Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Comparisonsx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]

Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1805 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Re: In addition to having more protein than wheat does, the protein in ric [#permalink]
OFFICIAL GMAT EXPLANATION

In this sentence, the initial clause modifies the nearest noun, indentifying it as the thing being compared to wheat. By making protein the noun modified, choices A, C, and D illogically compare wheat with protein and claim that the protein in rice has more protein than wheat does. In C and D, the comparative structure higher in quality than it is in wheat absurdly suggests that rice protein contains wheat. B, the best choice, logically compares wheat to rice by placing the noun rice immediately after the initial clause. B also uses that to refer to protein in making the comparison between the proteins of rice and wheat. Choice E needs either that in or does after wheat to make a complete and logical comparison.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: In addition to having more protein than wheat does, the protein in ric [#permalink]
DmitryFarber mgmat
Hi,
i was seen Thursday's with Ron's videos , in that he says "that" is used to take a particular thing from the comparision element and "it" is used to take the whole thing .
Here in the option A, the protein of Rice is higher than that of wheat.
So here that of refers to Protein of, and i marked the right answer as A.
while n option B, i felt "that" can refer to protein or rice
Not sure where i am going wrong or if i didn't understand what Ron was trying to say.
Can you please help me with this.
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
KSN27 wrote:
DmitryFarber mgmat
Hi,
i was seen Thursday's with Ron's videos , in that he says "that" is used to take a particular thing from the comparision element and "it" is used to take the whole thing .
Here in the option A, the protein of Rice is higher than that of wheat.
So here that of refers to Protein of, and i marked the right answer as A.
while n option B, i felt "that" can refer to protein or rice
Not sure where i am going wrong or if i didn't understand what Ron was trying to say.
Can you please help me with this.

The comparison between "the protein in rice" and "that in wheat" is fine. But you've missed the introductory modifier "having more protein than wheat does." This modifier must describe rice, not "the protein in rice"; A says that "the protein in rice" has more protein than wheat does, and that's insane.

In B, the "that" must refer to "protein" since there's a verb ("has") after "rice" and no verb present in the phrase "that in wheat." Parallelism controls here. There's no ambiguity.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
kaushik04 wrote:
In addition to having more protein than wheat does, the protein in rice is higher quality than that in wheat, with more of the amino acids essential to the human diet.

(A) the protein in rice is higher quality than that in

(B) rice has protein of higher quality than that in

(C) the protein in rice is higher in quality than it is in

(D) rice protein is higher in quality than it is in

(E) rice has a protein higher in quality than

Food Proteins: Properties and Characterization
By Shuryo Nakai

In this sentence, the initial clause modifies the nearest noun, identifying it as the thing being compared to wheat. By making protein the noun modified, choices A, C, and D illogically compare wheat with protein and claim that the protein in rice has more protein than wheat does.

In C and D, the comparative structure higher in quality than it is in wheat absurdly suggests that rice protein contains wheat.

B, the best choice, logically compares wheat to rice by placing the noun rice immediately after the initial clause.

B also uses that to refer to protein in making the comparison between the proteins of rice and wheat.

Choice E needs either that in or does after wheat to make a complete and logical comparison.

Attachment:
001.jpg

Hi AndrewN IanStewart How to decide between B and E? Is it the use of "a" which makes it sound as though E has many proteins? Or is comparison skewed in E? Though I couldn't find comparison wrong.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
kaushik04 wrote:
In addition to having more protein than wheat does, the protein in rice is higher quality than that in wheat, with more of the amino acids essential to the human diet.

(B) rice has protein of higher quality than that in

(E) rice has a protein higher in quality than

Hi AndrewN IanStewart How to decide between B and E? Is it the use of "a" which makes it sound as though E has many proteins? Or is comparison skewed in E? Though I couldn't find comparison wrong.

Hello, pk6969. Remember, your goal in SC is not to chase what could work as a sentence, but to select the option that is least debatable. I have taken the liberty of paring down the answer choices above to the two in question. To be clear, I cannot find a reason to doubt anything in (B). First, notice that protein refers to the same general protein of the non-underlined portion, and the restrictive article the makes sense: more protein... the protein. Then, notice that the comparison is clear: rice has protein of a higher quality than [the protein] in wheat. No problem.

Now, consider the same two benchmarks in (E). First, we have more protein... a protein. An article might not seem to make much of a difference, but the sentence now seems to be discussing a particular protein found in rice, and that does not pair well with the first usage of the word protein. Then, the comparison hinges upon ellipsis, forcing the reader to do more work to disqualify the nonsensical reading that rice has a protein higher in quality than in rice. We can determine that the comparison should instead be interpreted, rice has a protein higher in quality than wheat [does]; however, we have to do more work to get there.

If one sentence has zero doubts while another iteration of the same sentence has two, we should pick the safer bet. The sooner you become cognizant of opting for safer answers over others that may, in part, be alluring but that also lead to doubts, the better you will get at SC.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me about the question.

- Andrew
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9238 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think it's a close call here, because we sometimes omit words in a comparison when meaning is clear without them. The difficulty in E is that we can read the comparison in two ways. It can be saying, paraphrasing, "protein in rice is of higher quality than (the quality of) wheat", or we can read it as "protein in rice is of higher quality than wheat (protein is)". We don't want to compare rice protein and wheat itself; we want to compare rice protein and wheat protein. It's not clear though whether E is making that comparison. So it's possible to misinterpret the comparison in E, and if another answer is unambiguous, we should prefer that answer in GMAT SC. I don't think the article "a" is a decisive error here, though I can understand the argument that it matters. I think it's a hard question because E, on first read, doesn't look problematic, and it takes some work to decode the comparison, and to ask whether more than one interpretation is possible.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
My take on the question:

A: In addition to HAVING more protein than wheat does, the protein...? The subject of having becomes protein which doesnt make sense. Hence A is incorrect.

C: .....more than it is...., implies the same protein is there in wheat and rice. Doesn't make sense : Incorrect

D: Incorrect for the same reason as C

E: ...a protein... ? like just one? : Incorrect

B: has no such issues: rice has protein of higher quality than that(protein) in wheat : Sounds good, Correct!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
WE:Brand Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
GMATNinja, can you please help with the explanation for B here. shouldn't it be than that of rather than that in?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashardeep128 wrote:
GMATNinja, can you please help with the explanation for B here. shouldn't it be than that of rather than that in?

Well, we’re talking about an idiom here, and generally, we don't want you to worry about those. But which of the following constructions seems right to you?

1) There are 10 grams of protein in wheat.

2) There are 10 grams of protein of wheat.

You can probably tell that #1 is better, right? What would protein of wheat even mean? Protein made of wheat?

In other words: "in" is fine. And we don’t have the option of “that of” anyway.

The real takeaway: if there's ever an idiom you're unsure about, don't use it as a decision point -- there will almost always be more concrete issues to focus on.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts