Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
EconGirl wrote:
I think that the more specific, the better. This question is different from any career Q I have answered that mostly ask for short/long career goals. There is probably a reason for this...

But not too specific. There's a balance.

Saying that you want to be a analyst focused on blue-dye sublimination techniques at Goldman Sachs in their Midtown NYC office will come off as short-sighted. Saying you want to be a analyst focused in "CPGs" with an investment bank or private wealth management firm, will sound focused, but broad enough that your goals are achievable. Similarly saying you want to be an investment banker is too broad.

In your case, I'd suggest talking about the food and beverage industry (and be SURE to explain WHY this is an area you want to be in) - not just international marketing.

For instance: I want to be a brand manager with a CPG firm focused on the low-caloire food and beverage industry, or with ad agency in the same space. I want to do this because of.........

Which brings me to my last and equally boring point: if you have more than one goal, make sure they are reasonably related - i.e. brand manager at a CPG firm, or an advertising manager at an ad agency. Don't say "either an investment banker" or "management consultant" - for these are two entirely different paths, and anyway, only one of them is a good idea anyhow.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have a related query, one of my essay questions is:

"Discuss challenges & opportunities currently facing the industry/functional area in which you plan to work after MBA . As a change agent and visionary leader, how would you approach these issues to have a positive impact on business and society?"

Post MBA I really want to work in Strategy consultancy at a higher level across industries and not limited to a particular industry. In that case do i need to pinpoint a particular industry for approaching this essay.

Another questions is how will overcoming challenges at work result in an impact on the society?

Any advice/suggestions will be appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for all your suggestions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
imjimmy wrote:

"Discuss challenges & opportunities currently facing the industry/functional area in which you plan to work after MBA . As a change agent and visionary leader, how would you approach these issues to have a positive impact on business and society?"

Post MBA I really want to work in Strategy consultancy at a higher level across industries and not limited to a particular industry. In that case do i need to pinpoint a particular industry for approaching this essay.

Another questions is how will overcoming challenges at work result in an impact on the society?

Who asks this? Thats a horrifically difficult question for someone who isn't already in that field. They are looking to see that you've done some research, but jeez, common.

Forget the society part as an explicit area, rather think of it as implicit. You dont' need to pinpoint an industry in terms of "Manufacturing" etc (the industry in question is consulting).

The challenges facing the strategy consulting arena are especially hard to discuss - precisely because it isn't focused in one particular area. I can think of a few things to say, but I have to admit thats a heck of a challenge.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Rhyme. I agree that's a hard question. That's why i asked.
The guilty school is Owen Vanderbilt. Would you believe it..!

Infact they have only 2 essays.
1) Career goals essay 2) This essay (challenges in the industry)..

No essay for Contributing back to the community, no essay on Leadership skills, nothing on team work and absolutely nothing on achievements/challenges and personal background.

I have no idea as to how one might go about painting a complete picture of himself for the adcom in these 2 essays alone( word limit for each =500 words!)..

I guess Strategy consulting career goal makes the essay even harder especially for someone who wants a career change to this field.

Frankly, i am having 2nd thoughts about applying to this school.
rhyme wrote:
imjimmy wrote:

Who asks this? Thats a horrifically difficult question for someone who isn't already in that field. They are looking to see that you've done some research, but jeez, common.

Forget the society part as an explicit area, rather think of it as implicit. You dont' need to pinpoint an industry in terms of "Manufacturing" etc (the industry in question is consulting).

The challenges facing the strategy consulting arena are especially hard to discuss - precisely because it isn't focused in one particular area. I can think of a few things to say, but I have to admit thats a heck of a challenge.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]