Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: New hypotheses propose that astronomic impacts of meteors and comets [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:
New hypotheses propose that astronomic impacts of meteors and comets may have resulted in reversals in the Earth’s tectonic field, the dawning of ice ages, drifting apart ocean floors 80 million years ago, and great volcanic eruptions.

(A) drifting apart ocean floors
(B) the drifting apart of ocean floors
(C) drifted apart ocean floors
(D) ocean floors drift apart
(E) ocean floors that were drifted apart

Hi , the answer is B ;

New hypotheses propose that astronomic impacts of meteors and comets may have resulted in reversals in the Earth’s tectonic field ,the dawning of ice ages,drifting apart ocean floors 80 million years ago, and great volcanic eruptions.

Let us walk through option choices

A ) drifting apart ocean floors ---- Not Parallel with other list in sentence ---- wrong;
(C) drifted apart ocean floors ---- Change in verb tense --- Not Parallel .
(D) ocean floors drift apart --- what is ocean floors drift apart modifying ; It seems as if Ocean floors itself drifted and also it is not parallel ---- hence wrong ;
(E) ocean floors that were drifted apart --- Modifier error - Not parallel ---- wrong ;

Only B maintains the correct parallelism here . Hence B :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Re: New hypotheses propose that astronomic impacts of meteors and comets [#permalink]
I think the answer is B... because it is parallel with the sentence given in the question.... in choice a) omission of "the" make the sentence nonparallel.... in choice c) "drifted" changes the tense or if it would have been "and drifted apart ocean floors" then it might have been right.... choice d) just changes the meaning of the whole sentence, in changing from drifting to drift apart... in choice e) is first of all not at all parallel with the given sentence, moreover dawning and drifting are subordinate clauses not the main... thus e) is also wrong...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools: ISB '16
Send PM
The sentence talks about the impacts caused or the phenomena occurred as a result of something. Hence "drifting apart ocean floors" should also indicate a phenomenon while maintaining parallelism with the other two phenomena. For this the 'of' and 'the' are needed.

Only option B satisfies all these, hence answer should be B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
New hypotheses propose that astronomic impacts of meteors and comets may have resulted in reversals in the Earth’s tectonic field, the dawning of ice ages, drifting apart ocean floors 80 million years ago, and great volcanic eruptions.

IMO ans is B

Parallel listing here can be categorized as...

.......may have resulted in reversals in
1. the Earth’s tectonic field,
2. the dawning of ice ages,
3. the drifting apart of ocean floors 80 million years ago,
4. and great volcanic eruptions

Also, The drifting (similar to the dawning ) emphasis on gradual continuous processthat took place 80 million years ago and hence states the implied meaning correctly :done

Three beers :shocked :beer :boom for you if my reasoning is correct and i win :wave
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
The answer is B.

Here 'drifting apart ocean floors' is not describing the result of 'the dawning of ice-ages'.

Originally posted by gmatter0913 on 27 Apr 2014, 04:41.
Last edited by gmatter0913 on 29 Apr 2014, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Design (Computer Software)
Send PM
Agree with B. It maintains parallelism
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Project Management (Consulting)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

I will choose B.

The logic I used is parallelism. The list is of nouns: reversal, the dawning, the drafting and volcanic eruptions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
WE:Design (Computer Software)
IMO B:
The sentence talks about "impacts of meteors and comets" effects caused by impact should be parallel. The correct choice should be parallel and should indicate a cause and effect relation ship.
In the answer choices only A and B indicate a cause and effect relationship, and only choice B is parallel.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply

Winner of Premium Membersip Contest Q4

dheeraj24
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
I think it is B. Maintains proper parallelism.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

I will go with A
Here is why:-
A) drifting apart ocean floors- since the action continues in present. hence Correct
B) Grammatically correct but it does not conveys that the action continues in present- change in intended meaning.
c) Not parallel
d) Not parrallel
e) Not parallel
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts