Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4095 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: What should I do? [#permalink]
well for 1st attempt the score is good , now that you have official score you should get your ESR and see what went wrong and led to this drop in score in verbal..
you have not mentioned about your quant score , seems there was a drop in that as well..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aditya1422 wrote:
I have been working towards the GMAT for a couple of months now. Took the first 4 OG Mocks and scored - 730, 720, 750, 740.

Today, I took the GMAT and scored a mere 700. My verbal dropped to 35 from the usual 40-42 in the mocks, what should I do next? My target score is 720+

Hi aditya1422,

700 is a very good score, very close to both your target and mock scores. You should continue working on your concepts and taking practice tests. I really don't think you need to do make any major changes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you everyone for your input. I believe I was feeling distraught after performing worse than expected yesterday. But it's time to get back on the horse, analyze areas to improve, and take another honest shot in the upcoming weeks.

AjiteshArun, you're right. I do have two official mocks remaining, I'll freshen up my concepts and work on weak areas before attempting those, and the GMAT.

Archit3110, do you know how soon after taking the test can I request an ESR? I certainly need to know how I fared in each category in Verbal.

MartyTargetTestPrep, Oh you're so RIGHT!! This was my biggest concern with the mocks, I had a feeling I had seen some of the questions appearing in the mocks in the OGs. Why do they do that? If solving the OGs is the first step towards GMAT prep, doesn't that make the mocks flawed? They should put that as an AWA argument someday! But you're right, I feel some of my verbal concepts, especially around sentence correction need good foundational work. Wasted good money on Jamboree, thinking of preparing with Charles Gmat Ninja for free this time around. What do you think?

GmatTutorKnight, ESR is the first thing I'll be getting. Thank you! If even after "getting" the verbal concepts, I am bombing because my approach to these questions is flawed, I'll reach out to inquire about your services.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
aditya1422 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep, Oh you're so RIGHT!! This was my biggest concern with the mocks, I had a feeling I had seen some of the questions appearing in the mocks in the OGs. Why do they do that? If solving the OGs is the first step towards GMAT prep, doesn't that make the mocks flawed?

No questions from the official practice tests appear in the OG, but you may have seen questions from the official practice tests on GMAT Club or somewhere else.

Quote:
But you're right, I feel some of my verbal concepts, especially around sentence correction need good foundational work.

There are a variety of ways to do that foundational work. The key thing is to make sure that the approach to preparing you use does in fact involve doing that foundational work.

I think you can get some good ideas regarding how to do that work from blog posts I mentioned in my response above, and this one could be illuminating as well.

Three Key Practice Tips for Mastering GMAT Verbal
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
aditya1422 wrote:
I have been working towards the GMAT for a couple of months now. Took the first 4 OG Mocks and scored - 730, 720, 750, 740.

Today, I took the GMAT and scored a mere 700. My verbal dropped to 35 from the usual 40-42 in the mocks, what should I do next? My target score is 720+

Posted from my mobile device

Hi aditya1422

700 is a great score. But if you feel you can take it up to 750, then I can definitely help you with that. The first thing in that process would be to identify your weak areas. You have to analyze even the minute things and make sure to work on them. If you have an ESR, I can definitely help you in analyzing it. We can get in touch over a zoom conference call and we can analyze it together. This way we can figure out what exactly your weak areas are and then make a plan of action. Feel free to reach out to me on DM if you want to connect over zoom.
GMAT Club Bot