Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Weakenx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [29]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [2]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [3]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Banning cigarette advertisements in the mass media will not reduce the [#permalink]
Can someone explain? How should I tackle these weaken questions, they always wound me up.

Also, what is the conclusion here, the last sentence or the first? I thought it to be the last sentence. Please explain.

Thank You.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Banning cigarette advertisements in the mass media will not reduce the [#permalink]
Kudos
gauranggarg wrote:
Can someone explain? How should I tackle these weaken questions, they always wound me up.

Also, what is the conclusion here, the last sentence or the first? I thought it to be the last sentence. Please explain.

Thank You.

I'm pretty sure the first sentence is the main conclusion and the last sentence would probably be a supporting conclusion. Try to think about what the main message the argument is trying to make when deciding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: Banning cigarette advertisements in the mass media will not reduce the [#permalink]
Kudos
gauranggarg wrote:

Thank You.

When in doubt between 2 sentences, try this method that @e-gmat teaches to determine which one is the conclusion.
Try to CAUSALLY link (with the use of "BECAUSE") the 2 statements in both directions. For example :

In this passage, the 2 sentences are :
A. Banning cigarette advertisements in the mass media will not reduce the number of young people who smoke
B. They do not need the advertisements to supply that information

First CAUSAL link :
<Banning cigarette advertisements in the mass media will not reduce the number of young people who smoke> BECAUSE <They do not need the advertisements to supply that information>

Second CAUSAL link (Other way round) :
<They do not need the advertisements to supply that information> BECAUSE <Banning cigarette advertisements in the mass media will not reduce the number of young people who smoke>

See which one of the above 2 linkages makes sense in the context of the argument.

Obviously the first link does.
Whatever comes before the BECAUSE in the correct link is the conclusion of the argument.
Therefore, for this passage, <Banning cigarette advertisements in the mass media will not reduce the number of young people who smoke> is the CONCLUSION of the argument.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but this method really works well for complex arguments.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Banning cigarette advertisements in the mass media will not reduce the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gauranggarg, there are a few ways to test for a conclusion if you are confused. The easiest and best way? Do the because/therefore test. This helps test for premises/conclusions or sub conclusions/conclusions. It has been explained above, but I just want to add a little more to the explanation.

Here's how it works:

Because Banning cigarette advertisements in the mass media will not reduce the number of young people who smoke. They know that cigarettes exist and they know how to get them. Therefore They do not need the advertisements to supply that information.

Therefore Banning cigarette advertisements in the mass media will not reduce the number of young people who smoke. They know that cigarettes exist and they know how to get them. Because They do not need the advertisements to supply that information.

Now, of the two sentences above, which is the correct one? The second one. Because they do not need to do something, it will not have an effect; the last supports the first. The "because" is the support, and will always be a premise/sub conclusion, whereas the therefore, which is a conclusion indicator, is our conclusion. This is the best way to go about solving this issue. From a logic perspective, a premise is just support. If you have to ask yourself "Why?" after a statement, you know that this is a conclusion. If you need to support it, it is a conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Seeing or hearing an advertisement for a product tends to increase people’s desire for that product.

clearly if there will be less advertisement , then they will be less desired to smoke. hence weakning conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
This is the quick solution I came up with:

Conc: Banning cigarette ads in the mass media will not reduce the number of young people who smoke, i.e., ads can't be used as a variable to control smoking.

(A) Seeing or hearing an advertisement for a product tends to increase people’s desire for that product. - This pretty much answers the question straight out of the gate. "Do ads or exposure to ads impact smoking tendencies in the population?" If the ads lead to higher desire for a product (which we already know how to obtain) then removing those same ads might reset the baseline for desire to lower level, a.k.a reduce desire and reduce smoking levels. Keep

(B) Banning cigarette advertisements in the mass media will cause an increase in advertisements in places where cigarettes are sold - This option pretty much says that removing ads will lead to more ads promoting cigarettes. However, we're already told that cigarette ads don't have an effect in the passage. The reasoning provided here challenges the facts rather than the assumption. Drop

(C) Advertisements in the mass media have been an exceedingly large part of the expenditures of the tobacco companies - How much money a tobacco company spend on ads seems pretty inconsequential to the passage. Granted companies can be spending huge sums, but doesn't weaken the reasoning that ads can't be used as a variable to control smoking levels. Drop

(D) Those who oppose cigarette use have advertised against it in the mass media ever since cigarettes were found to be harmful. - This shifts the conversation from banning ads to advertising against it. This can be used to create an unsupported story as follows - In the absence of ads promoting cigarettes, the ads against cigarette usage will reduce smoking among young people. Hence, banning cigarette ads will have the intended effect. However, we're already told that ads don't work, i.e., people already know where and how to obtain cigarettes, so the above can't be concluded either. Drop

(E) Older people tend to be less influenced by mass-media advertisements than younger people tend to be. - This actually strengthens the conclusion. Drop­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
­Experts! Gmat ninja, karishma, AndrewN ... please tell why option E is wrong ? As Media advertisement affects more younger people , so if cigarette advertisements is banned in media , then it should definitely reduce the number of young people who smoke.  I need a reason how we can say it irrelevant comparison or out of scope. 
Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts