Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Tuck Admissions Insights: Your Admissions Interview [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuck Admissions Insights: Your Admissions Interview

By Patricia Harrison

Co-Executive Director, Admissions and Financial Aid

The Tuck Admissions team is known for transparency when it comes to admissions criteria and how we evaluate applications. I’m excited to discuss a component of your application that allows you to provide a more complete picture of who you are—your admissions interview. 

Admissions interviews play an important role in the evaluation process. They are a way for you to demonstrate how you’ll contribute to our community, and how Tuck can help you thrive. They also give you a chance to learn more about Tuck. 

While Tuck’s interviews are meant to be a comfortable conversation, we understand that the process of interviewing at a business school can be a stressful one. We know that you are excited about the prospect of attending Tuck, and we’re excited to meet you! I hope the advice below helps alleviate interview-day anxiety. 

Preparing for Your Interview—You’ve Got This!

Know our four admissions criteria well. The admissions interview is an opportunity for you to demonstrate that you are smart, accomplished, aware, and encouraging. Most of our interviews are conducted by Tuck Admissions Associates (TAAs). These are trained second-year students who are excited to learn your story. Using only your resume, your interviewer will ask you questions that draw out evidence of each of these criteria. Your interviewer listens to your answers, summarizes and records notes in a form, and makes a recommendation on your candidacy to the admissions committee. The best interviews are conversations that flow naturally, and TAAs have discretion regarding which questions they ask—they have no pre-set list from us—and how they allocate questions across the 30-45 minutes of your interview. 

Some of the questions we might ask are common to an MBA interview. Prepare and know your answers. Although this may vary by candidate and interviewer, you will likely be asked some standard questions, such as “Walk me through your resume”, “Why are you pursuing an MBA?” and “What are your goals?” Prepare to discuss these by reviewing your resume beforehand, thinking about any applicable transitions, and reflecting on what aspects are most important to you and how you can best highlight them to your interviewer. Consider asking yourself: what led you to this point in your professional journey, and what goals are you hoping to achieve post-MBA? Answers to these questions are only a small part of your interview. It’s best to respond to them in 2-3 minutes to give your interviewer enough time to ask behavioral questions that explore your alignment with our four criteria. 

We ask behavioral questions. Prepare examples that address each of our four criteria. We believe that behaviors demonstrate transferable skills that predict your impact at Tuck and beyond. By relating stories from your past, you show us that your performance can be replicated here at Tuck and throughout your professional life. You may find the STAR format helpful in structuring your answers. Start with the  Situation, then describe the Task or problem that you faced. Next, tell your interviewer about the Actions you took, and finish the story with a brief summary of the Result. The best stories are those that focus mostly on your actions. 

Prepare examples but listen well to the questions asked. Be ready to improvise and think on your feet. Your interviewer will likely ask you at least one question for which you have no prepared answer. Remember to listen carefully and answer the question being asked. It is okay (even encouraged!) to take a few seconds to collect your thoughts before answering the question as best as you can. Our interviewer may ask follow up questions. This is a good thing! Consider this as an opportunity to provide additional evidence of one or more of the criteria in your answer. Resist the temptation to use pre-written notes or answers; they are likely to stilt your responses and limit your opportunity to demonstrate that you are conversational and think quickly in the moment. 

Research Tuck well. And then use the interview to learn even more about us. Think about what compelled you to apply to Tuck and articulate how you envision yourself contributing to the community. But remember—we don’t expect you to know everything about the school! Your interviewer is a second-year student that deeply knows Tuck and could be a wealth of information for you. I encourage you to ask questions that cannot be easily answered through our marketing materials or website. As you will see, our interviewers are excited about Tuck and are eager to answer your questions. 

The virtual interview format requires some additional preparation. Due to health risks associated with COVID-19, we will conduct admissions interviews virtually for the 2021-2022 application year. The guidance above applies both to in-person and to virtual interviews.  However, we encourage you to keep a few additional details in mind when preparing for the virtual format. 

• Dress professionally, and maintain good posture and body language
  • Position your camera a little above your eye level, leaving your head and shoulders visible and 10-20% of the top of the screen unfilled
  • Sit facing your light source, allowing for a clear and bright video
  • Minimize background distractions and outside noise

The interview starts from the moment your interviewer greets you. First impressions are formed early on.  Log in on time, or better yet, a little early. Present yourself with confidence and composure. Your interviewer will likely initiate small talk as you establish and test your virtual connection. Stay positive and be confident. Building rapport is as important in a virtual interview as it is in person. You can replicate this positive effect virtually by smiling, holding good eye contact, or giving a confident wave to your interviewer. After that, keep the small talk going by asking related questions in return, and use it as a chance to continue building rapport with your interviewer before you dive into the bulk of the interview. 

Interviewing is a great way to demonstrate your alignment with Tuck’s criteria. It’s also an unparalleled opportunity to connect with a second-year student and get a feel for our school’s culture. We truly look forward to hearing more of your story. Prepare, relax, and be confident. You will shine! 

Learn more about applying to Tuck
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Applying to Tuck through the Consortium? [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Applying to Tuck through the Consortium?

Current student Gissell Castellon T’22 (pictured above) is one of Tuck’s Consortium liaisons and is available to help prospective students learn more about the Consortium.

By Amy Mitson

You may have heard about the Consortium, been to a Consortium MAPS event, or perhaps you are in the process of putting the finishing touches on your Consortium application to Tuck. You may also have no idea what I am referring to! Wherever you find yourself, let this application journey be your own and know that you are in the right place. Keep reading if you are curious about applying to Tuck through the Consortium or need guidance on your application in progress.

What is the Consortium?

The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management (“the Consortium”), was established in 1966 and is a mission driven organization committed to enhancing diversity and inclusion in global business education and leadership by striving to reduce the significant underrepresentation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both MBA classrooms and the ranks of global management. Tuck has been a Consortium member since 1999 and there are currently 21 Consortium member schools. Any US Citizen or permanent resident who can demonstrate a commitment to the Consortium’s mission is eligible to apply (i.e., individuals of any race or ethnicity may apply). A common application, opportunity for scholarship, as well as broadened personal and professional networks are some of the benefits of the Consortium. I hope the following paragraphs clarify the process and address some frequently asked questions.

Many schools, one application!

The Consortium is an organization of 21 member MBA schools. The Consortium application has two components: the common or “core application” and the individual school supplement. If you are applying to Tuck through the Consortium, a common application (foundational information used in applying to any Consortium member school) and a school specific supplement (unique questions that are school specific) are required. You may apply to up to six schools through one application. The specific questions in the Tuck supplement are the exact questions presented to every Tuck applicant, those applying to Tuck through the Consortium and those applying directly to Tuck.

Specific Tuck research is critical in this common application process.

A great foundation for applying to Tuck is to review our admissions criteria as well as the guide to our essays which you can find on the Tuck360 blog. You can see the Tuck essay questions as well as guidance for answering each essay. The best first step to essay writing may come even before you seek advice from us. Take some time to reflect on what you have accomplished, how you have arrived at this moment, and how you want to present yourself to the admissions committee. Lead with your story and then use our resources as a guide to refine your responses.

Keep in mind, in addition to Tuck’s required essays, there are two short answer questions within the Tuck supplement that ask you to talk about your short term and long-term goals. Each short answer question has a 75-word limit. These short answers are meant to be brief statements about your career aspirations.

Tackling the Consortium core essay and Tuck essay #1 with confidence.

When applying through the Consortium, you are evaluated for membership to the Consortium organization as well as admission to your selected school(s). Membership essays are strictly viewed and evaluated by the Consortium.

There is one required Consortium essay that all applicants will answer, followed by three unique Tuck essay questions. Allow me to dive into some details and compare the required Consortium core essay and Tuck’s first essay. The Consortium core essay asks: “Please discuss your post-MBA short and long-term goals. How will your professional experience, when combined with an MBA degree, allow you to achieve your goals?” Tuck’s essay #1 asks: "Tuck students can articulate how the distinctive Tuck MBA will advance their aspirations. Why are you pursuing an MBA and why Tuck?"

While you could read similarities into these questions, please think about the uniqueness of these essays and how answers to each can reveal something unique about yourself and your path forward. The Consortium essay asks specifically for your goals and how your professional experience, plus the MBA, will help you achieve these goals. The Tuck essay asks why, of many great options, have you chosen the MBA for your next step and why is Tuck the best place for you to pursue this opportunity. When answering Tuck essay #1, you do not need to restate your goals. This essay is a wonderful platform to connect specifically with Tuck and highlight what it is about the Tuck MBA that genuinely aligns with your aspirations.

What is up with the school ranking section?

The Consortium will ask you to rank your chosen schools. Rank does not impact admission or membership consideration. Tuck will see your school rankings after we have made your admissions decision. Like all applications to Tuck, scholarships are awarded after all application decisions have been finalized. Tuck uses discretion in awarding scholarships to incoming students who will significantly contribute to Tuck’s distinctly immersive learning community. We offer scholarships to enroll outstanding students who, absent funding, might not attend the Tuck School. No matter where you rank Tuck, if you are admitted to Tuck we will evaluate you for scholarship. Scholarship awards range from $10,000 per year up to full tuition.

When will your application be reviewed by Tuck?

There are two application rounds for the Consortium and applications are due either October 15 or January 5. You will submit all materials and your completed application to the Consortium by your chosen deadline date and then it will be forwarded to all member schools to which you have applied. The Consortium shares applications in batches with member schools after the Round 1 and Round 2 Consortium deadlines have passed. We typically receive application materials within 48 hours of each Consortium round deadline and Tuck will email you to confirm receipt of your completed application.

What happens if you take advantage of Tuck’s guaranteed interview date?

For Round 1 and Round 2 Consortium applicants to Tuck, you may submit your completed application early to be guaranteed an interview. If you submit your Consortium application by a Tuck guaranteed interview date, this does not accelerate when we receive your application. Due to the Consortium sharing application information with 21 member schools, they process on a batch basis. Your application submission date is noted, and Tuck will be aware if you submit all materials by our guaranteed interview date. No matter which round you choose and whether or not you submit by the guaranteed interview date, don’t stress. We are excited to hear from you when you are ready, and we will interview as many applicants as possible!

What happens if I have recently discovered the Consortium, but I have already applied directly to Tuck?

It is okay to discover the Consortium at different points along the application journey. If you have already applied to Tuck, but would like to explore membership to the Consortium, there is a “school referred” process. The school referred window opens after the Consortium has closed its active application cycle on January 31. Between February 1, 2022 and October 1, 2022, the Consortium has an open referral process for anyone admitted to a member school. You may reach out to us after you are admitted, and we will help you connect with the Consortium.

Who is the Consortium community at Tuck?

The Consortium community at Tuck is an engaged group of first- and second-year students and alumni who honor the mission of Consortium through community engagement and leadership at Tuck and in the broader business world upon graduation. Current Consortium students at Tuck are members of the student board, mentors to the Dartmouth community, the leadership team for our annual Diversity Conference, and student ambassadors. You are welcome to connect with Tuck’s Consortium liaisons and current student members of the Consortium community through our Tuck Ambassadors page.

What if I have more questions about applying to Tuck via the Consortium?

We are always available for your application questions. Please reach out to me, Felicia Swoope, or join us for an upcoming event. We look forward to connecting with you and guiding you through this process!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Be the Changemaker: The 2021 Tuck Women in Business Conference [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Be the Changemaker: The 2021 Tuck Women in Business Conference

By the Tuck WIBC Co-Chairs

Since 2005, the Tuck Women in Business Conference has brought together prospective students, current students, alumni, faculty, and staff for two days of community building, panel discussions, social events and more. This year’s theme “Be the Changemaker” is inspired by the events over the past year and focuses on being activists, truth-tellers, and gamechangers. We will be taking a closer look at who we authentically are, who we want to become, and how this reinvigorates the way we work as we pave the way for the next generation of women leaders. 

Events include keynote speeches from Tuck alums (Kate Jhaveri, chief marketing officer of the NBA; Aisha Barry, president of Advanced Sterilization), TuckTalks (an inspiring night of storytelling), small group dinners, career panels, and opportunities to experience the Upper Valley and Tuck community. 

This year marks the 16th year of the Women in Business Conference and will be held in a hybrid format from October 22-24. As we approach the conference weekend, we asked the co-chairs—T'22s Monique Mahboobani, Stephanie Puzak, Tatiana Ladygina, and Lulu Carter —to share what “Be the Changemaker” means to them.

View this year's schedule

Monique Mahboobani T’22

From a young age, I have always been encouraged to speak up. It was never easy and still isn’t. In particular, I found myself at my first job stepping into a “boys club”-type environment where leading a discussion and being taken seriously was a battle. But I had family, friends, and co-workers who supported me and reaffirmed that I had every right to be in that room. Every right to share my perspective and lend my voice. In those situations, I learned how important it was to hold on to your values and your principles. To overcome challenges, you have to be grounded in who you are. You must have sturdy roots but also be willing to sway in the wind.

To be a changemaker doesn’t mean you have to do something revolutionary. It’s about being brave. It’s about rising up to a challenge. It’s about speaking up when something is important to you. It’s about doing things that you’re afraid of because you know it’s the right thing to do.

Stephanie Puzak T’22

This year’s conference theme means a lot to me and I hope that it can truly be a call to action for our participants—both prospective and current students, as well as alumni. Paraphrasing Glennon Doyle here: what we need is women who are full of themselves, who know and trust themselves to make a change. We need models; not martyrs.

Being a changemaker is not just about pushing against the status quo on a grand scale but also standing up on a daily basis when it is easier to stay seated. We are defined by our consistent actions rather than just our loudest moments. I hope that the programming, panelists and activities can inspire participants to find their inner changemaker on a daily basis while holding true to themselves.

Tatiana Ladygina T’22

As a career switcher myself, I know how terrifying it is to make the first step and to start building something from a scratch. Being a changemaker means embracing the challenge of uncovering one's new aspirations, setting new goals, pushing the limits, focusing on what new beginnings can bring, and sticking to your journey until you get to where you want to be.

Being a changemaker means you must be willing to look at the world from a different angle. It means being brave to challenge yourself and encouraging others to do so, too. 20 years later, you want to look back and be amazed by what you achieved.

Lulu Carter T'22

One of our keynote speakers this year is literally a game changer. Six months into Kate Jhaveri’s new role as CMO of the NBA, the COVID-19 pandemic forced the organization to dramatically reimagine the 2020 season. After a four-month hiatus, during which Kate’s team worked tirelessly to continue engaging the NBA’s fan community, the league unveiled the NBA bubble, introduced by the “Whole New Game” campaign featuring Issa Rae. Striding through NBA stadiums, superimposed on old game film, Rae announces “It’s the game you love, like you’ve never seen it before. 22 teams, all in one place, ready to make history. This isn’t the same NBA, it’s a whole new game.”

What strikes me about the move was how rules had to change for the league to continue its season. It’s a fresh take on the old adage, “If you don’t adapt, you die.” We need change to grow and to succeed, and we need leaders like Kate to have the courage to think creatively. We need the rulebreakers to push against “the way things have always been done.” Whether we have the comfort of carefully testing new ideas or whether circumstance drives necessity, recent history shows us that building and leading lasting organizations requires flexibility and innovation.

Director
Director
Send PM
All In: The September/October Edition with Tuck Admissions Director Am [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: All In: The September/October Edition with Tuck Admissions Director Amy Mitson

By Amy Mitson

Each month, Amy Mitson, co-executive director of Tuck Admissions, will be here on the Tuck360 Blog to share the latest news, insights, and advice from Admissions. We look forward to getting to know you and sharing what makes the Tuck MBA experience distinct. As Teo Gonzalez T’21 puts it: “Tuck is a place where everyone can be 'all in.' When you commit to this experience, you commit to two years when all your focus is on yourself, your teammates, and your craft.

I blinked and summer turned to Fall! It is cooler in the mornings here in Hanover, and the air feels crisper just in time for apple picking season.

Let me get you up to speed! Our T’23s are on campus, in classes, and getting to know their classmates through the intense first term of their MBA. In equally exciting news, the T’22s have returned to Hanover after their internships and are already sharing their experiences with the first-year class.  Tuck is abuzz with activity and excitement. To our T’23s, welcome to Tuck and to our T’22s welcome back!

My admissions colleagues and I have been speaking to many of you over the past few months. From Information Sessions to Answers Only webinars to Conversations with Tuck Admissions, it’s been a season stacked with online events and we take great pleasure in getting to know more about you as you navigate the MBA application process. We will continue to have Online Event opportunities for you. Please join us whenever you have a question to ask, a point to clarify, or just want to know a bit more about the Tuck MBA. 

We’re lucky to have a dedicated group of second-year students, Tuck Admissions Associates (TAAs), who lead the charge with interviewing each incoming class. The start of interview season quickly transitions into the start of reading season. The admissions committee will soon be deep into file reading and evaluating many of you on Tuck’s four admissions criteria. For those of you who have not yet applied, brush up on these before you hit submit! 

Many of you have asked about what the MBA will look like this year at Tuck. While I have stopped trying to predict the future, I can tell you that our moment right now is inspiring! Students are in class, on campus, and jumping into MBA life. Stell Hall is full of Tuckies getting to know one another, and last week it was a challenge to get through the crowd of T’23s handing in their mid-term exams. Second-year students returned to Hanover and had a chance to celebrate with one another during some re-orientation events (aptly named Tuck Recharge). Tuck’Tails, our community cocktail hour, is back after an incredibly long hiatus, and a scavenger hunt, small group dinners, and a band party under the stars rounded out the weekend festivities for students and partners. And faculty could not be happier to be in the classroom with students

Early in the month, we hosted the 27th Tuck Diversity Conference. This year's theme, Strength through Stories, was picked to remind us that everyone is different, and our differences make our personal stories unique. We hope that by sharing our stories, we can create a community in which diversity is accepted and celebrated. Keynote speakers included Tuck alumnus Dawson Her Many Horses T'10 and Dr. Terrence Roberts of the Little Rock Nine. While we could not accommodate all applicants due to the event being quite oversubscribed, there are numerous ways to connect with us this fall. We hope to see you soon and answer any questions you have about Tuck and your application this year.

As the academic year picks up, I will have even more to share with you, but for now, I’ll leave you with an article on summer reads from Tuck alumni authors—maybe you’ll find your new favorite book in the mix!

Director
Director
Send PM
Networking, Your Job Application, the General Management Skillset, and [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Networking, Your Job Application, the General Management Skillset, and More: Tips from Tuck Career Services

By Tuck Career Services

Tuck Career Services presents a series of interviews that shine light on the many career-related resources available here at Tuck. From our knowledgeable team of career advisors to the selfless support from student and alumni populations, those who attend Tuck have access to a truly personalized career coaching experience. It is our goal to help you find and secure a post-graduate role that you’re excited about and that aligns with your personal and professional goals. Join us as we dive into recruiting for specific industries, help you further develop your job search skills, and get to know the members of Tuck’s Career Services Team.

Your Host

Andy Kaestle T’17 has more than 10 years of professional experience in client-serving and coaching roles. He grew up in Seattle, pursued undergraduate degrees in accounting and finance at the University of San Diego, and worked in M&A diligence as a CPA in both the US and Europe prior to pursuing his MBA at Tuck. Upon graduating in 2017, he joined Bain & Company where he spent four years serving clients focused on growth strategy and agile innovation before joining Tuck’s Career Services Team. Andy enjoys hiking, skiing, and camping, and lives in Hanover, New Hampshire with his wife Lisa and their three children (Will – 4.5yrs, Hannah – 2.5yrs, and Samantha – 2mths) and dog (Max – 10yrs).

“Tuck was a transformational experience for me in many ways, one of which was that the Career Services Team helped me identify and pursue a career path that aligned with my professional ambitions. I took advantage of just about every resource Tuck offered and ultimately found a post-MBA career path I was excited about. The time I spent at Bain helped me develop a valuable skillset that I have enjoyed bringing to my role as a career advisor here at Tuck. I am especially excited to share the collective wisdom of the Career Services Team with the Tuck community through this podcast!”

—Andy Kaestle T’17

Episode 1: Get to Know Tuck Career Services with Stephen Pidgeon T’07, Executive Director, Tuck Career Services

Ready to take your career to the next level? Curious about how to best leverage the many resources available at Tuck? In the debut episode of the Tuck Career Services Podcast, Stephen Pidgeon, T’07 talks about his underlying approach to career advising, lays out the full menu of services available to students, and shares a few reasons why every incoming Tuck student should connect with the Career Services Team.

Your browser does not support the audio element.

Episode 2: The General Manager Skillset with Marc Aquila T’07, Director, Business Development, Tuck Career Services

One of the most common reasons we hear that someone is drawn to Tuck is the opportunity to develop a general manager skillset. Join Marc Aquila, T’07 as we explore the various career paths that enable Tuck MBAs to develop a well-rounded business skillset, the advantages of each, and how to give yourself the best chance at successfully pursuing these roles. Marc draws on his own experience successfully landing a spot in John Deere’s management development program, and many years of working with Tuckies to land jobs at some of the most recognizable and sought-after organizations in the world.

Episode 3: Exploring Your Job Application Materials with Mathias Machado T’09, Director, Career Services and Resources, Tuck Career Services

Age-old wisdom suggests that being offered a job is the result of acing an interview, but landing the interview requires submitting application materials that position you as a differentiated and well-suited candidate. Join our team’s resident resume guru Mathias Machado T’09 as we discuss the role resumes and cover letters play in the application process, what employers are looking for in each, and how job-seekers can maximize their chances of securing an interview. We also touch on what candidates should know about the latest automated screening software, social media presence, and some of the most commonly made missteps that can derail one’s candidacy.

Episode 4: Networking Tips with Deirdre O’Donnell, Director, MBA Career Services and Advising, Tuck Career Services

Networking is often viewed as something that only benefits the employer. Join Deirdre O’Donnell to learn how you can leverage networking to learn about potential employers, highlight your skills and experience, as well as start to build relationships with future co-workers. Deirdre opens up about the pivotal role networking played in launching and advancing her 25-year career at Lehman Brothers, as well as the common pitfalls she sees students make when navigating the networking process.

Director
Director
Send PM
Reflections on COP 26: “Imperfect Advocate” to Climate-Conscious Leade [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Reflections on COP 26: “Imperfect Advocate” to Climate-Conscious Leader

By Samuel Grant T’22

Samuel Grant T’22 shares the takeaways from his recent trip to Glasgow and the COP 26 climate summit.

“You are failing us. But the young people are starting to understand your betrayal. The eyes of all future generations are upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say: We will never forgive you.”

Greta Thunberg

Address to the UN Climate Action Summit, September 2019

The UN Conference of Parties is vast and overwhelming. On any given day there are over 600 plenaries, negotiations, press conferences, and presentations. Through funding from Tuck, I had the opportunity to sit in on negotiations, meet private sector executives, and eat terrible sandwiches while hemmed in by large crowds.

I choose to leave COP feeling optimistic. This is a conscious decision on my part because there is objectively so much to feel pessimistic about. The fossil fuel industry sent a larger delegation to COP than any individual nation. If all the pledges made at COP are perfectly adhered to, the global average temperature will rise to 1.8°C over pre-industrial levels. This means that 99% of coral reefs will die, all the glaciers will melt, and residents of island nations had better sign up for swimming lessons. These changes will occur by the time the Tuck Class of 2022 is eligible to receive Social Security benefits.

Activists took to the streets of Glasgow to demand immediate action on climate change during the summit.

I am optimistic because it remains possible, technically, to keep global warming below the catastrophic 1.5° C threshold. I saw amazing technological advancements at the conference: JCB makes industrial front-end loaders with hydrogen-powered combustion engines that produce only steam, and an Australian company has developed technology to turn CO2 emissions from gas extraction into solid bricks for home construction. Let’s not be under the illusion, however, that some deus ex machina will resolve generations of destruction. I am encouraged by the interventions of the tens of thousands of activists who descended on COP demanding urgent and radical action. The walls of the conference center are thick, and the negotiators cannot hear the drums and cowbells. The demonstrators, however, are consumers, and voters, and employees, and are committed to driving change.

COP has spurred me to reflect deeply on the role that I have played in exacerbating climate change, and what I can do going forward. I am what Graham Zimmerman would call a highly “imperfect advocate.” I have taken hundreds of flights in my lifetime, I drive an internal combustion car, and I really like to eat steak burritos. I will find those things difficult to give up. Attending this conference has crystallized my thinking on a few things that I can do, and I think these are behaviors that other Tuck students can adopt as well.

Scenes from a hike around Loch Katrine in the Highlands.

Work where you can maximize the scale of your impact. Demand urgency and accountability on climate change. Tuck alumni will go on to advise multinational firms as consultants, structure transactions for financial behemoths, and rise to leadership roles in Fortune 500 companies. We are united in our goal to become wise leaders to better the world of business and can achieve more change at a global level by working for Exxon and Walmart than by joining advocacy groups and NGOs. Ask tough questions about how corporate decision-making is aligned with keeping global warming below 1.5° C.

Speak plainly and don’t get scared by jargon.  I hesitated to get involved in sustainability because I felt unqualified. Climate change is discussed in unintuitive terms: parts per million of atmospheric aerosols, intermittent vs. dispatchable power, and thousands of confusing acronyms. Don’t feel like you need to be a chemist, geologist, or meteorologist to understand what is going on. If you can read The Lorax, you can understand climate change. Embrace human-centric communication, and consider how actions create impacts on water, soil, and people.

Go outdoors.  On one of my most rewarding days at COP, I skipped the morning sessions of the conference and went hiking at Loch Katrine in the Highlands. Cold mist gave way to pale sunlight; I felt squishy humus underfoot and saw twinkling light reflecting from the minerals in the schist cliffs. The air smelled amazing. I worried that the negotiators drinking bad coffee in windowless chambers of the windowless conference center were missing out on this and would lose perspective on why their work is so important. Time spent in nature recharges me and strengthens my resolve to protect these spaces.

I am deeply grateful to the Tuck Center for Business, Government & Society and the Revers Center for Energy for funding my journey and providing this opportunity for personal growth. All views expressed above are entirely and authentically my own.

The Revers Center for Energy believes that regardless of industry, tomorrow's wise leaders will need to make informed energy, climate change, and sustainability decisions during their careers that drive innovation for a sustainable future.

The Center for Business, Government & Society (CBGS) creates and develops awareness, knowledge, skills, wisdom, and leadership on issues at the intersection of business, government, and society.
Director
Director
Send PM
Reflections on COP26: “Imperfect Advocate” to Climate-Conscious Leader [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Reflections on COP26: “Imperfect Advocate” to Climate-Conscious Leader

By Sam Grant T’22

Sam Grant T’22 shares the takeaways from his recent trip to Glasgow and the COP26 climate summit.

“You are failing us. But the young people are starting to understand your betrayal. The eyes of all future generations are upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say: We will never forgive you.”

Greta Thunberg

Address to the UN Climate Action Summit, September 2019

The UN Conference of Parties is vast and overwhelming. On any given day there are over 600 plenaries, negotiations, press conferences, and presentations. Through funding from Tuck, I had the opportunity to sit in on negotiations, meet private sector executives, and eat terrible sandwiches while hemmed in by large crowds.

I choose to leave COP feeling optimistic. This is a conscious decision on my part because there is objectively so much to feel pessimistic about. The fossil fuel industry sent a larger delegation to COP than any individual nation. If all the pledges made at COP are perfectly adhered to, the global average temperature will rise to 1.8°C over pre-industrial levels. This means that 99% of coral reefs will die, all the glaciers will melt, and residents of island nations had better sign up for swimming lessons. These changes will occur by the time the Tuck Class of 2022 is eligible to receive Social Security benefits.

Activists took to the streets of Glasgow to demand immediate action on climate change during the summit.

I am optimistic because it remains possible, technically, to keep global warming below the catastrophic 1.5° C threshold. I saw amazing technological advancements at the conference: JCB makes industrial front-end loaders with hydrogen-powered combustion engines that produce only steam, and an Australian company has developed technology to turn CO2 emissions from gas extraction into solid bricks for home construction. Let’s not be under the illusion, however, that some deus ex machina will resolve generations of destruction. I am encouraged by the interventions of the tens of thousands of activists who descended on COP demanding urgent and radical action. The walls of the conference center are thick, and the negotiators cannot hear the drums and cowbells. The demonstrators, however, are consumers, and voters, and employees, and are committed to driving change.

COP has spurred me to reflect deeply on the role that I have played in exacerbating climate change, and what I can do going forward. I am what Graham Zimmerman would call a highly “imperfect advocate.” I have taken hundreds of flights in my lifetime, I drive an internal combustion car, and I really like to eat steak burritos. I will find those things difficult to give up. Attending this conference has crystallized my thinking on a few things that I can do, and I think these are behaviors that other Tuck students can adopt as well.

Scenes from a hike around Loch Katrine in the Highlands.

Work where you can maximize the scale of your impact. Demand urgency and accountability on climate change. Tuck alumni will go on to advise multinational firms as consultants, structure transactions for financial behemoths, and rise to leadership roles in Fortune 500 companies. We are united in our goal to become wise leaders to better the world of business and can achieve more change at a global level by working for Exxon and Walmart than by joining advocacy groups and NGOs. Ask tough questions about how corporate decision-making is aligned with keeping global warming below 1.5° C.

Speak plainly and don’t get scared by jargon.  I hesitated to get involved in sustainability because I felt unqualified. Climate change is discussed in unintuitive terms: parts per million of atmospheric aerosols, intermittent vs. dispatchable power, and thousands of confusing acronyms. Don’t feel like you need to be a chemist, geologist, or meteorologist to understand what is going on. If you can read The Lorax, you can understand climate change. Embrace human-centric communication, and consider how actions create impacts on water, soil, and people.

Go outdoors.  On one of my most rewarding days at COP, I skipped the morning sessions of the conference and went hiking at Loch Katrine in the Highlands. Cold mist gave way to pale sunlight; I felt squishy humus underfoot and saw twinkling light reflecting from the minerals in the schist cliffs. The air smelled amazing. I worried that the negotiators drinking bad coffee in windowless chambers of the windowless conference center were missing out on this and would lose perspective on why their work is so important. Time spent in nature recharges me and strengthens my resolve to protect these spaces.

I am deeply grateful to the Tuck Center for Business, Government & Society and the Revers Center for Energy for funding my journey and providing this opportunity for personal growth. All views expressed above are entirely and authentically my own.

The Revers Center for Energy believes that regardless of industry, tomorrow's wise leaders will need to make informed energy, climate change, and sustainability decisions during their careers that drive innovation for a sustainable future.

The Center for Business, Government & Society (CBGS) creates and develops awareness, knowledge, skills, wisdom, and leadership on issues at the intersection of business, government, and society.
Director
Director
Send PM
Waitlisted? [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Waitlisted?

By Amy Mitson

Tuck’s commitment to maintaining a small class size means we make difficult admissions decisions within a competitive pool of applicants—including having to waitlist some compelling candidates. An offer for a slot on Tuck’s waitlist is a positive indicator of your alignment with our four admissions criteria and the overall competitiveness of your application. Among the first questions we often hear from waitlisted applicants is, “What now?” Below is some guidance on what to do to remain actively engaged with Tuck while under consideration for the subsequent admission round(s).  

Read the waitlist notification letter and respond to the waitlist offer form. First, you’ll need to decide whether you would like to remain under consideration at Tuck. We hope we can offer you admission in an upcoming round, so if your answer is YES, follow the instructions in your decision letter and reaffirm your continued interest in joining our distinctly immersive learning community. We will revisit waitlisted candidates with each subsequent round and notify you of your status thereafter. It is possible that we will ask you to remain on the waitlist following the next round. If this is the case for you, we will reach out offering you the option to recommit to your spot on the waitlist. Be sure to respond to this request if you wish to remain under consideration.  

Reflect on your application. Think about how you demonstrated each of our four criteria, and whether you see an opportunity for improvement on any of them. Maybe you could have scored higher on your GMAT or GRE. Were your goals or your rationale for your MBA as clear as they could be? Were your professional accomplishments and progression clearly articulated? Did you use the activities section of the application to provide additional depth and breadth to your extracurricular involvement during and after college? Check-in with yourself, and whether there is anything you have done since submitting your application that bolsters your strengths or addresses any of your self-perceived areas for improvement.

Consider our feedback and act on it as best as you can. After accepting your spot on the waitlist, you will receive an email from our team with additional feedback on how to strengthen your candidacy. Our feedback might confirm the results of your own reflection but could also surface actionable steps you haven’t yet considered. We suggest that you take this feedback seriously and reflect on how you might act on it. Following our recommendations does not guarantee admission, but it will likely strengthen your application within a competitive pool of applicants. In some cases, there may be nothing you can do to strengthen your application but wait. Due to our personal scale and our commitment to maintaining a small student body, we can’t offer admission to all of the wonderful candidates who apply. While waiting might at times feel like the most challenging part of the application process, please know we are sincere in our feedback if there are no recommended steps. 

Update us with important information. We remain committed to being accessible and transparent throughout your time on the waitlist. If you have new information to share with us that substantially adds to your candidacy (updated test scores, significant new work accomplishment, etc.), let us know via the waitlist update portal on your candidate status page. These updates will be added to your application for consideration. And if you do not have new information to add, that is okay too. If we have questions or require additional information, we will contact you, so be sure to update us if there are any changes to your contact information. Lastly, over the course of your time on the waitlist, you may decide to pursue other opportunities that preclude you from enrolling at Tuck. If this is the case, please let us know you wish to remove yourself from consideration. 

Be patient. This might be the most difficult part of the process. Follow our recommendations, do your best to manage stress and anxiety, and trust the process. Demonstrating good judgment while on the waitlist is further evidence of the Aware criterion; please be mindful of the number of updates and check-ins. Some candidates will remain on the waitlist for more than one application round and into the summer months. If you receive additional emails or requests from us, respond promptly and by the deadlines communicated to you. Consider what steps you would need to take to matriculate at Tuck and leave your employer in good standing should you receive an offer of admission in late summer. 

We know waiting can be hard, and we hope this guidance alleviates some anxiety and provides additional clarity. We encourage you to look at the Waitlist FAQ for additional insights. 

We recognize your potential to contribute and thrive at Tuck, and we look forward to staying in touch!
Director
Director
Send PM
All In: The December Edition with Tuck Admissions Director Amy Mitson [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: All In: The December Edition with Tuck Admissions Director Amy Mitson

By Amy Mitson

Each month, Amy Mitson, co-executive director of Tuck Admissions, will be here on the Tuck360 Blog to share the latest news, insights, and advice from Admissions. We look forward to getting to know you and sharing what makes the Tuck MBA experience distinct. As Teo Gonzalez T’21 puts it: “Tuck is a place where everyone can be 'all in.' When you commit to this experience, you commit to two years when all your focus is on yourself, your teammates, and your craft."

A few coffee chats ago I proclaimed that there were more leaves than people in Hanover. While true for a moment, fall leaves have given way to snowflakes and it continues to be a beautiful time of year.

Sometimes in the bustle of application season, we forget to take a moment to enjoy the Upper Valley. I took a moment to breathe just before Thanksgiving and shut down my computer mid-afternoon to take a long walk at Poverty Lane Orchards. Walking among the apple trees under a perfectly blue sky, I couldn’t help but feel rejuvenated. The change of the season was in the air, and with it, the anticipation that propels the academic calendar, and our admissions work, from one cycle to the next.

Refreshed by my late fall stroll, I returned to my computer later that evening to read some of your applications and was filled with immense gratitude. As our admissions team progressed through Round 1 evaluations this fall, we were all consistently in awe of your thoughtful applications. Thank you for sharing your powerful personal and professional stories, and how you plan to spend your two years at Tuck and beyond.

Whether it was the fresh autumn air or your impressive applications, I have been feeling particularly inspired. Read on for ways our tight-knit community is engaging with and inspiring one another this season.

In Tuck Admissions, we concluded three successful hybrid conferences this fall—Military Visit Day, the Diversity Conference, and the Women in Business Conference. My team and I were thrilled to be able to connect with applicants, current students, and alumni in person and virtually during each conference. For those of you who joined virtually or are looking for ways to continue learning about Tuck, a conversation with a Tuck Ambassador is a great way to discover more about our distinct learning community.

We were also excited to learn that the Global Insight Expeditions (GIX) are back on the academic calendar after a brief hiatus due to travel restrictions imposed by the pandemic. While there are numerous ways to meet the global learning requirement at Tuck, our faculty recently shared spring 2022 GIX options for students. From Norway to Denmark, to the UAE, interested first- and second-year students will have the chance to explore a variety of sectors from sustainability in Germany, to entrepreneurship in Israel, alongside their classmates and faculty.

From seriously supportive to purely social, the opportunities for community connections have been numerous. Amidst resume prep and mid-terms for first-year students, and the completion of Fall Term for second-year students, calendars have been full. Professors Jennifer Dannals and Dan Feiler partnered with our Women in Business club to lead a negotiations roundtable, and Professor Paul Argenti and a student team shared research on Corporate Purpose. Also, second-year students led the annual “Passing the Torch” session which provides a safe forum for second-years to reflect on their experiences and share some wisdom with first-years on navigating relationships, recruiting, academics, and social life at Tuck.

Consistently ranked a top community event at Tuck, our special Tuck Talks event series returned to an in-person format, with five students sharing their personal journeys and stories with the Tuck community. The Tuck Africa and Tuck Asia clubs hosted a wine gala in partnership with T’89 Zdenek Bakala and Dean Slaughter partnered with the Tuck Veterans Club to host the annual Microbrews and the Military gathering in honor of Veteran’s Day. And to raise awareness around men's health issues, the Mental Health and Wellness Initiative partnered with Tuck Basketball for the annual Movember event.

The Tuck community also came together to celebrate the start of the holiday season. Tuck Diwali was wonderfully festive with customary food, drink, and dancing! From Diwali, we headed into Tucksgiving. This annual event was started by a Tuck student in 2014 and has grown into a community celebration for students, partners, faculty, staff, and families who are in the Upper Valley over Thanksgiving. This event has taken on many forms over the years, from groups of five or ten at the homes of faculty and staff, to a dinner for 85 in Stell Hall. Our student-managed Tuck Stuff store is stocked for the holidays and Dean Slaughter will lead the annual holiday toast to celebrate the accomplishments of our T’23 class as the term concludes on December 14.

For some of you who have already applied, we hope you are enjoying the break from test prep and essay writing. We are thinking of you and commend you for the brave steps you have taken on this MBA journey. To help you make the most of this newfound free time, here are five opportunities to learn more about members of the Tuck community:

1. Listen to Sydcast—A podcast hosted by award-winning Tuck professor Sydney Finkelstein who hosts intimate and informative conversations with fascinating people you may not know.

2. Check out our If You Knew Me Podcast—Each episode features an intimate conversation with founder and host Lia Parker-Belfer T'22 and another current student, and is focused on deepening student connections and fostering a culture of belonging at the Tuck School.

3. Get inspired by Kate Jhaveri T'03, CMO of the NBA—Watch the .

4. Read the most recent Slaughter and Rees Report—In this missive, Dean Matthew Slaughter and co-author Matthew Rees discuss the Great Resignation and its impact on policy going forward.

4. Listen to Ella Bell Smith in conversation with Gwyneth Paltrow—They discuss Ella’s book, Our Separate Ways: Black and White Women and the Struggle for Professional Identity, which was recently re-released and uncovers how race and gender shape our workplaces, careers, and relationships with our colleagues. Ella will inspire you to keep exploring this topic.

For Round 2 applicants, we are committed to supporting your application efforts. Join us this month for answers, advice, and perspective before you hit submit. Tuck students are available throughout December and are hosting coffee chats that will inform and illuminate your perspective on the Tuck experience. The admissions committee will lead specific AMA sessions on the application process and answer any lingering questions so you can feel confident as you work toward the Round 2 deadline.

Until we see or hear from you next, enjoy the change of season wherever you are in the world. Spend some time outdoors and take a moment to reflect and celebrate everything that has brought you to this moment.

Director
Director
Send PM
Career Services Insights: The General Manager Skillset [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Career Services Insights: The General Manager Skillset

By Tuck Career Services

Many prospective students are drawn to Tuck by the opportunity to develop a general manager skillset. Join Tuck Career Services' Marc Aquila T’07 and Andy Kaestle T'17 in conversation as they explore the various career paths that enable Tuck MBAs to develop a well-rounded business skillset, the advantages of each, and how to give yourself the best chance at successfully pursuing these roles. Marc draws on his own experience successfully landing a spot in John Deere’s management development program, and many years of working with Tuckies to secure jobs at some of the most recognizable and sought-after organizations in the world.

Episode 2: The General Manager Skillset

Marc Aquila T’07, Director, Business Development, Tuck Career Services

pathways of recent Tuck graduates to learn more about how each leveraged their time at Tuck, as well as the roles they entered in their post-MBA journeys.

Additional Insights from Career Services

Join Andy Kaestle T'17, associate director of Career Services, as he speaks with fellow team members about their expertise, including tips for submitting your best job application possible, networking tips, and career exploration.

Listen to more episodes
Director
Director
Send PM
If You Knew Me: Connecting During COVID [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: If You Knew Me: Connecting During COVID

By Lia Parker-Belfer T'22

The Class of 2022 began our first year under unique circumstances: an immediate two-week quarantine, a virtual Tuck Launch, a term of Zoom classes, and vaccines still months away. During Fall A, leaving the classroom meant waving goodbye at your laptop camera. For those living in the dorms, walking to the laundry room was the most social part of our day. It became clear to T’22s that our first year would be unlike any other. Meeting peers and forging friendships would require an extra level of intentionality and creativity.

After many fruitless “how to develop meaningful relationships during a global pandemic” Google searches, the idea for a podcast came to me. The If You Knew Me (IYKM) podcast aims to deepen understandings, broaden perspectives, illuminate surprising connections, and spark meaningful conversation among Tuck’s diverse student body. Each episode starts with a current Tuckie finishing the statement, “If you knew me, you would know…” and involves them sharing something about themselves that their classmates may otherwise never uncover. For example, in Season 1, we learn that Vish Mehta T’22 identifies as a mad scientist, and Guarav Mittal T’21 learned to play bridge to fund his pre-Tuck business venture.

Creating IYKM has been one of the highlights of my time at Tuck, and as I begin to transition the podcast to Tuckies in the Class of 2023, I have taken a moment to reflect on the three seasons and twenty-seven episodes I hosted and produced. I am inspired by my classmates and proud of what IYKM accomplished. The purpose of the podcast is to deepen student connections and foster a culture of belonging at Tuck, and I now regularly hear from classmates who say the podcast helped them connect with other Tuckies, from prospective students who say the podcast served as a way to get to know Tuck, and from other graduate students who say they hope to start similar podcasts at their respective schools.

Most importantly, it took a village to make IYKM a reality, and I am so thankful for everyone who gave their time, support, and expertise. First and foremost, thank you to the IYKM guests who courageously said yes to being on the podcast and shared their stories. Additionally, I am grateful for Roderick Milligan T’21 and Dean Dia Draper, both of whom supported the vision from day one; Tuck Communications' Rebecca Waters and Justine Crowling, who helped with podcast mechanics and marketing; and my Tuck Partner, Alex Mitko, who edited each episode from Baltimore, Maryland. Last, but certainly not least, thank you to Hanah Bae T’23, Jasmine Joda T’23, and Theresa McCartney T’23, who are taking over the podcast as I prepare to graduate in June. I can’t wait to see how they grow the podcast and increase its impact within the Tuck community and beyond. I look forward to tuning in from afar!  

If You Knew Me is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts.

Recent Episodes

Katherine Britt, T’21

Katherine grew up in a very creative household. Listen to learn how her parents and childhood influenced her appreciation for art and what her dream job is.

Eric ​​Lukas, T’21

Eric is intentional about how he engages in conversations and interactions with other people. Listen to learn how and why he makes a point of remembering the people he meets and the way they made him feel.

Elena Nikvashvili T'22

Elena saved stray puppies during Tuck Launch. Listen to hear what she did and how the experience inspired her to pursue a career in healthcare.

Oscar Pearson T’21

Oscar chooses to live a simplistic life. Listen to hear Oscar describe his values and how they manifest in his daily life.

Susie Peerson T’22

Susie is a Slovak folk dancer. Listen to learn about Susie’s personal connection with the tradition and hear her describe many of the unique dance styles and costumes.

Natalie Omondi T’22

In 2016, Natalie started a wig business in Kenya. Listen to hear about how Natalie’s hair journey inspired her to start her own business and the lessons she learned from the experience.
Director
Director
Send PM
Career Services Insights: Resumes and Cover Letters [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Career Services Insights: Resumes and Cover Letters

By Tuck Career Services

Age-old wisdom suggests that being offered a job is the result of acing an interview, but landing the interview requires submitting application materials that position you as a differentiated and well-suited candidate. The Career Services Insights podcast caught up with our team’s resident resume guru Mathias Machado T’09 to discuss the role resumes and cover letters play in the application process, what employers are looking for in each, and how job-seekers can maximize their chances of securing an interview. We also touch on what candidates should know about the latest automated screening software, social media presence, and some of the most commonly made missteps that can derail one’s candidacy.

Episode 3: Exploring Your Application Materials

Mathias Machado T’09, Director, Career Services and Resources, Tuck Career Services

pathways of recent Tuck graduates to learn more about how each leveraged their time at Tuck, as well as the roles they entered in their post-MBA journeys.

Join Andy Kaestle T'17, associate director of Career Services, as he speaks with fellow team members about their expertise, including networking and career exploration tips.

Listen to more episodes
Director
Director
Send PM
Tuck Mentors: Building Meaningful Relationships Across the Dartmouth C [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuck Mentors: Building Meaningful Relationships Across the Dartmouth Community

By Elizabeth DuChene T’22 and Joe Bourque T’22

Tuck Mentors is an organization dedicated to empowering undergraduate and MBA students to build meaningful professional relationships across the Dartmouth community. Formerly known as the Dartmouth Professional Insights Network, the program was founded in 2017 by Meghan McDavid D’10, T’18 and Alison Byrne Donnally T’18.

How can students get involved? (Both as a mentor and a mentee)

The best and most meaningful way to get involved is through our mentorship program. This program pairs a Tuck student with an undergraduate student based on any number of criteria of interest like career focus, background, hobbies, etc. The program runs a full year from one spring semester to the next so that undergraduate students have a mentor available to them as they prepare for and engage in their summer internships. This program is by application – submit one to tell us why you want to get involved with the program (either as a mentor or mentee) and we’ll set you up for the next round of pairings in the spring. We’ll announce when our applications are live.

There are also ways to get involved outside of the mentorship program. We’ll be hosting some career dinners later this winter and spring where we’ll connect Tuck students in a particular field with undergraduates who are interested in pursuing a career in that area. These events are open to everyone–no need to be a mentee to sign up!

"My mentee was navigating a situation at her internship and felt comfortable enough to call me and ask for advice on dealing with it. I felt very proud of the relationship we had built—that she chose to come to me for advice when she could have asked anyone."

Sammi DiBella

How are mentor/mentee pairings made?

Mentor/mentee pairings are made by hand by the Tuck Mentors co-chairs. We invite applicants on both sides to tell us what criteria would make a mentorship pairing most meaningful to them. While this is most often based on experience and career interests, we have also made pairings based on shared background, ethnicity, hobbies, LGTBQIA+ status, or even experiences like being a first-generation college student.

While it’s often clear how mentees benefit, how do you think mentors most benefit from the program?

Our mentors get as much out of the program as our mentees! People come to Tuck from a variety of backgrounds and are excited to share what they have learned with younger students entering the first stages of their careers. One of the Tuck admission criteria is to be encouraging and empathetic to others, and Tuckies are excited to leverage that quality to give back, particularly within the broader Dartmouth community.

Do you have a favorite memory from your time with Tuck Mentors?

Elizabeth: My favorite moment was when I walked down Main Street one day and caught a friend of mine from Tuck grabbing coffee with her mentee! The two were having a great conversation and knowing that we did our part to make that relationship happen was really exciting.

Joe: I’d say my favorite moment was hosting a career panel for the Dartmouth football team. We hosted a variety of career-related panels over dinner last year, but they all had to be on Zoom. Being in the room with everyone and seeing the undergraduate students’ eagerness to learn about careers and life after college was very energizing.

Stacy: My favorite moment from my time as a Tuck Mentor has been having the opportunity to build a relationship with my mentee. We were initially paired in the spring of last year, so we were only able to meet on Zoom since she was not on campus. We had some great virtual conversations throughout the spring and summer and were finally able to meet in person for coffee in the fall. It was great to hear about what was going on in the undergraduate world and share a little bit about what we were learning in our Tuck classes!

Sammi: My favorite memory was receiving a phone call over the summer from my mentee.  She was navigating a situation at her internship and felt comfortable enough to call me and ask for advice on dealing with it. I felt very proud of the relationship we had built—that she chose to come to me for advice when she could have asked anyone. It was a very rewarding moment to see the purpose of the program really come to life.

How have you adapted the program during the pandemic?

We adapted our mentorship program by moving all meetings and events to Zoom. While it can be a challenge to build relationships in a Zoom room versus in person, we think everyone has risen to the challenge and found success. Additionally, we’ve been unable to host some larger events like career fairs or things of that nature, so instead, we’ve transitioned to smaller group breakout rooms on Zoom to facilitate some of that one-on-one discussion.

Do you have any upcoming programming or events?

We’ll be kicking off our 2022-2023 mentorship pairing process this winter. Our first event is our Tuck Tails kickoff event happening on February 10th. We’ll also be scheduling some undergraduate career dinners later this winter, so stay tuned for those as well.

Anything else you’d like to share?

If you’re even considering joining Tuck Mentors, as a mentee or a mentor, please give it a shot! It is a great way to get involved with the Dartmouth community, meet people you may not have met otherwise, and learn something new. We have gotten great feedback from those who have participated in the past, and we’d love to get even more people involved going forward. And as always, reach out to our group or to any of our co-chairs individually if you have questions.

• Joe Bourque T'22 | Email
  • Sammi DiBella T'22 | Email
  • Elizabeth DuChene T'22 | Email
  • Alexandra Fricke T'232 | Email
  • Stacy Nelson T'22 | Email
  • Madeline Westover T'23 | Email
Director
Director
Send PM
Exploring the Business of Energy [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Exploring the Business of Energy

By Eric Lukas T’21

When I became a student fellow of the Revers Center for Energy, Sustainability and Innovation in the spring of 2020, I was excited by the prospect of helping to shape the energy industry conversation on campus. The Revers Center’s activities were an important part of my decision to apply to and attend Tuck, and I wanted to help further the Center’s mission of making Tuck the “preeminent business school for learning practical leadership in the energy industry.” Each Revers Center student fellow must complete a project, and my idea for a podcast struck while reflecting on the many outstanding conversations about energy I had with industry leaders, alumni, and fellow students at Tuck.

The energy industry encompasses a broad and diverse range of businesses—from oil and gas production, petroleum refining, and power generation to electricity transmission and energy efficiency technologies. Over the past decade, the energy sector has been undergoing a seismic change as renewable energy has become cleaner and more mainstream, and investors and consumers have demanded more efficient energy processes. I wanted to bring conversations on these topics to a wider audience—envisioning the podcast as a way to bolster the profile of the Revers Center to prospective Tuck students, alumni, and industry leaders while encouraging business school students and young professionals to consider careers in energy. The mission of the podcast, Tuck Energy Currents, became to “elevate the energy conversation at Tuck, Dartmouth, and beyond by exploring industry trends and career pathways across the energy sector.” 

I drew my initial guest list from contacts I made at Revers Center events during my two years at Tuck, as well as through my experience as a Private Equity Fellow at the Tuck Center for Private Equity and Venture Capital (CPEVC). I had developed a career interest in energy finance and the future of energy infrastructure and was simultaneously working on a CPEVC fellows project on private equity investment in the power industry. Consequently, several of my podcast guests had a finance background or were involved in energy infrastructure investment. My guests included a classmate who started a solar panel hardware manufacturing business, the CEOs of a leading independent power producer and a major petrochemical manufacturer, and the founding benefactor of the Revers Center, Dan Revers T’89

The first season of Tuck Energy Currents consists of 12 episodes that will be released throughout the winter. My guests and I explore the changing nature of private investment in energy infrastructure, the growth of investment in renewable power generation, the role of green banks to bring clean energy technologies to underserved communities, and the future of the electricity grid. 

Tuck Energy Currents episodes typically begin with my guest outlining the path to their current role, followed by explorations of their business, and the economic, environmental, and industry trends shaping their branch of the energy industry. Each episode concludes with guidance to audience members on pursuing careers in energy. While our initial target audience is young professionals, I think that the conversations will eventually attract a general audience interested in the business of energy. 

I started Tuck Energy Currents as an initiative that would outlive my time at Tuck, and I am very pleased to announce that a group of T’22 students is working to produce the next season of the program. Umut Asikoglu T’22, Justin Meier T’22, and Susie Peerson T’22 will be selecting guests, handling hosting duties, and editing the next series of episodes, and I cannot wait to see the imprint they make on the podcast.

I would like to thank April Salas of the Revers Center and Jim Feuille of the CPEVC for encouraging me to get this project off the ground. Thanks also go to Umut, Justin, and Susie for helping to edit podcast episodes and carrying the program into its second season. Finally, a very special thanks to Madeleine Bothe of the Revers Center for guiding me through every step of the production process. I am thrilled to contribute Tuck Energy Currents to the Revers Center, and I hope the podcast will continue to strengthen the Center as a premier venue for business school students to explore the energy sector. Happy listening!

Episodes are available on the Revers Center website, Apple Podcasts, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Stitcher, and other major podcast distribution platforms.

Eric Lukas is a 2021 graduate of the Tuck School of Business, where he was a Revers Center for Energy Fellow and a Private Equity Fellow. He is an associate with the Power & Utilities investment banking group at Barclays and is based in New York.
Director
Director
Send PM
Exploring the Business of Energy Through a New Podcast [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Exploring the Business of Energy Through a New Podcast

By Eric Lukas T’21

When I became a student fellow of the Revers Center for Energy, Sustainability and Innovation in the spring of 2020, I was excited by the prospect of helping to shape the energy industry conversation on campus. The Revers Center’s activities were an important part of my decision to apply to and attend Tuck, and I wanted to help further the Center’s mission of making Tuck the “preeminent business school for learning practical leadership in the energy industry.” Each Revers Center student fellow must complete a project, and my idea for a podcast struck while reflecting on the many outstanding conversations about energy I had with industry leaders, alumni, and fellow students at Tuck.

The energy industry encompasses a broad and diverse range of businesses—from oil and gas production, petroleum refining, and power generation to electricity transmission and energy efficiency technologies. Over the past decade, the energy sector has been undergoing a seismic change as renewable energy has become cleaner and more mainstream, and investors and consumers have demanded more efficient energy processes. I wanted to bring conversations on these topics to a wider audience—envisioning the podcast as a way to bolster the profile of the Revers Center to prospective Tuck students, alumni, and industry leaders while encouraging business school students and young professionals to consider careers in energy. The mission of the podcast, Tuck Energy Currents, became to “elevate the energy conversation at Tuck, Dartmouth, and beyond by exploring industry trends and career pathways across the energy sector.” 

I drew my initial guest list from contacts I made at Revers Center events during my two years at Tuck, as well as through my experience as a Private Equity Fellow at the Tuck Center for Private Equity and Venture Capital (CPEVC). I had developed a career interest in energy finance and the future of energy infrastructure and was simultaneously working on a CPEVC fellows project on private equity investment in the power industry. Consequently, several of my podcast guests had a finance background or were involved in energy infrastructure investment. My guests included a classmate who started a solar panel hardware manufacturing business, the CEOs of a leading independent power producer and a major petrochemical manufacturer, and the founding benefactor of the Revers Center, Dan Revers T’89

The first season of Tuck Energy Currents consists of 12 episodes that will be released throughout the winter. My guests and I explore the changing nature of private investment in energy infrastructure, the growth of investment in renewable power generation, the role of green banks to bring clean energy technologies to underserved communities, and the future of the electricity grid. 

Tuck Energy Currents episodes typically begin with my guest outlining the path to their current role, followed by explorations of their business, and the economic, environmental, and industry trends shaping their branch of the energy industry. Each episode concludes with guidance to audience members on pursuing careers in energy. While our initial target audience is young professionals, I think that the conversations will eventually attract a general audience interested in the business of energy. 

I started Tuck Energy Currents as an initiative that would outlive my time at Tuck, and I am very pleased to announce that a group of T’22 students is working to produce the next season of the program. Umut Asikoglu T’22, Justin Meier T’22, and Susie Peerson T’22 will be selecting guests, handling hosting duties, and editing the next series of episodes, and I cannot wait to see the imprint they make on the podcast.

I would like to thank April Salas of the Revers Center and Jim Feuille of the CPEVC for encouraging me to get this project off the ground. Thanks also go to Umut, Justin, and Susie for helping to edit podcast episodes and carrying the program into its second season. Finally, a very special thanks to Madeleine Bothe of the Revers Center for guiding me through every step of the production process. I am thrilled to contribute Tuck Energy Currents to the Revers Center, and I hope the podcast will continue to strengthen the Center as a premier venue for business school students to explore the energy sector. Happy listening!

Episodes are available on the Revers Center website, Apple Podcasts, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Stitcher, and other major podcast distribution platforms.

Eric Lukas is a 2021 graduate of the Tuck School of Business, where he was a Revers Center for Energy Fellow and a Private Equity Fellow. He is an associate with the Power & Utilities investment banking group at Barclays and is based in New York.
Director
Director
Send PM
February Update on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the Tuck School [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: February Update on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the Tuck School

By Dia Draper, Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion

After the release of our DEI Strategic Review and Action Plan in October, we spent the fall term forging deeper connections with T’22s in-person after a year of hybrid connection, as well as T’23s who arrived in August with contagious energy and excitement. Our priorities were to launch the new Tuck DEI website, deliver student-focused fall term programming and events, assess our communication around DEI issues, and begin to build a sustainable infrastructure to support the next phase of our work: implementing the Action Plan.  

There is so much to do—and we want to do it all now, fast, and simultaneously—but we also know this is not realistic. Thus, we continue the work, making progress day-by-day while tending to the current needs of the community. The DEI team was energized by the chance to work with students, faculty, and staff to bring dynamic programs to Tuck this fall. From Dr. Terence Roberts’ keynote address for the Tuck Diversity Conference to T’03 Kate Jhaveri’s down-to-earth yet inspiring keynote for the Women in Business Conference.  

We were fortunate to have Jerry Won, a Tuck community favorite, visit Hanover in September to share his story and challenge students to live authentically and align their values with the culture of the organizations they work with post-MBA. In October, the Student Board requested that all newly elected members join one of the Implicit Bias workshops offered by Kara Wakefield of Dartmouth’s Office of Institutional Diversity & Equity. In November, students learned the “5 Ds” of bystander intervention, using case studies and discussion to add actionable tools and solutions to their inclusive leadership skillsets. Finally, we owe a debt of gratitude to the student co-chairs of the Mental Health & Wellness Initiative (MHWI) for their hard work getting the newest group of Peer Support Counselors through the required training in Mental Health First Aid and Suicide Prevention. 

We also made space for the tough conversations and the times when we did not get it right. One example is how T’23 students came together for two “Real Talk” sessions after students expressed the need for structured, moderated discussions on the heels of a controversial DEI session during Tuck Launch.  

These are just a few of the ways that student and alumni feedback have influenced the training, programs, and events that we bring to the community. On the heels of another uplifting celebration of the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. earlier this month, we are excited to welcome Black Legacy Month 2022, Lunar New Year, and the opportunities to learn, grow, and be together. 

Wishing you well, 

Dia 

Dia Draper (she/her)

Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion

Many Voices. One Tuck. 

Inspiring Moment of the Month

Jodi-Ann Burey

We are fortunate to host many wonderful guest speakers at Tuck throughout the academic year. The opportunity to learn from and through the experiences of some of the most dynamic people in business and academia is one of the great benefits of higher education.

Thanks to Katy Milligan D’90, T’07, program director for Dartmouth’s Master of Health Care Delivery Science (MHCDS), we were fortunate to welcome TED speaker, podcaster, creator, and health equity advocate Jodi-Ann Burey as our featured speaker for the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. Burey works at the intersections of race, culture, and health and draws from education, global health, entrepreneurship, and other disciplines in her work, yielding intelligent, relatable, and inspiring connections with her audience. 

Burey shared her experiences with students in both the MHCDS, and MBA programs. Her keynote address for MHCDS participants, who were in residence during her visit, was a masterclass in storytelling. During her visit, Burey also met with members of the Black Students Association at Tuck (BSAT) over breakfast and ended her visit by meeting students from the Center for Health Care and executive director Suzie Rubin. Burey answered questions ranging from navigating and checking bias (our own and others’), to imposter syndrome and living life on your own terms.  

Burey’s honest, vulnerable, and often humorous depictions of her journey to and through cancer survivorship was a gift. She shared the ways that the health care system and the professionals that care for us are frequently biased against women, folks with few financial resources, and people of color—often with dire consequences. Burey was able to challenge us to find ways to disrupt those biases while also sharing stories of compassion, connection, and hope. 

We highly recommend her TED talk on “The Myth of Bringing Your Full Authentic Self to Work”

Recommended Listening

Jodi-Ann Burey Podcasts:

DE&I Community News

We are excited to announce the formation of the inaugural IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity in Action) Committee at Tuck. This committee will serve as an advisory body to Dean Draper and Dean Slaughter as we take action on the findings and recommendations of our DEI Strategic Review and the focus areas of our DEI Action Plan. Committee members include students, staff, faculty, and alumni who will contribute their unique perspectives, experiences, skills, and insights to the group via discussion and feedback. The committee will help support Tuck’s commitment to inclusive excellence in the execution of the School’s mission across our community, culture, and curriculum. 

2022 IDEA Committee Members

Jazmine Brite T'22

Sean Chu T'23

Dia Draper (Co-Chair)

Reuben Hampton T'20

Sam Haws T'23

Stephanie Hernandez T'23

Adam Kleinbaum 

Sohini Kundu T'23

Lindsey Leininger

Margaux Lohry

Vincent Mack

Lisa Miller

Lesley Nesbitt

Matt Slaughter (Co-Chair)

Kevin White T'22

Tuck Association of Diverse Alumni (TADA) Looks Ahead to 2022 Plans

Though the emergence of Omicron meant 2022 rang in quietly, the New Year is still an opportunity for a fresh start. We wish you health, happiness, and success in 2022 and all the good things to come! Here are some timely updates from TADA to start off the New Year right.

TADA will host our first-ever alumni diversity conference in 2022. As we plan event details and finalize logistics, we’d love your input on conference dates and location. Please take 30 seconds to complete this survey to share your preferences.

We are also seeking two additional TADA co-chairs, as well as regional leads to host local meetups. (Drinks are always on us!) If you have passion for and a commitment to DEI at Tuck and are curious about getting more involved, email us at hellotada.tuck@gmail.com.

Cheers,

Lisha Davis T’10 

Ramsey Jay Jr. T’05 

Joanna Jen T’08 

TADA Co-chairs 

Next50 Expands, Welcoming New Student Fellows and Associates

Next50, now a program under Tuck’s DEI initiatives and Dean Draper’s leadership, expanded to a team of 12 fellows and 15 associates who are working with Tuck faculty, administration, and students. This year’s fellows and associates are leading the following initiatives: writing cases that include diverse protagonists, working with faculty to add more diverse examples to the curriculum, and creating a toolkit to facilitate this work. Next50 is also launching a DEI-focused case competition thanks to a generous alumni gift from Win D’72 T’73 and Christie Neuger. We look forward to a bright and productive year ahead with a fantastic and passionate team! 

Next50 Fellows

Tabitha Bennett T’22 (Co-Chair)

Emily Blau T’22

Shimoli Gandhi T’22

Jasmine Joda T’23

Megan Lynch T’23

Devu Nair T’23

Sherry Yang T’23

Prathyusha Yeluri T’23

Next50 Associates

Saleha Ahmed T’23

Jessica Capwell T’23

Sam Haws T’23

Gissell Castellon, T’22 (Co-Chair)

Caroline Carey T’22

Sansha Cornelio T’23

Lindsay Cox T’22 (Co-Chair)

Destinée Mentor-Richards T’23

Elizabeth Raboy T’23

Carson Taylor T’23

Jordan Figueroa T’23

Seare Kidane T’23

Jillian Di Filippo T’22

Ava Giglio T’23

Daphne Feng T’23

Divya Bobra T’23

Sara Seaman T’22

Annie Boardman T’23

Joanna Morgan T’23

A New Club at Tuck: Introducing LIFT

Before this academic year, Tuck did not have formal communities for students who came from low-income families or were the first in their families to pursue higher education. A group of T’22s and T’23s collaborated over the summer and fall terms to propose and ultimately secure recognition of LIFT: Low Income and First-Generation at Tuck. This club aims to provide a space for open conversation as well as resources to enable academic and professional success.

An inaugural dinner and community forum was held in the fall term, with more events to come. Stay tuned, or contact Alan Rice T’23, Andrew Key T’23, or Jonathan Diaz T’22 for more information!

Student Board Election Results

The recent T’23 Student Board election yielded Tuck’s first African American female Vice President, Destinée Mentor-Richards, and resulted in a record number of Consortium students on the board. Congratulations to all elected students!

Vice President: Destinée Mentor-Richards 

Judicial Board: Catherine Wetlinski & McKenzie Hunt 

Treasurer: Alfredo Baudet Haddad 

Social Chairs: Rob Eckstein & Sam Haws 

Quality of Life Chair: Sabira Rakhimova 

DE&I Chair: Jasmine Joda 

Academic Chair: Mitchell Jacobs 

Club Chair: Oye Odewunmi 

Career Chair: Geet Kalra 

Tech Chair: Carly Wolberg 

International Chair: Sansha Cornelio

Dartmouth Welcomes Chloe Poston to the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity (IDE)

Chloe (pronounced with a silent ‘e’) joined the Office of IDE as associate vice president of strategic initiatives in July 2021. She comes to Dartmouth from a similar role at Brown University, where she also earned her PhD in chemistry. 

Chloe is leading the newly organized diversity and inclusion team and will also help develop a campus-wide strategic plan for diversity, with the goal to create a more welcoming, inclusive, and equitable learning and working environment across Dartmouth.

Learn more about Chloe and her important work at Dartmouth.

DE&I Student Co-Chair Corner

With Becky Timmons T’22 and Jasmine Joda T’23 

We are excited to serve as the new DEI student co-chairs! This year, we are focused on increasing DEI learning opportunities at Tuck. We’ve held internal bias and bystander intervention trainings this academic year and are looking forward to piloting different types of sessions—such as simulation games— and providing incentive-based programming to reward individuals doing the work to become more aware and educated allies. We’re also working to increase a sense of belonging for students at Tuck. We launched a coffee chat initiative called “Tell Me More” to encourage connections across the student community and will be launching an anonymous dropbox called “Community Corner” to provide students a structured process for giving suggestions and feedback on issues, topics, programs and events related to DEI at Tuck.

We’re also looking forward to launching a Return on Inclusion (ROI) Fund to promote events that are focused on creating unique experiences and fostering a sense of belonging in the Tuck community.  

Becky is originally from Newtown, Connecticut and earned her BS in Management from the University of Connecticut. Prior to Tuck, she was a digital marketing manager at Achievement Network, an education nonprofit. Jasmine is originally from Bloomington, Illinois and earned her BS in Accountancy from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Prior to Tuck, she was a management consultant at Accenture. 

History, Heritage, Honor and Upcoming Events

Black Legacy Month

Throughout the month of February, the Tuck and Dartmouth communities will offer a number of events and programs to celebrate BLM. Keep checking for upcoming events in celebration of Black Legacy Month at Tuck and Dartmouth, including:

• January 30: Black Student Association (BSAT) Film, The Harder They Fall
  • January 31: Speed Stories with Senior Diversity Officer Shontay Delalue
  • February 3: Haiti Roundtable - Beyond the Headlines
  • February 3: Black Legacy Month TuckTails Hosted by BSAT
  • February 6: Field Day
  • February 23: Dartmouth Alumni Panel including Nykia Wright T'09
  • February 24: Film: Freda, Sponsored by AAAS
  • February 25–27: Black Ski Weekend
  • Throughout February: Black Excellence Banner Spotlight around the Dartmouth Green

The purpose of Black Legacy Month is to recognize the Black experience, explore topical issues in the Black community while giving context to a vision of what the Black future could be, and engage the Dartmouth community in an appreciation for all that Black people have contributed to the campus and the world at large.

Lunar New Year

According to Diversity for Social Impact more than 1.5 billion people around the world celebrate Lunar New Year. This year, Lunar New Year is on February 1, 2022. In Chinese culture, it is a 15-day celebration. In Vietnam, Tết Nguyên Đán lasts for up to a week. In South Korea, Seollal lasts for three days. Learn about the festival traditions, popular foods, and decorations. Check out the top 10 things to know about Lunar New Year and how to wish someone a ‘Happy New Year’ in Chinese.

Upcoming Lunar New Year events:

• January 31: Dumpling Night
  • February 4: Hot Pot Small Group Dinner
  • February 2: Tuck Mahjong Night
  • February 8: Hezi For Dinner with artist and chef Cai Xi, hosted by The HOP

In Case You Missed It

In December 2021, a group of T’22s embarked on the TuckGO course “Freedom Riders 2021: Unpacking Systemic Racism in America and Its Impact for Leadership” led by Professors Ella Bell Smith and Adam Kleinbaum. The group traveled to Washington, D.C.; Charlotte, NC; Atlanta, GA; and Montgomery, AL, visiting important cultural and heritage sites, meeting with business, academic, and civic leaders, and spending time in fellowship and reflection.

As part of the GIX, Tuck students and faculty visited the The National Memorial for Peace and Justice in Montgomery, AL.
Director
Director
Send PM
Career Services Insights: Networking Tips [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Career Services Insights: Networking Tips

By Tuck Career Services

Networking is often viewed as something that only benefits the employer. Join Deirdre O’Donnell to learn how you can leverage networking to learn about potential employers, highlight your skills and experience, as well as start to build relationships with future co-workers. Deirdre opens up about the pivotal role networking played in launching and advancing her 25-year career at Lehman Brothers, as well as the common pitfalls she sees students make when navigating the networking process.

Episode 4: Networking Tips

Deirdre O’Donnell, Director, MBA Career Services and Advising, Tuck Career Services

Tuck alumni, including Michael Carusi T'93, who shares his favorite networking tips.[/*]
[*]Meet four T'22s who secured internships in industries outside of their pre-Tuck experience thanks in part to networking.[/*]
[/list]

Join Andy Kaestle T'17, associate director of Career Services, as he speaks with fellow team members about their expertise, including networking and career exploration tips.

Listen to more episodes
GMAT Club Bot
Career Services Insights: Networking Tips [#permalink]
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   
Moderators:
Stanford and Tuck Moderator
57 posts
Tuck School Moderator
127 posts