Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [6]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
T700ISB wrote:
Is this really a Gmat Prep question?

I am still not convinced about why C is not the answer.

Close call between C and E.

What exactly does "as seen in the rings" modify?- Sunspot cycles or rate at which trees grow?

In E isn't it modifying the "rate" at which trees grow, which is nonsensical IMO. Ugh I'm indeed confused !

Your query 1:
The following post explains why C is incorrect:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/on-earth-amo ... l#p1808827

Your query 2:
The part "as seen in the rings" modifies neither "sunspot cycles" nor "rate at which trees grow" - it is a prepositional phrase referring to the entire previous clause (recollect the use of comma + present participle - comma +prepositional phrases can also be used in the same way, i.e., to refer to an entire previous clause.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 400
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V33
Send PM
Re: On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
The important thing here is to note what the pronoun ‘their’ in the un-underlined part points to. Unfortunately, in C it refers to the sunspot cycles by virtue of proximity, while it should refer to the trees, which is what E does and thus outdoes C.

daagh

"is believed" in E does not cause SVA error?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
(E) Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow

Akshay

Why not?

The actual sentence is --- The rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles on earth.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi prgmatbiz, as daagh sir has suggested, this sentence is (what's called) an inverted sentence, wherein the verb (is) comes before the subject (rate), thereby creating bit of a confusion.

Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses inverted sentences. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Inverted Sentences_v5.pdf [15.13 KiB]
Downloaded 109 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,

I had eliminated E thinking "Among the surest things" should be accompanied with 'are' and not 'is' in E. Is this not similar to the subject verb agreement with "One of the most important thing" etc.? Please let me know the grammar rules here.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NydhruvKashyap wrote:
I had eliminated E thinking "Among the surest things" should be accompanied with 'are' and not 'is' in E. Is this not similar to the subject verb agreement with "One of the most important thing" etc.? Please let me know the grammar rules here.

Hi NydhruvKashyap, option E is (what's called) an inverted sentence.

Option E reads:

Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow.

The normal non-inverted sentence is:

The rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles.

Now it is very clear that the rate is the singular subject, and hence, requires a singular verb is.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses inverted sentences, their application and examples. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The important thing here is to note what the pronoun ‘their’ in the un-underlined part points to. Unfortunately, in C it refers to the sunspot cycles by virtue of proximity, while it should refer to the trees, which is what E does and thus outdoes C.

Hi, I don’t agree with the explanation provided above.
Pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute crime on the GMAT.

in “their trunks”, “their” can ONLY refer to trees. There is no way it can refer to anything else.

Can you please provide another reason for eliminating (C)?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
D4kshGargas wrote:
Can you please provide another reason for eliminating (C)?

Hi D4kshGargas, there is a modifier issue in C:

What is seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks?
Most logical answer: rate at which trees grow

Now, let's look at C:

the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

Notice how C changes the meaning by stating: surest indications of sunspot cycles, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks

So, C seems to nonsensically suggest that surest indications of sunspot cycles are seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
(A) On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
This sentence gives us the meaning as the rates are grown by the trees

(B) On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
it has too many commas which is unecessary and doesn't make much sense

(C) On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
This feels as though the only indication of identifying sunspot cycles

(D) Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate
this has got a ambigious usage of words

(E) Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow
THis nails the argument hence IMO E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
johnycute wrote:
On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

(A) On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
(B) On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
(C) On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
(D) Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate

Hi! had a doubt that whether the placement of sunspot cycles at the end of the underlined portion can be a reason to eliminate it? What is "as seen in the ring ---" modifying??is it acting as a noun modifier or adverbial ? IanStewart GMATNinja
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
Hi! had a doubt that whether the placement of sunspot cycles at the end of the underlined portion can be a reason to eliminate it?

Yes, answer C for example seems to suggest that "the rings visible..." are in the sunspot cycles, when the sentence means to say they're in the trees. But you don't even need to consider that to rule out A, B and C. In the first three answer choices, "On Earth" describes where tree growth is believed to be an indication of sunspot cycles. Well of course that's believed "on Earth"; where else could it be believed? On Mars? You could cut the phrase "On earth" from A, B or C without changing the meaning of the sentence at all, so the phrase is superfluous. Answers D and E are different; in those choices, the phrase "on earth" describes where the "indications" are found. And that makes sense, because there will also be indications of sunspot cycles found in places other than Earth, for example on the sun itself.

I only skimmed the most recent posts, which didn't mention this issue, but maybe it was discussed earlier.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
johnycute wrote:
On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

Look at the non underline part of the sentence (at the end). their trunks. Only one object mentioned in the sentence has / have trunks and that object is plural (their). Obviously only one object i.e. Trees should be as near to "their trunks".

Option E does exactly same.

Ans : E

Kudos plz... :please:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
johnycute wrote:

Key is to pay attention to the non-underlined portion.
"as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks" must modify "the rate at which trees grow" vs. "sunspot cycles." "Their" indicates that we need "trees" vs. "tree." Eliminate (C) and (D)

"are believed to be" = wrong

"are" = wrong

Best option. Among X is Y, as seen...

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
johnycute wrote:

By definite grammer rules, I quickly eliminated Options A, B and D. Now coming to options C and E. I think the major issue of meaning. What C says is that ''the rate of tree growth'' is ''among the surest indications''. One cannot be equal to many. One can only be ''one among the many''. I cannot equate ''rate of tree growth'' with ''among''. It has to be one among them. Option C is equating one with many, which is incorrect.

Thus, Option C without any other definite meaning or grammar issues wins.

Thank You
Vighnesh
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:
johnycute wrote:

By definite grammer rules, I quickly eliminated Options A, B and D. Now coming to options C and E. I think the major issue of meaning. What C says is that ''the rate of tree growth'' is ''among the surest indications''. One cannot be equal to many. One can only be ''one among the many''. I cannot equate ''rate of tree growth'' with ''among''. It has to be one among them. Option C is equating one with many, which is incorrect.

Thus, Option C without any other definite meaning or grammar issues wins.

Thank You
Vighnesh

Hello VIGHNESHKAMATH,

We hope this finds you well.

To provide some clarity, here, the use of "among" is not incorrect in Option C, as it refers to the plural noun "indications", conveying that the rate at which trees grow is one of the many indications of sunspot cycles.

The error in Option C is that the phrase "as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks" modifies "the surest indications of sunspot cycles", illogically implying that all of the surest indications of sunspot cycles are seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of the tree trunks.

Option E correctly modifies "the rate at which trees grow" with "as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks", conveying the intended meaning - that the rate of tree growth is seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of the tree trunks.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed [#permalink]
I was confused between C and E. I omitted E because because of the presence of the prepositional phrase 'Earth of sunspot cycle' Isn't this prepositional phrase modifying earth instead of indication?

GMATNinja sir can you please help me here.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jayantalawadhi wrote:
I was confused between C and E. I omitted E because because of the presence of the prepositional phrase 'Earth of sunspot cycle' Isn't this prepositional phrase modifying earth instead of indication?

GMATNinja sir can you please help me here.

Hello Jayantalawadhi,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, here "on Earth" and "of sunspot cycles" are both prepositional phrases that act upon the noun "indications".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts