Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618889 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618889 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election, sometime [#permalink]
Expert Reply

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election, sometimes appearing before all the polling stations are closed, this results in their premature release influencing voters to change their ballot.

(A) As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election, sometimes appearing before all the polling stations are closed, this results in their premature release influencing

Incorrect.

This answer choice is grammatically incorrect. Using two reason conjunctions / phrases (as and this results in) to express the relation between two parts of a sentence is redundant. Only one should be used:

As [exit polls are used to project, sometimes appearing before stations are closed,] [their premature release influences voters]

[exit polls are used to project, sometimes appearing before stations are closed,] ; this results in [their premature release influencing voters]

(B) Exit polls, used for projecting an election's winners and sometimes appearing before polling stations are closed, result in their premature release influencing

Incorrect.

This answer choice is illogical. Changing the conjugated verb are used into a modifier (used for ...) turns Exit polls into the subject of the verb result. This creates an illogical sentence:

Exit polls, ... , result in their (own?) premature release ...

It is the circumstance of appearing early that has a result, not the exit polls themselves.

(C) Used to project the winners of an election, exit polls sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed with the result that their premature release influences

This answer choice corrects the original redundancy by removing the reason conjunction As at the beginning of the sentence, keeping only one reason phrase (with the result).

(D) Exit polls used to project an election's winner sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed, with the result that their premature release influences

Incorrect.

This answer choice is illogical. Changing the conjugated verb are used into a modifier (used to ...) turns Exit polls into the subject of the verb result. This creates an illogical sentence:

Exit polls, ... , sometimes (a) appear ... and (b) result in their (own?) premature release ...

It is the circumstance of appearing early that has a result, not the exit polls themselves.

(E) As exit polls used to project an election's winner sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed, with the result that their premature release influences

Incorrect.

This answer choice is grammatically incorrect. This answer choice is comprised of two clauses connected by the conjunction As:

As [Jane is a doctor], [she could help the boy]

[Jane could help the boy], as [she is a doctor].

However, by changing this results to with the result, the second clause becomes a fragment, lacking both a subject (previously this) and a conjugated verb (previously results):

As [Exit polls .... appear] , [ with the result that ...]
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election, sometime [#permalink]
Dear AjiteshArun and AndrewN

Can you please show the error in my analysis, and why Option C triumphs over Option D?

nikhilongc wrote:
All other options except C and D have glaring errors.

But, among C and D, D shines out to be the best.

As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election, sometimes appearing before all the polling stations are closed, this results in their premature release influencing voters to change their ballot.

Quote:
(A) As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election, sometimes appearing before all the polling stations are closed, this results in their premature release influencing

Incorrect usage of "AS + Clause". Also, the usage of the demonstrative pronoun "this" is wrong as it should be followed by it's noun for it's intended meaning in the sentence.

Quote:
(B) Exit polls, used for projecting an election's winners and sometimes appearing before polling stations are closed, result in their premature release influencing

Exit polls (modifier) result in their premature release. Whose premature release. Just wrong construction.

Quote:
(C) Used to project the winners of an election, exit polls sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed with the result that their premature release influences

Used to project.. is a Verb-rd modifier which correctly modifies it's subject Exit polls after the comma, but the error lies in the later part of this sentence. Exit polls appear before polling stations are closed with the result that their release influences voters. What? This is just a mess. No comma before with, just a "Khichdi" of all sorts.
Quote:
(D) Exit polls used to project an election's winner sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed, with the result that their premature release influences

This seems to have no issues. Used to project.. is a verb-ed phrase modifying the preceding noun "Exit polls" correctly. Comma + with the result... correctly acts as an adverbial modifier. Hence, this is the correct choice.

Quote:
(E) As exit polls used to project an election's winner sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed, with the result that their premature release influences

Incorrect usage of "AS + Clause".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Incorrect.

This answer choice is grammatically incorrect. Using two reason conjunctions / phrases (as and this results in) to express the relation between two parts of a sentence is redundant. Only one should be used:

As [exit polls are used to project, sometimes appearing before stations are closed,] [their premature release influences voters]

[exit polls are used to project, sometimes appearing before stations are closed,] ; this results in [their premature release influencing voters]

Incorrect.

This answer choice is illogical. Changing the conjugated verb are used into a modifier (used for ...) turns Exit polls into the subject of the verb result. This creates an illogical sentence:

Exit polls, ... , result in their (own?) premature release ...

This answer choice corrects the original redundancy by removing the reason conjunction As at the beginning of the sentence, keeping only one reason phrase (with the result).

Incorrect.

This answer choice is illogical. Changing the conjugated verb are used into a modifier (used to ...) turns Exit polls into the subject of the verb result. This creates an illogical sentence:

Exit polls, ... , sometimes (a) appear ... and (b) result in their (own?) premature release ...

Incorrect.

This answer choice is grammatically incorrect. This answer choice is comprised of two clauses connected by the conjunction As:

As [Jane is a doctor], [she could help the boy]

[Jane could help the boy], as [she is a doctor].

However, by changing this results to with the result, the second clause becomes a fragment, lacking both a subject (previously this) and a conjugated verb (previously results):

As [Exit polls .... appear] , [ with the result that ...]

Bunuel there seems to be a correction in answer choice (D) pertaining to the OE. D in the question does not have conjunction "and" in it.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Incorrect.

This answer choice is illogical. Changing the conjugated verb are used into a modifier (used to ...) turns Exit polls into the subject of the verb result.

The explanation does not make sense. "result" is a noun in answer D, not a verb.

What is the source?

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
IanStewart wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Incorrect.

This answer choice is illogical. Changing the conjugated verb are used into a modifier (used to ...) turns Exit polls into the subject of the verb result.

The explanation does not make sense. "result" is a noun in answer D, not a verb.

What is the source?

Yeah. Thank you, IanStewart, for having chimed in on the point. (I suppose this could be one of the 25 percent of questions you referred to in another recent post.) I was delaying my own response to nikhilongc because I did not know, exactly, how to explain that I was unsure how to interpret the OE for (D) specifically. I think you put a finger on one of the major issues quite nicely.

I seem to recall an official question that had something to do with voting that could have served as a template for this question. I remember a GMATNinja reply specifically that pointed out that the grammar of a certain choice made it seem as if some non-physical entity was casting votes, perhaps, but I was unable to locate the question. Ring any bells?

- Andrew
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
AndrewN wrote:
Yeah. Thank you, IanStewart, for having chimed in on the point. (I suppose this could be one of the 25 percent of questions you referred to in another recent post.) I was delaying my own response to nikhilongc because I did not know, exactly, how to explain that I was unsure how to interpret the OE for (D) specifically. I think you put a finger on one of the major issues quite nicely.

I seem to recall an official question that had something to do with voting that could have served as a template for this question. I remember a GMATNinja reply specifically that pointed out that the grammar of a certain choice made it seem as if some non-physical entity was casting votes, perhaps, but I was unable to locate the question. Ring any bells?

When I post in the Verbal section here, it's most often to CR questions, so most of those 25 percent would have been CR, though this question might belong among those too. I can't even tell what the right answer here should be; answer C is missing a comma as written, while answer D changes the meaning to something that may not be intended (by restricting only to exit polls specifically used to predict winners) and also seems to have an ambiguous 'their'. The word choices in the sentence are strange anyway ("appear" especially seems to be the wrong word to use), and it's always hard to use meaning to decide on an answer when the words don't seem to have been chosen to convey a precise meaning.

I don't read enough SC threads that a particular SC reply is likely to be familiar, but hopefully GMATNinja will stop by and point to the relevant thread!

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts