Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Kindly evaluate my Profile [#permalink]
yogeshsheth wrote:
pbodine wrote:
yogeshsheth wrote:
Hi Paul,

Please Please evaluate my profile
Considering an MBA in consulting.

My background: I have done my Computer Engineering from Mumbai University ( A 4 year degree course) from A graded college with 68% aggregate.
Extracurricular:
Vice chairman Computer Society India R.A.I.T (my degree college) Chapter.
Organised inter-collegiate cultural and technical festivals.
Participated in inter-collegiate technical paper presentations.
Won few inter-collegiate robotics competition.
Participated in elocution competitions in school and college.
Elected member of student council in college and school.
Active Table Tennnis and Cricket player.

I appeared for GMAT recently(second attempt) and scored 710 with 49 in Quantitative and 37 in Verbal and
AWA-4.5 ( Had a 590 in first attempt (q 49 v 22 awa 5.5)).
I have more than 2 years of International Experience as I have been working in Sweden for IKEA since 2005.
Total Experience: 3 years India MNC ( Tata Consultancy Services).

What are my chances at Oxford/Cambridge-UK , ISB -India , NUS- Singapore , Duke, Darden, Mays, Fisher,CMU - US ,Queens-Canada.
Could you please suggest some good schools in europe.

Kindly evaluate my profile let whether aim aiming too high or too low.
I am planning to apply for fall 2008 by then I will have 4 years of work-experience.

Thanks a ton!!!

Yogesh

Yogesh,

Your 710 GMAT, long stint in Sweden, and Tata experience will all help you stand out. Be sure you write a good, non-superficial essay about the cross-cultural experience of living in Sweden. I do not think you are aiming too high with the schools you listed. Your odds at Mays, Fisher, Queen's, ISB, and NUS are good. Your odds at Oxford, CMU, Duke, and Darden are decent. This is a good, shrewd mix of schools to target. As for other European schools to target, the following all place high percentages of grads in consulting: Rotterdam, INSEAD, and IESE. You could consider INSEAD one of your long-shot schools.

You may want to read Accepted.com's advice for Indian applicants.

Good luck,

Thanks a lot Paul!!
A question about from what I have heard is that placement statistics for non-french speaking people is not that gr8. How far is it true?

yogeshsheth,

Did you mean to type INSEAD? I don't have hard data on that, but that's a fair question to ask them directly about. Also check their website for a Employment Report that may break the placement data down by nationality. Last year, they placed 21% of their MBAs in Asia, which indicates they have success outside of the French/European market. INSEAD is such a strong name that I would be surprised if it didn't benefit all their MBAs, including the non-French-speakers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
Thanks a lot paul will check their site..also ask them!!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
yogeshsheth wrote:
Thanks a lot paul will check their site..also ask them!!

You're welcome; good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
Hi Paul,

Wanted your opinion on whether the Indian IT demographic would hurt me as a candidate ? What should I do to minimise the damage?

After investigating a bit more I have prepared a short-list of schools that I will be applying to
Here's the list

Fuqua School of Business Duke University
Darden Virginia Unviversity
Tepper CMU
Goizeuta Business School Emroy University
McCombs University of Texas--Austin
Chapel Hill University of North Carolina
Krannert Business School Purdue University
Fisher Ohio State University
McDonough Business School GeorgeTown
Geogia Tech

Will probably cut down this list to about 8. What do you feel about my chances at these schools.

Thanks for your precious time.

Cheers
Yogesh
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
yogeshsheth wrote:
Hi Paul,

Wanted your opinion on whether the Indian IT demographic would hurt me as a candidate ? What should I do to minimise the damage?

After investigating a bit more I have prepared a short-list of schools that I will be applying to
Here's the list

Tepper CMU
Geogia Tech

Will probably cut down this list to about 8. What do you feel about my chances at these schools.

Cheers
Yogesh

Yogesh,

B-schools don't want to have an entering class of all IT Indian males, so given that so many IT Indian males apply, you have to work harder to make yourself stand out and be the IT Indian male they let in. You do this by accentuating what's distinctive about you -- see my first reply to you.

I think your odds are decent to good at all these schools. Decent at Fuqua, Darden, Tepper, Texas, and UNC (I could see 2-3 admitting you if you execute well in your app); and good at Emory, Purdue, Ohio State, Georgetown, and Georgia Tech.

Good luck,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
pbodine wrote:
yogeshsheth wrote:
Hi Paul,

Here's the list

Tepper CMU
Geogia Tech

Cheers
Yogesh

Yogesh,

B-schools don't want to have an entering class of all IT Indian males, so given that so many IT Indian males apply, you have to work harder to make yourself stand out and be the IT Indian male they let in. You do this by accentuating what's distinctive about you -- see my first reply to you.

I think your odds are decent to good at all these schools. Decent at Fuqua, Darden, Tepper, Texas, and UNC (I could see 2-3 admitting you if you execute well in your app); and good at Emory, Purdue, Ohio State, Georgetown, and Georgia Tech.

Good luck,

Thanks a lot for encouragement Paul, Well found the advice for Indian applicants really helpful.

Cheers
Yogesh
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
yogeshsheth wrote:
pbodine wrote:
yogeshsheth wrote:
Hi Paul,

Here's the list

Tepper CMU
Geogia Tech

Cheers
Yogesh

Yogesh,

Good luck,

Thanks a lot for encouragement Paul, Well found the advice for Indian applicants really helpful.

Cheers
Yogesh

You're welcome.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]