Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Modifiersx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the sa [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:

And here's the big issue: "the finding of much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes..." We're really not talking about the "finding of microbes" -- that would refer to the act of seeing the microbes themselves. The "reason" that we're interested in is the finding that there are larger populations of microbes in some soils than in others.

And I know: that's subtle as all hell, but it definitely makes the meaning in (E) a little bit illogical. So we're left with a steaming pile of poo, otherwise known as answer choice (A).

Hi Ninja,

I really don't understand your point about answer E. If there is a finding that "there are much larger populations etc..." then those populations must have been found somewhere, physically. So, the "finding OF much larger populations..." conveys the same meaning.
Where am I getting this wrong?
Also, I don't get the difference between the meaning of "finding of" and "finding that".
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the sa [#permalink]
gmatexam439 wrote:
Answer: A

(E) The finding of much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in those that are free of such chemicals suggests one reason certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place. -"The finding of much" is awkward. It should be "The finding that".

Why is "The finding of" awkward? What is the difference between this and "The finding that"?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]

Send PM
Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the sa [#permalink]
Expert Reply
louis3092 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

And here's the big issue: "the finding of much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes..." We're really not talking about the "finding of microbes" -- that would refer to the act of seeing the microbes themselves. The "reason" that we're interested in is the finding that there are larger populations of microbes in some soils than in others.

And I know: that's subtle as all hell, but it definitely makes the meaning in (E) a little bit illogical. So we're left with a steaming pile of poo, otherwise known as answer choice (A).

Hi Ninja,

I really don't understand your point about answer E. If there is a finding that "there are much larger populations etc..." then those populations must have been found somewhere, physically. So, the "finding OF much larger populations..." conveys the same meaning.
Where am I getting this wrong?
Also, I don't get the difference between the meaning of "finding of" and "finding that".

Consider the difference between the following two sentences:

(1) There is substantial evidence that Tim committed the crimes in question.

(2) There is substantial evidence of Tim, who committed the crimes in question.

In the first example, we use "that" to introduce a full clause. In other words, we have evidence of an action, namely that Tim committed a crime. Makes sense.

In the second example, we use the preposition "of" to introduce a noun, "Tim." But the noun doesn't work here. There isn't evidence of Tim himself. Rather, there's evidence that he did something, expressed as a full clause.

So when you see the split between "finding of" and "finding that" we'd ask ourselves: was there a finding of the noun itself? Or a finding of a full clause?

Because (A) contains the phrase "finding that," the finding in question is the full ensuing clause. In this case, they found that "there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals." Makes sense. They found more pesticide-degrading microbes in one kind of soil than in another.

Because (E) contains the phrase "finding of," the finding in question is the following noun, "pesticide-degrading microbes."

So our question is: which is more logical? The point of the sentence isn't that they found some pesticide-degrading microbes, as (E) conveys. It's that they found different amounts of these microbes in different soils, as (A) suggests. Therefore, the logic in (A) is better.

I hope that clears things up a bit!

Originally posted by GMATNinja on 12 May 2021, 20:18.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 07 Jun 2023, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
fixed typo
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
Send PM
the only reason I eliminated a is that I couldn't understand how the 2 clauses are independent? Can please someone help ?

-->> Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place; one reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.

Independent clauses need to stand without the help of any other info. so if we say that

one reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.

ONE REASON OF WHAT ? how is this independent ?

can someone help please ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
parth2424 wrote:

Hi parth2424,

An independent clause (as a unit) is a combination of a subject and predicate (verb). Look at this as a structural call, not a logical call. For example, in "Ashu took the exam and he got a good score", he got a good score is an independent clause even though he refers to a noun in the first independent clause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Send PM
Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place; one reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.

Test Point: Scentence Structure

(A) Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place; one reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals

(B) If used repeatedly in the same place, one reason that certain pesticides can become ineffective is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals ("If used repeatedly...“ should modify pesticides, not reason)

(C) If used repeatedly in the same place, one reason certain pesticides can become ineffective is suggested by the finding that much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes are found in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than those that are free of such chemicals (Same mistake as B)

(D) The finding (that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals) is suggestive of one reason, if used repeatedly in the same place, certain pesticides can become ineffective (Not idiomatic. Also, there is no connection between two clauses)

(E) The finding of much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in those that are free of such chemicals suggests one reason certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place (The "finding" should be a fact, not the population)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
perfectstranger wrote:
Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place; one reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.

(A) Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place; one reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals
Even though wordy and akward however the right meaning is conveyed therefore in

(B) If used repeatedly in the same place, one reason that certain pesticides can become ineffective is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals
This gives us the meaning as though one reason is repeatedly and that's making the pesticide useless therefore out

(C) If used repeatedly in the same place, one reason certain pesticides can become ineffective is suggested by the finding that much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes are found in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than those that are free of such chemicals
What those microbes , pesticide , chemicals out

(D) The finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals is suggestive of one reason, if used repeatedly in the same place, certain pesticides can become ineffective
if used repeatitively what is not answered therefore the meaning is distorted therefore out

(E) The finding of much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in those that are free of such chemicals suggests one reason certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place
Similar reasoning as C

Therefore IMO A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
parth2424 wrote:

Hi parth2424,

An independent clause (as a unit) is a combination of a subject and a predicate (verb). Look at this as a structural call, not a logical call. For example, in "Ashu took the exam and he got a good score", he got a good score is an independent clause even though he refers to a noun in the first independent clause.

Hi Ajitesh,
So basically an independent clause should just have its OWN subject & verb.
What makes a clause an independent clause is that it has its own Subject & Verb??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
parth2424 wrote:
Hi Ajitesh,
So basically an independent clause should just have its OWN subject & verb.
What makes a clause an independent clause is that it has its own Subject & Verb??

Hi parth2424,

That's correct. We normally need to use context to understand a block of text. That's the "logic" I was referring to in my earlier post. If we pack everything we're trying to say into one clause, we'll probably end up with very long clause.

1. Average temperatures are rising. One reason for this is deforestation.

The second sentence (which is just one independent clause) would make little sense on its own, but we can use it as a sentence (it has its own subject-verb pair). It doesn't sound (structurally) incomplete. Of course, instead of using a full stop in the middle, we could use a semicolon as well.

2. Average temperatures are rising; one reason for this is deforestation.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Parth, you can watch our video on Independent and Dependent Clauses.

Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Independent and Dependent Clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
Send PM
Hi Experts,
How should one deal with this kind of question (long fully underlined SC question) in the middle of the exam? I know I can solve during practice, but during exam I do not want to spend 2 and half or more mins to solve a SC question. It will be more horrible of I could not spot an decision point. Plus, this question is 600 level and I never want to miss or skip this level of question. Is there any strategy for such questions? Please guide. Thank you!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mck2023 wrote:
Hi Experts,
How should one deal with this kind of question (long fully underlined SC question) in the middle of the exam? I know I can solve during practice, but during exam I do not want to spend 2 and half or more mins to solve a SC question. It will be more horrible of I could not spot an decision point. Plus, this question is 600 level and I never want to miss or skip this level of question. Is there any strategy for such questions? Please guide. Thank you!!!

Hi Mck2023,

Fully underlined sentences can be painful, but there will always be (individual) questions that take more time. Try to practice with an average time in mind. I recommend 60-80 seconds for SC.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]

Send PM
Kudos