Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [20]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [10]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: finance
Schools:INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
 Q48  V31
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
Re: Faced with the problems of insufficient evidence, of conflicting evide [#permalink]
1 - B (changed from A after reading tirupatibalaj's answers)
2 - A (disagree with E because of 'primitive because it ignores the research and conclusions of psychologists in favor of notions about human cognition held by lawyers' at the end of the text)
3 - E (some hints are mentioned in 2nd and 3rd paragraphs)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2054 [1]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Faced with the problems of insufficient evidence, of conflicting evide [#permalink]
Kudos
4 mins 52 secs and got 2 out of 3. Got the second one wrong but a little bit of pondering reveals why Q2 is A. I will tackle that Q first.

Que6 : “It can be inferred from the passage that the author would be most likely to agree with which of the following generalizations about lawyers?”
(A) They have a less sophisticated understanding of human cognition than do psychologists. Correct Ans Clearly mentioned in the last sentence of the passage "judges are primitive because they give more favour to lawyers understanding of inferential mistakes vs. that of psychologists - THIS IMPLIES PSYCHOLOGISTS HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING"
(B) They often present complex or voluminous information merely in order to confuse a jury. TRAP - this cannot be inferred even if this could be employed by the lawyers to try and fool the jury
(C) They are no better at making logical inferences from the testimony at a trial than are most judges. Not mentioned
(D) They have worked to help judges minimize jury inferential error. Not mentioned
(E) They are unrealistic about the ability of jurors to ascertain the truth. Non sensical

Hence Option A is best for Q6.

Q1: The whole passage is about inferential errors : why and how they are committed and how the judges are not doing enough to resolve the issue. Hence a clear A.

Q7: Que7. “The author would be most likely to agree with which one of the following generalizations about a jury’s decisionmaking process?”
(A) The more evidence a jury has, the more likely it is that the jury will reach a reliable verdict. The opposite is mentioned in the passage, sometimes jury will get confused with more evidence and make wrong inferences
(B) Juries usually overestimate the value of visual evidence such as photographs. TRAP option as this is not true about any photograph - the jury responds massively to graphic photos of wounds etc.
(C) Jurors have preconceptions about the behavior of defendants that prevent them from making an objective analysis of the evidence in a criminal trial. Too extreme - if the word "MAY have or can have"were used then this could be a likely correct answer.
(D) Most of the jurors who make inferential errors during a trial do so because they are unaccustomed to having to make difficult decisions based on inferences. Not true at all! In fact they have spent entire life making decisions as per passage
(E) The manner in which evidence is presented to a jury may influence the jury either to overestimate or to underestimate the value of that evidence. True - as inferential errors result due to this fact itself.

Best,
Gladi
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Faced with the problems of insufficient evidence, of conflicting evide [#permalink]
Kudos
akansal211 wrote:
In Q7 why is B wrong when the passage directly states that generalization about jurors?

Hi akansal211,
The passage states-"Also, a jury may give more probative weight than objective analysis would allow to vivid photographic evidence depicting a shooting victim’s wounds"
7. (B) Juries usually overestimate the value of visual evidence such as photographs.- incorrect, there are two issues with B
i. the passage talks about jury may. So we can't infer that it happens usually
ii. the passage talks about vivid photographic evidence and not just any photographs

Hope this helps! :)
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Faced with the problems of insufficient evidence, of conflicting evide [#permalink]
Expert Reply
manass wrote:
Please explain q6

Explanation

6. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would be most likely to agree with which of the following generalizations about lawyers?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Consistent with the overall idea that those involved in the judicial process could benefit from the insights of cognitive psychologists.

(B) is too extreme; the passage does say that “complex and voluminous” evidence is often confusing for juries, but it doesn’t accuse lawyers of attempting to confuse juries.

(C) Outside the scope—the inferential abilities of judges and lawyers are never compared.

(D) is also outside the scope. The passage suggests no conscientious pursuit of the truth on the part of lawyers. (Ahem.)

(E) distorts Para 1; the author says that lawyers call the inferential process “fact-finding,” but this is far short of saying that they are unrealistic about the abilities of juries.

Answer: A

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi SajjadAhmad,

Can you please post the explanation for question 4? I am confused between C and D.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
DiyaDutta wrote:
Hi SajjadAhmad,

Can you please post the explanation for question 4? I am confused between C and D.

Official Explanation

4. Which one of the following best describes the author’s attitude toward the majority of judges today?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Captures both the tone and thrust of para 4. Judges have been guilty of having only a “limited and primitive concept of jury error” and failing to acknowledge psychologists’ research into the problem.

(A) has the wrong verb—LSAT authors are rarely if ever going to sound “apprehensive.” We can’t recall a single instance.

(B) distorts the passage; it’s the juries, not the judges, who are making unwarranted conclusions.

(D) is also a distortion. There’s nothing in para 4 that actually suggests opposition from judges, nor, as we noted in Q.3(B), is the passage advocating “significant changes in trial procedure.”

(E) should scream “wrong paragraph.” Para 2 mentions excessively complex evidence, but it doesn’t seem to be the judges’ fault.

Answer: C

Hope it helps
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
SajjadAhmad please help me understand Q.4

The passage says "Nonetheless, most judges now employ only a limited and primitive concept of jury inferential error: limited because it fails to recognize the potential for errors outside certain traditional situations, primitive because it ignores"

Here singular pronoun "it" cannot stand for the plural noun "judges" Thus I assumed "it" refers to the jury

Moreover, I don't understand how the tone of para 4 is "judges have been guilty of..."

I don't think "Nonetheless" is sufficient to give this tone of "guilty"
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:

The passage says "Nonetheless, most judges now employ only a limited and primitive concept of jury inferential error: limited because it fails to recognize the potential for errors outside certain traditional situations, primitive because it ignores"

Here singular pronoun "it" cannot stand for the plural noun "judges" Thus I assumed "it" refers to the jury

Moreover, I don't understand how the tone of para 4 is "judges have been guilty of..."

Probably your question is incomplete, or maybe complicated enough for me to understand. What do you want in question number 4? any answer option or anything else?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

Probably your question is incomplete, or maybe complicated enough for me to understand. What do you want in question number 4? any answer option or anything else?

When we see the last few sentences if para 4 "Judges have been guilty of having only a “limited and primitive concept of jury error” and failing to acknowledge psychologists’ research into the problem."

We see that it was the jury who failed to recognize the potential errors ...and it was the jury who ignored the research...

But according to the official answer it was the judges who did so

How is this possible?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

When we see the last few sentences if para 4 "Judges have been guilty of having only a “limited and primitive concept of jury error” and failing to acknowledge psychologists’ research into the problem."

We see that it was the jury who failed to recognize the potential errors ...and it was the jury who ignored the research...

But according to the official answer it was the judges who did so

How is this possible?

Read the last 8 Lines of the last para

In fact, one of a presiding judge’s duties is to minimize jury inferential error through explanation and clarification. Nonetheless, most judges now employ only a limited and primitive concept of jury inferential error: limited because it fails to recognize the potential for errors outside certain traditional situations, primitive because it ignores the research and conclusions of psychologists in favor of notions about human cognition held by lawyers.

Now read answer option C

Apart from this you can read explanation in link below

https://gmatclub.com/forum/faced-with-t ... l#p2385711

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
Send PM
SajjadAhmad
How much time is ideal for completing such a passage?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
41396302717 wrote:
SajjadAhmad
How much time is ideal for completing such a passage?

15-16 minutes is an ideal time for a passage like this.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
SajjadAhmad
Why option C of question 1 is incorrect?

Ill be glad if you could explain.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
deveshj21 wrote:
SajjadAhmad

Hi deveshj21,

Through out the passage, author discusses the inferential errors and how they are committed. He also mentions how the jury normally rely on cognitive tools, that result in such inferences that cause distortion of truth rather than its revelation. This idea can be inferred from option A. Option C, though correct, it not the main idea, as it is just a subset of the main concern of the passage. Why and how jurors make errors in judgment is the main intent of the passage.

Let me know if this helps.
Thanks.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
deveshj21 wrote:
SajjadAhmad

(C) is too specific and focuses on a detail of one particular cause of jury error mentioned in Paragraph 3. That is why it is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
primitive because it ignores the research and conclusions of psychologists in favor of notions about human cognition held by lawyers. I did not understand this sentence . Can anyone explain what does it mean???
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
akt715 wrote:
primitive because it ignores the research and conclusions of psychologists in favor of notions about human cognition held by lawyers. I did not understand this sentence . Can anyone explain what does it mean???

The paragraph from which this text belongs:

The fact that juries can commit inferential errors that jeopardize the accuracy of the fact-finding process is not unknown to the courts. In fact, one of a presiding judge’s duties is to minimize jury inferential error through explanation and clarification. Nonetheless, most judges now employ only a limited and primitive concept of jury inferential error: limited because it fails to recognize the potential for errors outside certain traditional situations, primitive because it ignores the research and conclusions of psychologists in favor of notions about human cognition held by lawyers.

Here primitive mean is prehistoric/basic (employing a jury to avoid inferential error, a jury keeping in mind the only prehistoric inferential errors fails to recognize the potential for errors outside certain traditional situations).
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts