Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
And Student Loan Interest [#permalink]
Student Loan Interest

In the interest of completeness, I thought I should mention the student loan interest deduction.

You can deduct the interest you pay on your student loans, provided:

1. Your filing status is not Married Filing Separately.
2. The loan is used soley for the qualifying expenses, such as tuition and fees; room and board; books, supplies, and equipment; and other necessary expenses. (Please note that room and board is generally limited to the amount that the school includes in the student budget.)
3. The loan cannot be from a relative or part of an employer-sponsored plan.

The maximum deduction is $2500 (in 2005). The phase-out is between MAGIs of $50k and $65k for singles ($105k and $135k for MFJ).

You should get a 1098-E from your lender, stating the amount of your interest paid in a given tax year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have a question - does tuition paid before enrollment count? I'm going to Columbia and sent in my $5K in November...so can I claim a tuition deduction on my 2006 return or do I have to wait til I actually attend school to claim it for 2007?

Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great thing about the Life Long Learning credit is that it can be taken for professional continuing ed type courses as well... pretty broad definition of what is a qualifying expense. Definately going to come in handy for me with the CFA this year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is great info, thanks aaudetat. Good luck on your Monday interview!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Q&A [#permalink]
If I paid my brother's tuition, how can I claim it when filing taxes? Is it claimable? Can I claim him as my dependent? This is the first year I am filing taxes. Appreciate it

You're in luck - when I train volunteers I use a handy mantra that you can also learn and recite:

WHO CLAIMS THE KID CLAIMS THE CREDIT. (Or deduction.)

In other words, if you're paying your tuition, but your parents claim you as a dependent, then they get the tax benefits for those payments. Therefore, in order to claim the tax benefits for the tuition payments you are making for your brother, you will need to claim him as a dependent (as long as no one can claim YOU as a dependent).

There are two ways that he can qualify as your dependent: he can be considered a qualifying child or a qualifying relative.

A Qualifying Child:
* Can be your brother
* Must live in the US, be a citizen, national or resident alien, or a resident of Canada or Mexico for some part of the year
* Can't be married (If he is, let me know. There are exceptions.)
* Must be under 19 OR under 24 AND a full-time student OR any age AND disabled
* Must live with you for at least 6 months of the year (note: college is considered a temporary absence that counts as living with you, provided your address is what he would call his permanent address).
* Cannot provide over half of his own support (basically any money - frivolous or essential - that is spent on your brother counts as support).
* Does not qualify as a qualifying child for anyone else (if he does, there are tie-breaker rules).

A Qualifying Relative:
* Can still be your brother
* Has the same residency requirements as a qualifying child
* Cannot be the qualifying child of anyone else
* Cannot be married (exceptions also apply)
* Must make less than $3300
* Must receive at least 50% of his support from you
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh, and if you can claim your brother and he's an undergrad, then you need to consider one other option:

In addition to the LLC and the TFD mentioned above, there is also something called the Hope Credit. This credit is similar to the LLC, except for 4 key differences:

1. This credit is for students in their first two years of schooling (freshmen and sophomores).
2. This credit can only be claimed twice in a student's lifetime.
3. Students must be enrolled at least half-time and also pursuing a degree program.
4. The student may not have a felony drug conviction. If so, he must claim the LLC or the TFD. (Isn't that idiotic? I included it for comic relief.)

Generally speaking, the Hope packs a bigger punch than the LLC....maybe even always. Try out all three and see which one is best for you - you can only take one per student. The education credits may be claimed on form 8863, and show up in the nonrefundables section of the 1040 on page 2. The deduction will be in the adjustments section on page 1 of the 1040.

Originally posted by aaudetat on 29 Jan 2007, 19:21.
Last edited by aaudetat on 29 Jan 2007, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
ap663 wrote:
I have a question - does tuition paid before enrollment count? I'm going to Columbia and sent in my $5K in November...so can I claim a tuition deduction on my 2006 return or do I have to wait til I actually attend school to claim it for 2007?

Thanks!

Good question - and one that will likely affect many of us (well, those of us who aren't total late-round slackers). I wasn't sure, so had to consult my friend Pub 17, and it doesn't sound good:

Generally, a credit is allowed for qualified education expenses paid in 2006 for an academic period beginning in 2006 or in the first 3 months of 2007. For example, if you paid $1,500 in December 2006 for qualified tuition for the Spring 2007 beginning in January 2007, you may be able to use that $1,500 in figuring your 2006 for those amounts.

In other words, if you are starting your studies after April 1, 2007, those 2006 payments can't be claimed in 2006. They will be considered for the 2007 tax year. Considering how much we'll pay and how limited the credit is, it's really too bad that we can't split it into two years!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
Great thing about the Life Long Learning credit is that it can be taken for professional continuing ed type courses as well... pretty broad definition of what is a qualifying expense. Definately going to come in handy for me with the CFA this year.

Yep, totally true! And I'm claiming it for the online stats class I am taking through Berekely. Only I am a total moron - should have paid for it in 2006 so I could claim it this year. But no - put it off and paid for it in 2007. Crud.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: Q&A [#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
If I paid my brother's tuition, how can I claim it when filing taxes? Is it claimable? Can I claim him as my dependent? This is the first year I am filing taxes. Appreciate it

Aau,

Tnx for the detailed response. Do I need special forms for deducting tuition? He is an ESL student, can I still count him as dependent? I also pay my own tuition, does that count?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Q&A [#permalink]
Tajik4GMAT wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

Aau,

Tnx for the detailed response. Do I need special forms for deducting tuition? He is an ESL student, can I still count him as dependent? I also pay my own tuition, does that count?

You need to look at the rules for claiming a dependent and see if your brother meets them for you to claim him. First, try the qualifying child rules - do those work? Then you can claim him, and his tuition credits. If they don't, try the qualifying relative rules. If those work, then you can claim him and the tax benefits.

To know if you can claim your own tuition expenses, look at the first two posts of this thread.

And here's the info on the forms, copied from above: The education credits may be claimed on form 8863, and show up in the nonrefundables section of the 1040 on page 2. The deduction will be in the adjustments section on page 1 of the 1040.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
A few quick points on the Lifetime Learning Credit.

- Payments from a tax free savings account (like a 529) don't count toward your qualified expenses.

- Room and board aren't qualified expenses.

- Finally, are you sure a CFA would not apply to this credit? The expenses have to be paid to a qualifying institution, like a university or community college. I'm not sure if the CFA Institute counts.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
naturallight wrote:
A few quick points on the Lifetime Learning Credit.

- Payments from a tax free savings account (like a 529) don't count toward your qualified expenses.

Yes, that is a good point. I went ahead and edited the original post to add that in there.

naturallight wrote:
- Room and board aren't qualified expenses.

Again, true. The original post points out that expenses must be required for enrollment. Obviously, you are not required to eat or not be homeless in order to attend. (This can get sticky for colleges that require on-campus residency, but none of this will apply to us.)

naturallight wrote:
- Finally, are you sure a CFA would not apply to this credit? The expenses have to be paid to a qualifying institution, like a university or community college. I'm not sure if the CFA Institute counts.

I don't know anything about CFA stuff. The credit applies to courses taken to aquire or improve job skills, but naturallight is right - the place that offers the credits does matter. Here's what the IRS has to say:

An eligible educational institution is any college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Dept of Education. It includes virtually all accredited public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately owned profit-making) postsecondary institutions. The educational institution should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
DISCLAIMER [#permalink]
Naturallight's points have prompted me to add this:

Keep in mind that our tax code is incredibly complex. While the information I posted covers the basics of education credits, many taxpayers will need to consult Pub 17, Pub 990, or a paid tax preparer to be sure that the hordes of details and exceptions I haven't addressed in these posts are being applied correctly.

These posts aren't really about helping you grab a 1040 and file your stuff. The purpose was to answer general questions about the effect that paying for an MBA education might have on your tax situation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Can a cousine be a qualifying relative?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tajik4GMAT wrote:
Can a cousine be a qualifying relative?

Yes, as long as all the other rules are met: lived with you enough time, didn't make over $3300, you provided over half the support, etc etc.

ANYONE can be a qualifying relative, as long as the tests are met - if I quit my job, lived in your basement, and you supported me, we'd be good.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Do I need like special forms to claim him? Tuition receipts and all that?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: TUITION and TAXES [#permalink]
Guys, I decided to bump this. As folks start hearing about decisions, they start thinking about money....

Keep in mind, this info is from when i applied, but still a good place to start.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: TUITION and TAXES [#permalink]
 1   2