Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
congratulations! That's great!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats to another genius :lol:

great summary!!! thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone.

I got a few private emails asking how I studied (esp. for V), my background, and some sundry stuff, so if it helps:

Background: 33/M/Software Engr/SF Bay Area/ Indian with an M.Sc. from a decent Indian school. Have been working in software for ~8 yrs now, all of them in the bay area.
As I said before, applying to PT MBA programs in the Bay area (Haas, Carnegie-Mellon, Davis) + UCLA

~3 weeks ago, after talking to a few people (admissions staff + other applicants) at the Haas PT info session, it became abundantly clear to me that I'm in a very competitive applicant pool (even for the PT program), and I needed a great GMAT score (among other things). The adcom assistant said that there was a less than 20 GMAT difference last year between the PT and FT programs, and that it's getting narrower. That level of competition is just scary. For some reason, the Indian-IT pool has one of the highest avg GMATs around, and this fact is not lost on adcoms. Bottom line, I came away thinking that I had been a little complacent about studying.

How I studied for V: The same way everyone does, I guess. For CR/RC, I recommend only the OG, and perhaps the 1000 sets on these forums (I didn't get time to go through more than a few of them, but some of them are challenging). Between Q and V, I divided my time ~70 - 30. IMHO, V skills are difficult to improve over a short time. SC is an exception (I strongly recommend the Manhattan SC guide), but I think it's very difficult to improve RC/CR in a short period beyond a few points. A few people here have done it, of course.
A major problem for me was that I simply didn't agree with the poorly formulated questions in V guides other than the OG. Every other guide (Princeton, Kaplan, Manhattan, Arco) had too many answers I didn't agree with. In 99% of the V stuff in the OG that I got wrong, if I thought longer about the problem, the answer would make sense. I felt like I learnt something from my mistake and moved on. I didn't feel this with the other guides.

I'm surprised that some people think 6-7 weeks of study is a short period, but there's no way I could've sustained this amount and intensity of study any longer. For the last month, perhaps, I've been thinking of this stupid test all the time, even at work. All my weekends were shot and I didn't notice the holiday season at all. Those who can do this beyond a month are supermen/superwomen. Seriously, if I had studied like this for 2 more weeks, I would have burned out.

Inspiration: Everyone feels low once in a while and so did I, and some stories here have inspired me a lot in the last few days. I salute a few guys who have taken the GMAT thrice to reach that 7xx mark, and some of them scored in the 400s/500s the first time! That shows determination, and I don't know if have it. Had I scored 4XX the first time, I would've been too discouraged to even think about the test again. You guys ROCK!!

Other stuff:
The dreaded yellow sheet + the wet-erase pen: They worked just fine for me. I've small, precise writing, and for Q, I divided the sheet into halves by drawing a line down the middle. If you write in big letters, you might need a second set. I was worried that I would run out of paper in Q, but this didn't happen. The lady said the rules allowed only one set of sheets at a time, but she gave me 3 pens (you can get almost anything if you ask nicely with a smile). The pens are ok but have the annoying habit of drying up on you. The ink sucks (my fingers are still smudged) and the only thing that halfway removed it was my wife's nailpolish remover. I still smell like I work in an acetone factory :-)

If you're an Indian/Chinese citizen and are taking the test in the US, remember to take your passport (& GC, if you have one) AND driver's license. An Indian guy almost missed his appt yesterday as he had to go home and get his passport. The GMAT is difficult enough without you trying to sabotage your own score :-)

That's all from me. Now, I feel that I've neglected my CDs for many days and need to reconnect with Rush, Iron Maiden and Queensryche!
OH YEAH!!!!
:-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
congratulations! [#permalink]
Congrats on your great score.. BTW, my profile is very similar to yours. And I applied to Berkeley R1 part-time. Haven't got an interview call yet.. keeping my fingers crossed.
Good luck with you apps.
Venky
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Finance
 Q49  V48
Send PM
[#permalink]
Way to go! That's an amazing score.
Good luck with your app.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats on your awesome score, where can i get the powerprep sotware ?
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
VP_ENG,
you can get PowerPrep here:
https://www.gradbiz.gardner-webb.edu/gmat.html

I believe it's the older version of GMATprep but has a different set of problems. I think this and GMATprep are the best indicators of your true score.

Good luck,
DF
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 930 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great score. Hope it will help a great deal for your application. :-D
Your verbal is amazing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Update -- AWA 5.0 [#permalink]
Got my official score report today: AWA 5.0 (73 %ile)
I was expecting better, but can live with this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations!!!!
Very Nice Score and Very Nice Summary....

Best of Luck for your future....

Regards,
Brajesh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 534 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats.

What is GMAtprep vs powerprep? I thought they were one and the same thing.. I have GMAT prep installed and took their two exams, where can I find powerprep?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great post. thanks for writing all this up for us :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think you should retake. That Q score would get you dinged at CMU...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
jamesrwrightiii wrote:
I think you should retake. That Q score would get you dinged at CMU...

Hehehe jamesrwrightiii, that was a good one! :-)
Only now, after getting in, do I realize how immature my question was!! Just a few months ago, I was thinking of retaking the GMAT -- the application process brings out the completely irrational part of us.

Update: I applied to Haas + UCLA, somehow got in at both, and as my profile image proudly shows, will attend Haas. GO BEARS!!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
[#permalink]
are the powerprep questions in the 1000 problem sets?
how did u study for CR?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
bmwhype2 wrote:
are the powerprep questions in the 1000 problem sets?

As far as I can tell, no. I didn't study the 1000 problem sets in detail, though. I think I solved only the *last* 100 problems in each set, hoping that they were arranged in order of difficulty. You should solve as many as possible.

bmwhype2 wrote:
how did u study for CR?

Basically, I started at a decent level and didn't need a lot of improvement.
However, one step that definitely helped me was this: after scoring an exam or problem, I would write down the numbers of the problems that I got wrong. Then (maybe the next day), without looking at the correct answers (or remembering them), I would work on them again without the time pressure and try to identify where I went wrong before. I spent a lot of time this way on problems that I had erred on. I noticed that I was doing the common CR mistake of inferring too much. As many books explain, take the conclusion just a *little* beyond what is written. Also, you can eliminate two to three answers on most questions easily, improving your odds greatly.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts