Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6425 [117]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1713 [24]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6425 [17]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [6]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: One summer, floods covered low-lying garlic fields situated in a region [#permalink]
Kudos
Ahh this is the first question i lay my hands from the new og. Also thanks for posting such questions.
D. Sulphide present ----> no mosquito
Therefore no cause ---> no effect.
Option d says
No problem from sulphide therefore other insects are present
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [4]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: One summer, floods covered low-lying garlic fields situated in a region [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
WillGetIt wrote:
One summer, floods covered low-lying garlic fields situated in a region with a large mosquito population. Since mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, flooded fields would normally attract mosquitoes, yet no mosquitoes were found in the fields. Diallyl sulfide, a major component of garlic, is known to repel several species of insects, including mosquitoes, so it is likely that diallyl sulfide from the garlic repelled the mosquitoes.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) Diallyl sulfide is also found in onions but at concentrations lower than in garlic.

(B) The mosquito population of the region as a whole was significantly smaller during the year in which the flooding took place than it had been in previous years.

(C) By the end of the summer, most of the garlic plants in the flooded fields had been killed by waterborne fungi.

(D) Many insect species not repelled by diallyl sulfide were found in the flooded garlic fields throughout the summer.

(E) Mosquitoes are known to be susceptible to toxins in plants other than garlic, such as marigolds.

Regards
Vikas

Please hit kudos if you like this post

To be honest it's a really poorly constructed question for an official one. So we are looking fot something that says that garlic field repelled the mosquitoes...

(A) Diallyl sulfide is also found in onions but at concentrations lower than in garlic. --> clearly out of scope
(B) The mosquito population of the region as a whole was significantly smaller during the year in which the flooding took place than it had been in previous years. --> Great, if true it only weakens the argument that garlic fields repelled mosquitoes

(C) By the end of the summer, most of the garlic plants in the flooded fields had been killed by waterborne fungi -->one more weakener, if garlic plants have beend killed, so if garlic fields have been killed, then it's 100% that somethin other then garlic field repelled insects...
(D) Many insect species not repelled by diallyl sulfide were found in the flooded garlic fields throughout the summer --> derived on the answer choices by POE, as this answer choice doesn't convince me, BUT others are just worse....
(E) Mosquitoes are known to be susceptible to toxins in plants other than garlic, such as marigolds --> we are interested in the effect of garlic fields on insects... actually one more weakener
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [2]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
WillGetIt wrote:
One summer, floods covered low-lying garlic fields situated in a region with a large mosquito population. Since mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, flooded fields would normally attract mosquitoes, yet no mosquitoes were found in the fields. Diallyl sulfide, a major component of garlic, is known to repel several species of insects, including mosquitoes, so it is likely that diallyl sulfide from the garlic repelled the mosquitoes.

(A) Diallyl sulfide is also found in onions but at concentrations lower than in garlic.

(B) The mosquito population of the region as a whole was significantly smaller during the year in which the flooding took place than it had been in previous years.

(C) By the end of the summer, most of the garlic plants in the flooded fields had been killed by waterborne fungi.

(D) Many insect species not repelled by diallyl sulfide were found in the flooded garlic fields throughout the summer.

(E) Mosquitoes are known to be susceptible to toxins in plants other than garlic, such as marigolds.

Regards
Vikas

Please hit kudos if you like this post

My analysis :

Irrelevant

Where is diallyl sulfide here? We can't find any relationship with diallyl sulfide. Incorrect.
Moreover, if last year there were no flood, how mosquito could grow when garlic releases the diallyl sulfide?

Weaken. It says that there is another reason rather than sulfide.

Correct. It strengthens our argument.

Irrelevant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
Re: One summer, floods covered low-lying garlic elds situated in a region [#permalink]
Why not option E?

(E) Mosquitoes are known to be susceptible to toxins in plants other than garlic, such as marigolds. ---> (Giving an example of other plats)

It states that the mosquitoes are easily influenced by toxins in plants other than garlic, such as marigold

Please note that DS is not toxin, so not any toxin/pesticide/factor but DS is responsible for repelling the mosquito.

GMATNinja please help.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: One summer, floods covered low-lying garlic elds situated in a region [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
SJ1295 wrote:
Why not option E?

(E) Mosquitoes are known to be susceptible to toxins in plants other than garlic, such as marigolds. ---> (Giving an example of other plats)

It states that the mosquitoes are easily influenced by toxins in plants other than garlic, such as marigold

Please note that DS is not toxin, so not any toxin/pesticide/factor but DS is responsible for repelling the mosquito.

GMATNinja please help.

The author concludes that "diallyl sulfide from garlic repelled the mosquitoes." This conclusion is supported by the following facts:

• No mosquitoes were found in the fields, despite the fact that the region has a large mosquito population.
  • Diallyl sulfide is known to repel mosquitoes.

Let's now consider (E):

Quote:

It's hard to see how this is relevant to the argument. We're trying to strengthen the idea that diallyl sulfide from the garlic repelled the mosquitoes. But (E) only tells us about plants other than garlic, so it doesn't have any direct effect on our conclusion.

From another angle: we already know that diallyl sulfide is found in garlic, and that it repels mosquitoes. This answer choice doesn't add anything new to suggest that the diallyl sulfide from the garlic repelled the mosquitoes in this instance.

Since it isn't relevant to the argument, we can eliminate (E).

I hope that helps!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
One summer, floods covered low-lying garlic elds situated in a region [#permalink]
Hi AndrewN & MartyTargetTestPrep,

This question got me thinking a lot. As it's a strengthen type question, we need to add weight to the conclusion or provide a new piece of information that affirms the causality of the argument.

But, frankly, none of the choices seems to do that for me. I zeroed on (D) after POE. All the choices were not even relevant to the argument. But, (D) too, barely strengthens the cause-effect relationship stated in the conclusion.

The author's conclusion is: "it is likely that diallyl sulfide from the garlic repelled the mosquitoes", we need information that strengthens this idea. But, (D) instead brings in a piece of information that has no bearing on the conclusion. (D) says that, "Many insect species not repelled by diallyl sulfide were found in the flooded garlic fields throughout the summer." Fine. But, does that strengthen the point that "diallyl sulfide repelled the mosquitoes"? I feel there's still a gap and (D) does not bridge any.

The correct answer should have had something that really "increased my belief" into the statement that "diallyl sulfide DID repel the mosquitoes", does the information provided in (D) do that? I am not sure how.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
PyjamaScientist wrote:

This question got me thinking a lot. As it's a strengthen type question, we need to add weight to the conclusion or provide a new piece of information that affirms the causality of the argument.

But, frankly, none of the choices seems to do that for me. I zeroed on (D) after POE. All the choices were not even relevant to the argument. But, (D) too, barely strengthens the cause-effect relationship stated in the conclusion.

The author's conclusion is: "it is likely that diallyl sulfide from the garlic repelled the mosquitoes", we need information that strengthens this idea. But, (D) instead brings in a piece of information that has no bearing on the conclusion. (D) says that, "Many insect species not repelled by diallyl sulfide were found in the flooded garlic fields throughout the summer." Fine. But, does that strengthen the point that "diallyl sulfide repelled the mosquitoes"? I feel there's still a gap and (D) does not bridge any.

The correct answer should have had something that really "increased my belief" into the statement that "diallyl sulfide DID repel the mosquitoes", does the information provided in (D) do that? I am not sure how.

Hello, PyjamaScientist. I think your analysis is missing a crucial piece of information from the passage, the premise that builds up to the argument: Diallyl sulfide, a major component of garlic, is known to repel several species of insects, including mosquitoes. If diallyl sulfide is known to repel mosquitoes, and if many insect species not repelled by diallyl sulfide were found in the flooded garlic fields throughout the summer, then it seems reasonable to implicate diallyl sulfide in having kept the mosquitoes at bay.

I agree that no other answer choice is even remotely close to strengthening the argument. As much as possible, you want to see if you can put your finger on the straight-arrow logic that governs the flow of ideas within the passage. You may want to see this question on leaf beetles that follows a related path.

Thank you for thinking to ask. It is a pleasure to be mentioned alongside Marty.

- Andrew
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PyjamaScientist wrote:

Choice (D) provides a bit more reason to believe that "diallyl sulfide repelled the mosquitoes" by showing, in cases of insects on which diallyl sulfide has no repellent effect, there was no repellent effect.

In other words, since "flooded fields would normally attract mosquitoes," it stands to reason that SOMETHING repelled mosquitoes. OK, so, since the fields were garlic fields, maybe diallyl sulfide repelled mosquitoes.

Then, (D) says, "Many insect species not repelled by diallyl sulfide were found in the flooded garlic fields throughout the summer."

So, whatever repelled mosquitoes did not repel those insects.

That information allows us to eliminate some things that would have repelled a wider spectrum of insects, such as naphthalene or a fuel spill, giving us more reason to believe that it was indeed diallyl sulfide and not something else that caused there to be no mosquitoes in the fields.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Conclusion - Diallyl sulphide (DS) is the reason that no mosquitoes were found in the flooded garlic fields.
Type - Strengthen

(A) Diallyl sulfide is also found in onions but at concentrations lower than in garlic. - Okay onions may or maynot repel mosquitos, but doesn't tell us about the garlic field situation. Drop

(B) The mosquito population of the region as a whole was significantly smaller during the year in which the flooding took place than it had been in previous years - No impact since, we need to answer why flooded garlic fields had no mosquito. This is actually paradoxical information, since any species with low population would want to increase it's count, so why didn't they use the flooded garlic fields? Drop

(C) By the end of the summer, most of the garlic plants in the flooded fields had been killed by waterborne fungi. - Did the garlic plants get killed with fungi, yes. Did the flooded garlic fields have DS to repel mosquito? Maybe, can't say for sure. Drop

(D) Many insect species not repelled by diallyl sulfide were found in the flooded garlic fields throughout the summer - Confirms our suspicion, that it is indeed DS that caused the mosquitoes from laying eggs. Keep

(E) Mosquitoes are known to be susceptible to toxins in plants other than garlic, such as marigolds. Good, less mosquitoes, less problems. However, doesn't support the conclusion. Drop
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts