Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 567 [31]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 567 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Almost all motor vehicles on the road have a suspension system, that [#permalink]
Kudos
anurag16 wrote:
Almost all motor vehicles on the road have a suspension system, that provides a smooth ride by allowing the road surface to have irregularities.

a. that provides a smooth ride by allowing the road surface to have irregularities

b. that provide a smooth ride by allowing for irregularities of the road surface

c. which provides a smooth ride by allowing for irregularities of the road surface

d. which provide a smooth ride by allowing the road surface to be irregular

e. which provides a smooth ride by allowing the road surface to have irregularities

If we read answer choice e carefully , it says the suspension system allows the road surface to have irregularities which does not make any sense .
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [3]
Send PM
Re: Almost all motor vehicles on the road have a suspension system, that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
anurag16 wrote:
Hi chetan2u

Between C and E, I was unable to eliminate the choices based on the meaning.

Hi anurag16,

Idiom " allow for" means to plan on possiblity of something...

Here C uses it correctly -
c. which provides a smooth ride by allowing for irregularities of the road surface
so supension system has already taken into consideration the possiblity of irregularities in road surface...
That is why it helps you in having smoot ride inspite of irregular road surface

Where as E changes the meaning
e. which provides a smooth ride by allowing the road surface to have irregularities
here ALLOW means its literal meaning - let things happen without interference..
so E illogically conveys that suspension system has permitted road surface to have irregularities..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: Almost all motor vehicles on the road have a suspension system, that [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
anurag16 wrote:
Hi chetan2u

Hi anurag16,

so supension system has already taken into consideration the possiblity of irregularities in road surface...

so E illogically conveys that suspension system has permitted road surface to have irregularities..

Hello Chetan :) !

I need your help regarding this issue.

As per Egmat, The Verb "Allow" requires "To Verb" Construction. But in this question, choice C is in "Allow...For" Construction.

Meaning wise, I completely agree the Precedence of Choice C over E. But if we consider Egmat's rule, than isn't option C has a fatal Error ?

Please advice what should I take out of this ? :( I have attached the screenshot as well for your consideration. Thanks in Advance !

Sincerely,
Devansh
Attachments

Allow Idiom.PNG
Allow Idiom.PNG [ 66.26 KiB | Viewed 11219 times ]

CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Almost all motor vehicles on the road have a suspension system, that [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Devlikes wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
anurag16 wrote:
Hi chetan2u

Hi anurag16,

As per Egmat, The Verb "Allow" requires "To Verb" Construction. But in this question, choice C is in "Allow...For" Construction.

Meaning wise, I completely agree the Precedence of Choice C over E. But if we consider Egmat's rule, than isn't option C has a fatal Error ?

Please advice what should I take out of this ? :( I have attached the screenshot as well for your consideration. Thanks in Advance !

Sincerely,
Devansh

The verb "allow" does not necessarily take "to".

Usage 1:
"Allow" when used in the sense "permit" takes "to". Example:
He did not allow me to enter (he did not permit me to enter).

Usage 2:
However, here the meaning of allow is not "permit". The usage "allow for" is idiomatic, meaning "consider" or "plan". Example:
While estimating for the labor cost, I allowed for some idle days.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Devlikes wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
anurag16 wrote:
Hi chetan2u

Hi anurag16,

Sincerely,
Devansh

Hi Devansh,

In response to the PM...
These verbs can act as stand alone, that is, they mean and act as per its literal meaning...AND as a part of IDIOM, where they are just correct the way idiom has been used.

We cannot Q a IDIOM - WHY a or WHY not b? They are because they are- no logic as such..

Now lets see few of the verbs you have used.

1) WANT -
a) In its literal meaning - have a desire to possess or do (something)--- here in most of the cases infinitive form should follow..
I want to go to the market.
I want him to be made the captain..

b) Idiom -
WANT of - He was moved out of school for want of money.
Want for - the police want him for questioning

Similarly for ALLOW
a) permit
- he was allowed to go on vacation..

b) Idiom - allow for - leave some room for possiblity of
this is the usage here
provides a smooth ride by allowing for irregularities of the road surface..
MEANING that suspension system caters for irregularities on surface

So, whenever you something that you have learnt, first look if it is being used in its BASIC form/use...
If not, is it an idiom. You can learn idiom only by practicing more and make a NOTE of anything new you come across..

Hope it helps
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM