Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: ANYBODY IN AT HBS? [#permalink]
Kudos
I'm in. The MBA gods have smiled upon me today.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
brown wrote:

Congrats. Must feel good.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Looking distinctly GSB for you then rhyme? Or are you waiting on the cornflake school?

Sounds like you are enamoured with Kellogg...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Dinged at wharton, waitlisted at kellogg... I was not feeling too good about things. It was a nice turn around.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
denied.

Oh man......it's a loss for HBS ....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Sorry to hear that cpetro and rhyme...

Now I'm really worried about my chances in R2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
brown wrote:

What an achievement dude!!!! Congrats!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
brown wrote:
Dinged at wharton, waitlisted at kellogg... I was not feeling too good about things. It was a nice turn around.

Congrats Brown! What an achievement! What was ur profile, if you do not mind sharing?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Fantastic Achievement !

brown wrote:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
brown wrote:

Congrats brown!! Quite an achievement. Do share your success story with us.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks!

24 years old, male, 3 years as software engineer. 750 gmat, 3.72 gpa from a state school. strong work performance and good extra curriculars. My "hook" is that I'm from a small farm in the middle of rural USA.

I don't really know what else to say.... the only real advice is to really devote yourself. I spent more time than I'd like to admit studying for the GMAT and writing essays. I spent hours and hours and hours on my essays. I had friends review and review and review them. Only advice is to stick with it.

One thing that I did find really helpful was talking to b-school graduates and just listening to their experiences. I really had to step out of my comfort zone to meet with random people who I've never met. In the end, all of them were extremely friendly and helpful though. They all went through the same process when they applied, so they know how torturous it can be.

Best of luck to everyone else! I absolutely understand how stressful the process can be. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help. I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but I'm happy to share.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Wow, that is pretty inspiring! :-D

Please don't take this in the wrong way, but your success with a profile that isn't insanely out there (such as starting up 3 businesses while trekking to Antartica using your laptop to finalize multi-million dollar deals in the process) just goes to show that a lot of hard work can pay off big time.

Have fun at HBS!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
That's awesome. I'd say that you're exactly the type that HBS is looking for. In fact, I would bet that Kellogg (and possibly Wharton) realized just that and didn't admit you for yield management reasons.

Congratulations!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
I am not an expert:

But I guess they look for people who do whatever they do well. One doesnt have to climb everest or be in antartica to demonstrate leadership. Effective leadership can be demonstrated through everday experiences!

Also, I think they look for people who have unique background AND have leadership potential. A farmer in Papua New Genea might have unique background and high GMAT, but that does not mean that he automatically has managerial/leadership potential.

Thus using logical representation:

Admit = GMAT_above_certain_threshold (GMAT Score)
AND Will_be_able_to_handle_academic_Rigour(GMAT Score, GPA) AND Leadership_Potential(Essays, Resume, Recommendations, Interview) AND Will_bring_Unique_Perspective(Essays, Resume, Recommendations)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congratulations !

To Pelihu:

"That's awesome. I'd say that you're exactly the type that HBS is looking for. In fact, I would bet that Kellogg (and possibly Wharton) realized just that and didn't admit you for yield management reasons."

Can you please elaborate on the above? Do you have any insights on what HBS/Wharton/Stanford are looking for?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
neo276 wrote:
Congratulations !

To Pelihu:

"That's awesome. I'd say that you're exactly the type that HBS is looking for. In fact, I would bet that Kellogg (and possibly Wharton) realized just that and didn't admit you for yield management reasons."

Can you please elaborate on the above? Do you have any insights on what HBS/Wharton/Stanford are looking for?

Here's a stat. Average months of work experience:
Wharton 71 (most of any school in the top 30)
Harvard 54 (2nd least of any school in the top 30)
Stanford 48 (least of any school in the top 30)

It have been widely observed that Harvard and Stanford really favor younger applicants, while Wharton still values more experience. If we apply a normal curve to these numbers, I would guess that 80% of Wharton's students have 4-8 years of experience. At Stanford, the middle range is probably 3-5. So in terms of experience, Brown (the poster in this thread) fits great with Harvard & Stanford, but actually comes up a bit short for Wharton.

Obviously, his stats are stellar for any school, which leads me to another point. Harvard has a yield of 90%, Stanford has a yield of 80%. Wharton's yield is a little lower, and Kellogg's is a lot lower. This means that Harvard and Stanford admit who they want, and can pretty much expect their admits to matriculate (other than the 100 or so that are admitted to both Harvard and Stanford of course). Kellogg for sure knows this. They are wary that admitting hyper-qualified folks will damage their yield even further (currently just 56%); so instead they waitlist. If the candidate remains interested in 2 months, Kellogg can admit them at that time. If the candidate is admitted to H/W/S, many will, as a courtesy, inform schools where they still have pending decisions and withdraw their apps. Kellogg then doesn't have to admit this person that won't show up anyways.

Also, stellar stats and scores can be enough to get into Wharton (solid work experience too). For Harvard and Stanford, you need a boost from extracurriculars. Brown didn't identify his, but said that they were good. Combined with the other things, he looks perfect for Harvard. Given Wharton's record, they probably would have preferred another year of experience. I'm just observing based on known stats. As mentioned before, if Kellogg gets this candidate, they are probably thinking "we're the back-up school"; which they hate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
neo276 wrote:
Congratulations !

To Pelihu:

Here's a stat. Average months of work experience:
Wharton 71 (most of any school in the top 30)
Harvard 54 (2nd least of any school in the top 30)
Stanford 48 (least of any school in the top 30)

It have been widely observed that Harvard and Stanford really favor younger applicants, while Wharton still values more experience. If we apply a normal curve to these numbers, I would guess that 80% of Wharton's students have 4-8 years of experience. At Stanford, the middle range is probably 3-5. So in terms of experience, Brown (the poster in this thread) fits great with Harvard & Stanford, but actually comes up a bit short for Wharton.

Obviously, his stats are stellar for any school, which leads me to another point. Harvard has a yield of 90%, Stanford has a yield of 80%. Wharton's yield is a little lower, and Kellogg's is a lot lower. This means that Harvard and Stanford admit who they want, and can pretty much expect their admits to matriculate (other than the 100 or so that are admitted to both Harvard and Stanford of course). Kellogg for sure knows this. They are wary that admitting hyper-qualified folks will damage their yield even further (currently just 56%); so instead they waitlist. If the candidate remains interested in 2 months, Kellogg can admit them at that time. If the candidate is admitted to H/W/S, many will, as a courtesy, inform schools where they still have pending decisions and withdraw their apps. Kellogg then doesn't have to admit this person that won't show up anyways.

Also, stellar stats and scores can be enough to get into Wharton (solid work experience too). For Harvard and Stanford, you need a boost from extracurriculars. Brown didn't identify his, but said that they were good. Combined with the other things, he looks perfect for Harvard. Given Wharton's record, they probably would have preferred another year of experience. I'm just observing based on known stats. As mentioned before, if Kellogg gets this candidate, they are probably thinking "we're the back-up school"; which they hate.

great analysis and i totally agree....
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts