Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27 (Online)
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online Enhanced -- A Disaster [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ArindamLucky wrote:
Hi all

Sharing my experience of the enhanced GMAT.

So i had my exam scheduled for 9th June 4pm IST. Everything started well initially . Login process was smooth ,was able to connect to the proctor and all the verification and pre checks were completed in time. Then I was asked to begin the exam where in it will launch a secure browser and the exam would begin. This is were the actual problem began.

Initially the secure browser got stuck and it was all white screen , the proctor said to me that it is loading please wait and i almost waited for around 10-15 mins for it to load. Meanwhile i was continuously asking the proctor if there is any issue and all and he said to wait. After a long wait he started checking on his side and couldn't find any issue. I asked him if i can restart the system and open this again ( task manager and all applications were blocked seems the browser takes over admin control and restricts anything in the background) . Initially he said no but then later agreed and before i could write down the meeting link he disconnected the call.

Next i restarted my system with a hope that GoTo meeting(used to connect to proctor) would have saved the chat somewhere. Somehow managed to get the link and when i tried to login it said meeting is invalid or expired. Then i had to contact support and after around 15 -20 mins i got another link to connect with the proctor. So we repeated the same steps and fortunately this time i was able to see something in the browser.

Next read the list of instructions and reached the page where you need to select the order of sections. To my unfortunate luck the page got stuck there itself with the timer running(FYI we just have 1 min to make a selection) and i kept on selecting on my preferred order but nothing happened the proctor asked me to hit on the other options but no response from the browser and after some time it picked up the quant-verbal-ir-awa order which something i didn't want.

First was the quant section where for first few questions the browser was okay but after that selecting or deselecting an option used to take so much time and also progressing to the next question was so difficult because every time i used to click on next the browser used to say evaluating and would take it's own time. Entire section there was lag and sometimes the screen would completely be in hung state. Terrible Quants section. Somehow managed to finish it.

Next I had an option to take a break of 8 mins but thanks to my proctor he didn't even respond. You will be given 1 min to select whether you want a break or you want to continue. After that screen popped up i kept on calling out for my proctor even messaged him on GoTo meeting but no response so somehow i started the break and informed in the call that i am starting the break because the call was being recorded. But to getup from your seat you need proctor's permission and there was no response. I kept on asking and he replied back when i had around 2 mins left in the break time. Went to the loo and by the time i came back and followed the same checks time was almost complete.

Interestingly my luck was so bad that the break timer went into negative and kept taking time from the Verbal section because i was not able to proceed as the browser was not allowing me to. after multiple clicks it somehow went into the 1st question and a message kept popping .Somehow managed to answer the 1st question post that it was similar to what i experienced in quants except here proceeding to the next questions was taking around 30 mins.

IR section was okay except the calculator was slow that i preferred calculating on the whiteboard.

Next the AWA section began where the entire browser was so laggy. After every 4-5 words the editor would stop responding and i had made a habit of typing fast so by the time i would realize that it's stuck i would have typed quite a number of words. This lag was consistent throughout the section. Couldn't complete my essay too properly and i am assure i would have missed some words in between due to this glitch.

Overall I would say they are charging such a high fee for the exam but the infrastructure and the system is so poor that one should avoid. I know there are folks who never know when you will have such a worst day.

System and ISP Details:
Windows 10 laptop with 16gb ram and3 ISP providers including Airtel 4G Hotspot
Trust me you may be feel that you are prepared for the worst but if something like this happens your confidence dips down and never regains back to the same level.

At the end i received a score of 620 (Q49 V27) which is way below what i was expecting considering my previous mock scores (target score of 720+)
Veritas Free mock- 690
GMAT mock 1 -690
GMAT mock 1 -710
GMAT mock 1 -700
GMAT mock 4 -730
GMAT mock 5 - 760
GMAT mock 6 - 750
Manhattan Free mock - 700

Currently i am completely shattered after what has happened with me because there was a point in time during the exam when i was super panicked and could never control it because the issues kept on happening. I am not sure what needs to be done next but would need some advice from the experts on this.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

VeritasKarishma
GMATBusters
GMATNinja
bb

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Arindam. Did you run a system test on this system with this connection before the test? At what time in the day did you take the test? Was it in the middle of office hrs, i.e. the time of heavy work load in these work-from-home days?
Judging by the issues you faced, I would say that either the network was not good at that time or your system was not good enough. Their online platform has been working well for a while now.
Hopefully, GMAC will take a lenient view of the situation. You have already mailed them about the issues so hopefully they will offer you a free retest. Ensure that you do a system test and that there is enough free disk space etc so that the system is not slow. Also, early morning time might be better suited for the test.

Yes, it was a bad experience, but I am guessing you cancelled your score. Then, if you get a free retest, great! Else, the only thing you would have lost is money. But think of what you gained - first hand experience of what actual GMAT looks like. You know that your Quant is set. Without the issues, you would have likely got a 50/51.
What your Verbal would have been, we cannot say but depending on whether you could identify some weaknesses while taking the test, this could be a chance to go in better prepared next time around.
Also, now with most places opening up, you might want to take the test in the test centre. At least infrastructure quality will be their problem in that case.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi,

Did you hear anything from GMAC?
I faced a similar issue during my exam, yesterday. Wondering, if there's any chance that they will get back to us.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Veenu21 wrote:
Hi,

I faced a similar issue during my exam, yesterday. Wondering, if there's any chance that they will get back to us.

Nope nothing . No replies to my mails from GMAC. I have lost hope now.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ArindamLucky wrote:
Veenu21 wrote:
Hi,

Nope nothing. No replies to my emails from GMAC. I have lost hope now.

Hi GMAT Experts,

Is there a way to take this further.
Please help us out.

@Bunnel
bb
GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello,

I faced something very similar on my exam on 14th June. I had to re-start my system twice and proctor could'nt hear me properly. All this led to exam getting delayed by 1 hr. I know there was nothing wrong with the internet from my side, as the proctor as well checked the internet speed.

I as well did not score a good score (660 Q49 V31). Although I was scoring pretty well in all mocks.

Thanks
Psurabhi
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 179
Schools: ISB '23 (WL)
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V36
GMAT 3: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
GMAT Online Enhanced -- A Disaster [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Arindam,

Sorry to hear about your bad test experience, but I also faced a similar but smaller version of this when I gave my test on 5th Jan, 2020. After the verification checks were done, and before the test was about to start, the system hung on a white screen for at least 15 minutes. I tried to get hold of my proctor during all this but he didn't respond a bit. I got so frustrated and almost gave up hope, thinking that my money was lost. I also couldn't move away from the screen like you because of that instruction where you need proctor's permission. I thought there was some network problem, so I switched from standard wifi (airtel hotspot - just like yours) to a mobile hotspot (VI). But that didn't work too. So in my last desperate try, I restarted the system without being able to get a proctor's permission. I thought why not! What else could I have done at that moment?! Thankfully after the restart, I could log in again and the test started smoothly. Although I didn't face any other issues you mentioned, I still lost some energy in all that woeful episode right before the start of my exam. And I think it did affect my quant score because it dropped from Q49 to Q45. I still don't know what the problem was, but if it is still persisting after 6 months, then maybe GMAC needs to rectify it as soon as possible. I am again planning to give my online exam soon, and sometimes I still dread that white screen. Hopefully, this time it or anything worse won't happen, and also, hopefully, you get your free retest.

P.S - Even though I was also using the airtel hotspot, I don't think it was the problem because it usually works for every other thing. After hearing Karishma's thoughts I do concur that web traffic issue on WFH days might have contributed to it because I gave my exam in between normal office hours.

Anyways just wanted to share my story because I felt a little bit of deja vu when I was reading yours. Best of luck with your next attempt. God knows we need it!

