Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
brains wrote:
Got 4 correct out of 7. Very disappointing and took 7 mins also to solve.. Incorrect responses in
Q4- My response B
Q5- My response B
Q6- My response A

I still have to figure out why i marked this response. Can experts shed some light into the flow of analysis that one should adopt while trying to find out the errors committed. I tried to find out where i went wrong but then ultimately could not conclude whether it was due to not attending to details and then making inference or the comprehension problem.

Should i not bother about the time factor that i am taking or should i go along with time factor. I have my Gmat scheduled next month.
GMATNinja and VeritasKarishma

While attempting the questions, keep the timer on. Make sure you practice solving under pressure. Later, while evaluating your mistakes, there should be no time limit. Once you find the questions you answered incorrectly, you should attempt them again without the timer. See if you get the right answer this time around. It will tell you what exactly went wrong.

Thank you for the insight. But, don't you think that if i reattempt, its going to be right because , may be, i would remember the answer and explanation. I hope when you say reattempting, it is reattempting after a few days . Cool, i will try to do this and see how it works . Thank you again for the quick response
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
What is the level of this RC passage? Can anyone tell me
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32908 [1]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PallabiKundu wrote:
What is the level of this RC passage? Can anyone tell me

Hello PallabiKundu

What I have understand is that you are asking for the difficulty level of the questions. Below it is.

Question #1: 550
Question #2: 600
Question #3: 550
Question #4: 600
Question #5: 650
Question #6: 650
Question #7: 600

Overall: 600
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
I have a general question about the passage.

"Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect."

What's the point of saying "have long speculated" here?

As far as I understood:
- Dim galaxies are one of the two possible explanations of the missing baryonic mass (the other explanation is that missing baryonic mass is in intergalactic space).

Shouldn't we say just "Astronomers speculate"? Or in the worst case scenario, "Astronomers have speculated" (without "long")?

Additionally, the passage is in present tense, therefore I see no reason to use present perfect (have speculated).

Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
custodio wrote:
I have a general question about the passage.

"Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect."

What's the point of saying "have long speculated" here?

As far as I understood:
- Dim galaxies are one of the two possible explanations of the missing baryonic mass (the other explanation is that missing baryonic mass is in intergalactic space).

Shouldn't we say just "Astronomers speculate"? Or in the worst case scenario, "Astronomers have speculated" (without "long")?

Additionally, the passage is in present tense, therefore I see no reason to use present perfect (have speculated).

Thanks.

Their speculation started a long ago and it is still going on.
have long speculated is correct here

Dim galaxies are one of the two possible explanations of the missing baryonic mass (the other explanation is that missing baryonic mass is in intergalactic space).- WRONG
Dim galaxies are one of the two possible SOURCE of the missing baryonic mass (the other source is that missing baryonic mass is in intergalactic space).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Dear Experts,

GMATNinja
VeritasKarishma
AjiteshArun

In Q6., I got hesitated in choice B,
Quote:
96. The author of the passage would be most likely to disagree with which of the following statements?

(B) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are often spiral in shape.

According to the passage,
Quote:
Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these galaxies have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral, but tend to be much larger.

Why author would agree with choice(B) with the word "OFTEN"?
Since I cannot see any mentions of the likelihood of galaxy shapes.

How can I eliminate it with confidence?

Appreciate,
-tor
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TorGmatGod wrote:

Hi TorGmatGod,

The correct answer will be something that the author is (most) likely to disagree with. In the portion of the passage you're looking at, the author clearly says "these galaxies have the same general shape... as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral". This means that ~ low-surface-brightness galaxies are spiral in shape. The only difference between what we see in the passage and what option B says is that option B includes the word often.

(1) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are spiral in shape. ← This is what the passage tells us.
(2) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are often spiral in shape. ← This is option B.

Someone who agrees with (1) will most likely also agree with (2). If it helps, we can read B as "many low-surface-brightness galaxies are spiral in shape". If all low-surface-brightness galaxies are spiral in shape, then the statement "many low-surface-brightness galaxies are spiral in shape" is also true, so the author is unlikely to disagree with it. On the other hand, the author would definitely disagree with E, because he or she says that the missing baryonic mass "might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space".
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TorGmatGod wrote:
Dear Experts,

GMATNinja
VeritasKarishma
AjiteshArun

In Q6., I got hesitated in choice B,
Quote:
96. The author of the passage would be most likely to disagree with which of the following statements?

(B) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are often spiral in shape.

According to the passage,
Quote:
Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these galaxies have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral, but tend to be much larger.

