Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [14]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Re: Though swamp-like, Florida's Everglades are actually a 60-mile-wide ri [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
HKD1710, Thanks for uploading the questions. Please underline only the portion, which is different in different options. :) I have modified your question accordingly.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
Send PM
Re: Though swamp-like, Florida's Everglades are actually a 60-mile-wide ri [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
HKD1710, Thanks for uploading the questions. Please underline only the portion, which is different in different options. :) I have modified your question accordingly.

Original Question is a fully underlined sentence. But new version looks decent and even better. Thank you for editing it:)
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
HKD1710 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Original Question is a fully underlined sentence. But new version looks decent and even better. Thank you for editing it:)

Thank you for your appreciation. :) ...... just one point here: The underlined portion must have a split at the beginning and at the end, i.e., at least one of the answer choices must be different in some way from the others at the beginning of the under-lined portion and at the end. Therefore if a full sentence is underlined, the beginning of the sentence and the end of the sentence must have splits.

As a matter of fact, a very effective strategy to eliminate wrong answers in SC questions is to examine the splits at the beginning and the end of the underlined portion. Hope I could explain the point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi,

I rejected E because that looked like secondary information so its better to keep it as modifier. But while reading your response, They and Their are missing antecedent, why cant they refer to Everglades?

Thanks!

sayantanc2k wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
Though swamp-like, Florida's Everglades are actually a 60-mile-wide river, the waters of which can take months to reach their final destination in Florida Bay.

(A) the waters of which can take months to reach their

(B) whose waters do take months to reach their

(C) whose waters can take months to reach its

(D) the waters of which can take months to reach its

(E) and they can take months to reach their

A. Correct. The pronoun their agrees with the antecedent waters.

B. This option alters the meaning of the original sentence. It is intended to say that the time taken by the waters to reach Florida bay may be as high as some months - nevertheless the time taken could be less as well. However using do instead of can implies that the waters always take months to reach Florida bay.

C. The pronoun its does not agree with the antecedent waters.

D. The pronoun its does not agree with the antecedent waters.

E. The pronoun they and theirs do not have any antecedent to refer to.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi neeraj609,

I do see your point. However please take a look at my reasoning below and see if it makes sense:

Everglades is a body of water that spans up to Florida Bay. The original sentence intends to mean that the water in the body (not the body itself) flows into Florida bay; it takes months for the water to reach the bay. The body itself does not move, but the water does.

Do you see my point?

neeraj609 wrote:
Hi,

I rejected E because that looked like secondary information so its better to keep it as modifier. But while reading your response, They and Their are missing antecedent, why cant they refer to Everglades?

Thanks!

sayantanc2k wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
Though swamp-like, Florida's Everglades are actually a 60-mile-wide river, the waters of which can take months to reach their final destination in Florida Bay.

B. This option alters the meaning of the original sentence. It is intended to say that the time taken by the waters to reach Florida bay may be as high as some months - nevertheless the time taken could be less as well. However using do instead of can implies that the waters always take months to reach Florida bay.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
Hi neeraj609,

I do see your point. However please take a look at my reasoning below and see if it makes sense:

Everglades is a body of water that spans up to Florida Bay. The original sentence intends to mean that the water in the body (not the body itself) flows into Florida bay; it takes months for the water to reach the bay. The body itself does not move, but the water does.

Do you see my point?

I have a query here - Does the river have a final destination or do the "waters" have a final destination. e.g.- The Ganges springs in the Himalayas and travels throughout northern India to reach its final destination - the Bay of Bengal.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
ts30 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Hi neeraj609,

Do you see my point?

I have a query here - Does the river have a final destination or do the "waters" have a final destination. e.g.- The Ganges springs in the Himalayas and travels throughout northern India to reach its final destination - the Bay of Bengal.

Either could be valid depending on usage. In this particular case, the original sentence distinctly mentions that "waters" reach the final destination and hence in my opinion it is preferable to stick to the usage if a grammatically correct option is available with this usage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Though swamp-like, Florida's Everglades are actually a 60-mile-wide ri [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:

sayantanc2k
How to decide on "its vs their" as a pronoun for WATERS, as it(waters) is an uncountable noun?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
HKD1710 wrote:

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:

Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that the waters of Florida's Everglades can take months to reach their final destination in Florida Bay.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Pronouns

A: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "can take", conveying the intended meaning - that it is possible for the waters of Florida's Everglades to take months to reach their final destination in Florida Bay. Further, Option A avoids the pronoun error seen in Option E, as it includes the noun "waters" for the pronoun "their" to refer to. Additionally, Option A correctly refers to the plural noun "waters" with the plural pronoun "their".

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "do take"; the omission of the word "can" incorrectly implies that the waters of Florida's Everglades definitely take months to reach their final destination in Florida Bay; the intended meaning is that it is possible for the waters of Florida's Everglades to take months to reach their final destination in Florida Bay.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "waters" with the singular pronoun "its".

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "waters" with the singular pronoun "its".

E: This answer choice suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronouns "they" and "their" have no logical referent.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hi,
Can you please answer my query also?
How to decide on "its vs their" as a pronoun for WATERS, as it(waters) is an uncountable noun?

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Though swamp-like, Florida's Everglades are actually a 60-mile-wide ri [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ktzsikka wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
HKD1710 wrote:

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:

Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that the waters of Florida's Everglades can take months to reach their final destination in Florida Bay.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Pronouns

A: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "can take", conveying the intended meaning - that it is possible for the waters of Florida's Everglades to take months to reach their final destination in Florida Bay. Further, Option A avoids the pronoun error seen in Option E, as it includes the noun "waters" for the pronoun "their" to refer to. Additionally, Option A correctly refers to the plural noun "waters" with the plural pronoun "their".

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "do take"; the omission of the word "can" incorrectly implies that the waters of Florida's Everglades definitely take months to reach their final destination in Florida Bay; the intended meaning is that it is possible for the waters of Florida's Everglades to take months to reach their final destination in Florida Bay.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "waters" with the singular pronoun "its".

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "waters" with the singular pronoun "its".

E: This answer choice suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronouns "they" and "their" have no logical referent.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hi,
Can you please answer my query also?

Posted from my mobile device

Dear ktzsikka,

We hope this finds you well. Having gone through your query, we believe that we can help resolve your doubt.

"water" is an uncountable noun, but its plural form "waters" is countable; this is because "water" refers to water as a substance, but "waters" refers to the various different types or currents of water. Please consider the following sentences to understand this better - "The shop sells candy." "The shop sells candies."
The first sentence uses the uncountable noun "candy", indicating that the shop sells the substance "candy", and the second sentence uses the countable noun "candies", indicating that the shop sells discreet units of candy or different types of candy.

Thus, to answer your query, the plural form of any uncountable noun ceases to be uncountable and functions as a plural noun.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts