Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agreed, thats a good plan.

Make sure to visit at least one school on a Friday since you get free beer.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Is that true? In that case I will visit every school on a Friday! :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
rrajiv wrote:

Pretty much yes. Every b-school I know has some kind of free beer garden on Friday afternoons.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
rrajiv wrote:

Pretty much yes. Every b-school I know has some kind of free beer garden on Friday afternoons.

It's on Thursdays at UCLA Anderson.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
What do you guys think of MBA events? I didn't go to any -- none were near and I just didn't think it would be worthwhile.

But when I was visiting one of my schools, the admissions director came in to schmooze in the waiting area. Handshake and hellos all around, until he got to someone he'd met before at one of those tour events. Well then it was all kinds of blah-blah, how are you, good to see you, kisskisskiss. And I thought, HELL! I missed a chance to get some face time and make them remember me.....

What do you think?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
What do you guys think of MBA events? I didn't go to any -- none were near and I just didn't think it would be worthwhile.

But when I was visiting one of my schools, the admissions director came in to schmooze in the waiting area. Handshake and hellos all around, until he got to someone he'd met before at one of those tour events. Well then it was all kinds of blah-blah, how are you, good to see you, kisskisskiss. And I thought, HELL! I missed a chance to get some face time and make them remember me.....

What do you think?

I was too shy at those events to get any real contact, but they were helpful - I got to listen to the moronic questions other people asked, and it really really helped me know what NOT to ask, and what NOT to do. It was also incredibly helpful for my essays. I could get enough "why school X" information in a 1 hour session to fill two essays instead of 5 hours of website reading.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

What do you think?

I was too shy at those events to get any real contact, but they were helpful - I got to listen to the moronic questions other people asked, and it really really helped me know what NOT to ask, and what NOT to do. It was also incredibly helpful for my essays. I could get enough "why school X" information in a 1 hour session to fill two essays instead of 5 hours of website reading.

I agree 100%. Plus if you make an impression and you end up being interviewed by the same alumn you met at the meeting, it could be a plus.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
So did you guys

1.. visit all the schools that you were applying to?
2.. visit some of the schools that you were applying to? If so, how do you decide which you want to visit and which you don't?

The reason I ask is, I was planning to visit all the schools that I was going to apply to, but that seems like a lot of money. Do you think its worth spending all the money to go visit schools?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
rrajiv wrote:
So did you guys

1.. visit all the schools that you were applying to?
2.. visit some of the schools that you were applying to? If so, how do you decide which you want to visit and which you don't?

The reason I ask is, I was planning to visit all the schools that I was going to apply to, but that seems like a lot of money. Do you think its worth spending all the money to go visit schools?

Thanks!

1. Didn't. I wasn't really together enough to make it happen, and I didn't decide where to apply to until the last possible minute. Actually, I visited more schools I DIDN'T apply to (berkeley and stanford) because I happened to be in the Bay Area over the summer when they were doing info sessions.

2. Did. I went to Cornell a year ago, 'cause they're up the hill. Didn't go to UNC and Duke until shortly after applying, and that was for the required interview. Will probably never go to Yale as I got dinged without an interview.

I think that visiting is a good idea. You want to know what the area is like, especially if you're relocating with significant other. Familiarity with the campus and program will definitely inform your essays. I don't think the canned info sessions are all that great, but student tours and adcom face time is very helpful. Visiting also shows that you're invested.

However, time and money are issues. Visiting is good, but I will leave it to Rhyme to propose the visiting-schools-ROI-decision-matrix.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
I read somewhere that f you are based in the US and not visit, the school may doubt your commitment and get yield concerns about you. For obvious reasons, this does not apply to such an extent to internationals, especially those living an ocean away.

Then there are some schools which value visits much more than others. I've heard that MIT really values visits (since adcoms will in turn travel around the world to interview). I've also heard that Tuck values visits much more (with it being isolated and all). And Darden, for eg., has campus interviews only.

Cheers. L.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
One thing that I think is important to do after a class visit, is to make very detailed notes about your visit. The name of the class you sat in on, the professor who taught the class. The names of any students you spoke with, anything you remember about them, anything interesting they said.

This will all be valuable material, not just for essays, but for interviews as well. You will forget these things very quickly if you don't write them down, even though at the time you think you will remember them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
One thing that I think is important to do after a class visit, is to make very detailed notes about your visit. The name of the class you sat in on, the professor who taught the class. The names of any students you spoke with, anything you remember about them, anything interesting they said.

This will all be valuable material, not just for essays, but for interviews as well. You will forget these things very quickly if you don't write them down, even though at the time you think you will remember them.

Indeed, this is good advice. 08ers, take note.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good advise indeed. Thanks to all!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great advice everyone!

Anyone know what one would talk to the adcom about? What questions would one ask without sounding mundane and stupid? I mean, you can ask students questions about the cirriculum, the culture, the classes, what X (insert career goal here) is all about. But to not sound "stupid" to the adcom, would you ask them about admission advice? What they look for? I'm not sure if they'll answer questions like that.

Any advice?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]