Regards

Originally posted by Arjun02 on 16 Jun 2021, 12:49.
Last edited by Arjun02 on 16 Jun 2021, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72868 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
It’s been 3 business days. You lost hope already? That’s all it takes? Three business days.

It seems OK test gone bad but it does take for a dud five business days… and since you started the test, they will need to review it to make the decision and make sure they know what happened And how to resolve it.

Anyway, since you started the test and actually saw Questions, he will not be able to retake for 16 days so you should expect to be taking the test on the 26th at the soonest or 27th however they count it… but I wouldn’t book it yet because you will most likely receive a voucher so I would go back to studying and preparing…. And not spend too much of your mental energy yet.

ArindamLucky wrote:
Veenu21 wrote:
Hi,

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
It’s been 3 business days. You lost hope already? That’s all it takes? Three business days.

It seems OK test gone bad but it does take for a dud five business days… and since you started the test, they will need to review it to make the decision and make sure they know what happened And how to resolve it.

Anyway, since you started the test and actually saw Questions, he will not be able to retake for 16 days so you should expect to be taking the test on the 26th at the soonest or 27th however they count it… but I wouldn’t book it yet because you will most likely receive a voucher so I would go back to studying and preparing…. And not spend too much of your mental energy yet.

ArindamLucky wrote:
Veenu21 wrote:
Hi,

BB it has already been a week since my exam and they have already sent the official score. That's why I have lost hope on this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [1]
Given Kudos: 295
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Online Enhanced -- A Disaster [#permalink]
Kudos
ArindamLucky wrote:
bb wrote:

BB it has already been a week since my exam and they have already sent the official score. That's why I have lost hope on this.

- Reading So many issues with online Mock , perhaps we should give a mock while getting disturbed to replicate " real world GMAT Online Experience". . I have a sibling to make the job little easier

GMATNinja bb
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72868 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
ArindamLucky wrote:

I’m sorry. A confess that I have not read the entire topic and responded in a hurry. You really don’t want to finish a test that goes wrong. I don’t know how to say it properly but it’s really tough dealing with this after the fact so I’m really sorry about your situation. This sucks. The only solution I have found two avoiding these terrible situations is basically terminating the test before you finish it. It’s not a nice recommendation and I wouldn’t give it but I see very little compassion or action from the test administrators to allow people to retake. Your situation was completely inappropriate and I thought that you never actually finished your test which unfortunately is the better case scenario.

I will keep pestering them but frankly pulling the plug on this case may not be the worst approach either, as you suggested.

Sorry again.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
ArindamLucky wrote:

I’m sorry. A confess that I have not read the entire topic and responded in a hurry. You really don’t want to finish a test that goes wrong. I don’t know how to say it properly but it’s really tough dealing with this after the fact so I’m really sorry about your situation. This sucks. The only solution I have found two avoiding these terrible situations is basically terminating the test before you finish it. It’s not a nice recommendation and I wouldn’t give it but I see very little compassion or action from the test administrators to allow people to retake. Your situation was completely inappropriate and I thought that you never actually finished your test which unfortunately is the better case scenario.

I will keep pestering them but frankly pulling the plug on this case may not be the worst approach either, as you suggested.

Sorry again.

You are right. It's better to just cancel the test if there's any technical issue. But I realized this after going through all this torment.
I have already exhausted my 2 online attempts and now I have no other option.

I think the GMAC team is not taking this issue seriously, their Secure Browser is not working. They are not realizing how much all of this affects our future.
I will try my level best to get their attention so that no one else has to go through this.

ArindamLucky Arjun02 psurabhi
Please tweet about your concerns by tagging OfficialGMAT.
Sometimes they reply to tweets.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63654 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hD13 wrote:
- Reading So many issues with online Mock , perhaps we should give a mock while getting disturbed to replicate " real world GMAT Online Experience". . I have a sibling to make the job little easier

GMATNinja bb

Hm, maybe I can rent out my 3-year-old for this purpose? :tongue_opt3
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM