Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [79]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [13]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [7]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: According to research covering the last decade, the average number of [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja,

First thing that came to my mind after looking at answer choice B is-- the number of rooms of high end hotel chains are compared with average hotel industry(while correct comparison should be between the number of rooms of two hotels). However, if we look for other errors in other options, this choice is perfect. How can we sure that this comaprison in this case is correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [5]

Send PM
Re: According to research covering the last decade, the average number of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
First thing that came to my mind after looking at answer choice B is-- the number of rooms of high end hotel chains are compared with average hotel industry(while correct comparison should be between the number of rooms of two hotels). However, if we look for other errors in other options, this choice is perfect. How can we sure that this comaprison in this case is correct?

In a way, I think you answered your own question, AR15J! You can be sure that this comparison is correct because the other four answer choices are very thoroughly wrong. :) On GMAT verbal questions, your job is always to find four wrong answers -- not necessarily one perfect, wonderful, correct answer.

Other than process of elimination, I'm not sure how to be 100% certain that the comparison is correct, but it might help to separate out some of the language in the comparisons. Here's (B) again:

Quote:
(B) According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added by high-end hotel chains was lower than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for the average hotel.

That first one (in green) looks pretty good: "the average number of rooms added was lower than... the hotel industry average." Not bad! The second comparison (in blue) is arguably even better: "rates grew faster for these chains than for the average hotel." I'm not sure that these could possibly be a whole lot better.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos
According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added by high-end hotel chains was lower than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than the average hotel.

(A) than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than

(B) than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for

(C) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates for them grew faster than with

(D) as compared to what the hotel industry average had been for this period, but occupancy and room rates for these chains grew faster than did

(E) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than they did for
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 741
Send PM
Hello expert,
somewhere i studied that options using "these" word should be discarded outright..as it is not of GMAT kind.. is it correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
VKat wrote:
Hello expert,
somewhere i studied that options using "these" word should be discarded outright..as it is not of GMAT kind.. is it correct?

I don't think that's true at all. There's nothing wrong with using the word "these." "These" is just an article that indicates specificity: "These OG explanations drive me crazy sometimes." That's perfectly fine.

If you find the reference, let me know. It's possible that whatever you read was simply saying that you can't use "these" in some specific context. But "these" certainly isn't automatically wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 678 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Rah.ul wrote:
According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added
by high-end hotel chains was lower than what the hotel industry average did for
this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than
the average hotel.

(A) than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their
occupancy and room rates grew faster than
(B) than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room
rates grew faster for these chains than for
(C) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy
and room rates for them grew faster than with
(D) as compared to what the hotel industry average had been for this period,
but occupancy and room rates for these chains grew faster than did
(E) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but their
occupancy and room rates grew faster than they did for

I will go with option B
As compared to is wrong when another comparison element is there.
What the hotel industry average did for this period----->"than the hotel industry average for this period" is better

Hence B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 678 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Rah.ul wrote:
VyshakhR1995 wrote:
Rah.ul wrote:
According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added
by high-end hotel chains was lower than what the hotel industry average did for
this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than
the average hotel.

(A) than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their
occupancy and room rates grew faster than
(B) than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room
rates grew faster for these chains than for
(C) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy
and room rates for them grew faster than with
(D) as compared to what the hotel industry average had been for this period,
but occupancy and room rates for these chains grew faster than did
(E) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but their
occupancy and room rates grew faster than they did for

I will go with option B
As compared to is wrong when another comparison element is there.
What the hotel industry average did for this period----->"than the hotel industry average for this period" is better

Hence B

no doubt B is the correct answer but i am bit confused that average no of rooms is compared to hotel industry average....can you explain how option B compares these two? :roll:

One average is compared to another....I think its confusing for you as you are taking "Rooms" as one object and hotel industry average as the other
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
In this question we can see a 2-3 split containing than vs as compared to! Can someone explain when to use 'than' and when to use 'as compared to'?

Though I got answer as B I can't seem to find really whats wrong with option E.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anurag16 wrote:
In this question we can see a 2-3 split containing than vs as compared to! Can someone explain when to use 'than' and when to use 'as compared to'?

Though I got answer as B I can't seem to find really whats wrong with option E.

For answer choice (E), look at the pronouns, as daagh explained nicely above: https://gmatclub.com/forum/according-to ... l#p1831939

In general, I don't recommend obsessing over idioms: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html. In this case, "was lower than" is a whole lot clearer than "was lower as compared to." But as is often (but not always!) the case on official GMAT questions, you don't even have to pay any attention to the idiom to get this one right, since there are tons of other issues.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
keats wrote:
According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added by high-end hotel chains was lower than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than the average hotel.

(A) than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than
(B) than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for
(C) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates for them grew faster than with
(D) as compared to what the hotel industry average had been for this period, but occupancy and room rates for these chains grew faster than did
(E) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than they did for

Dear GMATNinja , from this question, we find "lower" in the non-underlined part. Since "lower" is a comparative word, so it must be followed by "THAN".

Is this enough to eliminate answer choice C,D,E, which do not have THAN?

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Based on all the options B is the best

but i have question - There is a "comma" before "but" so shouldn't there be a independent clause following "but" with a subject ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
kunalsinghNS wrote:
Based on all the options B is the best

but i have question - There is a "comma" before "but" so shouldn't there be a independent clause following "but" with a subject ?

Technically speaking, the "but" makes the clause dependent, for whatever it's worth. But in (B), there certainly is a full clause (subject + verb) following the comma and "but": "...occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for the average hotel." (Subject in bold, verb in blue.)

I hope this helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
septwibowo wrote:
Dear GMATNinja , from this question, we find "lower" in the non-underlined part. Since "lower" is a comparative word, so it must be followed by "THAN".

Is this enough to eliminate answer choice C,D,E, which do not have THAN?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that you're correct about that. Another way of putting it is that the correct idiom is "lower than", not "lower than opposed to."

I do, however, get nervous about making generalizations about idioms, since they are -- by definition! -- pretty damned arbitrary. I think it's safe to eliminate (C), (D), and (E) in this case, because the idiom is so clearly wrong on those. But whenever you're not 100% sure about the idiom, look for other errors first, just to be safe. More on "idiom safety" here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
keats wrote:

1. Lower.........than {Correct usage, left with only options (A) & (B)}
2. Comparison is between high-end hotel chains vs average hotel chains... {Thus A looks better than (B)}

According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added by high-end hotel chains was lower than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for the average hotel.

In one word, Super Awesome question :student_man:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Is "as compared to" an incorrect idiom? It is even mentioned in the official explanations? @e-gmat also mentioned somewhere that as compared to a correct idiom. Can someone confirm?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun can u explain the comparison in option A

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
saby1410 wrote:
VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun can u explain the comparison in option A

Posted from my mobile device

Quote:

Quote:

2 compairsons:
1. average number of rooms was lower than hotel industry average DID
2. rate grew faster than average hotel

Both these comparison are wrong
1. average number vs DID -- should be number vs number
2. rate vs hotel --> should be rate vs rate

Quote:

in B
comparison :
1. average number vs hotel industrey average ( noun vs noun | average vs average)
2. these chains vs average hotel( noun vs noun| hotel vs hotel)

During comparisons we pay attention:
same parts of speech (e.g. noun vs noun)
same logical comaprison ( e.g. hotel vs hotel , not hotel vs rate)

I hope it helps.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts