Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [9]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [8]
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [4]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Re: The table displays data on Brazilian agricultural products in 2009. [#permalink]
Kudos
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The table is already alphabetized by commodity; reading across the last row (corresponding to the commodity sugar), Brazil accounts for 21% of the total and ranks first among all nations in world sugar production. Because Brazil produces less than one-fourth (25%) of the world’s sugar, neither Brazil nor any other individual country produces more than one-fourth of the world’s sugar.

The correct answer is Yes.

Sorting the table on Exports, world rank reveals that Brazil ranks first in the export of orange juice, coffee, sugar, beef, and chickens. Brazil accounts for more than 20% of world production for each of the commodities orange juice, coffee, and sugar (56%, 40%, and 21%, respectively), but it accounts for less than 20% of world production for beef and for chickens (16% and 15%, respectively).

The correct answer is No.

Sorting the table on Production, world share reveals that Brazil produces more than 20% of the world’s supply of each of the following commodities: sugar (21%), soybeans (27%), coffee (40%), and orange juice (56%). With respect to the export of these commodities, Brazil ranks first in sugar, coffee, and orange juice, but second in soybeans. Thus, soybeans provide a counterexample to the given statement.

GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [0]
Send PM
Re: The table displays data on Brazilian agricultural products in 2009. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

RO1: Infer

The table is already alphabetized by commodity; reading across the last row (corresponding to the commodity sugar), Brazil accounts for 21% of the total and ranks first among all nations in world sugar production. Because Brazil produces less than one-fourth (25%) of the world’s sugar, neither Brazil nor any other individual country produces more than one-fourth of the world’s sugar.

The correct answer is Yes.

RO2: Recognize

Sorting the table on Exports, world rank reveals that Brazil ranks first in the export of orange juice, coffee, sugar, beef, and chickens. Brazil accounts for more than 20% of world production for each of the commodities orange juice, coffee, and sugar (56%, 40%, and 21%, respectively), but it accounts for less than 20% of world production for beef and for chickens (16% and 15%, respectively).

RO3: Recognize

Sorting the table on Production, world share reveals that Brazil produces more than 20% of the world’s supply of each of the following commodities: sugar (21%), soybeans (27%), coffee (40%), and orange juice (56%). With respect to the export of these commodities, Brazil ranks first in sugar, coffee, and orange juice, but second in soybeans. Thus, soybeans provide a counterexample to the given statement.

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 38.23 KiB | Viewed 11056 times ]
Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 39.42 KiB | Viewed 11170 times ]
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [2]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Kudos
Yes - Because at 21%, 1st rank is there
No - Beef and Chicken are the exceptions per the table
No- again beef and chicken are the exceptions

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
1)Yes,since Brazil tops the list with 21% , which means no other country produces more than 1/4 of sugar
2)No,since Beef and chicken are exception here since Brazil tops for export in those categories but has production share < 20%
3)No,since again Beef and chicken are exception here

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Sajjad1994 picture in the attachment doesnt mention the countries. Kindly look into it. Thanks
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bhavika468 wrote:
Sajjad1994 picture in the attachment doesnt mention the countries. Kindly look into it. Thanks

The question is complete. The country name is not needed to be in the table to solve the question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Bhavika468 wrote:

The question is complete. The country name is not needed to be in the table to solve the question.

I think I read the questions in a wrong sense and hence I should delete my previous comment. Sorry about it and thanks for clarifying.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bhavika468 wrote:
I think I read the questions in a wrong sense and hence I should delete my previous comment. Sorry about it and thanks for clarifying.

No worries at all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
It looks lime the GMAT Focus Edition Kit has changed this question slightly. How do we answer:
There are countries that export a greater percent of their coffee crops than does Brazil.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1031 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11169 posts