Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: HBS (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Related to Manhattan Mock [#permalink]
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
Hi there,

As a teacher at Manhattan Prep, I've seen it all--people whose score is about the same as the official tests, people whose score on our tests are lower, people whose score on our test is higher.

If I had to guess, I'd say our scores tend to skew *slightly* lower than officials, by 10-30 points. *Maybe*. But teaching for the company for five years now, I would say our tests are generally pretty predictive of actual performance.

I do think our tests *feel* harder, for what that's worth.

Regarding this one test, the point now is not the score is and 'how accurate is it'--the point is what can you learn from the test to get better at the GMAT. For instance, you said you struggled with time--should you have guessed sooner on more questions?

Hey

Whatever it is but dude your quant made me sweat, sooo long questions with soooo many variables and equations, I have given GMAT exam as well last year and from that experience, your test is way tougher. But I also believe that its a good challange for someone trying to score Q50 or 51 in the actual exam. Verbal was super but a little tougher than actual questions.

Gagan
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC
EMPOWERgmat Instructor Any suggestion?

Gagan
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Gagan,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. While the most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion that matches the parameters that you will face when you take the Official GMAT) - so you can use any NEW CATs from any of those sources next. The MGMAT CATs are generally regarded as being a little tougher than the Official GMAT, but this recent 680 is fairly similar to the Score that you have listed in your profile (a 690).

1) Is that 690 an Official Score? If it is, then when did you take that Official GMAT?
2) Did you taken any of the Official CATs/mocks from www.mba.com before taking your 1st GMAT? And have you taken any of them more than once?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Gagan,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. While the most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion that matches the parameters that you will face when you take the Official GMAT) - so you can use any NEW CATs from any of those sources next. The MGMAT CATs are generally regarded as being a little tougher than the Official GMAT, but this recent 680 is fairly similar to the Score that you have listed in your profile (a 690).

1) Is that 690 an Official Score? If it is, then when did you take that Official GMAT?
2) Did you taken any of the Official CATs/mocks from https://www.mba.com before taking your 1st GMAT? And have you taken any of them more than once?

Rich

Hey Rich

Yes, 690 is my true score which i took last year in July. I found this mocks quant to be seriously difficult and long as compared to official questions and other forum questions like EGMAT. From the experience, I have with the GMAT exam and official mocks, the quant is difficult but i don't mind this for practice and solving quickly.Also, I found this mock similar to my friends reviews who recommended this mock.

Verbal was super for me, though i made really silly mistakes in SC (and I have raised some doubts over them in here, please help me clear those basic doubts). I tried all the questions of SC and CR yesterday and got 20 correct out of 24. I guess I was reading too quicly while giving the mock and I have taken out some learnings as well. As per my friend V37 is as good as V39 but these are just pure guess work now.

I hope this week I get time and motivation to practice more quant. Do pray for me and please help me out with my doubts.

Gagan
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 388 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Schools: HEC CBS '23 EDHEC
GPA: 2.95
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Manhattan mocks, especially quant, are bit tough than real GMAT. You can measure your score +30 from Manhattan mock score. The official mocks are most relevant to real gmat.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Gagan,

From your prior posts, I assume that you've taken the first 2 Official GMAC CATs more than once, so we have to be careful about assuming that these 'retake' results are an accurate assessment of your current 'ability level' (as these Scores are likely 'inflated'). If your Score Goal is in the low-700s, then you likely have the necessary knowledge to earn that type of result. The differences between scoring in the high-600s and low-700s will be about how rigorous you are about your note-taking and strategic thinking.

1) When are you planning to take your next Official GMAT?
2) For your next attempt, are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
GMAT Club Bot