Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [2]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with [#permalink]
GMATNinja genesis daagh
Hey Experts,
Why is option E wrong?
The completion in 1925 of the holland tunnel linked M and NJ's Highways, permitting...., was hailed.....
here linked M and NJ's,
linked here acts as a verb or as a participle?
the comma -ing modifier is correctly modifying the completion which permitted 2000 cars.
Aren't we talking that since it has permitted 2000 cars to pass through tunnel per hour, it was hailed as Master piece?
in the Correct Answer,
the completion linking the M and NJ's Highways and permitting 2000 cars?
since it has linked M and NJ's highways, it was able to permit 2000 cars per hours right??

I'm unable to understand this question, please Help me understand this issue here.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

Send PM
Re: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
KSN27 wrote:
GMATNinja genesis daagh
Hey Experts,
Why is option E wrong?
The completion in 1925 of the holland tunnel linked M and NJ's Highways, permitting...., was hailed.....
here linked M and NJ's,
linked here acts as a verb or as a participle?
the comma -ing modifier is correctly modifying the completion which permitted 2000 cars.
Aren't we talking that since it has permitted 2000 cars to pass through tunnel per hour, it was hailed as Master piece?
in the Correct Answer,
the completion linking the M and NJ's Highways and permitting 2000 cars?
since it has linked M and NJ's highways, it was able to permit 2000 cars per hours right??

I'm unable to understand this question, please Help me understand this issue here.

It might be helpful to take a look at (E) without the "-ing" modifying phrase:

Quote:
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece

You can probably see there's something fishy here without using any fancy grammar terminology.

Notice that the completion of the tunnel yielded two results: the tunnel linked the highways and it was hailed as a masterpiece. When the same subject is paired with more than one verb, those verbs must be linked with a conjunction, such as "and." You can write, "Tim tripped and fell," but "Tim tripped fell," is clearly a problem.

So this is what's wrong with (E): it has two verbs -- "linked" and "was" -- but no conjunction.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Hello experts,
I have a question regarding answer choice A , first of all I eliminated it because we don't have an independent clause, however I'm interested regarding the usage of "which", specifically I would like someone to verify whether my analysis is correct, in A , "which" could modify "highways" , "Manhattan" , "the completion" , "the Holland Tunnel", I'm curious whether which could potentially modify all the above(not simultaneously of course), regarding "the completion" and "the Holland Tunnel", I think it is possible because "linking...highways" is a non-restrictive modifier so "which" could modify those nouns (completion, holland tunnel) remotely.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
UNSTOPPABLE12
If your point is that it's unclear what "which" is modifying, then you are certainly right. Whether it could reasonably modify any one of the nouns you list is another story. One could just as easily say that it clearly modifies none of them, hence our problem with A. Certainly the author's intent is to modify "completion," as we see in C. We could argue that "which" ought to refer all the way back to "completion," but that's not something the GMAT generally lets us do. We could apply "which" to "highways" since that's what it's adjacent to, but this doesn't make much sense. New Jersey's highways weren't what allowed cars to pass through tubes, and Manhattan *certainly* wasn't. I'd strike that from any list--the word is clearly just part of a modifier. We could try to modify "Holland Tunnel," since that at least makes some sense--we just have to jump over the other awkward modifier. Either way, we're saying roughly the same thing--the completion of the tunnel allowed a whole lot of people to drive through the tunnel. However, we're still left with a mess of modifiers, and that's not even mentioning the fact that A rolls our main verb into the modifier (which permitted and was hailed), leaving us with a sentence fragment. Our core is just the subject: "The completion."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

(A)Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and
The placement of the pronoun “which” next to highways would end up referring to highways. Eliminate

(B) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, it
The use of the pronoun “it” is unnecessary.

(C) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,
Correct. Linking and permitting are modifiers and are parallel.

(D) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and
“which” modifies highways and distorts the meaning of the sentence. Eliminate

(E) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

Removing the modifiers, the sentence would read
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways <modifier> was hailed as the decade’s engineering masterpiece.
Incorrect.

Vishnupriya
CrackVerbal Prep Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
egmat

I know option C is the best option. But is it correct to regard completion as the biggest project?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
ishikasoni111 wrote:
egmat

I know option C is the best option. But is it correct to regard completion as the biggest project?

Hello ishikasoni111,

Thank you for the question. :-)

The correct answer says that the completion of this tunnel was lauded as the decade's $48 million engineering masterpiece. The word masterpiece has been used in this sentence to mean "triumph". Hence, the meaning presented by the correct answer choice is absolutely logical.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thnaks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Aren't all answer choices wrong? I sat on it for 5 minutes before giving in to the explanations.
Although the answer is C and it is a VR question, I have to argue that none of the choices is good.
In C, the completion of the structure is being hailed as the masterpiece (and not the structure itself), a thought that is nonsensical IMO.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

Send PM
Expert Reply
RaevMayfly wrote:
Aren't all answer choices wrong? I sat on it for 5 minutes before giving in to the explanations.
Although the answer is C and it is a VR question, I have to argue that none of the choices is good.
In C, the completion of the structure is being hailed as the masterpiece (and not the structure itself), a thought that is nonsensical IMO.

I don't think it's that far-fetched to refer to the completion of a tunnel as an engineering masterpiece -- after all, completing the tunnel was a feat of engineering.

More importantly, we're stuck with it in all five choices, as you mentioned. So clearly the GMAT didn't want us to worry about this!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
egmat

The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

Hi ,

what role is played by , +verb-ing modifier here ?

Isnt , + verb-ing modifier always act as an action -modifier .

But in the sentence - The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel there is no verb.

Regards.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
PriyamRathor wrote:
Isnt , + verb-ing modifier always act as an action -modifier .

Not really Priyam. For example:

Beggars of the city, living below the poverty line, need to be uplifted.

Notice that the present participial phrase "living below...." correctly modifies "beggars".

Quote:
But in the sentence - The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel there is no verb.

Wondering if you might be getting confused with the following structure:

Clause, present participial phrase.

In the above structure, the present participial phrase indeed modifies the action/verb of the preceding clause.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Present participial phrases, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
GMATNinja
Why "linked" cannot be a modifier in E?
Why it can't modify Tunnel? How to check whether it's a modifier or verb in this case?
(E) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

Thanks for your time!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
GMATNinja
Why "linked" cannot be a modifier in E?
Why it can't modify Tunnel? How to check whether it's a modifier or verb in this case?

Thanks for your time!

Hello Sneha2021,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "linked" cannot be a modifier in Option E because if it was a modifier, there would be no active verb to act upon the subject "The completion".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
In the correct answer C, is the construction " The completion ......was hailed as ..... engineering masterpiece " correct?
To me, the completion of the tunnel to be hailed as engineering masterpiece seems wrong. Please clarify.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos