Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask Experts' Global [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jahnvisangal wrote:
Hello, can someone please evaluate my profile for ISB YLP, I’m planning to apply in 2022. Female, Non-engg, Class 10- 9.2/10, Class 12- 92.25%, Undergrad in Accounting+Economics- cgpa 9 till 2nd year. Achievements- National Level Dancer, Published article/3rd position in IIM Rohtak, Featured in 8+ digital news magazines, Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certified. Extracurricular: Internships- Dabur India Ltd, IndiaMart Intermesh Ltd, Mashreq Bank Dubai (yet to start). POR- State President, Women’s Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Head of Research Department, Consulting Club (college). Creative Director, Woodsville Academy (educational startup). Editorial Board, Economics Research Wing (college). Will be joining KPMG full time in their Audit department after graduation. Also, what should be my target GMAT score? Any help would be greatly appreciated :please:

Hi jahnvisangal,

From what you have shared here, you definitely have a lot going for you. Of course, a lot will depend on how well you draft your essays.

While no score is enough, a score in excess of 710 should give you a competitive chance. Needless to say, the higher the better.

All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
Can we use "Where" to modify events, time, or periods ?
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
Can we use "Where" to modify events, time, or periods ?

Hello AbhishekDhanraJ72,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, no; "where" can only be used to refer to physical locations; "where" is used to refer to points in time.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41 (Online)
GPA: 3.06
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Ask Experts' Global [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hello,

I hope you are doing well.
My name is Navneet Kumar and I am planning to apply in various 1/2 year FT-MBA (Domestic and International) courses this year, for classes starting in 2023.

I am 36 and have a total experience of 14 years. I have worked in a steelmaking PSU for last 12 years in mid-level production and planning roles. Prior to this, I worked in IT and Education sectors for 22 months and 4 months respectively.

I am looking forward to expand my career advancement opportunities and gain a deeper management perspective through exploring various opportunities in Consulting, General Management and Operations Management roles, which will provide me with the managerial experience and impetus required for senior management roles in future. Also, l look forward to hone my leadership and personnel management skills to further help me improve the managerial aspect of my so far technical dominated career.

My GMAT score is 760. I haven’t taken an English proficiency yet but will do if required by my target schools or if VISA authorities require me to.

EDUCATION

Kendriya Vidyalaya, Pusa - 10th (2001), 88.8%
DAV JVM Shyamali, Ranchi- 12th (2003), 66.8%
BIT Sindri - B.Sc. Engineering - Metallurgical Engineering (2003-2007), 70.22%(Distinction)

I volunteer at a special school for differently abled children and an orphanage for underprivileged kids.
My hobbies are photography, astronomy, gardening, driving and reading books.

My target schools are: -
1. ISB
2. IIMA
3. IIMB
4. IIMC
5. INSEAD
6. HEC PARIS
7. SAID OXFORD
8. TEPPER
9. KELLEY
10. JUDGE CAMBRIDGE
11. HAAS
12. FUQUA
13. JOHNSON
14. YALE
15. SDA BOCCONI
16. LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL
17. EMORY GOIZUETA
18. ROSS
19. KENAN FLAGLER
20. IESE

I understand the list is very big, and I hope to truncate it down to a more manageable number.
I request you to please review my profile and tell me what are my chances for admissions in my target schools.
Regards,
Navneet
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
adityassai wrote:
Hi Experts,

Appreciate it if you could provide some feedback.

Age/Gender/Nationality: 27 (Male-Indian)
X - 9.6 GPA out of 10
XII - 92.9%
Undergraduate - 83% - Bachelor of Technology in Electronics & Communication Engineering (Tier 2 university)

GRE - 323 (Q 169 / V 154/ AWA 3.5)

Target School - ISB, US schools(Need advice on which schools are better for my profile)

Work experience:
• 5 years in management consulting (1 of the Big 4)
• Currently working as a consultant and functioning as data management & automation subject matter expert.
• Lead consultant in designing and developing data management models and reducing data model complexity by 30%.
• Collaborated with business stakeholders and vendors to manage project deliverables.
• Developed automation for a pharmaceutical client finance domain resulting in significant cost & time savings with accurate results and faster processing SLAs, reducing the processing time by almost 50%.
• Coordinated with business SMEs and project directors dispersed across China, Europe, and the US across geographies.

Other notable activities
• Social Impact Programs - Part of 3 yearly social impact programs. Conducted classroom teaching sessions and designed study material for government primary school students.
• Quality Review Board - Leading team of volunteers responsible for ensuring quality delivery according to the firm standards, in the automation space comprising of almost 20 project teams.
• Designed and steered multiple PowerPoint presentations for the office of CTO, one of which was presented in Member Firm Summit comprising of country heads.

University Extra-curricular:
• Captain, Badminton team in the college.
• Organizing committee member of college sports fest.

Volunteering:
• College Alumni Mentor - Mentoring pre-final year and final year students for their campus placements.
• New Hire Boarding - Assist new hires in a smooth transition into the organization. Help the profession in explaining the work and communicate the unwritten rules of the company’s culture.
• Digital Marketer - Planning and managing marketing campaigns to promote an E-commerce company’s brand and products. This is a freelancing activity, and my sister & brother-in-law’s newly launched company.

Miscellaneous:
• Multiple automation certifications
• Data Management certifications
• Business English certifications
• 1 time Special Eminence Award -
• 3 times Applause award - For designing and delivering solutions to the clients.

----CONTINUTAION

Miscellaneous:
• Multiple automation certifications
• Data Management certifications
• Business English certifications
• 1 time Special Eminence Award -
• 3 times Applause award - For designing and delivering solutions to the clients.
• 1 time Spot award - For volunteering for an Annual IT Business Continuity Plan to test the IT infrastructure

Why MBA:
The field that interests me is consulting. I like to solve problems and believe that my technical and analytical skills help me find optimal solutions.
An MBA will help me refine various strengths like business problem solving, communication, corporate strategy, and analysis of business situations and issues.
Short-term goal is to get into one of the MBB firms, and long-term goal is to ultimately open my own consulting firm.

Hello,

I am an ISB Alum, CO15, and have been assisting applicants to get into global business schools since then.

For the ISB program, your GRE score is competitive. You have a good amount of projects and achievements adorning your profile. Please focus more on the outcomes of all the projects you have undertaken. Also, focus those details that actually add value to your application, and avoid including unnecessary details. Connect your achievements and program values in your essay. Showcase how the ISB program resonates with you and what values you want to gain from it.

For US Schools, you can target the top 30 schools. If you aim on improving your scores, you will have a shot at the top 15 schools in the US. For detailed evaluation, do contact privately.

Wish you good luck!

Please feel free to contact us @crackadmission.com for any other queries you might have.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
jahnvisangal wrote:
Hello, can someone please evaluate my profile for ISB YLP, I’m planning to apply in 2022. Female, Non-engg, Class 10- 9.2/10, Class 12- 92.25%, Undergrad in Accounting+Economics- cgpa 9 till 2nd year. Achievements- National Level Dancer, Published article/3rd position in IIM Rohtak, Featured in 8+ digital news magazines, Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certified. Extracurricular: Internships- Dabur India Ltd, IndiaMart Intermesh Ltd, Mashreq Bank Dubai (yet to start). POR- State President, Women’s Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Head of Research Department, Consulting Club (college). Creative Director, Woodsville Academy (educational startup). Editorial Board, Economics Research Wing (college). Will be joining KPMG full time in their Audit department after graduation. Also, what should be my target GMAT score? Any help would be greatly appreciated :please:

Hello Jahnvi,

I am an ISB Alum, CO15, and have been assisting applicants to get into global business schools since then.

You should target a score above 710 for ISB YLP. You have a good amount of extracurricular activities. Incorporate in your essay how this program will help you progress and achieve your goals. Do focus more on the results you have achieved in your work and in other projects. Mention your team leading experience and how it helped you grow.

Wish you good luck!

Please feel free to contact us @crackadmission.com for any other queries you might have.
Send PM
Expert Reply
NavneetKumar7 wrote:
Hello,

My name is Navneet Kumar and I am planning to apply in various 1/2 year FT-MBA (Domestic and International) courses this year, for classes starting in 2023.

I am 36 and have a total experience of 14 years. I have worked in a steelmaking PSU for last 12 years in mid-level production and planning roles. Prior to this, I worked in IT and Education sectors for 22 months and 4 months respectively.

I am looking forward to expand my career advancement opportunities and gain a deeper management perspective through exploring various opportunities in Consulting, General Management and Operations Management roles, which will provide me with the managerial experience and impetus required for senior management roles in future. Also, l look forward to hone my leadership and personnel management skills to further help me improve the managerial aspect of my so far technical dominated career.

My GMAT score is 760. I haven’t taken an English proficiency yet but will do if required by my target schools or if VISA authorities require me to.

EDUCATION

BIT Sindri - B.Sc. Engineering - Metallurgical Engineering (2003-2007), 70.22%(Distinction)

I volunteer at a special school for differently abled children and an orphanage for underprivileged kids.

1. ISB
2. IIMA
3. IIMB
4. IIMC
5. INSEAD
6. HEC PARIS
7. SAID OXFORD
8. TEPPER
9. KELLEY
10. JUDGE CAMBRIDGE
11. HAAS
12. FUQUA
13. JOHNSON
14. YALE
15. SDA BOCCONI
17. EMORY GOIZUETA
18. ROSS
19. KENAN FLAGLER
20. IESE

I understand the list is very big, and I hope to truncate it down to a more manageable number.
I request you to please review my profile and tell me what are my chances for admissions in my target schools.
Regards,
Navneet

Hello NavneetKumar7,

Thanks for writing in.

You have an excellent GMAT score and the same will definitely prove to be a value add and give you a good chance at some of the schools you are considering.

We don't think you have a prior management degree. Thus, most 1-year MBA programs in the US would not really be suitable as they have a strong preference for those with prior management education. Having said that, you can definitely target some 2-year programs in the US (you must skip the US top ~12 schools despite your stellar GMAT as they are very keen on younger candidates) that are relatively more open to senior candidates as well as look at schools in Europe and the UK.

While we cannot comment on the exact list on this portal, some schools such as Kenan Flagler, IESE, and the IIM's are definitely worth a shot. If you are open to Spain despite the employment risks involved, the top Spanish programs are open to senior candidates as well.

Regarding your goals, we would recommend that you avoid the Consulting route as your years of experience and background are way more suited for an Operations Management story.

We work with a number of candidates with high years of experience, every year and have the experience of helping them make it into top-notch global programs. Feel free to schedule a free profile evaluation with us and we can always discuss your prospects in greater detail.

Hope this helped.

All the best!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
NavneetKumar7 wrote:
Hello,

EDUCATION

1. ISB
2. IIMA
3. IIMB
4. IIMC
5. INSEAD
6. HEC PARIS
7. SAID OXFORD
8. TEPPER
9. KELLEY
10. JUDGE CAMBRIDGE
11. HAAS
12. FUQUA
13. JOHNSON
14. YALE
15. SDA BOCCONI
17. EMORY GOIZUETA
18. ROSS
19. KENAN FLAGLER
20. IESE

Regards,
Navneet

Greetings,

Your GMAT score is excellent and will surely make your application strong and a stellar application focusing on your goals and ambitions must make your application competitive. I would also suggest an Executive MBA since you have the experience for it and also want to pursue a short-term MBA. Your chances in most of the schools would be strong, however, you might want to consider EMBA. I understand you might have queries regarding this so do feel free to contact me privately for help and consultation.

LINK for a FREE Profile Evaluation : https://forms.gle/ui1PDjmkjkwH1SgU8

Feel free to contact us @ @crackadmission.com for any other queries you might have.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Which one is correct? Many of students is playing OR Many of students are playing. Please explain.
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
Which one is correct? Many of students is playing OR Many of students are playing. Please explain.

Hello AbhishekDhanraJ72,

To answer your query, the correct usage is "Many of the students are playing."

Remember, "many", "any", "none", "all", and "some" can be plural or singular, depending on the number of the noun they refer to; here, "many" refers to the plural noun "students", so it is plural and must take the plural verb "are".

To understand the concept of "Many", "Any", None", "All", and "Some" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Originally posted by ExpertsGlobal5 on 27 May 2022, 05:04.
Last edited by ExpertsGlobal5 on 27 May 2022, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you for the explanation. And can you please also talk about MUCH rules. which one is correct? Many of students is playing OR Many of students are playing. Please explain.

Which one is correct in these two sentences. Much of the honesty is real. Or Much of the honesty are real.

Originally posted by AbhishekDhanraJ72 on 27 May 2022, 05:21.
Last edited by AbhishekDhanraJ72 on 27 May 2022, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
Thank you for the explanation. And can you please also talk about MUCH rules. which one is correct? Many of students is playing OR Many of students are playing. Please explain.

Which one is correct in these two sentences. Much of the honesty is real. Or Much of the honesty are real.

Hello AbhishekDhanraJ72,

To answer your query, "much" is always singular because it is only used to refer to singular and uncountable nouns (such as "honesty").

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you for explaining. If you can explain one more thing then it would be great. I always have this question in mind. If THAT modifies the noun before it. As in example I like movies that is short. Here THAT modifies movies. Then what THAT modifies in this example. I understand that studying is hard, but we have to do it. Understand or studying is hard?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hello experts! :)

I would love to get your feedback on my profile, since I am a bit lost about what I should do in the next few years. The main question would be:
1) Does it make sense for me to do an MBA?
2) If going for an MBA seems worth it, what exact GMAT score should I aim for?
3) Let's say I can get 700-720 on the GMAT, which top US schools could I target?

Here's a bit more about myself:

Female Italian, currently 24yo and considering starting MBA at 27 with around 5 years of experience

GMAT: around 700 (I haven't taken the real test yet, since I am not sure if/when I am going to apply to business school)

Education:
-High school in Italy (GPA 3.28) and one year in the USA (GPA 3.99)
-Undergraduate degree in Finance & Financial Markets at a small Italian university (3.97 GPA - top 1% and merit based scholarship received) + two academic semesters abroad (Spain & Poland)
-Master in Management degree from a top French Business school (program ranked 5th worldwide according to FT) with 3.8 GPA (top 10%) and a semester "abroad" (online to due covid) at a leading Canadian university

Work experience:
-During undergraduate:
1) Two months internship at a small accountancy firm in Italy
2) Four months work at the family owned agribusiness consulting firm in Italy
3) Two months internship at the Italian Chamber of Commerce in Ukraine
4) Two months internship at a project management consulting firm working on EU tenders and calls of proposals in Belgium
-During graduate:
1) Two years apprenticeship contract (work and study program) in change management & financial controlling at a leading French tech company
-After graduation:
1) Six months as a Business Developer Manager at a French leading shipping company in the Philippines
2) Will be joining BCG as an Associate in Europe in a few months and planning to stay at the firm for at least two years

Other info:
-Been campaigning for LGBTQ+ rights since I was a teenager with different associations and in different countries + I was the president of the LGBTQ+ association at my business school, promoting inclusion within the cohort and organizing events with external companies (mostly MBB, Big 4 and Tech)
-Volunteered as an English teacher in Uzbekistan for two months
-Group leader for several youth projects financed by EU (in Armenia and Georgia)
-I speak four languages fluently (I have worked and studied in all these languages) and I am actually learning a fifth one
-I have lived in nine countries and visited 80+ countries worldwide
-Played basketball at regional level while in high school and joined the basketball team of my French bschool during my master's

Overall, I think that the main thing that makes me unsure about my chances at top US school is my undergraduate degree from a very unknown university in Italy. Do you think that having attended a prestigious business school for my graduate education could offset this aspect?

Thank you for taking the time to go through my long post and for your precious advices!
Send PM
Expert Reply
monigu wrote:
Hello experts! :)

I would love to get your feedback on my profile, since I am a bit lost about what I should do in the next few years. The main question would be:
1) Does it make sense for me to do an MBA?
2) If going for an MBA seems worth it, what exact GMAT score should I aim for?
3) Let's say I can get 700-720 on the GMAT, which top US schools could I target?

Here's a bit more about myself:

Female Italian, currently 24yo and considering starting MBA at 27 with around 5 years of experience

GMAT: around 700 (I haven't taken the real test yet, since I am not sure if/when I am going to apply to business school)

Education:
-High school in Italy (GPA 3.28) and one year in the USA (GPA 3.99)
-Undergraduate degree in Finance & Financial Markets at a small Italian university (3.97 GPA - top 1% and merit based scholarship received) + two academic semesters abroad (Spain & Poland)
-Master in Management degree from a top French Business school (program ranked 5th worldwide according to FT) with 3.8 GPA (top 10%) and a semester "abroad" (online to due covid) at a leading Canadian university

Work experience:
-During undergraduate:
1) Two months internship at a small accountancy firm in Italy
2) Four months work at the family owned agribusiness consulting firm in Italy
3) Two months internship at the Italian Chamber of Commerce in Ukraine
4) Two months internship at a project management consulting firm working on EU tenders and calls of proposals in Belgium
-During graduate:
1) Two years apprenticeship contract (work and study program) in change management & financial controlling at a leading French tech company
-After graduation:
1) Six months as a Business Developer Manager at a French leading shipping company in the Philippines
2) Will be joining BCG as an Associate in Europe in a few months and planning to stay at the firm for at least two years

Other info:
-Been campaigning for LGBTQ+ rights since I was a teenager with different associations and in different countries + I was the president of the LGBTQ+ association at my business school, promoting inclusion within the cohort and organizing events with external companies (mostly MBB, Big 4 and Tech)
-Volunteered as an English teacher in Uzbekistan for two months
-Group leader for several youth projects financed by EU (in Armenia and Georgia)
-I speak four languages fluently (I have worked and studied in all these languages) and I am actually learning a fifth one
-I have lived in nine countries and visited 80+ countries worldwide
-Played basketball at regional level while in high school and joined the basketball team of my French bschool during my master's

Overall, I think that the main thing that makes me unsure about my chances at top US school is my undergraduate degree from a very unknown university in Italy. Do you think that having attended a prestigious business school for my graduate education could offset this aspect?

Thank you for taking the time to go through my long post and for your precious advices!

Hello monigu,

Thanks for sharing a very detailed post.

Whether you should go ahead and do an MBA completely depends on what your goals are - something you have not shared in your post. However, if you are looking at career growth post BCG, it makes a lot of sense to go ahead with the same.

You have a profile that is diverse in numerous ways and this is going to be very advantageous. A score around 700 will give you a good chance at some of the US top ~18 schools. However, if you are looking at applying to the US top ~7 programs, we would suggest that you aim for a score upwards of 730. A 730, together with a set of essays that appropriately bring out your diverse candidature and clearly articulated career goals will ensure you have a strong chance at top-notch US schools that will value your international experience, the variety of experiences you have had, and your academic record.

Do not worry about your undergrad degree too much. You have enough going for you otherwise to help offset the same.

At this point, focus on your GMAT. Once that is out of the way, you may shortlist programs that are in line with your goals and proceed accordingly.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Send PM
Hi Team,

Would love to get a review on the below profile and chances for Finance Focused M7 B Schools in US

· Demographics (nationality, gender): Indian, Male, 29 years old

· Education (undergraduate institution, GPA, major - high school/entrance exams not needed): Bachelor of Engineering, BITS Pilani, India, 7/10

· Other coursework or post-undergraduate education: Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Considered as MBA but its more like MiM than MBA) at IIM Ahmedabad (Typically Ranked #1 Management School in India) , 3.5/4 (Top 10%); CFA Charterholder (Passed CFA L3 in 2015)

· GMAT or GRE or EA score (include section breakdown): 770 (Q51, V44, IR 6, AWA 5)

· Work experience (briefly highlight amount of work experience, industries, roles, promotions, special accomplishments, international exposure):
- 1 year at Credit Suisse Global Markets India before IIMA working as trade analytics support for the US Collateral Trading desk
- 2 years as Associate at leading Indian Investment Bank covering Digital Consumer Tech Startups. Raised $60mn for a digital content aggregator from 2 global growth equity players as well as raised $100mn for online movie ticketing platform led by a Global PE player
- 1.5 years as Investment Research Associate at India Office of large US Asset Management Firm (Total AUM of firm is $600bn+) where I initiated on 9 India healthcare companies with combined market cap of $75bn+ and also expanded my coverage to Asia Healthcare
- Currently for past 1 year as Junior Portfolio Manager at large Asian Asset Management Firm (Total AUM of firm is $250bn+) in its APAC Office (Think Singapore or HK) for its India Fund with AUM of $400mn where I am co-manager of the fund and have exclusive coverage and management of select sectors including Internet, Healthcare and Chemicals

· Extracurricular activities (briefly highlight notable undergraduate and post-undergraduate ones):
- Core member of student run initiative to teach underprivileged children and blue collar workers on campus. Coordinated basic computer education for a cohort of 60 children and 30 workers. Also mentored 2 children on an one-to-one basis to address their basic skills
- Core manager of Finance club at IIMA where I organized an trading simulation event in the business festival of the institute with participation of 150+ participants. Also conducted remedial sessions on finance courses like Corporate Finance and Derivatives
- Mentored an underprivileged 11th grade student for 1 year in 2021-22 to build his life and social skills through diverse activities like board games as well as advising on future career plus life choices
- Volunteered with a seed stage VC fund focused on student entrepreneurs as Investment Scout souring deals and promising startups for the fund. Scouted 10+ startups and 2 of those converted into investments for the fund too. Mentored 2 further cohorts of volunteers for investment scouts and still contribute to Investment Committee Meetings of fund as a non-voting participant
- Part of founding team of alumni chapter of IIMA in my current city. Volunteered to organize periodic alumni connect events as well as enable a platform for alumni to share both job openings as well as recreational activities together

· Post-MBA goals:
Short Term - Continue my career in Investment Management ideally at a larger asset manager like Capital Group. In case can't make the switch directly to a larger firm post MBA would even be willing to look at smaller buy side shops or even reputed sell side roles in the US
Long Term Key Goal - Open my own fund in the future and manage money of large institutional investors

· Target schools:
Given I already have graduate education from a top school, my target schools are Wharton, HBS, Columbia, Booth and Stern (Stanford seems a pretty long shot given my profile)

· Everything seems fine right now so why MBA?:
The idea of another Masters degree (or 2nd MBA) came about because I had applied to a large HF with $100+bn AUM in Asia and they had not even entertained my application even though they wanted an Indian who understood Indian Markets because I did not have MBA from the US or had not worked in the West. Given my key goal of opening my own fund, this felt like an eye opener as my current pedigree would always be a handicap when looking to raise money from LPs most of whom are global and appreciate global pedigree

Any other sticky points you envision beyond the age, UG GPA and 2nd MBA?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kaladin19 wrote:
Hi Team,

Would love to get a review on the below profile and chances for Finance Focused M7 B Schools in US

· Demographics (nationality, gender): Indian, Male, 29 years old

· Education (undergraduate institution, GPA, major - high school/entrance exams not needed): Bachelor of Engineering, BITS Pilani, India, 7/10

· Other coursework or post-undergraduate education: Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Considered as MBA but its more like MiM than MBA) at IIM Ahmedabad (Typically Ranked #1 Management School in India) , 3.5/4 (Top 10%); CFA Charterholder (Passed CFA L3 in 2015)

· GMAT or GRE or EA score (include section breakdown): 770 (Q51, V44, IR 6, AWA 5)

· Work experience (briefly highlight amount of work experience, industries, roles, promotions, special accomplishments, international exposure):
- 1 year at Credit Suisse Global Markets India before IIMA working as trade analytics support for the US Collateral Trading desk
- 2 years as Associate at leading Indian Investment Bank covering Digital Consumer Tech Startups. Raised $60mn for a digital content aggregator from 2 global growth equity players as well as raised $100mn for online movie ticketing platform led by a Global PE player
- 1.5 years as Investment Research Associate at India Office of large US Asset Management Firm (Total AUM of firm is $600bn+) where I initiated on 9 India healthcare companies with combined market cap of $75bn+ and also expanded my coverage to Asia Healthcare
- Currently for past 1 year as Junior Portfolio Manager at large Asian Asset Management Firm (Total AUM of firm is $250bn+) in its APAC Office (Think Singapore or HK) for its India Fund with AUM of $400mn where I am co-manager of the fund and have exclusive coverage and management of select sectors including Internet, Healthcare and Chemicals

· Extracurricular activities (briefly highlight notable undergraduate and post-undergraduate ones):
- Core member of student run initiative to teach underprivileged children and blue collar workers on campus. Coordinated basic computer education for a cohort of 60 children and 30 workers. Also mentored 2 children on an one-to-one basis to address their basic skills
- Core manager of Finance club at IIMA where I organized an trading simulation event in the business festival of the institute with participation of 150+ participants. Also conducted remedial sessions on finance courses like Corporate Finance and Derivatives
- Mentored an underprivileged 11th grade student for 1 year in 2021-22 to build his life and social skills through diverse activities like board games as well as advising on future career plus life choices
- Volunteered with a seed stage VC fund focused on student entrepreneurs as Investment Scout souring deals and promising startups for the fund. Scouted 10+ startups and 2 of those converted into investments for the fund too. Mentored 2 further cohorts of volunteers for investment scouts and still contribute to Investment Committee Meetings of fund as a non-voting participant
- Part of founding team of alumni chapter of IIMA in my current city. Volunteered to organize periodic alumni connect events as well as enable a platform for alumni to share both job openings as well as recreational activities together

· Post-MBA goals:
Short Term - Continue my career in Investment Management ideally at a larger asset manager like Capital Group. In case can't make the switch directly to a larger firm post MBA would even be willing to look at smaller buy side shops or even reputed sell side roles in the US
Long Term Key Goal - Open my own fund in the future and manage money of large institutional investors

· Target schools:
Given I already have graduate education from a top school, my target schools are Wharton, HBS, Columbia, Booth and Stern (Stanford seems a pretty long shot given my profile)

· Everything seems fine right now so why MBA?:
The idea of another Masters degree (or 2nd MBA) came about because I had applied to a large HF with $100+bn AUM in Asia and they had not even entertained my application even though they wanted an Indian who understood Indian Markets because I did not have MBA from the US or had not worked in the West. Given my key goal of opening my own fund, this felt like an eye opener as my current pedigree would always be a handicap when looking to raise money from LPs most of whom are global and appreciate global pedigree

Any other sticky points you envision beyond the age, UG GPA and 2nd MBA?

Hello Kaladin19,

Thanks for writing in.

You have a stellar GMAT score and a number of talking points in your profile. Your chances of making it to your target programs depend on the following:
a) Ability to tie your existing experiences on the professional front with your proposed career goals.
b) How aptly you portray your extra-curricular engagements to showcase yourself as someone with a holistic personality and how this will enable you to contribute to the program you hope to join.
c) Need for a second MBA - your reasons need to extend beyond just the fact that you were denied an opportunity owing to the lack of a US MBA. You might need to focus on the international opportunities, the fact that you were much younger when you did your first MBA, etc.
d) Strong reasons for the frequent job changes after graduating from IIM.
c) Leadership experiences, managerial potential, etc.

At this point, a set of compelling essays are what will truly decide your chances at the M7 programs.

Don't worry too much about the undergrad GPA as your GMAT score aptly establishes your ability to adjust to the demands of a rigorous MBA program. So, the fact that this will be your second MBA, as well as the reason for your job changes, is what will truly need some explanation.

See if you would like to extend the list of schools a bit. The schools in question are highly competitive and you might want to expand your list just a bit.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11