Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 899
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Subject in prepositional phrase Singular or plural confused [#permalink]
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
Hi there,

I think, first off, the example sentence you gave is a question of PRONOUNS, not of SUBJECT-VERB agreement.

"A team of researchers conducted the first study of how baby and adult brains interacted during natural play, and they find measurable connections in their neural activity."

A 'team of researchers' would, indeed, take a singular verb. I suspect you're wondering about the 'they find measurable success,' because 'they' is a plural pronoun and 'find' is a plural verb.

But 'they' isn't referencing the 'team.' 'They' is referencing the researchers... and that's allowed. There aren't many rules for which noun a pronoun can replace.

"A pack of wolves stalks a deer through the forest, and they will eat it heartily when they catch it."

Wow thanks a lot, really cleared my doubt i appreciate your response
[Sorry to the deer and to any vegans, that was the first sentence that came to mind].

So the subject in the first clause is the PACK of wolves, but the subject in the second clause (NOTICE THE CONJUNCTION 'AND') is 'they' (the wolves themselves).

In your sentence 'team' is the first subject, and 'they' (the researchers) is the second.

"one of my students" would take the singular: "One of my students is getting a full scholarship."

Here's the trickiest one: "A number of my students." Number is singular, right? And 'students' is in a preposition. So this is like 'team of researchers,' it should be singular, right?

Well... it's not. "A number of my students" means "more than one of my students" so it would actually take the plural. "A team of researchers" means one team [of multiple researchers], so it takes the singular.

Wow thanks a lot i appreciate your response, cleared my doubt fully
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Subject in prepositional phrase Singular or plural confused [#permalink]
Expert Reply
junii wrote:
Hi All. i have read from the gmatwhiz, manhattan says that subject rarely resides in prepositional phrase, Such as:
Team of students- subject should be team right?
I came across this question on gmatwhiz but subject is researchers and verb is plural, for me i thought team is subject
A team of researchers conducted the first study of how baby and adult brains interacted during natural play, and they find measurable connections in their neural activity.
Also for the structure: one of my students, what would be the subject should be singular or plural?
Thank you.

junii - It all depends on context.

Yes, we often use singular verb with a collective noun, but sometimes the context may expect you to use plural.

e.g.
The colony of ants is moving south.
Singular verb is fine.

The colony of ants is/are darting in every direction.
Well, you want to talk about the colony but the focus is on individual members. It doesn't make sense to say that the colony is darting in every direction. So a plural verb would make more sense.
Though a better approach would be to make the subject plural such as
"The ants of the colony are darting in every direction."
But when we do not have the luxury to write our own sentences we make do with the best available option.

In the example given by you, "they" refers to the researchers in the team since the author wants to focus on what the researchers found. It does become a bit subjective so in an actual GMAT question, we will consider the options we have and choose the best available one.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Subject in prepositional phrase Singular or plural confused [#permalink]