#permalink]
Kudos
Can someone explain why B is wrong. Is it a dangling modifier or the being? If it is the Being, then what are its correct usages.

Thanks

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Why "being" cannot be used as modifier of baboons as seen in choice B?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Is option B wrong because it isn't clear what the modifying phrase starting with 'being' is modifying - researchers or baboons? Or is the reason something else?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
TommyWallach can you please help with this one?
Why in option E, we are not considering "THEY" to be a case of ambiguity.

Thanks in advance :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 477 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Send PM
carcass wrote:
Not really a 700 level SC

A) explain, being very eager to have constant access to food and secure backup from stronger members if they get caught in a fight, that baboons

No good

B) explain that, being very eager to have constant access to food and secure backup from stronger members if they get caught in a fight, baboons

no good

C) explain that because they are very eager to have constant access to food and secure backup from stronger members if they get caught in a fight, so baboons

Horrible

D) explain, very eager to have constant access to food and secure backup from stronger members being caught in a fight, baboons

explain ........ baboons . Not good

E) explain that baboons are very eager for constant access to food and backup from stronger members in a fight; they therefore

explain why X does so....(they) refers correctly to baboons

E i the answer

Sir, Are we ignoring all the other options because of the Pronoun & Meaning errors?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Researchers explain, being very eager to have constant access to food [#permalink]
sanjayparihar16 wrote:
TommyWallach can you please help with this one?
Why in option E, we are not considering "THEY" to be a case of ambiguity.

Thanks in advance :)

Hey sanjayparihar16, I'm no expert but pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule. Also, they can logically only refer back to baboons. Perhaps, it isn't 100% clear that they can only refer to baboons, but the option is much better than the others.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 237
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
I am not convinced why B is incorrect. I think "being" and "they" correctly refers to "baboons".
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
skhanna10
Agreed. Although "being" is often a sign of poor construction in an SC answer, it's a real word, and we need a concrete reason to throw B out. We could quibble about who "they" refers to, but E is no more clear than B. In fact, it's set up to make "they" sound like the researchers! I wouldn't recommend studying from this question.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Researchers explain, being very eager to have constant access to food [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gmatisking wrote:
Researchers explain, being very eager to have constant access to food and secure backup from stronger members if they get caught in a fight, that baboons groom higher-ranking individuals in their group early in the day.

Responding to a query

There is no reason why would E be better than B.

The pronoun 'they' correctly refers to Baboons, and the modifier 'Being...fight' correctly refers to baboons.
One may say that "being" is generally not in the right choice in GMAT. But 'being' will never be the lone reason for discarding a right choice.

The pronoun 'they' could easily relate to researchers.

So, not a very properly worded question.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.73
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
This sentence seems to be about researchers explaining a phenomenon to us. If that is true, "they" in E must refer back to researchers not baboons. Am I correct in this assumption? In this case, E would be incorrect. I am not seeing anything wrong, besides some awkward wording, with B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
GPA: 2.91
Send PM
"They " should not have any ambiguity.
In options ABC, "they" can refer to researchers or stronger members, but it should refer to baboons.

Therefore eliminate ABC.

D - stronger members being caught in a fight . Definitely wrong.

E - not sure what "they" refers to but still better than options.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts