Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [3]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: During an age in which most children learn basics of chess, Paul Morph [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer is D.

"At an age when" is the correct idiom, not "during an age". I only see during+age when referring to a specific era/period such as Age of Enlightenment, but not During A/An age.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: During an age in which most children learn basics of chess, Paul Morph [#permalink]
D will be the answer since during age seems odd

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Arit007 wrote:
D will be the answer since during age seems odd

Posted from my mobile device

Hello Arit007,

We hope this finds you well.

To provide a bit more detail here, in the construction "During an age", the term "age" refers to a span of time, typically a historical one, and in the construction "At an age", "age" refers to the chronological age of a person.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
KarishmaB Ma'am,
In option B "most" modifies basics of chess. What is the meaning conveyed in this option?
Can you please elaborate?

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
KarishmaB Ma'am,
In option B "most" modifies basics of chess. What is the meaning conveyed in this option?

Thanks

Yes, in option (B), "most" modifies "basics." So it implies that children learn most basics of chess (perhaps they don't learn all the basics of chess). Of course, the meaning makes no sense.
We want to say that most children learn the basics of chess - as done in correct option (D).
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
KarishmaB Ma'am,

Thanks

Hello krndatta,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the use of "most" to modify "basics of chess" implies that at a certain age, all children learn the majority of the basics of chess, but not all of the basics; the intended meaning, of course, is that at a certain age, the majority of children, but not all of them, learn all the basics of chess.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts