Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Highly ranked Euro MBA vs Canadian MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Frankly it does not matter where you want to be poor - Europe, Canada, or India :lol:
If you are paying full sticker price, make sure you can afford it and if people are heading back home after graduation, means the program is not helping them find jobs and the brand is not strong enough sustain itself.

The challenge is that Neither EU or Canada employers are really true believes in MBA. First they look at your work experience and then they see an MBA. The MBA concept is more American and does not fit super well into the European recruiting and apprenticeship model after a masters.

There is a good argument about IE. They have dropped from rankings for a little while after some score inconsistency allegations a few years ago so it is not clear where they vs. IESE or ESADE but they are somewhere in the Top 10 in Europe.

The challenge with Spain and IESE and ESADE as well is you have to know the language to settle in, even in Barcelona. Otherwise, you are recruiting in London and Amsterdam only or now potentially Germany but that's spotty. The feedback I have heard is the EU salary is not great either. At the same time, BC and Vancouver are not a big economic driving force in Canada. There are a few companies there but it is not a bit employer of tech or consulting. ... which you did not say which career track you are picking but I feel Canada is easier in terms of residency at least. At the same time, your experience matters a lot more in Canada.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Art200 wrote:
Go To UBC.

IE Business School is no top European Business School. Also, it is way overpriced for its value. In fact, it got excluded from the FT ranking for dubious reasons.

UBC is also located in a great location (Vancouver), you will have the mountains and a lot of different activities. You will find a job much quicker in Canada than in Spain (much better pay as well).

The choice is really easy to make and don't listen to none sense comments (like the one above).

Good luck!

I can't seem to find a career outcome report for UBC , the latest report is from 2018; and that report too states the average base pay at ~70K CAD -not bad not great. if anything I'm more confused now XD
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Frankly it does not matter where you want to be poor - Europe, Canada, or India :lol:
If you are paying full sticker price, make sure you can afford it and if people are heading back home after graduation, means the program is not helping them find jobs and the brand is not strong enough sustain itself.

The challenge is that Neither EU or Canada employers are really true believes in MBA. First they look at your work experience and then they see an MBA. The MBA concept is more American and does not fit super well into the European recruiting and apprenticeship model after a masters.

There is a good argument about IE. They have dropped from rankings for a little while after some score inconsistency allegations a few years ago so it is not clear where they vs. IESE or ESADE but they are somewhere in the Top 10 in Europe.

The challenge with Spain and IESE and ESADE as well is you have to know the language to settle in, even in Barcelona. Otherwise, you are recruiting in London and Amsterdam only or now potentially Germany but that's spotty. The feedback I have heard is the EU salary is not great either. At the same time, BC and Vancouver are not a big economic driving force in Canada. There are a few companies there but it is not a bit employer of tech or consulting. ... which you did not say which career track you are picking but I feel Canada is easier in terms of residency at least. At the same time, your experience matters a lot more in Canada.

I did read about the ranking "SCANDAL" on r/mba and P&Q , IE did try and brush it under the carpet by stating a sample error (of sorts), I wish to get into Alcobev trade - switching from operations is the prime reason for considering an Euro MBA was to get into programs like GMBA at AbinBev. as a fallback I could continue in the same industry but with a functional shift at brands like RBI(Restaurant brands International) , both the said Employers hire from IE !

IESEs Adcomm said I was a tad bit "too young" who's statement was just paraphrasing of what you stated about language and job market.
I did not get the IE talent scholarship , but ill be applying for 3 scholarships that IE has to offer , my savings will just about cover the tuition for IE and UBC

super confused now :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
Hey, the 70K CAD will of course depend on the industry and position. Some will pay more (finance, consulting & operations) while some will pay less (marketing).
Good luck!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Art200 wrote:
Hey, the 70K CAD will of course depend on the industry and position. Some will pay more (finance, consulting & operations) while some will pay less (marketing).
Good luck!

I would hope so. 70K CAD is 55K US and you don't need an MBA to make $55K.
Taking into consideration Canadian taxes, I think it will be tricky... reminds of this post actually: https://gmatclub.com/forum/highest-roi- ... 60130.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Disagree w/ the other poster.

IE just built a brand new towering building to house it's programs. It's pouring a ton of money to boost its programs. Sure, the rankings scandal is an issue but it's still a top 10ish program in Europe. Everyone in Europe knows IE.

UBC Sauder is a very regional program, little brand rep outside it's local area.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Highly ranked Euro MBA vs Canadian MBA [#permalink]
To put it straight, how can you say this "Everyone in Europe knows IE."
I can assure you that in Northern Europe, no one will known what it is while UBC people will know about it.

People have much more chance knowing UBC than IE (let's be honest come on).

Originally posted by Art200 on 09 Dec 2021, 04:14.
Last edited by Art200 on 09 Dec 2021, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Send PM
Highly ranked Euro MBA vs Canadian MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
We can agree to disagree.

To the OP, look at the rankings, placement and brand of each school. Linkedin searches and OCR reports will help you make the case.

UBC's OCR reports show its grads make very little compared to std MBA grads. Mainly because UBC isn't a top Canadian school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Then, we agree to disagree :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts