Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 238
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a [#permalink]
stevegt wrote:
In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women’s property laws.

A. arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights
B. arguing in a treatise for equal political and legal rights for women
C. a treatise that advocates women’s equal political and legal rights
D. a treatise advocating women’s equal political and legal rights
E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women

The confusion is between B and E. Here's my reasoning:

B. arguing in a treatise for equal political and legal rights for women
- Usage of 'a treatise' makes it seem like it is not the same treatise that was published. Ex.
I wrote a book, arguing in a book for human rights.

E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women
This is correct, as 'a treatise' makes it clear that it is being talked about the 'Discourse on Women'. Ex:
I wrote a blog, an article that argued for human rights.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a [#permalink]
what is the difference between "so ...as to" and "so...that"?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mongyu wrote:
what is the difference between "so ...as to" and "so...that"?

This post answers this question.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses difference between "so ...as to" and "so...that", their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
KarishmaB - i thought (E) had a verb tense issue - specifically "Argued"

Reason - the book is obvously still arguing for equal rights and for changes.

In 2022 - if i was to open the book and read Discourse on Women - i am sure, the book if i read it today would today still be saying the same thing -- i.e. arguing for equal rights and for changes.

Did the book really stop arguing for equal rights and for changes ?

No - it would still be arguiing for equal rights and for changes

Hence i eliminated (E)

Could you assist
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
KarishmaB - i thought (E) had a verb tense issue - specifically "Argued"

In 2022 - if i was to open the book and read Discourse on Women - i am sure, the book if i read it today would today still be saying the same thing -- i.e. arguing for equal rights and for changes.

Hence i eliminated (E)

Could you assist

jabhatta2
The problem is - what did you pick as your answer then?
Since we are not allowed to write our own sentences, we must make do with what is given even if we prefer to write it in another way.

My focus here is on history, not on what the book says.
So I say, "In 1850, Mott published her book that talked about ..."
Whether the book still exists/is accessible etc, we don't know. We are talking about what happened in 1850.

If my focus is on the book today, I will say, "Mott's book says ...."

So I wouldn't eliminate any option based on whether present tense is used or past tense is used. I will see what the options have to offer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Hello experts, MartyTargetTestPrep
Between B and E.

Why B is wrong,?
MOtt is arguing in a treatise- which is perfectly fine!

In E, How can a treatise can argue itself, its the author who argues in the treatise, the right construction is B

still I chose E, intuitively!
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
dcoolguy wrote:
Between B and E.

Why B is wrong,?

In E, How can a treatise can argue itself, its the author who argues in the treatise, the right construction is B

Hello dcoolguy,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, as we have explained elsewhere in this thread, a "treatise" can indeed be said to "argue" something, even though it is a non-living thing. This is known as anthropomorphization, giving the traits of a living thing to a non-living thing; this is a minor example of figurative or abstract language and is perfectly permissible on the GMAT. For example, "The letter said John misses you."

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
dcoolguy wrote:
Between B and E.

Why B is wrong,?

Hello dcoolguy,

To answer your query, as we have explained elsewhere in this thread, a "treatise" can indeed be said to "argue" something, even though it is a non-living thing. This is known as anthropomorphization, giving the traits of a living thing to a non-living thing; this is a minor example of figurative or abstract language and is perfectly permissible on the GMAT. For example, "The letter said John misses you."

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thanks,
understood, but what are the things (non living) that comes under this and what not?
because at the same time we say GMAT is an exam to test logic,
here it is contradicting itself.
Since there are many examples in which non living performing an action of living is considered illogical.

So how can we characterise as to what is acceptable and what not?
also I asked why B is wrong? but you only explained E.
VP
VP
Send PM
GMATGuruNY IanStewart - i thought (E) had a verb tense issue - specifically "Argued"

Hence i eliminated (E)

Could you assist
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
GMATGuruNY IanStewart - i thought (E) had a verb tense issue - specifically "Argued"

Hence i eliminated (E)

Could you assist

OA: In 1850, Lucretia Mott published a treatise that argued for changes in married women’s property laws.
The phrase in blue refers to THE LAWS OF 1850, when the treatise was published.
It would be illogical to say that the treatise argues -- IN THE PRESENT -- for changes in laws that were in effect over 100 years ago (very much IN THE PAST).

Originally posted by GMATGuruNY on 16 May 2022, 13:47.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on 16 May 2022, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:
OE: In 1850, Lucretia Mott published a treatise that argued for changes in married women’s property laws.
The phrase in blue refers to THE LAWS OF 1850, when the treatise was published.
It would be illogical to say that the treatise argues -- IN THE PRESENT -- for changes in laws that were in effect over 100 years ago (very much IN THE PAST).

Hi GMATGuruNY - really dumb q i am sure but why is illogical to say that though ?

If i was to open the book today - i am sure the book is still making the case (Arguing) for changes to be made.

Whether the changes were actually made / not made || when the changes came into effect == i thought were secondary
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
If i was to open the book today - i am sure the book is still making the case (Arguing) for changes to be made.

Whether the changes were actually made / not made || when the changes came into effect == i thought were secondary

The treatise argues for changes in women's property laws.
Here -- because the main verb is in the present tense -- the phrase in red seems to refer to laws that are CURRENTLY IN EFFECT.
Not the intended meaning.
In the US, we no longer have "women's property laws."
The laws for men and women are the same.
Hence, the usage of the present tense distorts the intended meaning.

Regardless, the usage of argued in the OA is perfectly logical, so tense cannot serve as a reason to eliminate E.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hi AjiteshArun ReedArnoldMPREP DmitryFarber
- i have asked quite a few contributors but not sure i fully understand. was curious on your thoughts as well

- i thought (E) had a verb tense issue - specifically "Argued"

Reason - the treatise is doing something timeless - which is arguing for equal rights and for changes.

In 2022 - if i was to open the book and read Discourse on Women - i am sure, the book if i read it today or in the future, the book would be doing the same thing -- i.e. arguing for equal rights and for changes.

Did the book really stop arguing for equal rights and for changes (hence the preferance for the simple past tense) ?

No based on common sense.- it would still be arguing for equal rights and for changes

How then does "Argued" make any sense ?

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 16 May 2022, 18:13.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 17 May 2022, 14:46, edited 3 times in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
dcoolguy wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
dcoolguy wrote:
Between B and E.

Why B is wrong,?

Hello dcoolguy,

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thanks,
understood, but what are the things (non living) that comes under this and what not?
because at the same time we say GMAT is an exam to test logic,
here it is contradicting itself.
Since there are many examples in which non living performing an action of living is considered illogical.

So how can we characterise as to what is acceptable and what not?
also I asked why B is wrong? but you only explained E.

Hello dcoolguy,

To answer your query, such distinctions are largely idiomatic - for example, we can say that a fire is "dying"; what matters is whether the verb can logically refer to a function that the non-living thing performs; in this case, a "treatise" can be said to "argue" because it is a written document, a record of thoughts.

Further, Option B alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "arguing in a treatise" the use of the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing"- “arguing” in this case)" construction incorrectly implies that Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, and in doing so argued for equal political and legal rights for women; the intended meaning is that Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, and it is a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women; please remember, the introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “arguing” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
Experts

Shouldn't "Discourse on Women" be slanted, if it is a publication?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vegita wrote:
Shouldn't "Discourse on Women" be slanted, if it is a publication?

Indeed; it should be and it is, in the OG.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Experts help I still don't see how we get to the conclusion that the Discourse on Women is what needs to be modified and not Mott.
Mott can still argue in a book or a paper right??
How do I know that the book is the one doing the arguing and not Mott?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts