Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: How representative are the free practice GMAT's from their website [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
henrique1206 wrote:
Hey guys.

I just completed one of the free practice exams from the official GMAT website as a first step to identify the weaknesses I should focus on and I obtained an overall score of 690 with 20/31 on the quantitative part, 27/36 in verbal reasoning, and 8/12 in IR.

I will obviously be focusing on the quantitative part but I would like to know if it's normal to obtain scores as high as 690 in practice exams despite still missing a fair share of the questions?

Cheers.

Yes, henrique1206, I agree with bb: a 690 is an amazing "raw" score, better than where I started. To progress, you will want to take the time to understand where you made your mistakes (e.g., because of carelessness, lack of familiarity with a concept or question type, or rushing to finish). The Quant section has a more generous scoring curve, so you might not be as bad off as you think. I have seen 8 missed questions translate into a 50 in the section, but that is because the person missed only harder questions. And therein lies the key to success on the exam: look to limit any damage from Easy or Medium questions so that you keep seeing harder ones.

You may want to check out the GMAT Study Plan that bb has outlined in another post, if you have not already.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: How representative are the free practice GMAT's from their website [#permalink]
Kudos
How representative are the free practice GMAT's from their website

Probably fair to say they are the gold standard.

What are the GMAT scores of top MBA Schools?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi henrique1206,

A 690 is an outstanding initial CAT score (the Average Score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). Assuming that you took this CAT/mock in a realistic fashion (for example, you didn't see any questions that you already knew the answers to and you didn't do anything that you are not allowed to do on the Official GMAT, such as pause the Test), then you are likely a really strong overall critical-thinker. The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize - and it takes into account more than just the number of correct and incorrect answers.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What study materials do you currently have access to?
2) What is your overall goal score?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1433 [1]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Kudos
Hi henrique1206,

You have already got answers to your queries from experts. I also agree with them that no other CATs are as good as official ones. To have an idea of scoring algorithms, you can look at a score calculator too.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/gmat ... alculator/

Good Luck!
GMAT Club Bot