Since I cannot see any mentions of the likelihood of galaxy shapes.

How can I eliminate it with confidence?

Appreciate,
-tor

"same general shape" and "often have the same shape" are not very different.
"Same general shape" means that most have this shape but there could be some exceptions. "Often have the same shape" is also the same idea. When you are talking about galaxies, there is a lot we don't know. So making definitive statements is not possible.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
GRE 1: Q168 V160
Send PM
Adding a data point to help others gauge their performance:
9:08 minutes to read and answer all 7 questions. I got 6/7 correct
English as a second language
AjiteshArun wrote:
TorGmatGod wrote:

Hi TorGmatGod,

The correct answer will be something that the author is (most) likely to disagree with. In the portion of the passage you're looking at, the author clearly says "these galaxies have the same general shape... as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral". This means that ~ low-surface-brightness galaxies are spiral in shape. The only difference between what we see in the passage and what option B says is that option B includes the word often.

(1) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are spiral in shape. ← This is what the passage tells us.
(2) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are often spiral in shape. ← This is option B.

Someone who agrees with (1) will most likely also agree with (2). If it helps, we can read B as "many low-surface-brightness galaxies are spiral in shape". If all low-surface-brightness galaxies are spiral in shape, then the statement "many low-surface-brightness galaxies are spiral in shape" is also true, so the author is unlikely to disagree with it. On the other hand, the author would definitely disagree with E, because he or she says that the missing baryonic mass "might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space".

AjiteshArun
Thanks for the nice explanation, but it confused a bit me.
Quote:
these galaxies (dim galaxies) have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral

It seems that Low-surface-brightness galaxies is same as dim galaxies, right? From the above quote, the conventional galaxy is the spiral as the spiral has been used as the modifier of conventional galaxy. So, from the quote, it seems that conventional galaxy (not Low-surface-brightness galaxies/ dim galaxies) are spiral in shape.
Am I missing anything here?
Thank you very much.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
It seems that Low-surface-brightness galaxies is same as dim galaxies, right? From the above quote, the conventional galaxy is the spiral as the spiral has been used as the modifier of conventional galaxy. So, from the quote, it seems that conventional galaxy (not Low-surface-brightness galaxies/ dim galaxies) are spiral in shape.
Am I missing anything here?
Thank you very much.

Hi TheUltimateWinner,

Let's look at that part of the passage again:
mendelay wrote:

This is where the author tells us that very dim galaxies have the same general shape as spiral galaxies do.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Paraphrasing:
Passage pattern: introducing & explaining a phenomenon, with its benefits (answer 7)

Introduction: Conventional galaxies vs dim galaxies
Dim galaxies are
1. Recently went unnoticed by astronomers
2. Have same structure as conventional galaxies
3. Are spiral but tends to be much larger size than conventional galaxies (answer 2)
4. Mass spread out in larger area than conventional galaxies
5. Fewer star per unit volume
6. Low-surface brightness galaxies
7. Evolves slowly than conventional galaxies (answer 1)

Baryons numbers (mass)
1. can be estimated based on how luminous galaxies are.
2. baryons are the source of galactic luminosity (answer 5)
3. Answer to missing baryonic mass in universe (answer 4)
4. The amount of helium in the universe suggests that there are far more baryons in the universe – (answer 3)

Benefits of finding Baryonic mass:
might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or
as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
Hi Experts,
KarishmaB GMATNinja

I was confused btw D & E in Q96.
(D) Astronomers have devised a useful way of estimating the total baryonic mass in the universe.
(E) Astronomers have discovered a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space.

"Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect"
From these 2 lines, we can infer that Astronomers might discover baryonic mass in future. So author doesn't completely disagree with the idea that baryonic mass can be discovered or would have been discovered. Author has shared hints about the discovery in a positive way.
The reason I rejected D bcz author didn't share any perspective on devising a useful way of estimating baryonic mass. We don't know author's perspective regarding this new way.

95. The author mentions the fact that baryons are the source of stars’ luminosity primarily in order to explain
(E) how astronomers know bright galaxies contain more baryons than do dim galaxies
Why E is incorrect?

Based on luminosity, we can calculate no of baryons. So astronomers can say bright galaxies will have more no. of baryons compared to dim. Why E is incorrect then?

Thank you very much.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
"Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect"
From these 2 lines, we can infer that Astronomers might discover baryonic mass in future. So author doesn't completely disagree with the idea that baryonic mass can be discovered or would have been discovered. Author has shared hints about the discovery in a positive way.

