Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [25]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [4]
Given Kudos: 482
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: What was as remarkable as the development of his distinctive brush str [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
What was as remarkable as the development of his distinctive brush strokes in the many sketches and watercolors van Gogh produced in his ten short years as an artist, has been the continued popularity of his letter sketches.

A) What was as remarkable as the development of his distinctive brush strokes // remove the modifier. "What was has been..." what a strange sentence.

B) The thing that was as remarkable as develop his distinctive brush strokes // the same as in A. moreover, "the thing" and "develop" is not parallel.

C) No less remarkable than the development of his distinctive brush strokes // a sexy poetic sentence.

D) Developing his distinctive brush strokes has been none the less remarkable than // a complete mess. two "has been" in the same sentence.

E) Development of his distinctive brush strokes has been no less remarkable as // "less" requires "than", not "as"

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: What was as remarkable as the development of his distinctive brush str [#permalink]
Kudos
Meaning: van Gogh "development of distinctive brush strokes" are compared with "popularity of his letter sketches"

A) What was as remarkable as the development of his distinctive brush strokes
-- comparison is better shown in C.

B) The thing that was as remarkable as develop his distinctive brush strokes
-- comparison is not conveyed appropriately, also, not clear what "thing" is pointing to

C) No less remarkable than the development of his distinctive brush strokes
-- I found most appropriate.

D) Developing his distinctive brush strokes has been none the less remarkable than
-- messes up the meaning.

E) Development of his distinctive brush strokes has been no less remarkable as
-- messes up the meaning.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [3]
Send PM
What was as remarkable as the development of his distinctive brush str [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmat1393 wrote:
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

What was as remarkable as the development of his distinctive brush strokes in the many sketches and watercolors van Gogh produced in his ten short years as an artist, has been the continued popularity of his letter sketches.

D) Developing his distinctive brush strokes has been none the less remarkable than

generis are you missing a comma in the sentence?

gmat1393 , no, but I can understand why you might think so.

The comma that exists in the non-underlined portion is placed there for clarity.

In that sense, it follows Rule 11 from this good source, here.*

At the same time, the comma breaks Rule 12 of that source.

The original author of the sentence inserted the comma to prevent confusion, a motivation that typically trumps all other comma rules because clarity is of utmost importance.

If you all see commas in other sentences in places they should not typically be, you are witnessing another instance of that same situation.**

I thought about removing the comma when I posted the question but decided to let it stand.

I'll remove the comma and see whether doing so wreaks havoc. Just know that the correct answer does not turn on that comma's presence or absence. :)

*The source I provided draws from major style manuals such as CMOS and MLA, both of which are used in B school, though professors sometimes use other style guides. (Google the acronyms.) The source also follows the 1600+ page CGEL by Quirk et al. [1991(1985)]. See Appendix III.09, p.1620.

**(The other possibility is that you are seeing a somewhat rare list, something such as
A, B, C, and D, as well as E.
The Oxford comma that is preceded by the word "and" always tells you where the last totally parallel item in a list is. , and D = Oxford comma plus last list item. Item E in this case is less important than the other items or needs to be de-emphasized. That construction is rare and typically seen only in very hard questions.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Kudos
Can someone please explain why A is wrong? Both A and C are the close contenders, on what basis we have chosen C?

Regards,
agar123
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
agar123 wrote:
Can someone please explain why A is wrong? Both A and C are the close contenders, on what basis we have chosen C?

Regards,
agar123

"has been the continued" in the underlined portion needs to have a proper Subject.

Also, has been and was aren't parallel.

I hope this helps!
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
generis wrote:
gmat1393 wrote:
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

generis are you missing a comma in the sentence?

gmat1393 , no, but I can understand why you might think so.

The comma that exists in the non-underlined portion is placed there for clarity.

In that sense, it follows Rule 11 from this good source, here.*

At the same time, the comma breaks Rule 12 of that source.

The original author of the sentence inserted the comma to prevent confusion, a motivation that typically trumps all other comma rules because clarity is of utmost importance.

If you all see commas in other sentences in places they should not typically be, you are witnessing another instance of that same situation.**

I thought about removing the comma when I posted the question but decided to let it stand.

I'll remove the comma and see whether doing so wreaks havoc. Just know that the correct answer does not turn on that comma's presence or absence. :)

*The source I provided draws from major style manuals such as CMOS and MLA, both of which are used in B school, though professors sometimes use other style guides. (Google the acronyms.) The source also follows the 1600+ page CGEL by Quirk et al. [1991(1985)]. See Appendix III.09, p.1620.

**(The other possibility is that you are seeing a somewhat rare list, something such as
A, B, C, and D, as well as E.
The Oxford comma that is preceded by the word "and" always tells you where the last totally parallel item in a list is. , and D = Oxford comma plus last list item. Item E in this case is less important than the other items or needs to be de-emphasized. That construction is rare and typically seen only in very hard questions.)

Thank you generis for taking the time and sharing the knowledge!
Really appreciate
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
(A) What was as remarkable as the development of his distinctive brush strokes
Tense issues otherwise quite a tempting option

B) The thing that was as remarkable as developing his distinctive brush strokes
Parallelism error due to the use of developing for comparison in popularity

This has the parallelism correct so let us hang on to it

developing isn't the right use of parallelism for popularity and nonethless idiomatic error

This has a idiom error no less remarkable should be nonethless

It was really a tough call between A and C i went with C for the pure reason it was more consise
Hence IMO C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts