Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: I dont know how to proceed [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi ak2121,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours did you typically study each week?
2) What study materials did you use besides the Official Guide (what did your 'coach' give you to work with?)?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

760+: What GMAT Assassins Do To Score at the Highest Levels

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ak2121,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours did you typically study each week?
2) What study materials did you use besides the Official Guide (what did your 'coach' give you to work with?)?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

760+: What GMAT Assassins Do To Score at the Highest Levels

Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Hi, thanks for the response.
answering your questions:
Studies
1. I had started my prep around august end and hired a private tutor for the same. typically, everyday, i study 5-6 hours since i started my prep.
2. The study materials beside the og were the gmat club tests and the materials provided by my tutor(quant only). In the verbal part, I only used the official guide.
3. the first two mocks which i took were princeton review's. The first was a diagnostic which i took in the first week of september and scored a 480. The second mock was exactly a month after in which i scored 610 and then another next day itself because while reviewing i thought i had made a a lot of casual mistakes and got a 630 in that. The dates are approximate for these because I don't have access to my princeton review account anymore.
After preparing for a while, I took the E-gmat free mock-1 under proper conditions on November 3rd and got a devastating 500(Q33V27).
After this i purchased veritas mocks and the scores are:
Mock-1(November 19) 610(Q41V33)
Mock-2( November 20) 650(Q46V34)
Mock-3( November 23) 650(Q46V33)
I had my Exam scheduled on November 25th, so i took one last official practice test-1 the day before in which I got a 710(Q49V38) which as i said was a bit inflated bec of the repeated questions in both the sections.
Goals:
1. My target score is 710+
2. I was planning to apply in R1 in November itself, as Im planning for a masters. However I think I'll be missing the R1 as I have my next exam scheduled on December 21st.
The B-schools Im trying for are:
Imperial(UK)
LBS(UK)
Warwick(UK)
Whu(Germany)
Manheim(Germany)
Esade(Spain)
Escp
I did take my test in center but ofc cancelled my scores immediately. As per your advice, for the exam scheduled on the 21st, I have purchased the ESR.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello ak2121,

A score of 560 in the Official GMAT tells that basics are intact, and the ground is prepared. Now you need to practice hard and hardest level questions and take as many mock tests as possible. Create the error log and try access to the specific areas and topics that require improvement.

Also, I fully understand your frustration because, with my GMAT tutoring, guidance, and counseling experience, we have to accept a fact with a pinch of salt that diagnostic/ mock test scores are above then what one should expect in a real test. There is often dropping in the score. Some students have even experienced a drop of 100 pointers. It is one of the realities, and your preparation should not sideline this fact.

A couple of things that can be a noticeable barrier to your scores would be some or all of the below.

• No expert support (maybe) who can tutor, analyze, and guide you during your learning, especially on hard level questions while stably hitting middle-level questions.
• Lack of many updated questions and practice in the recent exam trend
• Not well aligned with time to solve questions.

We would recommend you make a note of various possible combinations of your target score. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

The possible score combinations for 700 or 700+: Q should be Q 49, 50, 51, and V should be V38, 37, 36.

You can try our free diagnostic test and receive a comprehensive study guide by topic. receive. This test will clearly help you understand your weak areas.

You can schedule a Free counseling session for 20 mins with one of our experts:https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session for detailed advice on your current study plans.

You must schedule your day smartly to revise the topics and also practice more questions. We would suggest you register with MathRevolution https://www.mathrevolution.com/member/signup to get access to our 7-day course for free trial lessons. 700+ level questions https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/questionbank are separately available, too.

Since we are a math expert, we will recommend you go through our post on the GMAT club: Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1641411.

Follow the same procedure for Verbal. You may access a lot of free materials available on the GMAT club for Verbal.

In the end, make sure you have an error log for every day. Keep checking your performance by attempting as many mock tests as possible.

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com.

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Math Revolution Team
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GRE 1: Q164 V153
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I am an Indian and recently scored a whooping 750(Q51 and V40) on my GMAT(see verified score on GMAT Club Profile) last month. I understand that scoring a high GMAT score can be a daunting task for many, it was certainly for me, and at times all you need is a clear direction to navigate your path. Also, for most Indian students it may be difficult to afford costly teaching services and spend hundreds of dollars.

I am offering a 30 min session at a meagre cost, literally peanuts, to happily clarify each and every doubt of yours, and will be sharing how I improved my score from 660 to 750. I took my Quant from Q48 to Q51 and Verbal from V31 to V40. I did not spend insane amount of money nor took in person coaching. I created my own plan, used the available resources wisely, and meticulously carved my path to 750. I am not a tutor, and hence I think from a student's perspective and I know what works in real life and what not. I also know that all those generic study plans and widely spoken about books are highly ineffective.

Rather than writing a long generic post to share my experience, I believe a one-to-one discussion is always more fruitful. If you have doubts regarding your preparation and need a strategy specific session, if you want to know how to use all the free GMAT resources available, if you want to know which resources to spend your money on and which to avoid, if you want to discuss how to fix any specific area in Verbal to score V40, or if you have exam specific doubts and need a detailed overview from a recent test taker, just DM me and I will be more than happy to help. I will also share few very useful and unique insights from my ESRs, how I modified my test taking strategy, and things to avoid on actual GMAT.

You can either go through infinite number of but extremely helpful(each post of GMAT club is just marvelous) posts on various forums and spend insane number of hours researching GMAT specific tips/videos, or just talk to me to personally clarify your specific concerns

PS. I am not a teacher, I am just an extremely hard working individual who explored every possible resource in the last one year to crack GMAT and my efforts finally paid. I believe everyone can crack GMAT and all you need is the correct plan :)
Current Student
Send PM
MathRevolution wrote:
Hello ak2121,

A score of 560 in the Official GMAT tells that basics are intact, and the ground is prepared. Now you need to practice hard and hardest level questions and take as many mock tests as possible. Create the error log and try access to the specific areas and topics that require improvement.

