Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
School Moderator - WHU Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Schools: HEC MiM "24
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Need recommendations for Verbal Full Length Tests (Exam in 3 weeks) [#permalink]
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
Why not use the other five official mocks?

I will be using the other 5 mocks over the course of the next 3 weeks. I was looking for more sources though. Also, of 5 mocks, only 2 will be a reasonable representation, since the other 3 draw questions from the same bucket - This may lead to repeat questions.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Re: Need recommendations for Verbal Full Length Tests (Exam in 3 weeks) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MrFawkes wrote:
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:

I will be using the other 5 mocks over the course of the next 3 weeks. I was looking for more sources though. Also, of 5 mocks, only 2 will be a reasonable representation, since the other 3 draw questions from the same bucket - This may lead to repeat questions.

The program will make sure not to use repeat questions on the first go-through, though.

Taking more than 5 practice tests in three weeks is probably not advisable. It seems like you're going for a 'quantity of questions done' study strategy, instead of a 'deeply study and analyze the questions you do' strategy. The latter is far, far more valuable. Based on the material you say you've covered, it's likely you've done more GMAT verbal questions than I have. I guarantee you by now you've been exposed to everything you could possibly need to get a 40+ on the verbal. Make sure to deeply study problems for concrete takeaways.

I would use the official mocks and the official guide, and study each question thoroughly and figure out, for the ones you miss or struggle on, why you missed them or struggled on them and what you need to change to improve. It's going to be habits/mechanics/strategy. It's probably not going to be conceptual.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
MrFawkes wrote:
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:

The program will make sure not to use repeat questions on the first go-through, though.

Taking more than 5 practice tests in three weeks is probably not advisable. It seems like you're going for a 'quantity of questions done' study strategy, instead of a 'deeply study and analyze the questions you do' strategy. The latter is far, far more valuable. Based on the material you say you've covered, it's likely you've done more GMAT verbal questions than I have. I guarantee you by now you've been exposed to everything you could possibly need to get a 40+ on the verbal. Make sure to deeply study problems for concrete takeaways.

I would use the official mocks and the official guide, and study each question thoroughly and figure out, for the ones you miss or struggle on, why you missed them or struggled on them and what you need to change to improve. It's going to be habits/mechanics/strategy. It's probably not going to be conceptual.

Thank you ReedArnoldMPREP!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MrFawkes,

If you are looking to score at a particularly high level on the Official GMAT, then you will have to be rigorous about how you take the ENTIRE CAT/mock (and not just take the Verbal section of any particular Exam).

In addition, a CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. Furthermore, the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. Going forward, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week. Since your Official Test Date is now less than 3 weeks away, you shouldn't plan on taking more than about 3 CATs in that time.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MrFawkes,

If you are looking to score at a particularly high level on the Official GMAT, then you will have to be rigorous about how you take the ENTIRE CAT/mock (and not just take the Verbal section of any particular Exam).

In addition, a CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. Furthermore, the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. Going forward, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week. Since your Official Test Date is now less than 3 weeks away, you shouldn't plan on taking more than about 3 CATs in that time.

Rich

Thank you EMPOWERgmatRichC! I think I’m going to spend the next few weeks going through my mistakes, solving sectional practice tests (on my areas of development) and probably give one CAT per week.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MrFawkes,

Once you've taken your next FULL-LENGTH CAT, you should post back here and we can discuss the results.

1) What is your overall goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Need recommendations for Verbal Full Length Tests (Exam in 3 weeks) [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MrFawkes,

Once you've taken your next FULL-LENGTH CAT, you should post back here and we can discuss the results.

2) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Yes! My overall goal score is 730+ (Q49 V41). I am planning to apply to at least 1 school in Round 1 and the rest in Round 2. I have not narrowed down on schools yet.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MrFawkes,

Rich

Hello EMPOWERgmatRichC. I gave an Official Mock today (Mock Test 2 in Exam Pack 1&2). Scored a 740 (Q48, V44). Not too happy with my Quant score. I’m aiming for a Q49+.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MrFawkes,

This is a fantastic overall result - and with a Q48/V44 you don't have any big 'weak spots' (as far as content knowledge is concerned). Have you had a chance to review this performance in more detail (and more to the point, how many questions did you get wrong in each section that you could have gotten correct - if you had just approached the question a bit differently?)?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Need recommendations for Verbal Full Length Tests (Exam in 3 weeks) [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MrFawkes,

This is a fantastic overall result - and with a Q48/V44 you don't have any big 'weak spots' (as far as content knowledge is concerned). Have you had a chance to review this performance in more detail (and more to the point, how many questions did you get wrong in each section that you could have gotten correct - if you had just approached the question a bit differently?)?

Rich

Hello! Yes, I did, and here’s the breakup:

Verbal:

Total - 5 mistakes (I am yet to go through the mistakes in detail, but a section-wise breakup is here)

RC - 1
CR - 2
SC - 2

Quant: 9 mistakes

- Coordinate Geometry - 1

- Equations - 1 (Fell for the trap - It was a DS question. Both statements together also did not provide the answer, since both statements still formed two unknowns, and the question was worded in such a way, that it tricked you into thinking there was one unknown, one known and relative values of both were given. I could have avoided this by actually solving just one step further. But to save time, I thought this was an easy one and moved on fast)

- Exponents / Roots - 1 (Forgot to apply a very basic, but important rule)

- Word Problems - 1 (Calculation Error)

- Combinations - 1 (On first read, I found this difficult to decipher, so lost time here. Didn’t break it down into the total number of possibilities before solving)

- Functions - 1 (Calculation Error)

- Numbers (GCD): Read the question incorrectly due to which, I made a mistake in interpretation

- Must be true: I got the right answer on this one, but because of lack of concentration, I marked the wrong answer. (I realised I made this error as soon as I clicked on the submit button)

- Prime factors (Calculation Error)

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MrFawkes,

From your analysis here, it certainly sounds as though you could have scored even higher on this CAT. I've sent you a PM with some additional notes on this issue.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22046 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
MrFawkes wrote:
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:

Are you looking for practice tests or just more practice verbal questions?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
MrFawkes wrote:
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:

Are you looking for practice tests or just more practice verbal questions?

Hello ScottTargetTestPrep! Honestly, anything would do. I’m almost nearing the end of my material and while I go through my mistakes on the questions I’ve already solved, in the buildup to the exam, I want to practice (sectionals / full length tests) on a regular basis to just keep-in-touch on the timing aspect.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22046 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
MrFawkes wrote:

Hello ScottTargetTestPrep! Honestly, anything would do. I’m almost nearing the end of my material and while I go through my mistakes on the questions I’ve already solved, in the buildup to the exam, I want to practice (sectionals / full length tests) on a regular basis to just keep-in-touch on the timing aspect.

Have you checked out other prep courses?
GMAT Club Bot