Hi Sneha2021,

Let's take a look at some of the important words in that part of the passage.
mendelay wrote:
Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect.

Option E tells us that astronomers have (already) discovered a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space. If they've already discovered so much baryonic mass in intergalactic space, why are they still speculating that intergalactic space would be a good place to go looking for the missing baryonic mass? The passage certainly doesn't tell us that they've already found lots of baryonic mass there and now want to look for even more, so it's more likely that they haven't found any (or much) baryonic mass in intergalactic space yet, and that's why they think intergalactic space may where the missing baryonic mass is. Even the second candidate ("some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect") is something that we wouldn't expect astronomers to already know a great deal about.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply

Question 6 (or 96)

Sneha2021 wrote:
Hi Experts,
KarishmaB GMATNinja

I was confused btw D & E in Q96.
(D) Astronomers have devised a useful way of estimating the total baryonic mass in the universe.
(E) Astronomers have discovered a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space.

The reason I rejected D bcz author didn't share any perspective on devising a useful way of estimating baryonic mass. We don't know author's perspective regarding this new way.

Starting with (E):
Quote:
(E) [the author would disagree that] Astronomers have discovered a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space.

The words "have discovered" very specifically tell us that astronomers already discovered a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space. The last line of the passage tells us that astronomers have speculated that this mass exists, but nothing indicates that it has already been discovered, as written in (E).

Additionally, the same line discusses two possible answers to the long-standing puzzle of extra mass: matter in intergalactic space, or extra galaxies that are difficult to detect.

The passage provides ample support for the second answer: these difficult-to-detect galaxies HAVE been detected. They may well account for the entirety of the missing mass. By contrast, the author doesn't provide any evidence to support the idea that there is a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space.

The author would disagree that astronomers have discovered a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space, so (E) is the correct answer.

Here's (D):
Quote:

The author discusses two ways of estimating baryonic mass: luminosity, and "the amount of helium in the universe, as measured by spectroscopy." This second method is used to estimate the total baryonic mass in the universe, so that's the method (D) is talking about.

There is a gap between the two measures -- the measured luminosity of galaxies is low compared to measured amount of helium. From this, the author says that there is "missing" matter. This means that the author trusts the higher number given by the helium method, and is searching for a reason to explain why the luminosity is lower than it should be.

Because the author trusts the helium method of measuring the total baryonic mass in the universe, the author would agree with (D).

(D) is out.

Question 5 (or 95)

Sneha2021 wrote:
95. The author mentions the fact that baryons are the source of stars’ luminosity primarily in order to explain
(E) how astronomers know bright galaxies contain more baryons than do dim galaxies
Why E is incorrect?

Based on luminosity, we can calculate no of baryons. So astronomers can say bright galaxies will have more no. of baryons compared to dim. Why E is incorrect then?

Thank you very much.

Here's the exact wording of question 5:
Quote:
95. The author mentions the fact that baryons are the source of stars’ luminosity primarily in order to explain...

To answer this question, we're not just looking for something that's true about the "fact." We're looking for the primary reason WHY the author included the fact in the passage. What role does it play in the author's overall point?

In the second paragraph, the author talks about a "long-standing puzzle" : there is "missing" baryonic mass in the universe. We know about this missing mass because of a gap between two different ways to measure baryonic mass -- helium and luminosity.

So, the author mentions the fact that baryons are the source of stars’ luminosity to connect these dots. That's a great fit with (C):
Quote:
(C) why astronomers can use galactic luminosity to estimate baryonic mass

(C) is the correct answer to question 5.

Here's (E):
Quote:

Again, when the author mentions the "fact," he/she is primarily trying to show how luminosity plays into the puzzle of the missing mass. He/she is not concerned with comparing the masses of different types of galaxies.

Additionally, the author would not agree that dim galaxies have fewer baryons than bright galaxies do -- in fact, we know from the first paragraph that they have the "same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy." It's just that dim galaxies are more spread out, making it tough to detect the luminosity of those galaxies. In other words, the luminosity measure was off because it failed to detect the baryons in the dim galaxies.

Eliminate (E) for question 5.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
ThatDudeKnows why not E in the primary purpose. Isn’t the last para talking about a situation that shows there are more baryons and this is inconsistent with the situation that these galaxies can help account for Missing baryons avigutman

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
the last para talking about a situation that shows there are more baryons and this is inconsistent with the situation that these galaxies can help account for Missing baryons

Can you elaborate on how the above qualifies as an inconsistency please, Elite097? I’m not seeing it unfortunately.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts