Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [44]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [21]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 879 [6]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 745 [3]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Re: To show that it is serious about addressing the state's power crisis [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:
To show that it is serious about addressing the state's power crisis, the administration has plans for ordering all federal facilities in California to keep thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shutting down escalators during electricity shortages this summer.

A) has plans for ordering all federal facilities in California to keep thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shutting

B) has plans to order that all federal facilities in California are keeping thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shutting

C) is planning on ordering all federal facilities in California to keep thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit, and they will shut

D) is planning to order that all federal facilities in California are keeping thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shut

E) is planning to order all federal facilities in California to keep thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shut

SC20160.02

Ok let's start our vertical scan. Yeah we find And in all options that's a good sign.

Checking logical parallelism: order to do x and y (or) to order F to do x and y. X and Y should be parallel actions

Eliminate A,C and D as they don't have parallel X and Y (as marked red in the option choices above)

Now between B and E

B) we can't say : order that they are keeping and shutting : the use of present tense for future event is incorrect.
i.e, we can order someone to do something but not order someone are v-ing that's a mess

Therefore E)This option eliminates all errors above and looks perfect among all options. Hence our OA

Thanks. :thumbsup:
McCombs School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [2]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: To show that it is serious about addressing the state's power crisis [#permalink]
Kudos
To show that it is serious about addressing the state's power crisis, the administration has plans for ordering all federal facilities in California to keep thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shutting down escalators during electricity shortages this summer.

It's more concise and direct to make "plan" the action verb (plan+ infinitive) rather than possessive verb (has plan). So A and B can be eliminated

A) has plans for ordering all federal facilities in California to keep thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shutting -- Reason mentioned above. Gerunds are unnecessary as well

B) has plans to order that all federal facilities in California are keeping thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shutting -- same reason as above. Also, not parallel

C) is planning on ordering all federal facilities in California to keep thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit, and they will shut -- "plan on" is unidiomatic

D) is planning to order that all federal facilities in California are keeping thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shut -- "order that" is wrong usage. Also, not parallel

E) is planning to order all federal facilities in California to keep thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shut -- CORRECT, action verb + infinitive and parallel elements (to order... and shut)

Hence, the answer is E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [2]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
some subjuctive verb require a special pattern
I require that he LEARN english.
but it can be used like normal verb.
I require him to learn english.

if "order" is used as subjective verb, that-clause with "do" is used. I order he COME.
progressive tense is never used in subjective mode.

if "order " is used as normal verb, not in subjunctive mode, that-clause is not used.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 351
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Though I chose the correct answer option, I have a question here.

How do I know whether 'shut' is parallel with 'keep' and not 'order' in the OA? generis GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BhaveshGMAT wrote:
Though I chose the correct answer option, I have a question here.

How do I know whether 'shut' is parallel with 'keep' and not 'order' in the OA? generis GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Facilities have escalators.
So the administration will order facilities to keep thermostat at 78 degrees and to shut down escalators.

If administration were planning to shut down escalators, we would have been given what kind of escalators e.g. those in all public areas etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
KarishmaB Ma'am ,
Please evaluate my reasoning for this question.
The meaning conveyed in this sentence is that administration has plans for ordering all federal facilities to do two things X and Y.
Option A:- This is the incorrect answer choice. "Plans to" is the correct idiomatic usage. Furthermore, the parallelism in this option statement is flawed. "shutting" is is not parallel to "to keep". Shutting is coming parallel to "ordering". So the meaning conveyed in this sentence is that administration has plans for shutting down all escalators under the sun during electricity shortages. Hence, the meaning conveyed is totally flawed.

Option B:- The usage of present continuous tense "are keeping" is incorrect. This action will be done in the future. This action is not going on at the moment. Furthermore, shutting and keeping are parallel. So both these actions will be done in the future. In this option statement, both the actions are ongoing. Hence, this is incorrect.

Option C:- Same error as option A. Plan "to" is the correct idiomatic usage. No antecedent of "they". Subject Verb Disagreement.

Option D:- Same error as option B. "are keeping" is incorrect. "shut" is not parallel to "order". In this option statement, shut is parallel to order. So the meaning conveyed is the same as option A.

Option E:- This is the correct answer choice.

Please share your two cents.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
KarishmaB Ma'am ,
Please evaluate my reasoning for this question.
The meaning conveyed in this sentence is that administration has plans for ordering all federal facilities to do two things X and Y.
Option A:- This is the incorrect answer choice. "Plans to" is the correct idiomatic usage. Furthermore, the parallelism in this option statement is flawed. "shutting" is is not parallel to "to keep". Shutting is coming parallel to "ordering". So the meaning conveyed in this sentence is that administration has plans for shutting down all escalators under the sun during electricity shortages. Hence, the meaning conveyed is totally flawed.

Option B:- The usage of present continuous tense "are keeping" is incorrect. This action will be done in the future. This action is not going on at the moment. Furthermore, shutting and keeping are parallel. So both these actions will be done in the future. In this option statement, both the actions are ongoing. Hence, this is incorrect.

Option C:- Same error as option A. Plan "to" is the correct idiomatic usage. No antecedent of "they". Subject Verb Disagreement.

Option D:- Same error as option B. "are keeping" is incorrect. "shut" is not parallel to "order". In this option statement, shut is parallel to order. So the meaning conveyed is the same as option A.

Option E:- This is the correct answer choice.

Please share your two cents.

Hello krndatta,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, your reasoning here is largely correct.

One point we feel the need to clarify, however, is that there are some uses of the construction "plan + for"; for example, when "plan" is used as a verb, "Plan for X" is used to refer to the action of making a plan related to X.

Kudos.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
generis wrote:

A) has plans for ordering all federal facilities in California to keep thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shutting

B) has plans to order that all federal facilities in California are keeping thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shutting

C) is planning on ordering all federal facilities in California to keep thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit, and they will shut

D) is planning to order that all federal facilities in California are keeping thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shut

E) is planning to order all federal facilities in California to keep thermostats at 78 degrees Fahrenheit and shut

SC20160.02

There are two things the admin will order facilities to do: keep thermostats at 78 degree and shut down elevators.
These two should be in parallel. They are in parallel only in options (B) and (E).
But (B) uses present continues tense (are keeping etc). But this is something the admin is planning to intrust the facilities to do. So it will actually happen in the future. It is not going on right now. Hence (B) is incorrect. Only (E) works.

The verb form is stronger than noun or adjective form so instead of "A has plans to do B," we would like to say "A plans to do B".
GMAT prefers the use of infinitive. So "is planning to order" is better than "is planning on ordering".
Also, we say either 'plan to do A' or 'plans for A' e.g. "What are your plans for the weekend?" and "I plan to visit my parents."

(E) is better than other options on each of these points.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
KarishmaB Ma'am,

Can you please elaborate on the below a bit?
Quote:
The verb form is stronger than noun or adjective form so instead of "A has plans to do B," we would like to say "A plans to do B"

I have heard this before but am not very clear with this part.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
KarishmaB Ma'am,

Quote:
The verb form is stronger than noun or adjective form so instead of "A has plans to do B," we would like to say "A plans to do B"

Look at the sentences below:

It happened because they assumed that he will not come.
It happened because of their assumption that he will not come.
It happened because of their assuming that he will not come.

Sentence 1 is the most direct way of saying it. We are clearly saying who assumed what. This is how formal conversations should be - to the point and clear.
Hence the verb form "assumed" is preferred over noun "assumption" or gerund "assuming".
Don't learn it up as a rule. Notice how it is making your conversation direct and clean.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
krndatta wrote:
KarishmaB Ma'am,

Quote:

Look at the sentences below:

It happened because they assumed that he will not come.
It happened because of their assumption that he will not come.
It happened because of their assuming that he will not come.

Sentence 1 is the most direct way of saying it. We are clearly saying who assumed what. This is how formal conversations should be - to the point and clear.
Hence the verb form "assumed" is preferred over noun "assumption" or gerund "assuming".
Don't learn it up as a rule. Notice how it is making your conversation direct and clean.

KarishmaB, GMATNinja
I have a doubt in E though, why is it that we dont hold 'and shut' as violation of parallelism

The admin is planning to order all facilities
1] to keep thermostat at 78 degrees
and
2] to shut down escalators ( when i plug this in the root it sounds wrong: The admin is planning to order all facilities shut down escalators. How do we decide if 'to' should be taken common or its a missing parallelism in the second half. Is what follows the marker 'and' taken as the correct parallelism ask and then we see if the first half fits always the way to do it?)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [1]
Send PM