Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
General MGMT sounds really good.

But do they really give that position out to fresh MBAs? And if they do, is it really management or just a title that sounds good. I can't imagine they make fresh MBAs vice president.

I dont know... one of the guys I met was going to some firm to be Director of something .... sounded hella impressive to me.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

But do they really give that position out to fresh MBAs? And if they do, is it really management or just a title that sounds good. I can't imagine they make fresh MBAs vice president.

I dont know... one of the guys I met was going to some firm to be Director of something .... sounded hella impressive to me.

LOL. You said "hella." You from Norcal?

I'm from there and I haven't heard that word in so long. That's hella cool.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
batchgmat wrote:
I'm in the same boat (and I think most MBA applicants are as well). I have narrowed it to this list:

Don't want to do:

* IB
* Finance
* Sales
* HR

Interested in:

* Strategy Consulting
* Marketing
* General Mgmt
* Sports Mgmt

For me it would be:

Not interested:
IB
Sales

Interested:
Consulting
Marketing
Corporate Finance (perhaps not very fun but good $$ and hours)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
lhotseface wrote:
Most undecided people seem to end up in Management Consulting. After a couple of years, they get tired of the hotels, the airports and working in far flung places like Mobil, Alabama. At this point, they pick an industry they fancy or have experience in and join it in a corporate dev./gen. management role. My worst fear is that I will follow the crowd at school ending up as a finance monkey in IB and eventually hate myself two years after graduation.

I want to find out more about rotational programs, any one talked to a current student/alum about this ?

Right, and it gets very old very fast - the travel that is. You don't always end up on fun projects in fun places, and can be a real drag to get on a plane week in week out. I'm also attracted to corporate rotational programs, but no haven't talked to anyone about this yet.

Add me to the list of those interested in rotational programs. The company I work for has a "Management Development Program" for fresh MBA grads, where after 2 years, you are put in a managerial role in the business unit that suits you best. Appearantly it's considered the "fast-tracK" to executive status. I've done some research on this, and lot of companies do have this type of program, especially for corp finance grads. Only one thing, I do believe the pay is not spectacular while your actually doing the rotations. Anyone else have info on rotationals??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
MoonShine wrote:
rhyme wrote:
lhotseface wrote:
Most undecided people seem to end up in Management Consulting. After a couple of years, they get tired of the hotels, the airports and working in far flung places like Mobil, Alabama. At this point, they pick an industry they fancy or have experience in and join it in a corporate dev./gen. management role. My worst fear is that I will follow the crowd at school ending up as a finance monkey in IB and eventually hate myself two years after graduation.

I want to find out more about rotational programs, any one talked to a current student/alum about this ?

Right, and it gets very old very fast - the travel that is. You don't always end up on fun projects in fun places, and can be a real drag to get on a plane week in week out. I'm also attracted to corporate rotational programs, but no haven't talked to anyone about this yet.

Add me to the list of those interested in rotational programs. The company I work for has a "Management Development Program" for fresh MBA grads, where after 2 years, you are put in a managerial role in the business unit that suits you best. Appearantly it's considered the "fast-tracK" to executive status. I've done some research on this, and lot of companies do have this type of program, especially for corp finance grads. Only one thing, I do believe the pay is not spectacular while your actually doing the rotations. Anyone else have info on rotationals??

Can you tell us a bit more about your firm? What kind of industry is it? Manufacturing? Services? Finance? etc?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
MoonShine wrote:
rhyme wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

What kind of pay are you talking about?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

nope, aint from norcal but you right the first the time I heard hella was from some norcal cat.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

nope, aint from norcal but you right the first the time I heard hella was from some norcal cat.

What is NORCAL? North California?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:

I guy I know in GSB joined a rotational program wit BP and is optimistic about it. He also mentioned that Cargill has a good rotational program for MBAs.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great thread. Sounds like a lot of us are on the same page.

I used to think consulting was hard to break into, but then realized it's just the McKinseys and Bains that are hard to break into, there are like ten million other consulting companies, although I think the pay drops off once you get outside the big brand names.

The health thing is the one thing that makes the consulting sound unappealing, I really like eating good food and exercising a lot etc. and flying on planes all the time would suck.

But one perk that my consultant friends all seem to enjoy is a ridiculous amount of frequent flyer miles and hotel points. One of my friends flew to Malaysia for sixty dollars (just had to pay taxes), and on another trip to the Carribean stayed at a resort hotel and paid like fifty bucks a night, and flew for free.

Another friend told me that she once sat down and calculated all the stuff that she expenses that she would otherwise have paid for (food, gas) and she came up with ten thousand dollars in one year. So in other words, that's ten thousand dollars of her own money that she didn't have to spend on food and gas, which is like 13 or 14K tacked onto your salary (pre-tax).

So definitely pros and cons w/ consulting, guess I'll have to figure it out when i get to school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rotational programs are cool..

I joined a commercial bank not too long out of college as a management associate. You rotated in wealth management, operations, consumer banking, and corporate banking...the awesome thing that you had the chance to decide on a functional area..assuming there was an opening.. We recruit MBAs too..There was one McCombs MBA in my class... he's now doing equity research in the asset management group..

The downside is that there were certain areas of the bank that people absolutely did not want to touch..i.e...consumer banking. I actually was one of the few interested in Operations.. but you had the opportunity to understand how all the functions the bank work..which is pretty unique

We had 36 associates in the program..most were pretty young..the bank gave us free corporate housing..we all got pretty close...and um...some of us got even closer..(we used to call the complex melrose place)...=)

Ok i think I'm rambling too much now..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
amorica wrote:
We had 36 associates in the program..most were pretty young..the bank gave us free corporate housing..we all got pretty close...and um...some of us got even closer..(we used to call the complex melrose place)...=)

I want pictures.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Another friend told me that she once sat down and calculated all the stuff that she expenses that she would otherwise have paid for (food, gas) and she came up with ten thousand dollars in one year. So in other words, that's ten thousand dollars of her own money that she didn't have to spend on food and gas, which is like 13 or 14K tacked onto your salary (pre-tax).

So definitely pros and cons w/ consulting, guess I'll have to figure it out when i get to school.

If you dont mind being a total road warrior, its even more than that. You dont have to fly back to your home city every weekend, you can fly somewhere else, so I've known people who have gone to colorado for free - not on miles - just instead of going home for the weekend - and gone skiing.

There are perks. Thats for sure, but they do come at a cost.

I once had the chance to go work for united. I'm kinda glad I didn't, and I kinda regret that I didnt. ... people do crazy stuff like fly to Bangkok for the weekend just for fun.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
amorica wrote:

I heard the same from the people who worked for the Big Four auditors.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [3]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I think location is a big factor in quality of life for many jobs. Ibankers in NY work 80+ hours all the time, and it is just completely normal. Regardless of what they say, face time is extremely important, and you will be looked down upon if you are not in the office enough, even if you are efficient enough to finish faster. The expectations are different on the West Coast, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of the bankers in LA and SF work 15-20 hours week less than their NY counterparts. There is much more of a culture of getting your work done, and getting out while the sun is still shining.

Location can be a big factor in consulting as well, even though you are on the road all the time. I knew a lot of people that became consultants after undergrad. I had several friends around LA who were able to afford apartments on the beach, and seemed to enjoy a pretty reasonable quality of life on an analyst's (is that what they are called?) salary. I also knew a girl in NY who paid $1500 per month to share a 300 sq ft. (not joking) apartment with her twin sister ($3000 per month total). They were paid essentially the same as my friend in LA, which meant that they couldn't afford anything at all in NY.

I also had a friend in Michigan - and the untold secret for consulting is that you pretty much make the same no matter where you are based. He was living high off the hog making more or less the same money as people in LA and NY.

Now, I don't want anyone to think that I'm saying NY sucks, I actually love it there. They thing is, there a tons of people making lots and lots of money, so unless you are making lots of money you'll feel like you are missing out. The other thing is that the work culture in NY is really intense and you'll be wondering why you're working 80+ hours a week just to go back and forth from your **** apt. If you have one of those jobs where you make enough money to be happy in NY, you probably work too hard to enjoy it.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you probably need to look beyond the job description when deciding what career to pursue. The exact same job in a different location might make all the difference.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It would fall into the Insurance/Financial Services Industry.

rhyme wrote:
MoonShine wrote:
rhyme wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

Can you tell us a bit more about your firm? What kind of industry is it? Manufacturing? Services? Finance? etc?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Where's the love for IB??

Okay, I know I've writing IB in my apps all along but I really don't either. I know I need to make a lot of money and I'm good with analyzing stuff and math. I've been living in 3 yrs of chillax IT life so 80hour weeks seem like exciting to me. But I can see how that might get tough after a year or two. Is there something else I should consider instead of MC?

I'd also like to work in Hong Kong/China after grad, so some kinda banking/investing sounds good to me.

Things that are out for me:
Brand Management
NPO
Sales
HR
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7