Also, I fully understand your frustration because, with my GMAT tutoring, guidance, and counseling experience, we have to accept a fact with a pinch of salt that diagnostic/ mock test scores are above then what one should expect in a real test. There is often dropping in the score. Some students have even experienced a drop of 100 pointers. It is one of the realities, and your preparation should not sideline this fact.

A couple of things that can be a noticeable barrier to your scores would be some or all of the below.

• No expert support (maybe) who can tutor, analyze, and guide you during your learning, especially on hard level questions while stably hitting middle-level questions.

We would recommend you make a note of various possible combinations of your target score. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

The possible score combinations for 700 or 700+: Q should be Q 49, 50, 51, and V should be V38, 37, 36.

You can try our free diagnostic test and receive a comprehensive study guide by topic. receive. This test will clearly help you understand your weak areas.

You can schedule a Free counseling session for 20 mins with one of our experts:https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session for detailed advice on your current study plans.

You must schedule your day smartly to revise the topics and also practice more questions. We would suggest you register with MathRevolution https://www.mathrevolution.com/member/signup to get access to our 7-day course for free trial lessons. 700+ level questions https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/questionbank are separately available, too.

Since we are a math expert, we will recommend you go through our post on the GMAT club: Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1641411.

Follow the same procedure for Verbal. You may access a lot of free materials available on the GMAT club for Verbal.

In the end, make sure you have an error log for every day. Keep checking your performance by attempting as many mock tests as possible.

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time management.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com.

Good luck!

Math Revolution Team

Thank you so much for the advice. Will refer the materials referred and may as well set up a counselling session with you.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
ak2121 wrote:
Hi,
Im an undergraduate planning for my masters this fall
I started preparing for the gmat in the end of august and took help via private tutoring. The study material provided were from the coaching and the official guides.
I gave my first attempt on november 25th and got a miserable 560 ( v28 q33)
after i finished the studying part, i got to practice. In my very first diagnostic mock, i scored 480 and then i took another one after my preparation through aug-oct end and got a 620(v33q43) in @veritas' first mock.
i kept practicing from the gmat club forum, the materials provided by the private tutors and kept taking the mocks on regular interval, however sometimes not in proper testing conditions
here are my mock scores in the chronological order:
veritas mock 1- 620(v33q43)
Princeton review mock 1- 610(v34q39) proper test conditions
princeton mock 2- 630(v34q44)
egmat free mock- 500 (v25q33) proper test conditions( this test actually shook me up)
i purchased the veritas 6 test pack and started doing them
my results in the mocks got better
veritas mock 2- 630(v33q45) proper test conditions
veritas mock 3- 650(v34q46)
and the day before the real gmat, i took the official practice test under real conditions and got a 710(v38q49) however a few questions were the ones i had already seen during practice earlier so i realised the score is a bit inflated, but i thought i'll be in that 650 plus region atleast.
I have no idea how to proceed forward
the 560 has really scared me and has made me feel clueless.
please guide.

Hi ak2121,

Sorry about how things went with your GMAT. The key to scoring well on GMAT is to focusing on the right aspects. If your score doesn't improve even after months of prep, then that means that there's something wrong with the preparation strategy. First let us understand the right way to prepare for GMAT.

How to prepare for GMAT in the right way?

Before you start preparing for any test, it's important to understand the structure of the test, what is tested on it and then prepare accordingly. In this case, GMAT is a test which focuses on your application skills along with the conceptual knowledge. So, just learning the concepts and practicing questions without focusing on the right methodology will not do any good. So, I suggest you to first focus on the methodology to solve questions of a particular topic and only then move to practicing questions of that topic.

So, the right way to prepare would be to first

• learn the concepts of a topic,
  • learn the right methodology to solve questions of that topic
  • practice a few questions of that topic to solidify your learning and then move to the nest topic
  • Repeat the process for all the topics

And working on weak areas is equally important. You move to the next topic only if you get a decent accuracy in the previous topic. If not, you revisit the concepts, fill the conceptual gaps and then move to the next topic only when you are 100% confident. There are a couple of articles which you might find helpful.

How to effectively plan your studies for GMAT

How to score 700+ on GMAT

How to start preparing for GMAT

And you can go through the recording below to understand how to strategize your GMAT prep in an effective way.

What might have gone wrong?

As we have understood the right way to prepare, now let's analyze what could have gone wrong with your previous attempt. You must have learnt the concepts of the topics and you must have practiced questions as well. But did you focus on the methodology part? Did you focus on working your weak areas?

These two could be the major reasons for you not scoring well on GMAT. So, this time make sure you do your prep in the right way by focusing on all the above parameters. And regarding the resource, choose a resource which can help you with not only the concepts, but the methodology as well. And the questions to practice and their detailed solutions are equally important as the solutions help you understand where exactly you are making the mistake. And a study plan would be an added advantage as you will have clear deadlines.

You can check out the free trial of GMATWhiz if you are looking for one. And for pacing yourself on the test, you can go through the recording below to understand a few test taking strategies.

And regarding how to proceed further and the study strategy, I think it would be better if we can get in touch over a call and discuss the same as I would like to ask a few questions about your current preparation strategy and your weak areas. You can use the below link to get in touch with me.

Click here to schedule a call
Current Student
Send PM
MathRevolution wrote:
Hello ak2121,

Good luck!

Math Revolution Team

Hi, I tried fixing the video session but it shows no dates available this or next month. I gave the first diagnostic test on your website following the rules stated there. I got a 46-48 score. I was thinking to discuss the same report in the session.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ak2121,

I've sent you a PM with some additional questions.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot