Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx   Subject Verb Agreementx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [7]
Given Kudos: 500
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [4]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll [#permalink]
How is 'Influential On' , Influential to' and 'influenced' different from each other and how to identify the correct phrase to be used?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll [#permalink]
Expert Reply
chesly wrote:
How is 'Influential On' , Influential to' and 'influenced' different from each other and how to identify the correct phrase to be used?

Hello chesly,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "was influential on", "was influential to", and "influenced" all carry the same meaning; "influenced" is just superior to the former two, as it is active and they as passive.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
chesly wrote:

It's important to note that the two options with "influential to" can be eliminated right away because of the subject-verb agreement issues (and the other crappiness mentioned in this post). So we don't even have to waste a second thinking about whether "influential to" is okay.

And notice that we didn't go with (B) over (A) and (E) because "were influential on generations" and "were an influence on generations" are WRONG while "influenced generations" is RIGHT. I don't see any good reason to go with the wordier and less direct phrasings in (A) and (E) when we have a simpler and more direct option in (B). But that just gives us one tiny "vote" in favor of (B) over (A) and (E), and you don't want to overreact to that difference alone.

Is that a good enough reason to eliminate (A) and (E)? I wouldn't say so. But when we combine that little vote with the other votes explained in this post, we see that (B) emerges as the better option.

So, please don't try to come up with a list of concrete rules governing the usage of influential on vs. influence on vs. influence vs. influential to. If you try to turn this into a mechanical grammar test, you're going to overlook the important meaning differences that really matter.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
The hard thing about this question is the fact that there’s some crappy stuff in some answer choices, but that stuff isn’t necessarily WRONG. I like it better when things are WRONG, and I can eliminate them with confidence.

But… well, there’s enough crappy stuff to allow us to get to the right answer without too much pain:

Quote:
(A) were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

In (A), there’s a lot of crappiness. The phrase “were influential” is a crappy, indirect way to say “influenced” – but it’s not WRONG, exactly. The phrase “was also an inspiration” is a crappy, indirect way to say “also inspire.” And “that included Elvis and Jerry” is a lousy way to say “including Elvis and Jerry.”

Honestly, my reaction to (A) would be “this is a crappy sentence, but I can’t really eliminate it yet.” So I’d keep it, and look for something better. But I’ll spoil the surprise: there are better options coming in a moment.

Quote:
(B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

Well… isn’t this magical? (B) gives us better versions of EVERYTHING I whined about in (A): “influenced” instead of “were influential”; “inspired” instead of “was an inspiration”; and “including” instead of “that included.”

(B) is looking relatively nice. Let’s keep it.

Quote:
(C) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, was also inspirational to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was different significantly in comparison to

(C) has a pretty severe subject-verb error: “repertory, views… and vocal style…” needs a plural verb, “were influential”, not “was influential.”

(C) also has some of the same “crappy stuff” we saw in (A): “was inspirational” is a crappy way to say “inspired”, “that included” is a poopy version of “including”, and “was different significantly in comparison” is a tragically bad way to say “differed significantly.”

So we have lots of reasons to ditch (C).

Quote:
(D) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to

(D) has exactly the same subject-verb error as (C): “repertory, views… and vocal style…” needs a plural verb, so “was influential” is wrong.

And again: there's lots of crappy stuff here. The phrase “music of whom” is a ridiculous way to say “whose music”, and “differed significantly when compared to” is a really inefficient way to say “different significantly from.”

So (D) is gone, too.

Quote:
(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of

If you’ve seen our videos on pronouns or comparisons, you’ve heard me talk about the phrase “that of” (also discussed in this article). In this case, “that” is a singular pronoun, which seems to refer to “music.”

Trouble is, when you re-read that part of the sentence with “music” replacing “that”, it doesn’t really make sense: “…including Elvis and Jerry, whose music was significantly different from the music of his own.” Huh? The phrase “…different from the music of his own” makes no sense. Why not just say “different from his own” instead?

Plus, (E) also features some crappy stuff again: “were an influence” isn’t as sharp as “were influential”, and “was an inspiration” is a lousier version of “inspired”. Those things aren’t WRONG, but they’re definitely not great.

So (E) is out, and (B) is our best bet.

Hi GMATNinja, AndrewN

to (A):

1. I read in the forum that for lists, the passive form is preferred ( her x,y, and z were impressive vs impressed. Here is the question, with explanation from Bunuel: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-company- ... 54265.html).
2. The 'was also' for me is important because it clearly refers back to the musician. Just 'also' could mean that his repertory, musical collaboration, and vocal style were an inspiration to many musicians. So this is why I would prefer the option with 'was'

These are the two reasons why I prefer (A). Just the 'including seems to be better in option (B).

Could you please elaborate?

Thanks
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
hadimadi wrote:
Hi GMATNinja, AndrewN

to (A):

1. I read in the forum that for lists, the passive form is preferred ( her x,y, and z were impressive vs impressed. Here is the question, with explanation from Bunuel: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-company- ... 54265.html).
2. The 'was also' for me is important because it clearly refers back to the musician. Just 'also' could mean that his repertory, musical collaboration, and vocal style were an inspiration to many musicians. So this is why I would prefer the option with 'was'

These are the two reasons why I prefer (A). Just the 'including seems to be better in option (B).

Thanks

Hello, hadimadi. It is always a pleasure to be mentioned alongside GMATNinja. I will offer my thoughts on your queries in my own way. Concerning your first point, that other question is clearly a plagiarized version of this one—the answer choices follow the same patterns, one by one—so it is not worthy of study or discussion. Changing a few words does not create a new question. Stick to this thread. Regarding verb tenses in this question, either the active or passive construct could work, so I would turn to another consideration to separate answer choice (A) from (B).

Moving on to the second point, you are correct: was also in the original sentence comments on the musician—Bill Monroe... was also an inspiration... Still, there is a noticeable lack of parallelism in the two elements joined by also: a, b, and c were influential on [noun] and d was also an inspiration to [noun]. In the former, influential is an adjective; in the latter, an inspiration is, of course, a noun. On the GMAT™, I would look for tighter parallelism, as in, an influence... an inspiration. I would mark this lack of parallelism as a doubt, not grounds for immediate elimination. Notice how answer choice (B) follows a parallel verb pathway: a, b, and c influenced [noun] and d also inspired [noun]. A much stronger case can be made for (B).

Next, we have to confront the comma plus that in the original sentence, because it is unusual to see an essential modifier interrupted on either side by punctuation. What is the sentence aiming to convey?

1) whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists... that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia

2) Bill Monroe... was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia

At best, the first interpretation makes me wonder why the sentence is seesawing between a main clause on Bill Monroe and a modifying clause. Remember, we already had to seek to justify was also, so if we think of Bill Monroe as element X and the whose clause as element Y, we have two parts of a sentence that seem to be tripping over each other for airtime: X, Y, X, Y... That is, Bill Monroe (X), whose (Y)..., was also (X)..., that included (Y)... There is no reasonable argument that can be made that this sentence conveys the vital meaning in a clear and direct manner.

If we go with the second interpretation above, it begs the question, why does this particular that get special treatment with the comma, when we would expect to see musicians that? Is it some kind of little-known aside or afterthought? The GMAT™ may not be a test of punctuation per se, but if Elvis and Jerry Garcia are meant to belong to this group of musicians, since we cannot negotiate the comma, we would expect to see a non-restrictive which or even who instead. Ask yourself, Does answer choice (B) address and rectify these concerns? The answer is yes, it does. The modifying phrase bypasses the dual interpretation above:

Bill Monroe, whose... generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia

There is no question whether Elvis and Jerry Garcia belong to the group bluegrass artists (this is not a music history course, after all) or musicians. The grammatical structure has taken care of everything.

In short, I have a few legitimate causes for concern in the original sentence, whereas I have none with answer choice (B), so I have to favor the latter. It is not a matter of preference, but of what gets the point across in a clear and concise manner. (Still, looking at my timer data, I spent 1:48 answering the question, perhaps because there was a lot to take in, so it is not as though the question was a breeze for me.)

I will be curious to see what Charles adds to the dialogue. Thank you for thinking to ask for my assistance.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hadimadi wrote:

Hi GMATNinja, AndrewN

to (A):

Thanks

I don't have much to add to Andrew's thoughtful, comprehensive answer. (And AndrewN, the feeling is mutual!)

I'll add a couple of small points on your first question. First, there's absolutely no reason to believe that passive voice is preferred when dealing with a list. Ignore that.

Second, if I have a construction such as: "Curry, Thompson, and Green were impressive in Game Five," that's not passive voice. When we use the passive voice it means the action is performed on the subject. Here, have an example:

"Doncic was dunked on by Wiggins with such ferocity that Jason Kidd's head exploded."

This one is passive voice because the action "was dunked on" was performed on the grammatical subject, "Doncic." In this example, Wiggins -- who is not grammatically the subject of the sentence -- actually performs the action.

While this construction isn't wrong, it also isn't clear why the writer wouldn't use the simpler active construction: "Wiggins dunked on Doncic..."

All to say, Andrew is 100% correct that passive vs. active is generally not a great decision point to use. It's better to rely on more concrete issues.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
Hi Experts,

I read in the Manhattan sentence correction book that the word 'that' when used as a pronoun is an essential modifier, and 'that' cannot be preceded by a comma.
This was my only reason to eliminate option A. Although I found other things to be crappy in option A as mentioned by the experts, I don't want to eliminate options just for crappiness. Nevertheless, I didn't see any expert mentioning the usage of 'that' after a comma. Would appreciate some insights from my fellow experts.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [2]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll [#permalink]
Kudos
Vegita wrote:
I read in the Manhattan sentence correction book that the word 'that' when used as a pronoun is an essential modifier, and 'that' cannot be preceded by a comma.
This was my only reason to eliminate option A.

Yes, that is the traditional norm: when the word THAT is used as a relative pronoun (as in Option A), it should introduce an essential modifier.

This is a pared-down version of Option A:
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own

Here are two plus one reasons to eliminate Option A:

Reason 1
Reason 1 is what you wrote. A non-essential modifier after a comma should not begin with THAT. It can begin with WHICH or WHO (or some other pronouns).

Reason 2
When we talk about people, we should use WHO or WHOM, not THAT and not even WHICH.

Adding Reason 3 Concision
Why say Musicians that included Elvis etc when we can say Musicians including Elvis etc

More about THAT (just for info)
THAT can also be used as a demonstrative pronoun, as in this sentence: That is a healthy activity.
The above is a proper, complete sentence.

Of the three sentences below, only the third is acceptable:
1. He loves to play football, it is a healthy activity.
2. He loves to play football, that is a healthy activity.
3. He loves to play football, which is a healthy activity.

The first two sentences have two independent clauses linked by commas (call them run-on sentences or comma splices). That is a fatal error in the GMAT.

Note
Some words that can be used as relative pronouns are THAT, WHICH, WHO, WHOM.
Some words that can be used as demonstrative pronouns are THAT, THIS, THOSE, THESE.

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vegita wrote:
Hi Experts,

This was my only reason to eliminate option A. Although I found other things to be crappy in option A as mentioned by the experts, I don't want to eliminate options just for crappiness. Nevertheless, I didn't see any expert mentioning the usage of 'that' after a comma. Would appreciate some insights from my fellow experts.

Hello Vegita,

To answer your query, the use of the "comma + that" construction is typically incorrect, however, in some rare cases "that" can be preceded by a comma.

In such cases, the preceding comma must be part of a pair of commas that offset extra information, and the noun that predes the first comma must be one that "that" can correctly and logically refer to.

To understand the rare case when "That" is preceded by a comma, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal

I am unable to understand what is the subject for the verb "were influential"
is it
Bill Monroe - in this case verb will be singular
or
Repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style - in this case verb will be plural
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rickooreo

The subject for influenced/was influential/were influential is "repertory, views, and style." We can tell because that part of the sentence is all part of a modifier. The main core of the sentence is "Bill Monroe also inspired many musicians." In between the subject (B. Monroe) and the verb (inspired), we have a modifier: "whose R.V. & S were influential." The modifier applies to Bill Monroe, but it contains its own compound subject and verb.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
In option B there is a comma between musicians and verb-ing modifier. If verb-ing modifier is modifying the musicians then comma should not be there. And as comma is present so it acts as an action modifier.
Please clarify
Due Regards
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0077 wrote:
In option B there is a comma between musicians and verb-ing modifier. If verb-ing modifier is modifying the musicians then comma should not be there. And as comma is present so it acts as an action modifier.
Please clarify
Due Regards

Hello himanshu0077,

To answer your query, since the clause preceding the comma is not an independent clause, the present participle can modify the preceding noun rather than the entire clause.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos